Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
the in-game tutorial is a lot better than it used to be but i've found joining a goon corp/discord and asking 100 questions to be the easiest onramp for new and returning players

a lot of online resources are outdated or of dubious quality since the games been online for 20 years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is there a goon-recommended, go-to site that acts as a "baby steps" tutorial for someone whose interested in spinning up an Alpha account and playing a few hours each week? Or should I just install the game & fling myself into it willy-nilly?

people understandably want to figure stuff out themselves when they start cause they feel annoying having to ask vets a bazillion questions but joining a group and learning through doing + asking real humans questions is by far the best way to understand the game and most people are always happy to help a new player. chances are people are happy to answer your questions and will throw you a bunch of free poo poo and learning by yourself with a wiki open is the best way to ensure you quit playing in 2 weeks.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also the game economy scales super fast if you are in an established group. For example you might do MMO grinding stuff for hours to get up enough money to buy a basic cruiser that someone who has played for like 6 months would probably give you dozen of without caring one iota about the cost.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Also the game economy scales super fast if you are in an established group. For example you might do MMO grinding stuff for hours to get up enough money to buy a basic cruiser that someone who has played for like 6 months would probably give you dozen of without caring one iota about the cost.

:hmmyes:

any group listed in the second post ITT will give you a bunch of ships and things you can use that will significantly increase the fun you can have in game. mining in a venture to afford your first cruiser you will lose instantly is not fun.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

You always win when you play with friends

:)

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
Good advice all around. I'll check the OP's notes on groups.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Just to prove we can put those supers to good (hilarious) use:
https://zkillboard.com/related/30003715/202302052000/o/%7B%22A%22%3A%5B%2299011769%22%5D%2C%22B%22%3A%5B%5D%7D/

Also I just got a job offer so I'm willing to up my charitable donation to 300 dollars.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Really curious as to why the Astrahus (which was destroyed after the fantastic cap welp) isn't red on that BR.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Is there a goon-recommended, go-to site that acts as a "baby steps" tutorial for someone whose interested in spinning up an Alpha account and playing a few hours each week? Or should I just install the game & fling myself into it willy-nilly?

Literally the best way to learn the game is getting on voice comms with some bittervets and bombarding them with questions.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And they will bombard you with free poo poo in return, seriously, anyone that’s been playing the game for longer than a couple years has more money than they know what to do with

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
Legit, teaching cute newbies how to blow up spaceships is by far the best part of this game. If you join a group and people get mad at you for asking questions, you joined the wrong group

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Yeah there are a lotta cool people who like to teach stuff. I bounced off the game a lot until I joined the geese and was aggressively welcomed with gifts and knowledge, and now I’m a horrible space goose.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
And another thing is that the average Eve player at this point is north of 30, if you get in a group with a bunch of kids just find somewhere else to go

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Coasterphreak posted:

And another thing is that the average Eve player at this point is north of 30, if you get in a group with a bunch of kids just find somewhere else to go

Honestly 30 is probably a lil younger than the average lol

Actually, I'm curious now but at work and don't have time to look it up, does anyone know if ccp puts out stats for things like that?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I don’t think they Eve ask for DOB at any point so unlikely.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I would definitely suggest finding a group, say a bunch of geese, make an alpha account and get with them. The game absolutely blows trying to play by yourself, it's the other people that make it interesting. You might learn the very basic thing like how to fly to a celestial and how to warp to a gate, but for everything else you need a community

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

CainFortea posted:

I would definitely suggest finding a group, say a bunch of geese, make an alpha account and get with them. The game absolutely blows trying to play by yourself, it's the other people that make it interesting. You might learn the very basic thing like how to fly to a celestial and how to warp to a gate, but for everything else you need a community

DL'd & installed this morning. Joined <GEESE> yesterday & said hello in the Discord a bit ago. Got some work to do today but I'll probably jump on this afternoon to get started.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

C2C - 2.0 posted:

DL'd & installed this morning. Joined <GEESE> yesterday & said hello in the Discord a bit ago. Got some work to do today but I'll probably jump on this afternoon to get started.

Have fun, and ask lots of questions. My fun with the game went from <None> as a 1st time player alone in Empire waiting on my GS application to get processed, to <Obsessed> after two fleets with people explaining little things I never would have figured out myself.

Now I have two Omega accounts and an Alpha and since my playtime increased in October (due to irl stuff going away) I’m having fun with both PvP and many of the PvE systems. My main regret now is believing the hype here for almost 20 years and never trying the game myself. Goons are just great to newbies, Full Stop. I haven’t done much in WH except for exploring and gas huffing (no “living there”), but I’m sure they’ll set you up and ram you through the mechanics’ learning curve pretty quickly! Lose ships and have fun!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
It's tiny, it's barely legible, but it's there on the sov map:

Now, to see about getting my moons onlined...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
radioactive goose poop green

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
wheres fnln
he has my 2*1.05*20 bil or something

Keisari
May 24, 2011

After last summer's (it was last summer right? Feels like such a long time ago.) pedo boogaloo I just quit the game. From that one screenshot it seems like goosefleet has established in nullsec. Is this true or are you just honking around there for fun? I thought you were all about the holes.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Keisari posted:

After last summer's (it was last summer right? Feels like such a long time ago.) pedo boogaloo I just quit the game. From that one screenshot it seems like goosefleet has established in nullsec. Is this true or are you just honking around there for fun? I thought you were all about the holes.

We stumbled into some sov accidentally, now we are hellbent on punching as many holes into k-space using QFGs. We think we may be the first group to use the wormhole generators, and amazingly they work just fine!

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Keisari posted:

We accidentally a sov in Providence but we're becoming pretty well entrenched here. Like Dieting Hippo said we're still doing wormhole shenanigans and have a buttload of infra in wormholes but we're starting to mess with QFGs (a system that nobody has any idea how they work) so we have both sov and holes at our disposal at all times. Also we're getting some pretty baffling fleets going for sovwar so if you ever wanted to be in a combined angry geese + goonswarm + CVA + weird wormhole pubbies meta fleet shooting an astrahus and getting a bajillion caps dropped on us for lulz and getting your losses reimbursed at Jita prices, the Gooseflock Featheration is what you're looking for.

This message has been authorized by the Office of the Director of Strategic Violence. :honk:

oh god you have no idea how much SRP I paid out today kill me now

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

We accidentally a sov in Providence but we're becoming pretty well entrenched here. Like Dieting Hippo said we're still doing wormhole shenanigans and have a buttload of infra in wormholes but we're starting to mess with QFGs (a system that nobody has any idea how they work) so we have both sov and holes at our disposal at all times. Also we're getting some pretty baffling fleets going for sovwar so if you ever wanted to be in a combined angry geese + goonswarm + CVA + weird wormhole pubbies meta fleet shooting an astrahus and getting a bajillion caps dropped on us for lulz and getting your losses reimbursed at Jita prices, the Gooseflock Featheration is what you're looking for.

This message has been authorized by the Office of the Director of Strategic Violence. :honk:

oh god you have no idea how much SRP I paid out today kill me now

Wait wait hold on - you're allied with groomswarm? Did they finally get their poo poo together harrassment and sexual criminals -wise?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

We're not allied with GSF, but we've had GSF corps do expeditions into Providence to gently caress around while we're doing strategic stuff. There's no official blues or anything behind it. Providence is just such a weird clusterfuck of sovnull that you can't really explain the spiderweb of interested parties without a twenty foot cork board and a few dozen index cards and three hundred yards of string.

As far as my understanding of GSF internal politics goes though, they're pretty much clean of all the old yikesaroo poo poo that caused the giant chomo drama bomb to begin with.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

We're not allied with GSF, but we've had GSF corps do expeditions into Providence to gently caress around while we're doing strategic stuff. There's no official blues or anything behind it. Providence is just such a weird clusterfuck of sovnull that you can't really explain the spiderweb of interested parties without a twenty foot cork board and a few dozen index cards and three hundred yards of string.

As far as my understanding of GSF internal politics goes though, they're pretty much clean of all the old yikesaroo poo poo that caused the giant chomo drama bomb to begin with.

Ah I see. Also I find it funny how it's always goons that have the bushiest of neckbeards and work out the most arcane of systems to leverage some next level advantage in a video game.

I have only very sporadic slots of time and energy, and in goonswarm was basically just doing market poo poo and importing (by contracting out the hauling)

Does goosefleet have any need for a station sitting ship spinning econ guy? Filling markets with poo poo was fun. Fleets sadly rarely lined up with my exhausted dad-level schedule.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Kazinsal posted:

lmao Providence hasn't changed in twenty years

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Keisari posted:

Ah I see. Also I find it funny how it's always goons that have the bushiest of neckbeards and work out the most arcane of systems to leverage some next level advantage in a video game.

I have only very sporadic slots of time and energy, and in goonswarm was basically just doing market poo poo and importing (by contracting out the hauling)

Does goosefleet have any need for a station sitting ship spinning econ guy? Filling markets with poo poo was fun. Fleets sadly rarely lined up with my exhausted dad-level schedule.

Oddly enough yes we do. Logistics, buyback, SRP, multiple ship doctrines - including industry, scanning, and PvP while holding both WH and nul space has been really fresh and exiting if economy stuff is your bag - real early years fly by the seat of your pants "ok what did they do now and what do we need to set up to accommodate it" stuff.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Oddly enough yes we do. Logistics, buyback, SRP, multiple ship doctrines - including industry, scanning, and PvP while holding both WH and nul space has been really fresh and exiting if economy stuff is your bag - real early years fly by the seat of your pants "ok what did they do now and what do we need to set up to accommodate it" stuff.

Huh, could be fun. Are there people who offer hauling services? Because I am terrible at actually flying ships and would just welp cargo. But analyzing markets and contracting hauling jobs and selling gear is something I think is weirdly entertaining.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we have a new jump freighter division. i don't remember how many pilots there are for it, but since they only do last mile into Providence it's pretty prompt. as far as hole logistics go, there's nothing organized but plenty of people can fly transport ships

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

Keisari posted:

Huh, could be fun. Are there people who offer hauling services? Because I am terrible at actually flying ships and would just welp cargo. But analyzing markets and contracting hauling jobs and selling gear is something I think is weirdly entertaining.

We have a few people with jump freighters; at the moment a lot of logistics is getting done because we keep welping expensive fleets and then shipping two times as many replacements in from Amarr. Come and say hi on the discord - https://discord.gg/hBqFPrUj - you'd be very welcome I suspect!

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Well poo poo, I put the auth thing on the queue. I'll drop by and chat around

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009

Dieting Hippo posted:

We stumbled into some sov accidentally, now we are hellbent on punching as many holes into k-space using QFGs. We think we may be the first group to use the wormhole generators, and amazingly they work just fine!

TDSIN used to use them in their constellation in Fountain when they part of INIT. You might ask them about their experiences with them.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Ajaxify posted:

TDSIN used to use them in their constellation in Fountain when they part of INIT. You might ask them about their experiences with them.

Oh hey, they're another wormhole group! It makes perfect sense for the wormhole corps to go for QFGs the second they get sov :v:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wormholes in sov is like your home hole but with better logistics.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Alright who the gently caress is this

Between Denver and Ft Collins, spotted it through the windshield of the car between us and thought I was hallucinating - passed going north on I-25 just before the Firestone exit a half hour ago

GSV Fuck Your God
Aug 27, 2003

small-l liberalism

i am harry posted:

Alright who the gently caress is this

Between Denver and Ft Collins, spotted it through the windshield of the car between us and thought I was hallucinating - passed going north on I-25 just before the Firestone exit a half hour ago

It's you !!

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
That's my truck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
please dont post my license plate on the internet