Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

ilmucche posted:

I found it weird that the regular zombies are hungry and tend to try and eat people but the big zombie seemed out for blood more than anything. I wonder if the fungus covered its mouth

They dont eat you, if you're resisting/ not passive they jump on you and beat you into submission and then bite you to transmit the infection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

20 years FEDRA managed to keep the monsters at bay. Then the “resistance” gets in charge and let them all out in 10 days. Good job dickheads.

Also they were not being conservative with that writing paper at all. One of my fav details from ep 1 was Joel saying “and I need the bag back”.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!

stev posted:

More like a miniboss that turns up occasionally. The game doesn't really have bosses.

Also I think there's like 7 or so bloaters in the game (on most difficulties) and you have to only actually kill/fight two. The rest you can either sneak by or run by if you're good enough (lmao I am not)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Also they were not being conservative with that writing paper at all. One of my fav details from ep 1 was Joel saying “and I need the bag back”.

You mean the reusable magnet paper? It's like an etch-a-sketch.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I swear to god 20% of goons are the worst TV watchers ever, let alone the public. This is why I don't complain about shows being too on the nose anymore. You really need blundgeon people with overt text to have people get it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Legit cannot believe someone missed that that was a Magnadoodle 😭

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 49 minutes!
Wasn’t it a magic slate, not magnetic?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It's a sheet of cellophane with a waxy background, isn't it? I had one when I was a kid, you write with the plastic "pen" that it came with and it just smooshes the cellophane into the wax as you write, and then you just pull the sheet up to erase it and write more.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Lol what the gently caress

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Toaster Beef posted:

I imagine you were expecting the same exact thing I was expecting, which was likely the same thing just about everybody was expecting in that moment, which was a firefight between Joel and the sniper (or a lookout, etc.). Maybe cliche's not the best word for it, but the show subverted what we were expecting (trope, cliche, whatever) by making it pretty clear the sniper had absolutely no interest in defending himself.

I guess I can see what you mean, but the sequence just didn't convey this in a believable way to me. I think this is in part because it was immediately followed by an action scene that was so conventional and lacking in nuance; if the encounter with Kathleen, her followers, and the infected had been less cliched, I would have been willing to give the show runners more credit in interpreting the sniper sequence.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Phenotype posted:

It's a sheet of cellophane with a waxy background, isn't it? I had one when I was a kid, you write with the plastic "pen" that it came with and it just smooshes the cellophane into the wax as you write, and then you just pull the sheet up to erase it and write more.
Yep same, with the little red pen, they were so cheap I don't even remember a name if they had one. It was just a cardboard-backed pad hanging in the impulse purchase spots.

This episode was great, though Kathleen's character did drive me nuts in the end. She had a perfectly good motivation plotwise, they absolutely could've had her arrive at all of these actions like a normal sister hunting justice. But her character kept flipping between loss-hardened sister, a stone-cold psychopath, and an erratic leader losing her poo poo emotionally, it just seemed really inconsistent to me.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ah yes, the convention of an exploding truck drawing a horde of echolocating zombies to swarm a group of amateur revolutionaries, one of which is specifically killed by her previously established predilection for ignoring imminent danger in favor of chasing vengeance, that lack of nuance.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Remy Marathe posted:

Yep same, with the little red pen, they were so cheap I don't even remember a name if they had one. It was just a cardboard-backed pad hanging in the impulse purchase spots.

This episode was great, though Kathleen's character did drive me nuts in the end. She had a perfectly good motivation plotwise, they absolutely could've had her arrive at all of these actions like a normal sister hunting justice. But her character kept flipping between loss-hardened sister, a stone-cold psychopath, and an erratic leader losing her poo poo emotionally, it just seemed really inconsistent to me.

or she's all three of those, why are they supposed to be mutually exclusive

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MeinPanzer posted:

Yes, I picked up that the infected were attracted to the explosion, but having them suddenly tunnel up through the earth like a scene from Tremors was ridiculous. And it wasn't like the group of them was quiet in the tunnels.

I got the impression that FEDRA actually did clear out the tunnels Joel etc went through - but they weren't entirely wiped out, they just moved on to the sewers/tunnels outside the main city.

I don't get what was ridiculous about them coming out of the big hole in the ground. :shrug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Eiba posted:

Fungus is basically us, compared to most of the other stuff that tries to make a living our bodies. Viruses are weird little guys who don't even have cells. Bacteria are way smaller and more simple cells with none of the eukaryotic machinery of human or fungus cells. In fact a lot of antibacterials are derived from stuff fungus does to kill non-fungus cells. Animal cells and fungus cells are similar enough that it's fine for us to use too. And the inverse is also true. Anything that reliably kills fungus cells is going to kill animal cells or at least be very bad for them. We can have an "antibacterial" medicine fairly easily because it's a whole different category of life. Fungus is, in some very meaningful ways, the same category of life as us. It's a good thing there aren't more fungal diseases because they would really gently caress us over!

man Agent Smith really got us wrong

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Wait, people think the zombies were tunneling through? :psyduck:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Doktor Avalanche posted:

or she's all three of those, why are they supposed to be mutually exclusive

I get what you're saying, but did she seem like a human being cycling through those to you, like she was trying to be hard and cold but the mask slipping? To me it was more like in any given scene you got one of those things 100% so I never knew what I was supposed to be looking at.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

stev posted:

I got the impression that FEDRA actually did clear out the tunnels Joel etc went through - but they weren't entirely wiped out, they just moved on to the sewers/tunnels outside the main city.

I don't get what was ridiculous about them coming out of the big hole in the ground. :shrug:

Every episode someone comes along who expects this show to completely reinvent the wheel, and when it doesn't they start throwing around accusations that any element of fiction writing we've ever seen before is automatically a mortally hackneyed lack of imagination. I feel bad for people who've internalized the TVTropes mode of compartmentalization so much they can't just sit down for an hour and engage with a work on its own terms.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

echoing all the posts about how good Bella Ramsey was in this. her being so confident and immediate in what to do when she found out Sam was infected was the best moment of the episode for me. and as with every episode, I love that Joel and Ellie are both changing each other bit by bit.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
The woman who played Kathleen is a legitimately great actress and I was among those folks who said "trust the writers to give you a reason this lady's in charge and everybody's listening to her," but I get it if someone comes away from last night's episode feeling like the show still kinda left that hanging a bit. We understand her relationship to the rebellion, we understand her motivations, we are told she's the reason the rebellion finally won — but we're never shown or even told what she actually did to make that happen, so it does feel a little unearned.

Ultimately didn't bother me very much, because I enjoyed the episode and thought she was an interesting character, but I can see how she fell flat for some people.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 11, 2023

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
She'd been in charge for 11 days, mainly off the back of being involved in the uprising and being the sister of somebody everyone loved. They would be with her until those feelings subsided then they'd get rid of her. She wasn't going to last, she obviously had no plan beyond retribution, and it failed miserably. Liz Truss lasted seven weeks, I can buy Kathleen lasting a week and a half.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

stev posted:

It's the timing. City goes years / decades without encountering a serious infected threat despite an active civil war going on, but at the very moment our heroes are about to be killed / captured, that decades-dormant threat appears at exactly the right time and place to simultaneously save the heroes and kill every single villain.

Doesn't bother me, but it is very contrived. Them placing a few breadcrumbs leading up to it was a noble effort but doesn't really change that IMO.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

It's the timing. City goes years / decades without encountering a serious infected threat despite an active civil war going on, but at the very moment our heroes are about to be killed / captured, that decades-dormant threat appears at exactly the right time and place to simultaneously save the heroes and kill every single villain.

Doesn't bother me, but it is very contrived. Them placing a few breadcrumbs leading up to it was a noble effort but doesn't really change that IMO.

The horde saved only 50% of the heroes :smith:

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
the Kathleen character definitely did not improve so I'm glad she's gone now

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

They came out of the ground pretty close to the burning/collapsing house didn't they? I assumed that weakened the ground which allowed them to emerge at that spot, so there was a practical reason along with the attraction to the explosion.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Anytime you depict a fictional character committing straight up cold-blooded murder on prisoners, you really have to go an extra mile to show that the prisoners warranted that sentence somehow. It's not really shocking that people in general hate the Kathleen character because while fedra has been shown to be pretty evil, we have no idea if these people actually did anything wrong. "Collaborator" is an extremely vague term and her barely concealed joy at having them murdered didn't do the character any favors.

Ironically, we live in a time where violence against fascists would probably find a more receptive audience than it usually would. But the show just did not take or possibly have the time to flesh that out properly. If these people had had swastika armbands on or some equivalent, then I doubt as many people would have been as critical of the Kathleen character.

effervescible posted:

They came out of the ground pretty close to the burning/collapsing house didn't they? I assumed that weakened the ground which allowed them to emerge at that spot, so there was a practical reason along with the attraction to the explosion.

In a quiet, peaceful city that had not experienced any major violence in years this would be a pretty good explanation. But we're 10 days out from a civil war that lasted years / decades. You're telling me this is the first explosion / collapsed house in Kansas City in 20 years? The rebels were completely caught off guard and overwhelmed which suggests this is an attack type they were not prepared for in any way. My interpretation of the scene was that something like this had never happened in Kansas City.

FLIPADELPHIA fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 11, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

stev posted:

We saw last episode that they were directly under a building downtown. Also didn't Joel and the crew just emerge from a section of those tunnels outside the city?

McSpanky posted:

Ah yes, the convention of an exploding truck drawing a horde of echolocating zombies to swarm a group of amateur revolutionaries, one of which is specifically killed by her previously established predilection for ignoring imminent danger in favor of chasing vengeance, that lack of nuance.

Went back and re-watched the scene to see if my first impression was just off and here are the cliches in that sequence:

Chief antagonist finds the person they're searching for but stands there and delivers a dramatic speech rather than just immediately killing or grabbing them. Everyone just stands there while this happens.

Right when the antagonist is about to kill a protagonist, a deus ex machina swarm of monsters appears.

The big boss monster appears and beelines through the chaos directly for the secondary antagonist, conveniently killing him.

A child seemingly finds safety in a small space, only for a monster to crawl in after them.

Amid the chaos, the protagonists get separated to get menaced by individual monsters, only to reunite without any of them getting seriously injured.

The chief antagonist sees the protagonists retreating, holds them at gunpoint, and hesitates; the protagonists can see that there is a monster behind her, and when she realizes this she turns around and is killed, allowing the protagonists to escape.

quote:

They emerged from under the lawn of a house in a residential neighborhood; unless they were all in the house's basement, they must have tunnelled or something to get there.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 11, 2023

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
One of them did get seriously injured though, he got bit.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

thebardyspoon posted:

One of them did get seriously injured though, he got bit.

People were getting gunned down, their heads ripped off, and torn to bits by swarms of infected. A small bite on the ankle is obviously consequential, but it still fits the cliche of massive violence occurring around the protagonists but none of them being seriously affected by it in the moment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Anytime you depict a fictional character committing straight up cold-blooded murder on prisoners, you really have to go an extra mile to show that the prisoners warranted that sentence somehow. It's not really shocking that people in general hate the Kathleen character because while fedra has been shown to be pretty evil, we have no idea if these people actually did anything wrong. "Collaborator" is an extremely vague term and her barely concealed joy at having them murdered didn't do the character any favors.

I don't think Kathleen was supposed to be a sympathetic character, though? We were given more reason to understand her, but to borrow a line, I understand without condoning. I thought it was pretty clearly communicated that the new people in charge weren't heroic liberators but had become just as bad as what they had suffered, a real French Reign of Terror situation. The show in general doesn't seem interested in casting judgment as much as casting light on the fact that in desperate times people will commit desperate acts to survive, and it's the circumstances and motivations that largely determine whether (or even if) they can be called good or evil.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Remy Marathe posted:

A Woody Woodpecker one, to be exact:

(hat tip ScreenCrush for the source pic)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

that was a great episode, drat

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MeinPanzer posted:

We saw last episode that they were directly under a building downtown. Also didn't Joel and the crew just emerge from a section of those tunnels outside the city?

Went back and re-watched the scene to see if my first impression was just off and here are the cliches in that sequence:

Chief antagonist finds the person they're searching for but stands there and delivers a dramatic speech rather than just immediately killing or grabbing them. Everyone just stands there while this happens.

Right when the antagonist is about to kill a protagonist, a deus ex machina swarm of monsters appears.

The big boss monster appears and beelines through the chaos directly for the secondary antagonist, conveniently killing him.

A child seemingly finds safety in a small space, only for a monster to crawl in after them.

Amid the chaos, the protagonists get separated to get menaced by individual monsters, only to reunite without any of them getting seriously injured.

The chief antagonist sees the protagonists retreating, holds them at gunpoint, and hesitates; the protagonists can see that there is a monster behind her, and when she realizes this she turns around and is killed, allowing the protagonists to escape.

They emerged from under the lawn of a house in a residential neighborhood; unless they were all in the house's basement, they must have tunnelled or something to get there.

What are you, Cinemasins?

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

MeinPanzer posted:

Who loving cares, it's a tv show, not a documentary.

Great episode, but the ending was so loving sudden.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

McSpanky posted:

Every episode someone comes along who expects this show to completely reinvent the wheel, and when it doesn't they start throwing around accusations that any element of fiction writing we've ever seen before is automatically a mortally hackneyed lack of imagination. I feel bad for people who've internalized the TVTropes mode of compartmentalization so much they can't just sit down for an hour and engage with a work on its own terms.

Even when the show has specifically not leaned into some tropes. Everyone waiting for one to betray the other in Ep 3 is probably the most prime example of it.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

Xiahou Dun posted:

What are you, Cinemasins?

My point is that this whole sequence was pretty cliched, which that poster was trying to refute.

I obviously just feel very differently about the climax of that episode than some people. To my sensibilities the tone and quality of it was at odds with those of much of the rest of the show, and I found that jarring. I guess the hype led me to think that the show would be more thoughtful and subversive in its handling of zombie and survival scenarios than it actually is, and the ending of this episode really solidified for me that I need to change my expectations.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Welp, having a brother myself, episode 5 just completely destroyed me. Reduced to tears. I was a mess. What a show, goddamn.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

MeinPanzer posted:

My point is that this whole sequence was pretty cliched, which that poster was trying to refute.

I obviously just feel very differently about the climax of that episode than some people. To my sensibilities the tone and quality of it was at odds with those of much of the rest of the show, and I found that jarring. I guess the hype led me to think that the show would be more thoughtful and subversive in its handling of zombie and survival scenarios than it actually is, and the ending of this episode really solidified for me that I need to change my expectations.

Maybe you shouldn't have rock solid expectations about what a show is after only a few episodes. Especially not an HBO show. At this point in The Wire they didn't even have a wiretap.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Ironically, we live in a time where violence against fascists would probably find a more receptive audience than it usually would. But the show just did not take or possibly have the time to flesh that out properly. If these people had had swastika armbands on or some equivalent, then I doubt as many people would have been as critical of the Kathleen character.

In a quiet, peaceful city that had not experienced any major violence in years this would be a pretty good explanation. But we're 10 days out from a civil war that lasted years / decades. You're telling me this is the first explosion / collapsed house in Kansas City in 20 years? The rebels were completely caught off guard and overwhelmed which suggests this is an attack type they were not prepared for in any way. My interpretation of the scene was that something like this had never happened in Kansas City.

There's no indication of a civil war state prior to the previous 10 days. In fact the show goes out it's way to imply the Kathleen's rise to power was punctuated by massive escalation of violence, which is why Pierce credits her with changing things unlike her brother who is described as being a heroic figure who is against retributive violence. The way the FEDRA oppression is described in Stasi-like terms with most of their victims being kidnapped/tortured/murdered lends itself to a situation of at most a low-grade insurgency that boiled over when the brother was martyred. There's never a reference to people dying in battles or pitched fire fights, it's always about them being dragged away in the middle of the night and poo poo like that.

The last 10 days being an orgy of violence is actually a good reason for the zombies to be all riled up more than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Can we have a spinoff with Clicker Kid and Bloater Dad going on a road trip too? Screams, clicks, creepy body movements, murders and the fun(gi) friends they make along the way.

drat that kid owned, reminded me of Gabriel from Malignant.