Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Intruder posted:

Suspect it's a handshake deal with the Pirates, he rescinds his request and they trade him because it raises his price to no longer have the request hanging over him

bro gently caress the astros and gently caress you. like drat just let me have this you prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

It's a little bit of a crossover post, but Jerry Reinsdorf did poo poo to improve the unbelievably underwhelming performing 2022 WSox this offseason, and Jerry Reinsdorf did poo poo to improve the unbelievably underwhelming performing Bullls at the trade deadline. In closing gently caress Jerry Reinsdorf. That is my book report.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

camoseven posted:

bro gently caress the astros and gently caress you. like drat just let me have this you prick.

lol chill out

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

64 million with a signing bonus of two seems odd to me.

Heres why

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianmctaggart/status/1624197719970529286

So its 5 (w/bonus)/7/10/21/21 with the last two being his first FA years

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wtf I love giving people Braves like extensions this freaking rules.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Kirios posted:

When you go to games, do you wave a little pennant flag that says OWNERS, or is this sarcasm?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Mostly sarcasm relax Red.

I am happy to see Javier extended though. I've been high on him since he was in high A.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
thank goodness

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Random dumb offseason thought:

Someone posted elsewhere on social media about the longest last names in MLB history and how cool it is to see names curve all the way around the back of a jersey, and it has me thinking that it's a drat shame baseball isn't a big sport in Thailand.

Which reminds me of a bit of trivia from who knows when. The longest pitcher matchup in MLB history (or was) was William Vanlandingham vs. Jason Isringhausen.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

It's a little bit of a crossover post, but Jerry Reinsdorf did poo poo to improve the unbelievably underwhelming performing 2022 WSox this offseason, and Jerry Reinsdorf did poo poo to improve the unbelievably underwhelming performing Bullls at the trade deadline. In closing gently caress Jerry Reinsdorf. That is my book report.

Man the White Sox were so disappointing last year. I was hyped for them to start having some years at the top and it seems like TLR completely poisoned them.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Crazy Ted posted:

Random dumb offseason thought:

Someone posted elsewhere on social media about the longest last names in MLB history and how cool it is to see names curve all the way around the back of a jersey, and it has me thinking that it's a drat shame baseball isn't a big sport in Thailand.

Sri Lanka vs Thailand would own for this reason

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Dinosaurs! posted:

Man the White Sox were so disappointing last year. I was hyped for them to start having some years at the top and it seems like TLR completely poisoned them.

Gave them alcohol poisoning lmao

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Red posted:

I'm not sure which surprises me more - that the UK has a WBC team, or that Vance Worley is playing.

The UK gets to use every Commonwealth country that doesn't have its own WBC team. At least 8 players on their roster were born in the Bahamas or have Bahamian descent. But not Jazz Chisholm for some reason. Which is strange since he said that he wanted to play for Great Britain last year.

The Netherlands are also way better than you'd expect, since they also stack their roster with guys from the Caribbean.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

Red posted:

When you go to games, do you wave a little pennant flag that says OWNERS, or is this sarcasm?

Do the players lack agency? He looks really happy in the photos maybe he likes the deal which is why he signed it??

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1624138982240952325

Sure why not. Kinda funny that we're picking him up now as a bullpen flier when years ago I remember rumors about the Cubs seriously trying to trade for him as a front of the rotation piece before pivoting to Quintana.

Apparently Al Avila wanted Javier Baez and more for Fulmer at the time and the Cubs rightfully hung up the phone. A similar absurd demand was made for Bregman and others from the Astros.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Red posted:

Lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

This only buys out 1 year of free agency. A brave deal would be to sign him through when he's 50 for 37 bucks a year.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Dodgers signed David Peralta. Gives them a veteran corner OF in case some of their young guys don't work out. It also means they'll be in the luxury tax again unless they trade someone during the season.

DBacks signed Andrew Chafin. Nice pickup for them, and a little surprising he only got a one-year deal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It buys out the first two years of his FA for 21m it’s identical to Striders contract except one less arb year and Striders is even more backloaded

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
More reliever deals rolling in, pitchers and catchers report pretty soon so I guess teams figure they've run out of time to sweat guys out.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1624512820350971905
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1624527743609184258

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Makes my blood boil that idiot players sign these team friendly deals, but also if they don't sign them and something happens to derail them before they get to free agency they're also idiots

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Sydin posted:

More reliever deals rolling in, pitchers and catchers report pretty soon so I guess teams figure they've run out of time to sweat guys out.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/1624512820350971905
https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1624527743609184258

Reyes to the Dodgers definitely piques my interest.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
https://twitter.com/MLBMetrics/status/1624501798521249794

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
this is definitely the year he figures it all out and also stops getting hurt

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

maffew buildings posted:

Makes my blood boil that idiot players sign these team friendly deals, but also if they don't sign them and something happens to derail them before they get to free agency they're also idiots

I mean, I'm sure the union leadership doesn't like it either (since you always want your rank and file's pay number Go Up), but for these young players, it's still a life-changing amount of money--and security, since the contract is fully guaranteed--and so I find it hard to blame them for taking them.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I believe it. We should contract them.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Dodgers signed David Peralta. Gives them a veteran corner OF in case some of their young guys don't work out. It also means they'll be in the luxury tax again unless they trade someone during the season.
They we’re gonna be over already.

The key to a good winter is to ignore the best players available, sign a bunch of mediocre older guys like Jayson Heyward, Miguel Rojas, and David Peralta while still going over the tax anyway.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Timby posted:

I mean, I'm sure the union leadership doesn't like it either (since you always want your rank and file's pay number Go Up), but for these young players, it's still a life-changing amount of money--and security, since the contract is fully guaranteed--and so I find it hard to blame them for taking them.

Absolutely not. They should look at that money that will have them and their families set for life and provide security in case the worst happens to their career and say "No thanks, I'm going to get paid in FA because The Internet Posters don't like team friendly pre- FA deals"

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I've always known the Dodgers were inferior at banging trash cans.

General Bullshit
Apr 20, 2020

The PA system at Dodger Stadium is so loud there is no way the players could hear poo poo. This is a false flag and I hate the Dodgers.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Kirios posted:

I've always known the Dodgers were inferior at banging trash cans.
we’ve been saying this for years

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

uggy posted:

Do the players lack agency? He looks really happy in the photos maybe he likes the deal which is why he signed it??
lmao

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Marlins traded former 1st round pick JJ Bleday to the A’s for A.J. Puk

God the Marlins have really botched a bunch of those picks

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Hahahahahhahahabababaabhahajahahahhahahahahhahahahabbxncmsnbahahahhahhhahga

Lol

HAHAJAHHAHHHFJHAHAHHH

Very sad that the Dodgers trash can didn't work in Game 7 against the Astros and they got mowed down by Charlie Morton knowing what he was going to pitch.

Sab0921 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Feb 12, 2023

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Let's remember one thing through all of this.

Altuve didn't cheat. God bless.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

They we’re gonna be over already.

The key to a good winter is to ignore the best players available, sign a bunch of mediocre older guys like Jayson Heyward, Miguel Rojas, and David Peralta while still going over the tax anyway.

Calling Heyward mediocre is pretty charitable to Heyward imo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sab0921 posted:

Let's remember one thing through all of this.

Altuve didn't cheat. God bless.

You probably actually believe this. Self delusion is a hell of a drug.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I will be happy-furious when Heyward is a 2023 all-star and MVP vote-getter.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

mcmagic posted:

You probably actually believe this. Self delusion is a hell of a drug.

He didn't and it's pretty well documented by this point - he has been the face of sign stealing for all of MLB which clear by now extended beyond the Astros, bore the brunt of the fan backlash, never said a negative word about it or about anyone while never participating n the can banging.

Altuve is an actual saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

Pretty sure this is from the Evan Drellich book