Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah i can't tell if i'm missing something or if that looks trendless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah i can't tell if i'm missing something or if that looks trendless

I can't believe poo poo like this was printed in a journal with an impact factor over 2. I am assuming the only reason it was accepted is because the corresponding author is a professor at an ivy league school and probably knows the head editor.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I draw a trend line through a buckshot pattern it's making poo poo up, but if I run it through a computer and it draws a trend line, that's data analysis.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
The main advantage of the Yellow/Amber/Red warning scale is that sometimes we get the Met Office issuing, with an entirely straight face, a Yellow Snow Warning

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure why they didn't go with "orange" but isn't that the same color as amber anyway? I know the taste is not the same.

"The color amber is a pure chroma color, located on the color wheel midway between the colors of yellow and orange."

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

:discourse:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Emmy_Trashfire/status/1624275245774393345

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Too many genders in one place and you have a gender criticality incident.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

OwlFancier posted:

Too many genders in one place and you have a gender criticality incident.

One recent gender criticality incident caused a meltdown measured at 4.6 Grahams.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Ariong posted:

One recent gender criticality incident caused a meltdown measured at 4.6 Grahams.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

3.6 genders. Not great, not terrible.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

posting without comment

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://quanticfoundry.com/2021/08/05/character-gender/

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

posting without comment
If you were posting with comment "gently caress yeah" I'd be more likely to assign your post a 7.5 quality.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Not exactly terrible but for the sake of clarity I would probably have grouped those differently

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i'm more amused by what i think is some fairly bad math in the article itself

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

posting without comment

Reading this and concluding that code without swears is often better but never perfect, so I should add swears to my mediocre code but not too the good stuff.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

138% of people prefer playing female characters. Checks out.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
9%? No way it's that low. I can't read today.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

9%? No way it's that low. I can't read today.

9% of women prefer playing male characters, right? Am I reading this incorrectly too?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Killingyouguy! posted:

9% of women prefer playing male characters, right? Am I reading this incorrectly too?

yeah I read it the other way around.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
They really ought to have grouped the bars by participant's gender and then color-coded the preferences rather than the other way around.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

DontMockMySmock posted:

They really ought to have grouped the bars by participant's gender and then color-coded the preferences rather than the other way around.

The annoying thing is another graph in the article does that! So it's just more confusing. This one tracks the average age of people in each category.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

90s Cringe Rock posted:

yeah I read it the other way around.

Ahhh okay.

As a woman who has always preferred playing male characters I'm actually surprised it's that low.
The female characters are always so... Boobular

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i was hoping for more on the metholody b/c there's also a significant difference between having a preference in a game where female and male presenting characters are options (like mass effect) or having a preference across games (i do/don't seek out and play games with women as protagonists). the fact that nb characters are even an option in the poll is a bit wild

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
What, you think you can tell me what qbert identifies as?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
- haha hilarious
- it's very rare to find a game that gives you the option of playing a nb character

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Some of the newer games will let you pick they pronouns, and some games just don't clearly portray the character's gender.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It's weird that Forza Horizon 5 was the first game that came to mind with that, but I guess it makes sense given that the "story" mostly revolves around people talking at you and telling you that you did a good job when you win.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Pyre and I Was A Teenage Exocolonist let you be nonbinary off the top of my head - Exocolonist has an androgynous-looking protagonist whose appearance doesn't change with your gender options, and Pyre's protagonist isn't given an appearance at all. There's also Wildermyth, but there no one character represents you so I'm not sure how that would play into the stats they're counting.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Saints Row's gender slider was such a big step forward, it was a drat shame they rolled it back to a binary choice for 3 and onward

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Saints Row's gender slider was such a big step forward, it was a drat shame they rolled it back to a binary choice for 3 and onward

in some ways i liked it but in other ways it felt like it was doing it as a joke, which i don't really enjoy. it's been a while since i've attempted to play sr2 though

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Yeah it was definitely played for wacky laughs, but if they weren't cowards they could've just stuck with it, and in future games it could just be a way to make your character nonconforming without making a big deal of it. Could've even potentially started a trend, and even if SR never approached it properly, someone else might've

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
I'm surprised bidets are more popular than the metric system.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao @ terror of roundabouts

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

sweek0 posted:

Who are the psychopaths that want the zero-privacy stall doors :psyduck:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

How does the electric kettles question account for America already having those

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

sweek0 posted:

Since when is it illegal to drink alcohol outside? :wtc:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Freaquency posted:

Who are the psychopaths that want the zero-privacy stall doors :psyduck:

I think there's basically a set of people who just want society to be poo poo because it's always been poo poo.