Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah not really feeling Bow knight Anna, rip that second seal. Back to High priest she goes. Or how different are the luck/mag caps for mage knight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

goatface posted:

I was talking about universal canter.

Oh sorry my bad

FrickenMoron posted:

Yeah not really feeling Bow knight Anna, rip that second seal. Back to High priest she goes. Or how different are the luck/mag caps for mage knight?

Mage Knight caps at 40 Mag/24 Luck according to Triangle Attack.

I loved Mage Knight Anna, she did great work with a levin sword

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

FrickenMoron posted:

Mage Knight has one of the worst luck caps in the entire game, so if you're trying to make $$$ Anna it's not the play.

Combat wise it's fine.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just got Jade and I think I'm going to pivot to her as my main General/Great Knight, she seems cool. I liked Louis at first but some of his recent supports have made him seem kind of like a serial killer

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tender Bender posted:

I just got Jade and I think I'm going to pivot to her as my main General/Great Knight, she seems cool. I liked Louis at first but some of his recent supports have made him seem kind of like a serial killer

Jade's been a mainstay of my crew and she's been fine. She does excellent work with smash weapons in particular, because she was never going to double enemies regardless and what does she care if a physical enemy gets a hit in.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tender Bender posted:

Louis is cool, he’s just completely unflappable. He also has the best voice in the game.

“I shall be your opponent.” :smug:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think next playthrough I’m going to make Goldmary my Great Knight to take advantage of her freakishly high Defense

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I made Goldmary this run a halberdier just to see the outfit.

I mean, I've never used her after she joined. I have a team of twelve I'm pretty happy with. But halberdiers do get a very swanky coat that I think she appreciates.

My A-team:

Alear/Corrin - paladin
Lapis/Marth - griffin knight
Chloe/Sigurd - wyvern knight
Merrin /Leif- wolf knight
Timerra/Eirika - picket
Ivy/Lucina - lindwurm
Citrinne/Celica - sage
Etie/Lyn - bow knight
Yunaka/Roy - thief
Jade/Ike - general
Framme/Micaiah - martial master
Celine/Byleth - martial master

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Feb 10, 2023

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

goatface posted:

Takes up a slot though.

I don’t really have a clear idea of what builds you can really do early-mid game. There’s not a lot of other skill sets I can think of expanding on and it’s a pretty safe “at least I know this will do something”.

EDIT: I also take perverse joy in having my Byleth unit take an action. Use Seadall to dance my Byleth Unit. Use Engage Attack on Seadall and 3 others and then having Seadall be able to dance on one of the buffed units or the Byleth units. It feels so ridiculous.

jimmydalad fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Feb 10, 2023

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Cythereal posted:

Jade's been a mainstay of my crew and she's been fine. She does excellent work with smash weapons in particular, because she was never going to double enemies regardless and what does she care if a physical enemy gets a hit in.

She actually has a decent personal spd growth. Put her in a class with any growth at all and she will be great. I reclassed her to warrior and it was a great move. She did so much work for me.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

General Jade has been pretty disappointing on my end. Might need to reclass her for my second playthrough.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

General Jade has been pretty disappointing on my end. Might need to reclass her for my second playthrough.

Jade’s design is S-tier and the fact that she loses the helmet even when she promotes is why this game needs a default costume patch STAT

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also the weird armor bell bottoms generals have is dumb

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

That said speaking of bell bottoms, I’m pleased Engaging with Roy gives people bell bottoms.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

General Jade got completely stuffed on levelups and was a huge disappointment for me. Couldn't hit, didn't do damage when she did hit, took way too much damage from everything. Just all around waste of a deployment slot, especially compared to Lapis the speed capped Sword General who was doubling every opponent with a Killing Edge while dodging half of the incoming hits and no-selling everything that managed to touch her.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ROFL Octopus posted:

Jade’s design is S-tier and the fact that she loses the helmet even when she promotes is why this game needs a default costume patch STAT

It's an absolute disgrace

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Metis of the Hallway posted:

It's an absolute disgrace

Citrinne's initial outfit: incredible, immaculate, divine. Citrinne reclassing into sage:

Notty
Jun 4, 2010

jimmydalad posted:

EDIT: I also take perverse joy in having my Byleth unit take an action. Use Seadall to dance my Byleth Unit. Use Engage Attack on Seadall and 3 others and then having Seadall be able to dance on one of the buffed units or the Byleth units. It feels so ridiculous.

Dancing for your Dancer is such a satisfying feeling in Engage because it really feels like you’re ‘breaking the rules’ in that primal ‘getting away with stealing a cookie from the cookie jar’ sort of way.

Engage is such a joy to play.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I ended up giving Citrinne Sigurd and a forged Thoron tome. Also made her a mage knight, because she rocks the hell out of its little half-cape. She makes a good railgun, zooming in to deliver a big momentum-boosted hit at range and cantering to safety.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Idk who my fave is yet, I just started chp 7

I hear Anna is in the game so probably her, I liked merchant lady in previous games

Man I wish they'd re-release awakening for the switch

Just before chapter 7 is exactly when you should know who your fave is, though?

Though I guess Yunaka doesn't really need any stat boosters.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Yunaka/Roy - thief

World’s swolest thief

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
I gave roy to Alear for the sweet 3x2 blazing lion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Harrow posted:

World’s swolest thief

Roy has to go somewhere, and Merrin completely outclasses Yunaka as an offensive presence (in my run, at least), so Yunaka appreciates the help.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Yunaka got Corrin and has, so far, spent the last half of the game just walking around and popping smoke for the rest of my guys.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/theosmeo/status/1623795569457262592

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm glad someone else has a great Merrin, because mine was an absolute killer but no one else has really talked about using her. In my case her mag growth procced like five times in a row so I ended up giving her the levin sword and making her a mage knight.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Harrow posted:

Yeah the post I found this in mentioned it specifically for Maddening so that's why I was curious to try it there.

I think people say Ivy's better just because of her significantly better bulk and her ability to fly, but neither of those things are super important for a Dire Thunder nuker so I dunno. I think people get caught up on Citrinne's low speed and tissue paper survivability, which is fair, but there are ways to use her where neither of those things matter (and by totally disregarding them you can really supercharge her strengths).

It's more the issue that there really is no need for a 2nd dedicated dps mage. Ivy already has the huge mag+S rank tomes, alongside flying with canter to make attacks safer than a grounded unit would.

Hortensia is not as powerful mag-wise, but her spd is good enough to double most relevant things that aren't dedicated speedsters and being low on mag is way better than low on str.

Then there's Radiant Bow.

Then the Levin Sword brigade.

And then Chain Attacks as a general thing is True Damage, so Generals aren't really a big deal if you have 3-4 back-up units, or 2 heroes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Merrin is an absolute killer on my maddening run and is always useful.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp5_Gt6VqPc
lmao I love this game

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

hopeandjoy posted:

That said speaking of bell bottoms, I’m pleased Engaging with Roy gives people bell bottoms.

Now I need to check if Engaging with Corrin removes their shoes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tae posted:

It's more the issue that there really is no need for a 2nd dedicated dps mage. Ivy already has the huge mag+S rank tomes, alongside flying with canter to make attacks safer than a grounded unit would.

Hortensia is not as powerful mag-wise, but her spd is good enough to double most relevant things that aren't dedicated speedsters and being low on mag is way better than low on str.

Then there's Radiant Bow.

Then the Levin Sword brigade.

And then Chain Attacks as a general thing is True Damage, so Generals aren't really a big deal if you have 3-4 back-up units, or 2 heroes.

The argument for extra dedicated DPS mages is that tomes are really, really, really good weapons, only really beaten out by daggers for raw quality. Bolganone is 16 mt, 85 hit, and 11 wt baseline. That means it has the power of a silver axe, the accuracy of a silver bow, and the weight of a silver sword in a 1-2 range package, which is absolutely fantastic - comparatively, the Radiant Bow is 19 mt, 70 hit, and 12 wt and can only hit at range 2. If your mage's arms are too noodly for Bolganone, Elfire is 11 mt for 7 wt baseline, which is very close to a theoretical much lighter 1-2 range silver sword while being cheaper to upgrade and comparing very favorably to the Levin Sword's 13 mt for 11 wt.

In addition to fire tomes kicking rear end, you get one of two 1-3 range weapons in the game with the thunder line, and you also get wind tomes to clown fliers.

Note that the Radiant Bow and the Levin Sword are great weapons, it's just that I feel like a lot of people overlook exactly how completely nuts the stat spreads on tomes are. Magic is so good that a pure mage with like 30 baseline magic growth can be a top tier offensive powerhouse in this game.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I ended up giving Citrinne Sigurd and a forged Thoron tome. Also made her a mage knight, because she rocks the hell out of its little half-cape. She makes a good railgun, zooming in to deliver a big momentum-boosted hit at range and cantering to safety.

Just before chapter 7 is exactly when you should know who your fave is, though?

Though I guess Yunaka doesn't really need any stat boosters.

Yunaka is very adorable and charming

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kanos posted:

Note that the Radiant Bow and the Levin Sword are great weapons, it's just that I feel like a lot of people overlook exactly how completely nuts the stat spreads on tomes are. Magic is so good that a pure mage with like 30 baseline magic growth can be a top tier offensive powerhouse in this game.

Radiant Bow warriors also have the benefit of continuing to contribute the player phase because back-up is Engage's version of Pair-Up abuse.

I've gotten to the point that I'm dropping zelkov and possibly merrin from my team because Saphir has decent stats but also more importantly comes with just enough SP to outright buy Dual Attack+.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

That punchline and still isn't that good

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/fimmm_/status/1623927251292274689
That's a nice callback I was not expecting to see.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Fooly's abridged dlc conversations
Corrin-Boobs
Both: Sister! We get to be together! Yay!

Lyn-Hector
Lyn: Spar?:D
Hector: Spaaaar!:D

Ike-Soren
Soren: IKE!??!! oh poo poo. oh fu-
Ike: Spaaaaaaar! :black101:

OK,that last line got me.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

What's the weirdest class you gave a person?

I'm thinking going Axe General for Alcryst

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah it is weird to give general to anyone

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You should make Alcryst a Martial Master (or anything with Lucina) to really emphasize his Get Behind Me!

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Loving Celine and Soren.

What FE is Soren from? he's such an rear end lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

He's from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn, though he's specifically showing up in his RD outfit here.