Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Spoiler, Dom actually speared the helicopters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Magnets, I'm guessing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Lotta Anti-Doms popping up, that said, Elon Musk would be a good antagonist

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1624139359162347520
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1623888239802331136
https://twitter.com/JohnDiLillo/status/1623889092302761986

Also plot twist?

https://twitter.com/BasementBros69/status/1624283052372361216

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 11, 2023

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

I know he's not being literal but goddamn now I want to watch Dom and his family facing down the literal end of days

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

checkplease posted:

Face-off (swap faces, also fight) between letty and cypher at the end of trailer?

I was thinking cypher got the Superman treatment like Ildris.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/somebadideas/status/1624298118219980801

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If Diesel insisted on that i could see Lin clocking out over it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently the Japanese name for Fast X is "Wild Speed: Fire Boost"

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Midjack posted:

Kind of doubt this considering how clue Vin was to Paul. Seems like twitter drama

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Midjack posted:

Lin walked after a week because Diesel kept coming to set late, showed up out of shape, and hadn't memorized his lines because he was constantly trying to change Lin's script.

Louis Leterrier had an interview published earlier this week in which he said the script was being rewritten daily because of Diesel's constant alterations and new demands.

Diesel sounds absolutely exhausting to work with.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
I wonder if the recent Fast movies, their difficult to work with producer/star, and their ballooning budgets have soured Universal on films of that scale. They seem to be pivoting - especially with the deal they've cut with James Wan and Blumhouse - to 10-20 million dollar movies that they think can bring in a couple of hundred million in return.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Maybe, but they gave this movie even more money and new actors keep joining. So something is working also.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

High Warlord Zog posted:

I wonder if the recent Fast movies, their difficult to work with producer/star, and their ballooning budgets have soured Universal on films of that scale. They seem to be pivoting - especially with the deal they've cut with James Wan and Blumhouse - to 10-20 million dollar movies that they think can bring in a couple of hundred million in return.

NBCUniversal's adjusted EBITDA in 2022 was $6 billion, they're not hurting for cash. The big noose around their neck is that they're still hemorrhaging money on Peacock even though they tripled their subscriber count year-over-year. (I'm sure in large part due to that $24 / year promo they ran last September.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

High Warlord Zog posted:

Cheap-to-produce horror that brings in 20+ times its budget has been a mainstay in film forever, as have stars doing diva behavior on the set of giant pictures.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I’m here for Dom loving up a dam

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

muscles like this! posted:

Apparently the Japanese name for Fast X is "Wild Speed: Fire Boost"

Japanese title list updated for 2023:

Wild Speed
Wild Speed X2
Wild Speed X3 TOKYO DRIFT
Wild Speed MAX
Wild Speed MEGA MAX
Wild Speed EURO MISSION
Wild Speed SKY MISSION
Wild Speed ICE BREAK
WIld Speed JET BREAK
Wild Speed FIRE BOOST <-- NEW

Also,
Wild Speed SUPER COMBO

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/SinacoLad/status/1627832921880150016

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I just did my marathon of 4-9 in preparation for FastXen ur Seatbelts. (May 19 wooo)

Fast 9 was a LOT better on the re-watch years later - I remember not really liking it for some reason. I'll admit I have the memory of like a goldfish for some movies and even though I saw 9 in the theatre, drive in and at home in like 2 month span, I literally remember nothing about it other than the space scene (like when people in here were talking about magnets, I had *no* idea what the gently caress they were talking about, when it's literally the whole second half of the movie). It's just so over top, and you can tell the writers/directors know, and completely play it straight.

Still some dumb scenes though like Dom in the Silo turning into Iko Uwais in The Raid and fighting off 50 'of the best mercs Cena summoned, then turning into The Hulk and grabbing 2 chains and literally collapsing the loving giant concrete/steel beamed silo, falling hundreds of feet into water right on his back, then just waking up fine. and the bridge scenes are another, but at least those were pretty cool rear end visuals (all 3, the Tej mobile first going across the collapsing bridge, the Cena flying off the cliff only to get picked up by the infamous magnet drone plane, and then Dom/Letty tarzaning their across... c'mon man)

Really looking forward to the metal boulder of doom in Fast X. but that Dom vs 2 choppers stuff shouldn't have been in the trailer that I saw by accident - always tried to avoid trailers of stuff I know I'm 100% watching, since they ruined the climax oh poo poo moment of F8 showing the sub in the trailer and on posters and poo poo (not that I think that's really a climax point in 10, hell its probably the first scene for all we know, but its so cool it should be saved for surprise)

Tyrese is everyone's favorite character right? holy poo poo he's hilarious in almost every scene and really in 9 with his I'm Bruce Willis in Unbreakable scene with Tej/Ramsey. 'I'm not even gonna mention the submarine' Tej gets huge props here too loving with him all the time, love that bromance ever since the end of 5 where they buy the same only car on the eastern hemisphere car :rubby:

Why couldn't we have 'F&F: Roman and Tej' instead of that unwatchable Hobbs and Shaw garbage.

Hirez fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 12, 2023

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Hirez posted:

Fast 9 was a LOT better on the re-watch years later - I remember not really liking it for some reason. I'll admit I have the memory of like a goldfish for some movies and even though I saw 9 in the theatre, drive in and at home in like 2 month span, I literally remember nothing about it other than the space scene (like when people in here were talking about magnets, I had *no* idea what the gently caress they were talking about, when it's literally the whole second half of the movie). It's just so over top, and you can tell the writers/directors know, and completely play it straight. and Tej' instead of that unwatchable Hobbs and Shaw garbage.

I vividly remember people walking out during the space scene. Anything else in the movie series was ok, but that was when people had enough,

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Ha that’s funny, super magents and car Tarzan swing? That’s ok. But space, too far.

I do think f9 was good at giving Tyrese a unique role that he was kind of lacking in f7 and f8.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

At this point I take Tyrese never going away as an ongoing anti-humor thing, but it's also OK if not every movie is for me

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm a fan, he's really good in these. Always good to rewatch these. I'm up to Fast 5 on my rewatches, and for Fast 9 did you see that 7 mins longer extended edition? Sounds like Justin Lin prefers those versions of his films.

Any takes on the extended / director's cut version of Fate of the Furious? If it was the usual 5 mins I'd just throw it on, but it's 12.5 mins longer, and the movie would probably benefit being shorter. But there are some quotes where F. Gary Gray is saying it has more "edgy humor" he likes or something, sounds intriguing. But also a bit of a time investment. 13 mins folks. Yes I've spent a good 10 mins looking into these matters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
For the most part I always thought the series has very solid greenscreening/CG work but Fast 9 felt like a step back in that department. For the first time I was being taken out of the movie by that floaty sort of feeling you get when it's super obvious that the actors are just in front of a greenscreen.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not sure where they're getting the info but I've seen a couple articles claim that Fast X kills Hobbs but does it off screen. Which is getting into very petty territory.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

muscles like this! posted:

Not sure where they're getting the info but I've seen a couple articles claim that Fast X kills Hobbs but does it off screen. Which is getting into very petty territory.

I'll say, because it's kind of a funny parallel, remember how The Rock starred in a GI Joe sequel that vaguely killed many fan favs off screen? More the studio's fault I'd figure. How do you not have Scarlett, Baroness, Hawk, and I find Marlon underrated as Ripcord too, etc etc. Many more. Still a fun movie for Cobra Commander and Jonathan Pryce as President Zartan. That is one movie where the villains were way more lovable.

That said, Hobbs did rock for a while, especially in 5 and 7. Just caught Furious 7 recently too, so good. Mondo pumped for Fast X.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GI Joe 1 is a guilty pleasure of mine, 2 is just reshoot hell, and also, if your career was going anywhere or had anything to lose, you wanted nothing to do with it.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

So is this not the last one...?

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Cinemagic Theater in Portland is showing every movie in the series starting on Sunday.

1, 2, and Tokyo Drift movie marathon? yes please.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
are those 3 your fav? But cool to see them again in theaters

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Fast and Furious and the Deathly Family

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if fast and furious becomes the new bond and actors compete to be the best Dom

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
https://www.thewrap.com/fast-x-dwayne-johnson-the-rock-hobbs-credits-scene/

Didn’t expect this

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If diesel can quit being a dingdong long enough to get the rock back on board then anything can happen.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wonder if black Adam not doing as well helped also.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rock basically tried to black Adam F&F

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

checkplease posted:

are those 3 your fav? But cool to see them again in theaters

All three playing on Sunday, and also yes

…2 and 5 are very close tie. depends on the day, really.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I have seen few call out 2 as their favorite, but it’s been a long time since I’ve seen it. Also wild that Jon Singleton directed it.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

2 as a favorite is like having Troll 2 as your all time favorite movie. So bad it's curious.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

checkplease posted:

I wonder if black Adam not doing as well helped also.

Hobbs and Shaw basically being a non-starter and Black Adam bombing definitely had him coming back and asking to take part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

I'll say, because it's kind of a funny parallel, remember how The Rock starred in a GI Joe sequel that vaguely killed many fan favs off screen? More the studio's fault I'd figure. How do you not have Scarlett, Baroness, Hawk, and I find Marlon underrated as Ripcord too, etc etc. Many more. Still a fun movie for Cobra Commander and Jonathan Pryce as President Zartan. That is one movie where the villains were way more lovable.

That said, Hobbs did rock for a while, especially in 5 and 7. Just caught Furious 7 recently too, so good. Mondo pumped for Fast X.

Channing Tatum's character was killed because he hated the first movie so much that he literally begged the studio to let his character die.