Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

After studying and watching MisterMetronome stream some drafts, I have decided to go back in.

Draft #6

https://www.17lands.com/draft/2f159bbb7c8547c48050415d4e5291a2

Got Forge again, maybe this time I can use it lol.

I could feel the pinch on the RG cards, especially the G cards? In pack 2 when I got passed a White Sun's Twilight and Bladehold War-Whip (the latter of which wheeled and there was nothing in the pack so I got it lol) I panicked and thought about pivoting. Pack 3 kinda bailed me out with two Cinderslash Ravagers and a bunch of Predation Stewards to fill the "You must have two-drops" dictum, which i realized i had neglected lmao. There was that rare red card that got oil counters for noncreature spells but I remembered the post here that was like "Don't fall for rarity" and I thought about how many noncreature spells I would have and guessed one of the other three oil cards in that pack was a better choice. I went with Lattice-blade mantis, but I wonder if Cacophony Scamp would have been better to lower the curve... Is Molten Rebuke too clunky? I don't have too much removal otherwise, but I could play a Free from Flesh in its place...

Anyway this is what I have, I guess it's time for the gameplay test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

This assumes that you value your time at nothing, i.e. you're enjoying playing the draft games for their own sake. If you're viewing draft as a chore to get cards then you're probably better off just buying packs and playing the stuff you enjoy playing. If the entire game is a chore then you should quit and play something else instead, life's too short for that bullshit.

OK thanks, well I was enjoying the draft games when I was doing alright at them. Now that I got 0 wins twice in a row I'm not touching that poo poo again. There's some drafts where I would trophy every other try, or at least get 3-4 wins each time but ONE seems to be cursed for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know we complain about the shuffler on a regular basis, but holy poo poo, this is getting kinda ridiculous. I have just stopped using dual lands altogether, and getting better hands as a result.

Like I get that I am doing dumb poo poo like trying to force Abzan in a set where wedge mana support doesn't exist, but what the gently caress, even putting in a SINGLE dual land leaves me, frequently, with hands full of cards that need one color, and a mana base of the other two.

edit: I threw in the one Mirrex I had. In ten games, I did not NOT (double negative) get the Mirrex in either my initial hand or first mull.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Feb 12, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Keep or mull?

Based on the seminar's explicit advice about this exact setup, I mulled this. I also managed to beat a resolved Koth that was about to ult, so if Arena wanted to contrive a scenario that would pull me back from the brink of giving up on the game entirely they succeeded lol

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

That's the kind of hand I know I should mull but I talk myself into keeping thinking I might get color screwed on the next one

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

snyprmag posted:

That's the kind of hand I know I should mull but I talk myself into keeping thinking I might get color screwed on the next one

that hand is already a mull to five because it's got two uncastables in it

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Your best case scenario is that you draw a bear in the next two draws. If you draw like skullbomb, infectious bite or some "fine" draw, then you're going to have a tough time doing anything if your first play is an (essentially) vanilla 2/3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I know we complain about the shuffler on a regular basis, but holy poo poo, this is getting kinda ridiculous. I have just stopped using dual lands altogether, and getting better hands as a result.

Like I get that I am doing dumb poo poo like trying to force Abzan in a set where wedge mana support doesn't exist, but what the gently caress, even putting in a SINGLE dual land leaves me, frequently, with hands full of cards that need one color, and a mana base of the other two.

edit: I threw in the one Mirrex I had. In ten games, I did not NOT (double negative) get the Mirrex in either my initial hand or first mull.

After I got 1x all lands, and then 2x all wrong lands in the one draft I had confidence in being a great deck I've decided to put no lands in my decks to make sure it never happens again

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Khanstant posted:

After I got 1x all lands, and then 2x all wrong lands in the one draft I had confidence in being a great deck I've decided to put no lands in my decks to make sure it never happens again

Unironically same, I'm playing standard, but all my dual-lands are out the window, only mana fixing is Evolving Wilds (cuz I got the D&D retro one), I am playing with straight basics now, and the deck is coming back around to consistency.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I guess my deck has five 1 or 2-drop creatures, it stands to reason that I could repeatedly miss on hitting 1 in 8 lol

Once again I mulled, and since I was on the play I kept this one

What is the optimal curve for a deck like this anyway, is my deck too top-heavy?

Edit: hypergeometric calculator tells me my chances of starting with one of those 5 is 63.9%. Not great, I guess I would feel shaky with those odds in XCOM lol

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Feb 12, 2023

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Yeah I think your deck is looking not great on 2. Pick up a few more/better ones early to have a bit of a choice, I'd say your deck could do with a couple more or some cheap removal.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Axiom engraver is very good if you can get them. It's by far the better oil 2 drop since steward is just a bear with a bad overcoated ability you have a very good chance just never using. An incidental free rummage or 2 is pretty much always good though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Keep or mull?

Based on the seminar's explicit advice about this exact setup, I mulled this. I also managed to beat a resolved Koth that was about to ult, so if Arena wanted to contrive a scenario that would pull me back from the brink of giving up on the game entirely they succeeded lol
If you built your deck to be full of 1 and 2 drops and/or cantrips, you can keep this imo, though yeah it's risky in this format. You didn't tho, so the mull was correct.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
This set is really weird for me. I have a bunch of trophies in RG and am between 0-3 and 3-3 with other colours. With the other decks I either can't stabilise enough or don't have enough reach and it just feels really mediocre but I'm probably also drafting and playing them wrong a lot of the times

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

elbkaida posted:

This set is really weird for me. I have a bunch of trophies in RG and am between 0-3 and 3-3 with other colours. With the other decks I either can't stabilise enough or don't have enough reach and it just feels really mediocre but I'm probably also drafting and playing them wrong a lot of the times

I haven't found RG open yet, my two best are mono-toxic WG, and a pretty standard RW with the Wanderer. Which tracks.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
love when ppl post their schizophrenic takes on statistics

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
There is no better feeling in MTG than seeing your opponent’s commander is Baral and mulliganing until Allosaurus Shepherd is in your opening hand. Literally rolled on the floor laughing when they scooped turn 4.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I want to meet the cackling villain who builds a deck with that as commander lol.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Finally ate a bad mulligan, this deck is not going to produce a turn 2 play... i dunno what I am going to do about that lol, lost to "the worst colors in the format" since I didn't draw my reach creatures or removal

Edit 2: flood city, lost again to "the worst color in the format"

time to hit the speedbag

Edit 3: jesus loving christ

avoiding articulating my true feelings which would get me probated at best lol, i guess i keep?

This game sucks so much loving poo poo it's unbelievable

Happy they pulled and played their mythic i guess

2-3, 13-18 41.94%, maybe it's not best for me to play the set with all the torture imagery

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Feb 12, 2023

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what would it take you to just simply stop playing the magic the gathering because it seems like it's been months since you've enjoyed playing the game, if not longer

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
when the game becomes a job you're not getting paid for, stop playing

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

thespaceinvader posted:

I haven't found RG open yet, my two best are mono-toxic WG, and a pretty standard RW with the Wanderer. Which tracks.

R/G is being overdrafted right now because the LR guys and Chord of Calls both said it was the best archetype.

little munchkin posted:

Control just doesn't work in modern limited. threats are super efficient/robust now and synergy decks attack from so many angles that it's not possible to build a deck that can protect you from every possible direction. Also even aggro decks get to be loaded with 2-for-1s so those divinations don't get you anywhere. If you lean too hard on blocking/removal/countermagic as your gameplan your opponent will eventually draw/assemble something that plays over the top of you.

Gotta be proactive and see removal/counters as a means to an end, and not a gameplan in itself.

It depends on the set. You could draft a good control deck in Dominaria United and Strixhaven mainly because they were slower formats.

Fish Of Doom fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 12, 2023

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

wolfman101 posted:

There is no better feeling in MTG than seeing your opponent’s commander is Baral and mulliganing until Allosaurus Shepherd is in your opening hand. Literally rolled on the floor laughing when they scooped turn 4.

These are the moments you Magic for.

I burned a bunch of wildcards to gently caress around with toxic in the play queue. It's fun, but terrible on the draw.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

wolfman101 posted:

Rap Game Goku posted:

These are the moments you Magic for.

Flashing out a Containment Priest in response to my opponent triggering 4 Arclight Phoenixes in their graveyard, followed by a long shatter pause, was still one of the greatest feelings I've ever gotten from Magic.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Second draft (I've been away) was an easy trophy.

Turns out the trick is for every card in your deck to say poison, toxic, or proliferate.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Khanstant posted:

I want to meet the cackling villain who builds a deck with that as commander lol.

I'm the cackling culprit who runs Baral. And I'd just yoink that elf on turn 3 with Blue Sun's Zenith / Entrancing Melody / Archmage's Charm or deactivate it with Witness Protection / Mystic Subdual or bounce it then Mystic Reflection :cmon:

edit: And by the way, Gale's Redirection is my new favorite Baral card, easily the best card in my deck. Nice uncounterable Chandra/Koma you have on the stack, would be a shame if I exiled it then cast it myself for free.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 12, 2023

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Baral and 99 islands, see how many people concede during mulligans.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Baral and 99 islands, see how many people concede during mulligans.

I actually did that for my boyfriend when he first started playing.

edit: Just ran into an opponent, username "Netdecking is cheating." typed out like that, got a LOL outta me.

edit 2: drat I've never seen this combo before, actually got my dragon cheat deck, 384 damage on Turn 3:

edit 3: No idea how I missed it but apparently there's a card called Mana Confluence and it's basically City of Brass, just crafted a playset for the Dragon Cheat deck: https://scryfall.com/card/jou/163/mana-confluence

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 13, 2023

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think I've had three attempts at playing Arena. Once around the end of the Beta, another time about a year to 18 months ago, maybe? and this time. Whatever I seem to do I always end up "waiting" for something. I know this is just the catch of Standard, but every time I've played there's always something in the next week or two to aim for. It's almost always a set release, I think once it was a rotation, and then you have waiting for things to come up for drafting. Sometimes you're waiting for particular packs to be available from somewhere, sometimes it's just, "Wait for the new mastery pass." ONE quickdraft being the one I'm waiting for now. There never seems to be a "stable" time when I jump in (although I'm sure that'd present its own problems.)

I'm sitting on most of the gold I think I've had since the start and from each time I played. About 18k's worth. And it's tempting to just dump it all in ONE cards (and someone will be sure to say, "Do XY set instead of ONE!!")

As I was saying in the Discord I think there needs to be dunce hats for your avatar. I'd happily wear one just to let my opponents know they're playing a certified idiot.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

The only way to start is to start and play in whatever way seems fun to you with what you have.

Hell I just spent the last two hours slamming my head in the car door that is Ranked Standard Bo1 and got all of one win out of it despite playing good decks and (so far as I could tell) mostly error-free.

It's just a game, and you can't enjoy it or get better without just jamming games.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Critique my draft and deck!

https://www.17lands.com/draft/30ad6ddf8a164f699f3ea014694ddc81

Is Churning Reservoir a trap? At least 1 batterfist needs to come out for tricks I guess

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Toozler posted:

Is Churning Reservoir a trap? At least 1 batterfist needs to come out for tricks I guess
P1P6: Myr Convert does nothing for you (you have two colors that seem open so far and are not a Toxic deck). Axiom Engraver is secretly very, very good - blocks early, well, smooths out your draws, and even has oil synergies in your particular case

P2P3: I'd have taken the second Engraver in your case, if I'd already had two, I'd be happy with the Cultivator
P2P4: Having two Engravers already, this would have opened up the land pick
P2P5: Reservoir has been very good for me in my Rakdos oil deck (which trophied), though it was mostly very good to load up Charforgers, which would then reliably draw cards + give me a goblin extra. Your deck can still do reservoir on Engraver + loot + goblin, which seems strong to me. Also, just spread the love and then you suddenly have an 8/3 trampler!
P2P9: I have no idea why I see so many Hexgold Slashes go late. Great signal for you ofc

P3P1: I'd be tempted to splash this rare. After all, you do have the Myr :v:. All the other cards seems aggressively mediocre anyway
P3P3: I think in a vacuum, I'd prefer the Stand (it's very good even as a 1-mana-trick), but you already have a lot of removal (and a trick I wouldn't have taken just now, but you do have it, so it counts) and probably need more early creatures. Good pick
P3P4: People have been hyping up the Strider as being very very good, though I've heard similar things about the Mantis. I think this could go either way, and taking the lower-costed creature is probably the right call
P3P5: I think that's like the fourth pick where I said "take this over that...oh, here is this again", lol. I wouldn't take a second Strider, the Scamp has been good for me, but your mantis -> strider pick order was great obv
P3P7: I'd take the Scamp here for oil synergies + finisher in case you don't quite get there (also fun with the Reservoir), but I don't think your pick is wrong, I'm just a synergy whore
P3P8: If I'd taken the rare P3P1, I'd be dancing in merriment about the Roots here
P3P9: lmfao
P3P13: every "maybe this over that" pick in this draft is just "oh whatever your color is free as poo poo" anyway I guess haha

Deck: Sawblade over Cacophony scamp imo. Not splashing the rare is probably the right call, you want to win before it comes out. Your deck seems much more aggressive than mine was, so it's possible that the Reservoir won't be good for you, but I personally would still play it to make my various oilers infinite. Batterfists are great, I'd keep them both. Lose the Myr Convert instead, probably for the Crescendo which could be pretty clutch late.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Toozler posted:

Reservoir is definitely playable (especially with cards like the fuseling or a golem) but in your deck a free from flesh might be better instead. I'm on the fence about running the taplands in an aggressive deck like this, it's been quite annoying a few times when I just want to curve into a 4 or 5 drop but need to take a turn off. Not as annoying as going to attackers without having activated the furnace strider, mind. Lost a number of T5s to that now unfortunately lol

Edit: Not sure I would agree on cutting the mana myr. Having a way to mitigate mana screw or ramp out 4/5 drops a turn early is good. But 17lands has the convert a bit lower so maybe I'm wrong there.

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Feb 13, 2023

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
What am I supposed to do (other than post 500 whines in the thread) against a deck that was pretty much all removal? Every turn I dropped a creature, it was met with Cut Down, Go for the Throat, Burn Down the House, Invoke Despair, etc. I'm just confused about how you are supposed to deal with that when I can't get anything on the board.

I guess if I had nothing but burn cards then he couldn't remove those but that sounds like a deck with its own problems.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Node posted:

What am I supposed to do (other than post 500 whines in the thread) against a deck that was pretty much all removal? Every turn I dropped a creature, it was met with Cut Down, Go for the Throat, Burn Down the House, Invoke Despair, etc. I'm just confused about how you are supposed to deal with that when I can't get anything on the board.

I guess if I had nothing but burn cards then he couldn't remove those but that sounds like a deck with its own problems.

if they're just one-for-one'ing you, they're eventually going to run out, and all you really need is one thing to stick. the creature lands and other early action help with that a good amount

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

Maybe try Mono-U tempo, there's many budget ways to construct a deck in Historic/Explorer/Standard and you get a lot of tools to protect your own creatures (hexproof, phase them out with Slip Out the Back, Counterspells etc) and outgrind them (draw cards from Combat Research, Curiosity etc). Here's a standard deck that only uses 7 rares and no Mythic in the Maindeck, and you can replace the 3 March with something like Slip Out the Back if you don't have the wildcards. That's a top-tier deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-blue-tempo-mid#paper

You could also try White/Green/Red tokens, which can flood the board with tokens and often repopulate after a boardwipe. "For Mirrodin" from the newest set gives you creature tokens when you cast equipment, so if you can wiped you can equip up a single new guy.

There's also enchantments/artifacts that keep dropping tokens on the board each turn (Skrelv's Hive, Urabrask's Forge). The deck you're fighting sounds like it would have a difficult time removing Urabrask's Forge.

edit: Here's CGB playing the standard mono-U tempo and explaining his decisions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvEaZfKEisc

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 13, 2023

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Node posted:

Tell us more about your deck. What colors were you running? Usually the best play against removal-tribal is to keep ejecting creature cards or use a Hexproof/Phase Out instant (Loran's Escape, Tamiyo's Safekeeping, Slip Out the Back, etc.) Eventually they'll run out. Definitely try to drop them in pairs if they've got 3 black mana open (Liliana). Also token generators are a great way to gently caress over removal spam since they're effectively throwing it away. When they finally have to drop something of their own on the field you can remove it yourself.

Some cards can be brought back from the GY as well (Squee, Tenacious Underdog, Llanowar Greenwidow, etc.)

Alternatively, play Monoblue and say no to literally all of their plays with a counterspell. If they're going to be annoying, you can be annoying right back.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Feb 13, 2023

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Is Arena busted for anyone else? I can't open it on a Mac or a Windows machine - just get a black screen on launch - which feels weird. Status pages show nothing wrong, though.

EDIT: There are streamers playing, so the problem is probably on my end, somehow. Hm.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Boxman posted:

Is Arena busted for anyone else? I can't open it on a Mac or a Windows machine - just get a black screen on launch - which feels weird. Status pages show nothing wrong, though.

EDIT: There are streamers playing, so the problem is probably on my end, somehow. Hm.

All of my games are currently just ending in a draw before they load in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
I just barely beat a guy, who resolved Tyvar on turn 3 and kept it on the field for 6 turns, with a RW equipment aggro deck. It required me to randomly topdeck a 2 mana removal for his 6/6 flyer, me playing a Finisher with double strike, and him dumpstering all his removal with Tyvar. 😀