Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
Can we please open a quarantine thread for cheating in MLB? I'm really loving sick of the same conversation in here every two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Marlins traded former 1st round pick JJ Bleday to the A’s for A.J. Puk

God the Marlins have really botched a bunch of those picks

Puk was taken number 6 overall so really it's a wash.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Sab0921 posted:

He didn't and it's pretty well documented by this point - he has been the face of sign stealing for all of MLB which clear by now extended beyond the Astros, bore the brunt of the fan backlash, never said a negative word about it or about anyone while never participating n the can banging.

Altuve is an actual saint.

He’s such a good guy that knew his teammates were cheating and did nothing to stop it

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Pungry posted:

Can we please open a quarantine thread for cheating in MLB? I'm really loving sick of the same conversation in here every two weeks.

:emptyquote:

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Pungry posted:

No. Let me have my day. People say some pretty rude poo poo to me here about this stuff that I've never once reciprocated - so whenever one of these - hey other teams cheated things come out - let me have my fun.

This one is the Dodgers too - it's basically winning the World Series of being an online Astros fan

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sab0921 posted:

No. Let me have my day. People say some pretty rude poo poo to me here about this stuff that I've never once reciprocated - so whenever one of these - hey other teams cheated things come out - let me have my fun.

This one is the Dodgers too - it's basically winning the World Series of being an online Astros fan

You make it absolutely insufferable to post in this thread, and if you send me another weird PM about it I will post it here.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh my loving God can we not re-litigate the Astros cheating thing for the nine hundredth time?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Timby posted:

Oh my loving God can we not re-litigate the Astros cheating thing for the nine hundredth time?

Seriously. Baseball is nearly back. Actual 2023 baseball

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Timby posted:

No you see THIS is about the DODGERS cheating. This is different.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Pungry posted:

seriously it's genuinely a meaty enough topic to warrant a thread (Deflategate got a thread in TFF iirc?) and there are maybe four people max who enjoy the posting about it

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Sab0921 posted:

This is weird, you are weird

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
free hotlanta man

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Having a postgasm every time some unnamed source says "X team also cheated" isn't doing the Astros any favors tbh

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Squall posted:

free hotlanta man

or don’t actually

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Squall posted:

free hotlanta man

I'm okay with not having a racist back, frankly.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Squall posted:

free hotlanta man

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You make it absolutely insufferable to post in this thread, and if you send me another weird PM about it I will post it here.

I'm pretty sure it was after another personal insult from you and just said have more fun posting and no one will ever give a poo poo that you were one of the good ones who was distraught by sign stealing when proclaiming us all to be child abusers for taking our kids to Astros games.

So anyway - you should have more fun in life generally, you seem kind of wound up.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sab0921 posted:

I'm pretty sure it was after another personal insult from you and just said have more fun posting and no one will ever give a poo poo that you were one of the good ones who was distraught by sign stealing when proclaiming us all to be child abusers for taking our kids to Astros games.

So anyway - you should have more fun in life generally, you seem kind of wound up.

Oh my God shut up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I am begging you all to simply put Sab on ignore

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Did you dicks even read the loving twitter thread? the dodgers weren't banging trash cans, they were just using the replay room to decode the signs during the game like the Red Sox were. Everyone was stealing signs, the Astros were just the worst about it.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I swear to GOD I am NOT mad.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Intruder posted:

Having a postgasm every time some unnamed source says "X team also cheated" isn't doing the Astros any favors tbh

I do it because it's abundantly clear at this point the Astros were not unique in MLB no matter how much posters here want them to be - so every time something like this comes out (or the myriad of players who have said on record the Astros were not unique), I like to post about it, because it is MLB news related to the biggest MLB story of this century.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I'd vote for a dedicated cheating thread.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Timby posted:

The thing is, we've never really hashed it out, because this is a friendly thread and no one want to be a dick about it. But you know what? It really sucks that the Astros won another world series with the same core of players that faced no punishment for cheating in 2017. It's bullshit. It's not fair.

And that's fine. Life isn't fair. But it's grating when Astros fans keep making false equivalencies between their scandal and unrelated poo poo. Like when the commemorative balls story came out, you had Astros posters rushing to post it, because look, everyone's cheating. These balls that were one gram heavier are p much the same as the Astros' multi-year, organization-wide sign-stealing operation, right?? It's so transparent and so annoying.

Devils Avocado
Mar 25, 2009
Is it not fair because the Astros were supposed to crumble into dust due to shame and blow away into oblivion?

Or is it not fair because they were supposed to be revealed as being dependent on the banging and never be good again?

Or because every player from the 2017 team should have been banned for life and the entire farm system scattered to the wind and Minute Maid Park demolished and the earth salted so that nothing would ever grow there again?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
it's baseball, jfc cheating is in the fabric of the game. everyone is cheating except for the teams who have owners who are so cheap they refuse to approve the cheating budget

do people who get upset about no consequences for the 2017 Astros also get mad about the 1951 Giants or Gaylord Perry being in the Hall, too?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Feb 12, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baseball has literally never been clean. I can't get my hackles up about the Astros (or the Dodgers, or the Red Sox, or whomever) because it's simply the state of the game. If it wasn't segregation and institutionalized racism, it was Babe Ruth shooting ram testosterone into his rear end. If it wasn't that, it was still institutionalized racism. If it wasn't that, it was amphetamines. If it wasn't that, it was cocaine. If it wasn't that, it was back to testosterone-adjacent injections. If it wasn't that, it was the cream and the clear. If it wasn't that, it was banging trash cans or players abusing amphetamines (again) and taking poo poo that is probably not-yet detected by anti-doping agencies. And teams have been stealing signs since the dawn of the game.

And I say that as a Cubs and Orioles fan, so I am well-used to misery.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Feb 12, 2023

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

maffew buildings posted:

it's baseball, jfc cheating is in the fabric of the game. everyone is cheating except for the teams who have owners who are so cheap they refuse to approve the cheating budget

do people who get upset about no consequences for the 2017 Astros also get mad about the 1951 Giants or Gaylord Perry being in the Hall, too?

look, a dumb idiot who can't tell the difference between something 5 years ago and 70 years ago

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Maybe a thread to develop an SAS consensus would be a good idea. Not as a quarantine but so that everything could be just a bit more settled.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Hand Knit posted:

Maybe a thread to develop an SAS consensus would be a good idea. Not as a quarantine but so that everything could be just a bit more settled.

That's absolutely not gonna happen lol. Just probe anyone who brings up cheating at all so I don't have to sit through the exact same conversations 10000000 times.

At this point I can't even be mad at the astros anymore. Just shut up about it if you're not going to be funny.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I think it's tight the Astros have committed the worst crime possible of being really good and made a bunch of people mad

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
I made a catch-all cheating in sports thread since I think the topic is interesting enough to merit a broader discussion than just about baseball: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023913

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4023914&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Oh, I made a thread specifically for the 17 Astros

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

I'd vote for a dedicated cheating thread.
unless Sab is probed for posting anything about cheating in this thread, it will make no difference

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Feb 12, 2023

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

do people who get upset about no consequences for the 2017 Astros also get mad about the 1951 Giants too?
this is a funny thing to post considering both teams cheated against the Dodgers specifically

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I can't believe you guys are still talking about this. I made my dumb comment, bawfuls responded and I figured we would move on from the conspiracy theory post.

Y'all gotta do better than taking the bait. If it annoys you that much then just ignore him.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Ammat The Ankh posted:

That's absolutely not gonna happen lol. Just probe anyone who brings up cheating at all so I don't have to sit through the exact same conversations 10000000 times.

At this point I can't even be mad at the astros anymore. Just shut up about it if you're not going to be funny.

I mean it is actually a significant thing that happened in the sport so I would prefer to not have to consign it to the "goons cannot be trusted to even mention this" vault.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Just probe anyone who brings up cheating at all so I don't have to sit through the exact same conversations 10000000 times.
its one poster who everyone else can't resist replying to, we all know where the dumb derails come from

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Hand Knit posted:

I mean it is actually a significant thing that happened in the sport so I would prefer to not have to consign it to the "goons cannot be trusted to even mention this" vault.

I think it would be cool if instead the goon who keeps shitposting or posting in bad faith is the one who gets consigned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I still contend that, as much as literally everyone in baseball cheats to get ahead, the Astros had an extremely organized and high-tech setup that relied on *hitting a loving garbage can with a bat* and there was photographic and video evidence of the entire setup.

It's not damning, but it *is* extremely. loving. funny. That's it. That's all. I will never let it go because it's the stupidest cheat since Belle's corked bat shenanigans and it's FUNNY.

Everyone cheats. Not everyone bamgs a trash can. That's the difference.