Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I think the "rumor" was that Retro was making this game and planning on doing the full trilogy when Nintendo gave them Prime 4, so Retro finished Prime 1 in the summer of 2021 and then Nintendo sort of gave it to other teams as an example to follow for outsourced remasters of 2/3. It's been 2 years since then so if that's true then it wouldn't be too surprising to get 2/3 (probably not looking this good) over the next 12 months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I was coming at it from the point of view that industry rumors have implied that a MP1 remaster/remake was already largely finished way back in 2021. This game could've been held back while other stuff gets made, and then the release schedule happens to work out so that they get released shortly one after another in 2023/2024.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ChaseSP posted:

Yeah there's no reason that MP2R couldn't be in development right now given both games are roughly on the same engine after porting it to work on the switch.

With the way things have been working lately it could practically be done and we wouldn't know until they show it on a Direct.

I think it's unlikely that they only planned to remaster MP1.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

mp2 should be much easier than trying to polish mp3 at the least given it's effectively the same gameplay as mp1 and just needing a visual upgrade. In that I assume if MPR3 is a thing they're planning on it'll take much longer than MPR2 which is probably the core reason (besides money) that we aren't just seeing a full on trilogy.

ChaseSP fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 10, 2023

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Veotax posted:

Retro seemed to have some weird grudge against sequence breakers and 'fixed' a bunch of skips in every newer version of Prime 1 released. The loving Players Choice version released in the US had stuff blocking the sequence breaks, and the European version had some too. The Euro version also added the weird narration and changed some scans to fix plot holes. If the barrier around the Impact Crater is impenetrable, how did Metorid Prime, a Space Pirate experiment get in there? I think the Euro version changes that so Metroid Prime was there before the Pirates, somehow?

That fix had its own problems with how Metroid Prime somehow has beam powers despite never interacting with the Space Pirates in the revised storyline.

Also it made the Chozo Lore more vague.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It was the Space Pirate's Science Team's fault somehow.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

RBA Starblade posted:

Is Mogenar the first Phazon Guardian because gently caress that guy forever

Yes and for some reason Retro felt the need to add an extra hard difficulty called Hypermode that made him the hardest boss in the game due to how bulky he is. You basically have to be perfect because going into Phazon Hypermode is required to blow up his armor but it cost health to use and you have so little at that point you have to figure out how to perfectly blow up his orbs or else run out of health and make the fight impossible to win. There are other bosses, even minor ones that present annoying problems on Hypermode difficulty but he is by far the worst. The dude riding the bug that you have to use the grapple lasso on to damage its stomach is a similar case.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Veotax posted:

If the barrier around the Impact Crater is impenetrable, how did Metorid Prime, a Space Pirate experiment get in there? I think the Euro version changes that so Metroid Prime was there before the Pirates, somehow?

Yeah, the original story was the Metroid Prime was not a metroid (named that colloquially by the pirates) and was already in the meteor that struck Tallon IV. The PAL/Wii version changes the Metroid Prime into a normal metroid that entered the Impact Crater and was heavily mutated by phazon. The barrier inconsistency is sort of addressed in MP3, where it's revealed that metroids that are exposed to phazon mutate into Phazon Metroids, which have the ability to "warp out of local spacetime" for brief periods. Presumably the intended canon is that it was mutated by some of the phazon that escaped the containment, then used that ability to bypass the barrier.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thematically I think the Metroid Prime works much better as an apocalyse beast that landed with the meteor, but it's a shame that can't quite lead to a coherent series of events

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think every time I replayed this game after 2002 was on Hard mode so that's the only thing I remember, everything is dying so fast this time that it feels like I broke the game lol

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

i've been playing metroid 2 on the switch online emulator and it's been a pretty fun time. but it's really interesting how differently it's laid out compared to most other games that came later in the genre

most map-em-ups sprinkle upgrades and goodies pretty evenly around the map, so you're incentivized to poke around into every corner you can. metroid 2's map is laid out differently. it's largely sprawling wilderness where you mostly just find nasty aliens (and the metroid nests that you have to clear out), you don't find very many upgrade items out in the middle of nowhere. but you do find them in the chozo outposts that pop up every now and then. they're almost like mini dungeons, crammed full of hidden walls and bomb blocks and, most importantly, goodies! at the halfway point of the game i just cleared one out that had four major upgrades, an energy tank, and a shitload of missiles, all packed into a really dense little space. jackpot.

it makes sense, right? you're not going to find most of your missiles stuck into random walls in the middle of nowhere, you're going to find them in piles in the chozo's weapon depots. where else would they be? and it gives the game a unique pacing, where you mostly explore the more empty areas to find the next metroid nest until you trip over another chozo outpost and it becomes an item bonanza. it's not the steady trickle of upgrades as it is in other games of this type, instead it feels like you're occasionally striking pure gold.

i also quickly noticed that while the wilderness is filled with aliens and other fauna type enemies, the chozo depots are protected mostly by automated defences. they put a lot of thought into the layout and the worldbuilding of this tiny little game boy game. it's really impressive!

game's good. play it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bleck posted:

Yeah, the original story was the Metroid Prime was not a metroid (named that colloquially by the pirates) and was already in the meteor that struck Tallon IV. The PAL/Wii version changes the Metroid Prime into a normal metroid that entered the Impact Crater and was heavily mutated by phazon. The barrier inconsistency is sort of addressed in MP3, where it's revealed that metroids that are exposed to phazon mutate into Phazon Metroids, which have the ability to "warp out of local spacetime" for brief periods. Presumably the intended canon is that it was mutated by some of the phazon that escaped the containment, then used that ability to bypass the barrier.

You are correct that Metroid Prime always showed up in the meteor. Also in the original version, the Space Pirates somehow extracted it and ran experiments on it which was how it got their beam weapons. Then it got too strong so they sealed it back in the crater. Didn’t make a ton of sense considering the artifacts were needed to get into the crater and the space pirates only had some of them. The Wii version made things make even less sense, somehow.

MP still has the best log entry ever, about the space pirates trying to replicate the Chozo morph ball technology.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You are correct that Metroid Prime always showed up in the meteor. Also in the original version, the Space Pirates somehow extracted it and ran experiments on it which was how it got their beam weapons. Then it got too strong so they sealed it back in the crater. Didn’t make a ton of sense considering the artifacts were needed to get into the crater and the space pirates only had some of them. The Wii version made things make even less sense, somehow.

MP still has the best log entry ever, about the space pirates trying to replicate the Chozo morph ball technology.

I think this is also a sort of retcon for the expanded story since Prime 1 originally gave the impression that the Metroid Prime was the source of all Phazon and then later games established there is a planet of Phazon that sends out Phazon meteors everywhere (I think?)

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tender Bender posted:

I think this is also a sort of retcon for the expanded story since Prime 1 originally gave the impression that the Metroid Prime was the source of all Phazon and then later games established there is a planet of Phazon that sends out Phazon meteors everywhere (I think?)

Yeah that’s true too. Also Metroid Prime was never an actual Metroid, the space pirates dubbed it so because it seemed similar to a Metroid in its ability to absorb stuff, mainly weapons. I don’t think that changed in the retcon though?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jables88 posted:

Without any knowledge of this remaster - no, there are no QOL issues with Metroid Prime that needed fixing.
This is an incredibly rude and unhelpful response.

I find it very difficult to believe that you don't understand that other people are not you.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The one about treating the metroids like pets is good too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i'm pretty sure both of those are from prime 2 actually

prime 2 really went all in (well, you know. as all in as a metroid game is going to) on making the pirates the ineffectual comic relief bad guys since the ing were the new hotness in town

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The pirates reaction to finding out there are TWO HUNTERS being "we're hosed" is fantastic writing and I love MP2 purely from how great the logs are in that game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Amppelix posted:

i'm pretty sure both of those are from prime 2 actually

Wasn't it in the... wait you may be right. I got the metroid research sections mixed up.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ErrEff posted:

I was coming at it from the point of view that industry rumors have implied that a MP1 remaster/remake was already largely finished way back in 2021. This game could've been held back while other stuff gets made, and then the release schedule happens to work out so that they get released shortly one after another in 2023/2024.
Again, if you believe the leakers:

Retro was tasked to work on the Trilogy remaster while Bamco worked on Prime 4. Since Retro's level designers didn't actually have anything to do with Trilogy they were helping Bamco. But the results of MP1 were so impressive that Nintendo fired Bamco and tasked Retro to work on Prime 4.

Which probably means that Retro isn't working on Prime 2 & 3 right now. Is anyone? Who knows.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

EightFlyingCars posted:

i also quickly noticed that while the wilderness is filled with aliens and other fauna type enemies, the chozo depots are protected mostly by automated defences. they put a lot of thought into the layout and the worldbuilding of this tiny little game boy game. it's really impressive!
Metroid II is my favorite Game Boy game. I've probably replayed it a few dozen times over the years.

If you haven't already gotten there, the last area is fantastic. It's not that dramatically different from the rest of the game, but it really nails the subtleties of the atmosphere.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

ChaseSP posted:

The pirates reaction to finding out there are TWO HUNTERS being "we're hosed" is fantastic writing and I love MP2 purely from how great the logs are in that game.

Them wanting to bargain with Dark Samus was a hilarious touch, too.

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 10, 2023

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think the logs were trying to make them comedic relief so much as give the Pirates some personality since they are like most of the characters you actually interact with

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also Metroid Prime was never an actual Metroid, the space pirates dubbed it so because it seemed similar to a Metroid in its ability to absorb stuff, mainly weapons. I don’t think that changed in the retcon though?
In Prime 3 the leviathans are protected by boss that mimics a creature local to the planet the leviathan impacts, so presumably the Metroid Prime was already in there.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If they do re-release Prime 2, I think I might give it a second chance and finally beat it this time.

I really didn't think much of it last time. I hated beam weapon ammo, I wasn't into every environment being ugly on purpose (not as an artistic choice, mind; just as a personal preference) when Prime 1's environments were so beautiful, we'd already just done an evil Samus clone in Fusion, and the Light/Dark world gimmick was lifted straight from A Link to the Past.

But everybody here seems to really enjoy Prime 2, so there's gotta' be an appeal I missed last time. It does tend to happen. I can bounce off things only to later discover I could like them for what they are instead of disliking them for what they aren't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean fusion Samus really wasn’t Evil Samus. It was more like Samus versus her suit

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean fusion Samus really wasn’t Evil Samus. It was more like Samus versus her suit
Fighting a version of yourself is a theme they'd already explored, is more the point. The plot contrivances that bring that about aren't really important. Dark Samus didn't say anything the SA-X hadn't already said.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

My point is SA-X didn’t say anything. The point was literally just Samus fighting her own arsenal, which Dark Samus really isn’t

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

My point is SA-X didn’t say anything. The point was literally just Samus fighting her own arsenal, which Dark Samus really isn’t

SA-X was way cooler than Dark Samus in 3 which is way more lame than how Dark Samus is portrayed in 2 as this massive force interested purely in two things. Getting More Phazon and trying to kill you whenever you ran across each other.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

LividLiquid posted:

I can bounce off things only to later discover I could like them for what they are instead of disliking them for what they aren't.
MP2 is a game I want to like better than I do. I mean, I did enjoy it, but I bounced off it for over a decade and when I did finally plow through it, it felt like a slog in some ways.

I think your criticisms are valid. The game starts to open up more once you reach Torvus, but it doesn't change the fact that the gameplay loop in identical in each of the three major biomes.

It's weird. I like the individual components of MP2. I think it has some great set pieces. I'm glad I was able to experience Sanctuary Fortress for example. It's just a weird instance where somehow the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dark Samus is way different in its execution from SA-X. SA-X was an overpowered monster that you had no choice but to run away from until the very end of the game when you finally turned the tables on it. Dark Samus is more like a rival battle.
Also it’s insanely cool-looking

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

In Prime 3 the leviathans are protected by boss that mimics a creature local to the planet the leviathan impacts, so presumably the Metroid Prime was already in there.

It's not a mimic, it's actually something from that planet. On Tallon IV, it was a Metroid that mutated into Metroid Prime. On Bryyo it was a war golem, on Elysia it was a robot with a real brain and on the Pirate Homeworld it's straight up Ridley.

The only exception is Aether, where the Leviathan seems to create the species of the Ing out of nothing - maybe even literally out of nothing, like the concept of nothing. That game has some weird magical bullshit going on, but I love it.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the light energy on aether probably caused a crazy reaction with the leviathan or something

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
MP3 just seemed to retcon what Phazon actually was, making it more actively malevolent in a way.

The planet of Phazon is also pretty weird since there's straight up husks of other Metroid Primes lying there.
https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/metroid/images/2/2c/Prime_husks.png

Which also retcons the original American Lore anyway.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 11, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Here's a larger version of that image.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Remember when the shell was supposed to be mechanical armor and guns space pirates glued to it for funsies

Lol

I do like they kept trying to fix their good though

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

They decided to release a bunch of metroids for funsies or they escaped. Space pirates love accidentally releasing metroids onto other worlds.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

People talk about the space pirates being idiots are from two but it’s hilarious that their introduction is them trying to make Metroid’s into a weapon they can use……somehow

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Same with the uninspired corrupt branch of the Federation from Fusion/Other M.

Wouldnt be an Alien homage without dumbasses like that though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Hey the Federation was way more competent regarding the BSF and their bioweapons and metroid program. Not their fault the X is the loving ultimate hunter that can freely kill and imitate anything and had no idea even while having interest in it after the station goes to hell.