Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You can use them if you have the correct weapon proficiencies. They're a handy way to check up what you need first so you can work towards it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pureauthor posted:

You can use them if you have the correct weapon proficiencies. They're a handy way to check up what you need first so you can work towards it.

How can I get the weapon proficiency?
I asked earlier about Leif and people werev saying that classes were a track

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You second seal into them once promoted.

E:Or I guess second seal into the base class and then promote it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah, you misread my post. Master seals are on tracks, but you can use a second seal right after a master seal to go to anything you have proficiency for

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

HootTheOwl posted:

On the class change screen, under the character's model on the left side of the screen should be a box with 8 icons for the different weapon proficiencies. If the icon is greyed out, you're not proficient. If it's white, you're proficient. If it's blue, it's that character's innate talent, which gives them proficiency, and also makes it so that if you promote into a class with two weapons including the talented one, the talented weapon proficiency will be one rank higher than normal.

You learn weapon proficiencies by hitting specific bond levels with the different Emblems. It confused the hell out of me, too, at first when I was seeing messages that my characters had gained proficiency in a weapon, but I couldn't actually equip them with those weapons.

Each base class has specific advanced classes that they have to promote into, but once you're in an advanced class, you can use a Second Seal to switch to any other advanced class you meet the weapon proficiency requirements for.

W.T. Fits fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 12, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

Weapon proficiency is one of the things you gain by leveling your bond with an Emblem, like virtually all of them give you proficiency in swords because they’re Fire Emblem lords, which means you can reclass into a class that needs that as a requirement, like changing your mage into a sword fighter. When going up a tier, you get two* options based on your aptitudes, like for instance Clanne has an innate aptitude in sword without ever using an emblem ring, so he can go into mage knight, but leveling his bond with Celica or Michiah gives staves that lets him go into sage since that requires tomes/staves, or getting him proficiencies in spears/axes lets him go into the spear/axe variants of mage knight.

People say to level your bond with Leif because he has virtually every weapon proficiency so you can get most of the reclass options fairly easily.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

this game definitely did the best job of balancing infantry and mounted* units that I can think of. Possibly ever? But I'd have to sit down and think about it to decide that for sure.

*counting both cavalry and flyers; cavalry have been kind of weak for a few games in a row now but flyers have remained strong

The balance in the game is interesting. I'm not sure how it'll stack post DLC but backup feels incredibly centralising with hero and warrior being tremendously powerful.

I'm pressed to find a cavalry class where the infantry or flier version isn't just better though. Great Knight is probably the only exception.

Endorph posted:

yeah people are vastly overrating canto i feel like. its nice but i think its only worth getting on seadall and your healers.

Not at all. Canter is absolutely pivotal. It is dirt cheap for what it is and essentially grants two extra mov to everyone and crucially you can reach the ceiling for it on multiple characters before 10/11.

It's huge for strike and fade offense, huge for healers so that they can burn normal staffs instead of physics for unsafe heals. It's incredible on a fog Tiki because they can fire fog breath and then move into the fog.

It's essential on characters with backup because they can move to support multiple units with a 100% after an attack.

It's two movement, just, get two movement on everyone, you're never going to regret it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

HootTheOwl posted:

You automatically gain weapon proficiencies once you hit a certain bond level with emblems. For early game examples, Marth gives sword proficiency to the character at Bond 8; Sigurd grants lance proficiency at bond 6 and sword prof at bond 9.

So if you wanted to make, say, Framme a lance fighter, you'd simply need to get her to bond 6 with Sigurd to gain lance proficiency. She doesn't need Sigurd equipped, she just needs the bond level that grants the proficiency.

Natural 20 posted:

I'm pressed to find a cavalry class where the infantry or flier version isn't just better though. Great Knight is probably the only exception.

Wolf Knight is a pretty interesting contrast to thief. Thief is way better defensively and pass is much more useful than hobble, but wolf knight's sword access and relatively okay magic stat allows someone like Merrin to attack decently into high defense with a levin sword, which covers for one of the few weaknesses of daggers.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 12, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Oh, ok. So I was right, I can use leaf's proficiency for reclassing. Thanks.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kanos posted:

You automatically gain weapon proficiencies once you hit a certain bond level with emblems. For early game examples, Marth gives sword proficiency to the character at Bond 8; Sigurd grants lance proficiency at bond 6 and sword prof at bond 9.

So if you wanted to make, say, Framme a lance fighter, you'd simply need to get her to bond 6 with Sigurd to gain lance proficiency. She doesn't need Sigurd equipped, she just needs the bond level that grants the proficiency.

Wolf Knight is a pretty interesting contrast to thief. Thief is way better defensively and pass is much more useful than hobble, but wolf knight's sword access and relatively okay magic stat allows someone like Merrin to attack decently into high defense with a levin sword, which covers for one of the few weaknesses of daggers.

I don’t know what they were thinking with forged knives

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So what are these exploration rewards? I donated a lot of good wheres the steel?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

So what are these exploration rewards? I donated a lot of good wheres the steel?

It makes the rewards that you can pick up after battles more plentiful, and also makes skirmishes have a higher chance of the boss giving better rewards.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Donating multiplies the rewards you get at the end of a battle that happens in that specific country you donated. Might be too late to say this now, but donating past Level 2 is not worth it outside of Brodia, because Level 3 doesn't give more ingot multipliers for most countries and money is pretty tight in this game.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

My dogs on a farm have done more for my weapon upkeep than any militarized nation

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't know what the point of those two sages in Sigurd's paralogue is, but I took them out just because.

And I'm once again very glad I play on casual. :v:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Cythereal posted:

I don't know what the point of those two sages in Sigurd's paralogue is, but I took them out just because.

In the stage the paralogue is referencing from FE4, two extremely, monstrously powerful later game bosses show up to gently caress with you. They only leave if you finish the stage or they kill one of your dudes. Those ultra-sages are meant to be representative stand-ins for those bosses.

There's tons of hulked out generic enemies with revive gems in the various paralogues that are meant to represent characters from the stages being referenced, like how in the new Camilla paralogue she's joined by a juiced up wyvern rider(representing Beruka) and a juiced up bow knight(representing Selena).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

That map in the original has a couple of super-strong guys watching the fight there.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kanos posted:

There's tons of hulked out generic enemies with revive gems in the various paralogues that are meant to represent characters from the stages being referenced, like how in the new Camilla paralogue she's joined by a juiced up wyvern rider(representing Beruka) and a juiced up bow knight(representing Selena).

Ah. I haven't bought any of the DLC and am working on the Emblem paralogues now, so this is the first time I think I've seen this, unless that random thief with a gem in Micaiah's paralogue was meant to be someone.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They don't watch, they'll hunt you down and leave after they kill one of you or you get rid of Ishtar.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cythereal posted:

Ah. I haven't bought any of the DLC and am working on the Emblem paralogues now, so this is the first time I think I've seen this, unless that random thief with a gem in Micaiah's paralogue was meant to be someone.

Yeah, if you don't know the original maps it can be easy to miss.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

Cythereal posted:

That’s Sothe. Micaiah actually summons the entire Dawn Brigade when aggroed.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Pureauthor posted:

They don't watch, they'll hunt you down and leave after they kill one of you or you get rid of Ishtar.

You can also kill Julius to get them to leave!

I do not recommend trying to kill Julius in Chapter 10

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

You can also kill Julius to get them to leave!

I do not recommend trying to kill Julius in Chapter 10

I feel bad for everyone who had no other way to get the Leg Ring in Gen 2.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Cythereal posted:

Ike is the father of his children.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
To represent Awakening's galeforce brainworms that I fell victim to Lucina should've had a non-inheritable skill that gave the user Galeforce if they have 6000 unspent SP

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
jesus loving christ camilla why is your paralogue so goddamn long

"what if we had a one-tile wide snaking path filled with an absurd number of units and infinite reinforcements?" gently caress you, fates!!!!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Started over again, and...

Well, that's the first time I can remember taking a 1% crit in a while. Random archer in loving Chapter 2 Maddening, of all places. Alear died instantly.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

"what if we had a one-tile wide snaking path filled with an absurd number of units and infinite reinforcements?" gently caress you, fates!!!!

I don’t want to see another griffon knight in my life

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

wait they added camilla and didn't use conquest 10 for her paralogue?

what the gently caress?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

wait they added camilla and didn't use conquest 10 for her paralogue?

what the gently caress?

Nope! Birthright 23!

Which, I mean. To be fair, it is called Camilla.

But to be unfair, everything else.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

:psyduck:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

that map sucks rear end!

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

seriously how the gently caress do they make this game include a bunch of chapters from old games and not include what is arguably one of the single best maps in the entire series especially when it's her goddamn join chapter

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’m not a fan of all of the royals getting their own bespoke classes and stealing the cool abilities from the normal ones. Like how was the game improved by not having Alcryst just be an archer/sniper or Diamant a Hero? I think only Ivy and Hortensia aren’t identical to a preexisting class.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Celine and Alfred are sort of unique too, former's a sword/tome/staff infantry, latter gets both sword and lance on a horse without gaining an armor weakness. But yeah, it's kinda weird that half of them are generic classes with a proc skill.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think it's genuinely impressive that the devs thought Sol of all things was too powerful of a skill, so they decided to heavily nerf Diamant's class by giving it a 23 dex cap.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Diamant/Ike with Pair Up is an enemy phase monster with Sol healing up the damage he takes.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

I guess maybe the line of thought was that if you kept Roy on him he could eventually be immortal if he kept nailing Sol procs? But even if his Dex growth and cap were good, it's not exactly a reliable enough trick to be worth that much.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Tae posted:

I think it's genuinely impressive that the devs thought Sol of all things was too powerful of a skill, so they decided to heavily nerf Diamant's class by giving it a 23 dex cap.

They learned to be very cagey about infinite leech tanking, so the sources of it in this game are deliberately limited. Diamant's dex cap is too low to achieve anything approaching reliability on Sol procs, and Nosferatu(and the Runesword from the DLC) are engage only weapons so they're limited by the engage timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Diamant is still fast enough to get two rolls on Sol and is strong and bulky for it to be meaningful when it activates imo.

I think the idea is that the really game changing skills are from the Emblems. Ephraim’s Solar Brace always activates as long as it’s Player Phase, for example.

e: Adding on to this idea, engaging with the twins gives Eclipse Brace, which dual procs Sol and Luna, something I’m pretty sure has never been possible before.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 12, 2023