Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I want more, cheaper-looking TV

Give me black box theatre with actors cold-reading direct from scripts as long as it's high-concept sci-fi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

Give me black box theatre with actors cold-reading direct from scripts as long as it's high-concept sci-fi.
It would probably be very inexpensive (but potentially very niche) to film classic Trek episodes as stage plays with different actors. I think this has actually been done with a few Original Series episodes.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nessus posted:

It would probably be very inexpensive (but potentially very niche) to film classic Trek episodes as stage plays with different actors. I think this has actually been done with a few Original Series episodes.

I've kind of wanted to try something like that akin to Shakespeare in the Park. Do "Conscience of the King" for meta points.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nessus posted:

More than a few episodes could work like that. Chain of Command, Frame of Mind (:v:), In The Pale Moonlight, hell you could do the Omega Directive probably.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ANd all you mfs are gonna watch it anyway smh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Arivia posted:

More than a few episodes could work like that. Chain of Command, Frame of Mind (:v:), In The Pale Moonlight, hell you could do the Omega Directive probably.
Yeah when my non-trek-watching but stage-play-nerd friend and I watched the Khan episode while planning to see Into Darkness later that evening, he observed "this is just a 45 minute play huh". And while Trek isn't just that, I think that is its roots.

I'm imagining using spotlighting to reproduce the part where Quark and Nog are crawling through the vents and end up in Sisko's office.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

ANd all you mfs are gonna watch it anyway smh

I may watch it, but I shan't pay for it

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nessus posted:

Brawnfire posted:

I've kind of wanted to try something like that akin to Shakespeare in the Park. Do "Conscience of the King" for meta points.

There was a group in Portland that used to stage a different episode every summer. For free too. I don’t think they’re still active but it was really cool, they drew big crowds.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

No Dignity posted:

I may watch it, but I shan't pay for it

Your time is not worthless my friend

e: what's the bottle-est ST episode of all time

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zoux posted:

Shades of Gray, since it's a literal clip show.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

zoux posted:

Your time is not worthless my friend

I think the most correct answer is the alien observers episode in season 4 of Enterprise, which has 0 guest actors, 0 new sets, practically no special effects and is even a pretty good script that uses the entire main cast creatively to tell a good sci-fi story

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

As far as I'm concerned, Star Trek history ends at "What You Leave Behind, pt. 2", but I'm open to accepting LD into my personal canon with open arms because it mostly seems cool.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Most bottled episode I've seen in a while was an episode of TNG I just watched: Clues. Standard sets, standard cast, one new prop and one new SFX shot of some green energy hitting the shield.

I'm a little torn on the episode count thing: filming ~24 45 minute episodes seems like a misrable state of existance. But 10 episodes just seems way too short. 20 maybe?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Doing "Shuttlepod One" as a two-character dialogue, theatre-in-the-round style

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The most bottle episode is Ship in a Bottle because it has bottle in the title

The second most bottle episode is the one where Geordi has a ship in a bottle

The third most is the blooper where Worf says he never played with boys

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Mark of Gideon is up there for bottle shows also. Mostly filmed on an empty Enterprise with two actors (Kirk and his love interest) and one other set for the Gideon council room. Season 3 TOS, probably because of its shrinking budget, had a season-long problem with "tell, don't show".

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 10, 2023

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm a little torn on the episode count thing: filming ~24 45 minute episodes seems like a misrable state of existance. But 10 episodes just seems way too short. 20 maybe?

Seemed to be the sweet spot for Stargate. 20 episode seasons. 10 episodes with a mid-season cliff-hanger then after the holidays 10 more episodes that end in a season cliffhanger.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Twincityhacker posted:

I'm a little torn on the episode count thing: filming ~24 45 minute episodes seems like a miserable state of existence. But 10 episodes just seems way too short. 20 maybe?

14-16 sounds about right. Enough episodes to have a few time out/fun episodes, while not enough to burn everyone out completely.
If it's episodic just 10 like SNW seemed to work well. There was by my count two time out/fun episodes and eight "more serious" episodes. The more light hearted general tone also worked very much in it's favor with this of course.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Brawnfire posted:

Blake's Seven often has that old-school British sci-fi thing where half the time it feels like they're just shooting a play (and the other half they're running around a quarry) if you haven't seen it already (and depending on your tolerance for hammy 70s television)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

(and depending on your tolerance for hammy 70s television)

:getin:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Brawnfire posted:

Doing "Shuttlepod One" as a two-character dialogue, theatre-in-the-round style

Waiting for Dukat
A reworking of Samuel Beckett's play, but with two Bajoran workers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Waiting for Dukat
A reworking of Samuel Beckett's play, but with two Bajoran workers

The play ends with Dukat actually arriving and executing the both of them.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The play ends with Dukat actually arriving and executing the both of them.

Please, he'd hit on the woman and mercifully sentence the guy to ten years of extra-punishing slag hauling

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Timby posted:

Shades of Gray, since it's a literal clip show.

TECHINCALLY correct.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Bajoran 1: Who?

Bajoran 2: Er . . .

Bajoran 1: Dukat?

Bajoran 2: Yes.

Damar: I present myself: Damar.

Bajoran 1: Not at all!

Bajoran 2: He said Dukat.

Bajoran 1: Not at all!

Bajoran 2: You're not Mr. Dukat, Sir?

Damar: (terrifying voice). I am Damar!

(Silence.)

DAMAR!

(Silence.)

Does that name mean nothing to you?

(Silence.)

I say does that name mean nothing to you?

The Bajorans look at each other questioningly.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

No Dignity posted:

When you have 10 episode season it becomes much harder to justify scripts like 'the local bar owner's brother forms a union' or 'telepathic horny old lady makes everyone else horny because of space flu' as well, the old 20-26 episode seasons were a blessing for really letting the writers get into the weeds and have some fun lower stakes digressions

But I think that still falls on the quality of writing and production. Look at Mad Men, who could throw out one off stories that start and end in one episode while pushing the season arc into the B or C plot.

Like The Chrysanthemum and the Sword is only tangentially related to the the season's stories of Pete overtaking Roger in importance and the emergence of CGC as a rival, but tells an interesting story about pitching a client that they know they can't win. Unlike Chinese Wall six episodes later that's all Huge Over-Plot of the Series from beginning to end.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Brawnfire posted:

The Bajorans look at each other questioningly.

Bajorans once again expertly demonstrating why the Cardassian occupation was valid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I think too often the issue with serialized TV (and this is Discovery and Picard's BIG problem) and many movies is that they come up with an ending set-piece that they want to do and then back their way into it. They will also usually have a list of other set-pieces they want to do and specific character moments that they think would cool to include. Then the plot is loosely draped over that and serves only as a vehicle to get them from beat to beat. The writing and details are secondary at that point, it's mad libs to fill in the blanks to get them there.

If you look at the engadget review for Picard Season 3, you can see the frustration with that approach there. Characters don't drive the plot forward with their own agency, they simply react to things as they happen and scope their ability so as to not advance the plot too far. In this case, you have characters that we know are competent dumbing down their actions so that they don't get out in front of the writers and since the plot is just a vehicle to get them to the next set-piece, there's no further thought into obstacles that would actually appropriately stymie our characters. Characters become interchangeable cutouts without their former depth (or outright character assignations). Things happen just to happen. In their quest to have a serial story, they make the majority of the season interchangeable filler.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I think too often the issue with serialized TV (and this is Discovery and Picard's BIG problem) and many movies is that they come up with an ending set-piece that they want to do and then back their way into it. They will also usually have a list of other set-pieces they want to do and specific character moments that they think would cool to include. Then the plot is loosely draped over that and serves only as a vehicle to get them from beat to beat. The writing and details are secondary at that point, it's mad libs to fill in the blanks to get them there.

If you look at the engadget review for Picard Season 3, you can see the frustration with that approach there. Characters don't drive the plot forward with their own agency, they simply react to things as they happen and scope their ability so as to not advance the plot too far. In this case, you have characters that we know are competent dumbing down their actions so that they don't get out in front of the writers and since the plot is just a vehicle to get them to the next set-piece, there's no further thought into obstacles that would actually appropriately stymie our characters. Characters become interchangeable cutouts without their former depth (or outright character assignations). Things happen just to happen. In their quest to have a serial story, they make the majority of the season interchangeable filler.

I'm reading Leviathan Wakes right now - it's written in a prestige tv format, and that's fine, but this nails it 100%. Still a pretty good book.

I don't plan on watching Picard to see how well it applies there, no ty.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Burning_Monk posted:

O'Brien lives of course... so does Keiko.

Which O'Brien is alive anyway, seem to recall a couple of characters who were technically alternate versions of themselves with the originals dying?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Which O'Brien is alive anyway, seem to recall a couple of characters who were technically alternate versions of themselves with the originals dying?

They mentioned O'Brien, not Harry Kim.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

CPColin posted:

The most bottle episode is Ship in a Bottle because it has bottle in the title

The second most bottle episode is the one where Geordi has a ship in a bottle

The third most is the blooper where Worf says he never played with boys
Honorable mention to the TOS episode where the Enterprise gets shrunk down and put in a little cube on a necklace.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
O’Brien deliberately microwaved himself so he could see the future and then, after telling his future self what he knew, got replaced by him so he could die of massive radiation poisoning in peace

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Knormal posted:

Honorable mention to the TOS episode where the Enterprise gets shrunk down and put in a little cube on a necklace.

Without looking to confirm, I’d bet my life that was something you could buy from the Lincoln Enterprises catalog within a month or two of the episode airing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I find it hard to believe that Beverly Crusher MD has never heard of a loving head ache.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm not sure if the production had enough time to learn from Strange New Worlds, but you'd hope somebody at Paramount would realize that people don't actually want grim dark and pessimist Star Trek.

If Strange New Worlds teaches anything, it's that people will accept any crap as long as it has the right aesthetic.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Never liked the 60s show's aesthetic one tiny bit and I loving hate prequels, so I'm not sure how universal your hypothesis is.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

In a way, the Empath, even though it didn't use any established sets.

It's also the most stage-play episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Angry Salami posted:

If Strange New Worlds teaches anything, it's that people will accept any crap as long as it has the right aesthetic.

LividLiquid posted:

Never liked the 60s show's aesthetic one tiny bit and I loving hate prequels, so I'm not sure how universal your hypothesis is.

SNW and mid-century design are both great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah SNW set design is fantastic and the writing/characters are very fun and good.