Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who ya got?
This poll is closed.
Chiefs 42 41.18%
Eagles 60 58.82%
Total: 102 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

SKULL.GIF posted:

Raiders-Redskins in 1984, Raiders had won it in 1981 and Redskins in 1983

I might've missed one but I think that's the last time.

Wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

I thought it would have been some combo of Denver/New England/Seattle, but the Giants beating the Pats twice within the 5 years of New England beating Seattle is pretty hilarious. Brady and Patriots fans would be so much more insufferable if it wasn't for Eli & the Giants.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

syzpid posted:

I thought it would have been some combo of Denver/New England/Seattle, but the Giants beating the Pats twice within the 5 years of New England beating Seattle is pretty hilarious. Brady and Patriots fans would be so much more insufferable if it wasn't for Eli & the Giants.

This is why "does Eli deserve the Hall" arguments always end in "absolutely"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

syzpid posted:

Yeah until the goal line pick by the Seahawks it was looking like Brady was never going to get another title. He got 3 in 4 years, ten year gap of awesome offense no titles,3 in 5 years

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 11, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Chris James 2 posted:

This is why "does Eli deserve the Hall" arguments always end in "absolutely"

18-1 motherfuckers.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SKULL.GIF posted:

Yeah, that seems right. I think the only others that qualify prior to this year are both Cowboys-Steelers matchups from the 70s.

There’s a bunch of others involving teams who were both in the Super Bowl within the previous five seasons, but not with both teams having won it (Several of these involve Denver in the 80s or Buffalo in the 90s).

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah until the goal line pick by the Seahawks it was looking like Brady was never going to get another title. He got 3 in 4 years, ten year gap of awesome offense no titles,3 in 5 years

Makes me think about how fluky narratives and legacies are in football. Like, if everything else about Brady's career was the same except Seattle giving Lynch the ball on the goal line, the Falcons actually eating some clock in the second half and Jared Goff not imploding against the Patriots defense, a lot of people would probably still think of him as the GOAT, but there would be a lot more debate about it too.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

BlindSite posted:

wtf? This is one of the better match ups in the last decade.

Yeah idgi why people aren’t hype on this

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm super hype and extremely concerned i might miss even 1 minute of it because I need to do booth set up for a conference in the afternoon. :ohdear:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Grittybeard posted:

I think Spagnuolo is going to blitz his rear end off. So offensively for the Eagles it'll be a matter of whether the Chiefs can shut down Hurts running lanes to escape or if Hurts can cash in his chances, which will absolutely be there.

The athletic podcast has been really hammering home that the eagles offense is excellent against man-blitz but 32(31st?) against zone-blitz. Which makes sense with a dual threat like Hurts.

Hopefully Spags can look at a spreadsheet and realize zone blitzes are good against the eagles and does a bunch of zone blitzes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Yeah idgi why people aren’t hype on this

I think the playoffs this year has a lot to do with it. Last year had a ton of great games, some of them all time classics, with the Divisional round being insane (Bengals-Titans was close, San Francisco hilariously beating Green Bay, the crazy Rams-Bucs game, all capped off by :13 Seconds in Kansas City) leading to a pair of very good and entertaining Conference championship games before the Super Bowl. All of that created a ton of buzz and excitement which carried over in the weeks leading to the Super Bowl, which had cool stories behind the Bengals and Stafford with the Rams that were very easy for basically everyone to get interested in.

The Divisional round this year wasn't nearly as exciting, featuring two blow outs, a gimpy Mahomes getting by Jacksonville, and a close but defensive slugfest in the 49ers-Cowboys game. The NFC Championship game was over by the second quarter once it was clear Purdy was hurt, Josh Johnson was barely able to run the offense, and all the Eagles had to do was just not gently caress up. The AFC Championship game was close, but also had a ton of penalties and wasn't nearly as good as any of the previous three Bengals-Chiefs games that had been played in just over a calendar year.

Both franchises having won the Super Bowl in very recent memory (Even though for the Eagles they've turned over almost the entire roster and the coaching staff is different) also lowers the stakes a good bit for people outside the respective fanbases or their rivals.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
Imagine going back to 2016 after the Eagles drafted Wentz and telling a Philly fan that they would win a Super Bowl and be in a second in less then 8 years.

"Oh wow, we really found our franchise QB and Coach!"

About that...

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

They're paying Hurts (and should)

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

for the sort of person who enjoys the nfl narratively but doesn't particularly care about a football play, neither team is an obvious big bad or hero. i tried to provide these people with a story last week but it did not take. the story was about one of these franchises being able to ascend into the elite franchises forever, and the other being shunned away. i thought it was going to work and i had put a lot of work into the tale

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The NFL was too busy scripting the games to make the scripts interesting this year.

No offense to either Super Bowl team but things would be more interesting if you had the Bengals (can Burrow and company win the big one this time?) or 49ers (can Shanny finally win a Super Bowl with the unlikeliest of QB stories?)

The Eagles haven't really gotten the hype that most other NFC teams have gotten (kinda unfairly considering how all-around stacked and talented that team is), while Mahomes and Reid already have a ring so who cares if they get a second one. Honestly it's pretty weird there's not that much hype around the Eagles since it's not the same team that won the Super Bowl a few years ago, but also nobody gives as much a poo poo about Hurts (despite being a solid MVP candidate) compared to the AFC elite or the garbage in the NFC (seriously, the best-looking QB besides Hurts this year is, what, Kirk Cousins? Geno Smith? Brock Purdy?).

It's a weird situation all around. If I believed the NFL was scripted I'd say this would be the perfect justification to get Mahomes a second ring and Reid a win over his old team, but luckily the NFL is too incompetent to script these games so the Eagles will probably just strangle the life out of the Chiefs and win a fine-if-anticlimatic Super Bowl. And hey, who cares how you win if you get the win.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I feel like Hurts doesn't get the same hype of his contemporaries because there's nothing particularly flashy about his game. I'm trying to think of a less highlight-reel-worthy (but very good) running QB from the past 15 years and drawing a blank. He doesn't make the incredible throws of a Mahomes and doesn't have the brilliant and elusive running talent of a Jackson. Dude just gets poo poo done with competent passing and the ability to run through you.

He's also got a deeply chill and understated personality, so even his interviews are just kind of ... fine. He says all the right things and the team absolutely benefits from his leadership, he's just not gonna give you a good soundbite.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

syzpid posted:

Imagine going back to 2016 after the Eagles drafted Wentz and telling a Philly fan that they would win a Super Bowl and be in a second in less then 8 years.

"Oh wow, we really found our franchise QB and Coach!"

About that...

It's kinda crazy that there's only, what, four or five players still from the 2017 team?

Rick Lovato
Brandon Graham
Fletcher Cox
Jason Kelce

Am I missing someone?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Toaster Beef posted:

I feel like Hurts doesn't get the same hype of his contemporaries because there's nothing particularly flashy about his game. I'm trying to think of a less highlight-reel-worthy (but very good) running QB from the past 15 years and drawing a blank. He doesn't make the incredible throws of a Mahomes and doesn't have the brilliant and elusive running talent of a Jackson. Dude just gets poo poo done with competent passing and the ability to run through you.

He's also got a deeply chill and understated personality, so even his interviews are just kind of ... fine. He says all the right things and the team absolutely benefits from his leadership, he's just not gonna give you a good soundbite.

Culpepper maybe, but because of Moss he got highlight reels anyway. He never threw that many picks, 2002 aside. Hurts runs a lot more often than Culpepper ever did, but they both had similar Y/A on their rushes.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Quiet Feet posted:

It's kinda crazy that there's only, what, four or five players still from the 2017 team?

Rick Lovato
Brandon Graham
Fletcher Cox
Jason Kelce

Am I missing someone?

Jake Elliot

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/mckenziemnelson/status/1624490119913693186?s=46&t=iV-ZwZ_WNBYY7r3xCnndJA

Lol

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Toaster Beef posted:

I think so many pro writers and anlysts were wrong about Hurts (especially if you look at the offseason stuff and see people predicting that Minshew would take over after 4-6 games) that instead of admitting they were wrong they just ignore him. So he's not really getting a ton of great press, and those people who are writing about the Eagles are just trying to give AJ Brown all the credit when you still need a QB who can get the ball near him.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Kerby Joseph should appear at Aaron Rodgers’ 96 hour self-imposed Skinamarink house exile and occasionally shout at Aaron to throw the ball over the middle again in a scary demon voice.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Was Aaron in his gentrified solitary this weekend? Lol if he set it up to over NFL Honors and the super bowl

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

syzpid posted:

I think so many pro writers and anlysts were wrong about Hurts (especially if you look at the offseason stuff and see people predicting that Minshew would take over after 4-6 games) that instead of admitting they were wrong they just ignore him. So he's not really getting a ton of great press, and those people who are writing about the Eagles are just trying to give AJ Brown all the credit when you still need a QB who can get the ball near him.

Hurts turning out good is a surprise to me and I've watched him since college.

I'm happy for him and he does seem legitimately good. I like the guy, just saying I'm surprised too. It's not a Josh Allen turnaround or anything, but it's 'well hell, I didn't see this coming.'

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Quiet Feet posted:

Rick Lovato
Brandon Graham
Fletcher Cox
Jason Kelce

Am I missing someone?

OL
Jason Kelce
Isaac Seumalo
LaneJohnson

DL
Brandon Graham
Fletcher Cox

ST
Jake Elliott
Rick Lovato

Eagles also trying to become only the second team ever to win super bowls with a new HC and new QB within 6 years (Raiders 76 and 80). They're the fourth team to make the super bowl in this fashion, and the first since the Patriots (Bledsoe/Parcells and Brady/Bellichick)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Honestly the Hurts and Mahomes storylines/legacies alone make this SB super exciting for me. We’re seeing something special.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/icyvert/status/1624170160499089415?s=46&t=Un-JGC4cBEs_wJEIDUCMZw

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

syzpid posted:

This hadn't occurred to me until you brought it up, but there's probably a lot of truth to this. Even if Hurts has a great game tomorrow, I can see the media downplaying it in favor of other players

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god that ending

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

I'm going to hell - the Toyota instant replay got a big laugh from me.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That's fantastic

Also fantastic:

https://twitter.com/JaguarGator9NFL/status/1624075722984951808

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Am I crazy or does that not sound like Joe buck or Troy Aikman at all, just generic white guy?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Asproigerosis posted:

Am I crazy or does that not sound like Joe buck or Troy Aikman at all, just generic white guy?

Joe Buck sounds like a dude kinda impersonating Joe Buck, Troy sounds like a just a rando. I just kinda assumed it was dudes reading an AI generated script.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Bank robbing wolfs head wearing chiefs fan will be at Super Bowl

https://twitter.com/mckenziemnelson/status/1624490119913693186?s=46&t=cPO_A7NZGAzTnoRrhUjwrQ

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

How did they know that's exactly what I wanted

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Lookit that man huck that rock.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Can't be overstated how putrid the early 70's Eagles were. Dick Vermeil was a miracle worker

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Okay I had a genuine lol at the bit about what’s goes best in the morning

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

shyduck posted:

Can't be overstated how putrid the early 70's Eagles were. Dick Vermeil was a miracle worker

Also the white helmets will never not look weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Okay I had a genuine lol at the bit about what’s goes best in the morning

I think my favorite part is AI Aikman's (AIkman's) disappointment that only one bomb was dropped because you 'can't expect it to do much damage'