Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I didn't mean to imply it was due to maintenance or anything.

I meant to laugh at the Luftwaffe and its procurement. (Lockheed scandal)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

CSM posted:

It's clearly training footage. You shouldn't get your news from random Twitter accounts.

Yeah no poo poo, nobody is saying it's battle footage. Ukrainian opsec has been very good so multiple videos like this coming out at the same time is likely the result of an official decision or policy, possibly along with any commentary. Psyops or simply the fact that they're no longer at the training grounds and permitted to release this footage, the exact reason is unclear, but it's interesting to see multiple videos coming out at the same time when this sort of thing is usually very rare.

Also, if you think OSINT twitter has no value then you should probably read more of this thread. Accounts like these are a reliable way of finding out what content is coming from the front lines.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Feb 11, 2023

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
https://twitter.com/breakingcraft_/status/1623399308237086720?s=20&t=HzmrqhI4VD-Z0z7o1BV3Rg

Can anyone who speaks Russian check and find stories about Norwegian involvement that predate Hersh's story? I haven't seen it on English twitter before then.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Antigravitas posted:

I didn't mean to imply it was due to maintenance or anything.

I meant to laugh at the Luftwaffe and its procurement. (Lockheed scandal)
German defence policy for the last 75 yrs has been based on the (not too far fetched) assumption that an incompetent and useless German military is in the best interest of all its neighbours. Nobody in Germany could have predicted that at some point in the future the world would be happy to see German tanks rolling through Europe again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://twitter.com/breakingcraft_/status/1623399308237086720?s=20&t=HzmrqhI4VD-Z0z7o1BV3Rg

Can anyone who speaks Russian check and find stories about Norwegian involvement that predate Hersh's story? I haven't seen it on English twitter before then.

I don't think there was anything calling out Norway specifically, just the usual scattershot approach of blaming the West at large, and maybe America as the mastermind because they want more control over EU. Quick googling also doesn't bring up anything from major Russian news sites, but maybe there was some conspiracy theory making rounds in dark corners of telegram or some propaganda talk show guest could have said something like that in passing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I loving hate it when people use abbreviations or loving licence plate codes or whatever they are doing instead of writing the country names. Just loving write Russia, Ukraine and Germany(is that DE? again loving licence plates if so), it does not take much longer.

Also the German official didn't rule out Russia as a possibility, he said at the time they don't have any evidence that it was specifically Russia and that the investigation is ongoing. No doubt because he was specifically asked about Russia.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

BabyFur Denny posted:

German defence policy for the last 75 yrs has been based on the (not too far fetched) assumption that an incompetent and useless German military is in the best interest of all its neighbours. Nobody in Germany could have predicted that at some point in the future the world would be happy to see German tanks rolling through Europe again.

My understanding has always been that the West German and East German militaries of the cold War were very competent. My impression is that Germany's military ineptitude began with the end of the Cold War.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

BabyFur Denny posted:

Yeah, this is complete bullshit. The German military was - besides the US - one of the cornerstones of NATO in Europe from around 1960 until the end of the Cold War. It is after the end of the Cold War that larger discussions occurred as to what the mission of the German military should be.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

While I’m not sure that comparison is factually useful, Russia has, and has used already, land-based precision fires - Tornados, Tochkas, Iskanders, and so on. Ukraine is defending their homeland, and their logistics are therefore not really constrained to some set of roads that they’re confident in defending. They also don’t have enough ammunition to assemble huge frontline stockpiles, even if there was a need - the opening air strike of the invasion night did target all known ammo dumps already, e.g., here’s a February 24 blast in Cherkasy oblast’:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjDfds0WDA

HIMARs are not only being used on super high value targets like you identify (which agreed Russia is servicing to a degree with more expensive munitions), but also on hitting centers of radio communication, collections of arty and even individual tanks/arty. Russia expends hundreds of smerch rounds trying to hit something that a precision kit would mean they only need a truck load (water crossing) or maybe even only a few rockets (refueling mobile arty or a radio direction finding (DF) target). Organising one truck to point in the direction of interest while your drone does tough laps looking for a target is a lot quicker and easier than organising a battery to aim accurately, fire and retreat in a coordinated fashion.
The Ukrainian ability to hit point targets within minutes of identification (via counterbattery, SAR, satellite, DF, drones, human int) across the breadth of the front as well as its depth is a huge enabler and in fact a lot of the mission that the US has previously done by F16s. I wonder who has fired more precision weapons at this stage, Russia (the expensive long range stuff) or Ukraine (Himars, copperheads, etc)?

Budzilla posted:

HIMARS has a few other things going for it. First of all it doesn't require a support vehicle to reload its rockets. It does this with its own crane by loading a new "magazine" of rockets. This makes reloading the HIMARS complete in less than 5 minutes when compared to the Smerch that takes ~35 minutes. This is excellent since you can leave a magazine of rockets on a predetermined path for the HIMARS vehicle to pick up, fire and move to the next position without worrying if the support vehicle will be there.

When you have a thousand studbakers with a hydraulic ram and stabilising arms, it's easier just to drive them back to the rail head and load directly from the rail car. The rockets still need to be trucked to the front one way or another. ie rather than two delivery trucks and one launcher truck with a fancy crane, just have three launcher trucks.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

CSM posted:

It's clearly training footage. You shouldn't get your news from random Twitter accounts.

No way, I'm sure it's a standard combat tactic these days to pack up together like you were reenacting the 300.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Electric Wrigglies posted:

HIMARs are not only being used on super high value targets like you identify (which agreed Russia is servicing to a degree with more expensive munitions), but also on hitting centers of radio communication, collections of arty and even individual tanks/arty. Russia expends hundreds of smerch rounds trying to hit something that a precision kit would mean they only need a truck load (water crossing) or maybe even only a few rockets (refueling mobile arty or a radio direction finding (DF) target). Organising one truck to point in the direction of interest while your drone does tough laps looking for a target is a lot quicker and easier than organising a battery to aim accurately, fire and retreat in a coordinated fashion.
The Ukrainian ability to hit point targets within minutes of identification (via counterbattery, SAR, satellite, DF, drones, human int) across the breadth of the front as well as its depth is a huge enabler and in fact a lot of the mission that the US has previously done by F16s. I wonder who has fired more precision weapons at this stage, Russia (the expensive long range stuff) or Ukraine (Himars, copperheads, etc)?

I’m not sure how this is supposed to reply to my post which tried to point out the Tornado-S shaped plot hole in your earlier post. Not to even comment on me recently posting video evidence of Tornado-S guided missiles being deployed in Ukraine.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

I loving hate it when people use abbreviations or loving licence plate codes or whatever they are doing instead of writing the country names. Just loving write Russia, Ukraine and Germany(is that DE? again loving licence plates if so), it does not take much longer.

Also the German official didn't rule out Russia as a possibility, he said at the time they don't have any evidence that it was specifically Russia and that the investigation is ongoing. No doubt because he was specifically asked about Russia.

Wait, did a german first accuse the perfidious USA and Norway of doing it? I've heard it as a Seymour Hersh piece the past few days. https://www.latribune.fr/economie/i...t-2-951150.html

using a french source to confirm that that's not just the US assuming everything happens by and for the US

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m not sure how this is supposed to reply to my post which tried to point out the Tornado-S shaped plot hole in your earlier post. Not to even comment on me recently posting video evidence of Tornado-S guided missiles being deployed in Ukraine.

I can't watch videos due to site filtering so that's my defense there but I got no defense for realising I didn't know what at Tornado but assuming it was another larger missile and not literally a 300 mm rocket with a guidance kit!

Assume - makes an rear end of u and me!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait, did a german first accuse the perfidious USA and Norway of doing it?

No, a German official made a statement a while back that at the moment, they had no evidence for Russian culpability and that the investigation was still ongoing. This seems to have been taken to mean that that there is evidence that Russia did not do it.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wait, did a german first accuse the perfidious USA and Norway of doing it? I've heard it as a Seymour Hersh piece the past few days.

No, but I saw a tweet that claimed some Russian sources implicated Norway before the Hersh piece, that was why I was asking.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

So I saw this video on reddit originally:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulJawin/status/1624099400237690905

And I thought what was interesting about this is that the burn in graphics are still in the video. Granted, all of it could have been added after the fact, but the speed display at least looks fairly accurate so I'm assuming it isn't.

In particular, the bottom display looks like a Foxeer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMcmpYRAI6E

So if the camera has been on for only 4ish minutes, they're launching attacks from fairly close, like 5km range? So probably from right at the edge of the border? Feels fairly rare to see video without that stuff removed.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Torrannor posted:

You've zeroed in onto the hard question. Are these systems more difficult to maintain than similar American weapon systems, or is their sorry state a result of general European under-spending on defense in the last two or three decades?

There are fundamental design philosophy differences between European (especially German) and American designed heavy machinery. I don’t see tanks but in things like large slow speed diesels or medium speed diesels paired up to a reduction gear (for ships) the urgency / criticalness of preventative maintenance is much higher in euro made engines.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Randarkman posted:

No, a German official made a statement a while back that at the moment, they had no evidence for Russian culpability and that the investigation was still ongoing. This seems to have been taken to mean that that there is evidence that Russia did not do it.

the statement was even weaker than that, 'no conclusive evidence russia behind nord stream attack' is how it was initially reported, which Russia promptly started promoting as 'EU claims no evidence Russia is behind nord stream attack' which then got blasted through the russian messaging apparatus

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Bar Ran Dun posted:

There are fundamental design philosophy differences between European (especially German) and American designed heavy machinery. I don’t see tanks but in things like large slow speed diesels or medium speed diesels paired up to a reduction gear (for ships) the urgency / criticalness of preventative maintenance is much higher in euro made engines.

I think one can abuse the poo poo out of the slow speeds with a few exceptions, fuel permitting. There aren't any American ones anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Antigravitas posted:

but that's just the Luftwaffe and its funny relation to aircraft. (See also: F-104)

Actually, I have to quote Wikipedia on this, because of how insane it is:

If you can stand the Well There's Your Problem podcast, they just did a bonus video on the F-104. It's the development history, and service career with every air force it flew for. The accident rate is eye-watering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQjlo0B3y4

Their most recent video is on the massively incompetent and corrupt construction of the new Berlin airport.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

mllaneza posted:

If you can stand the Well There's Your Problem podcast, they just did a bonus video on the F-104. It's the development history, and service career with every air force it flew for. The accident rate is eye-watering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQjlo0B3y4

Their most recent video is on the massively incompetent and corrupt construction of the new Berlin airport.

I lived around and even worked at a Canadian Air Base that used to house those, and had family that was posted there back in the 80's.

The nickname for that plane amongst the base personnel was "The Lawn Dart".

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

slurm posted:

I think one can abuse the poo poo out of the slow speeds with a few exceptions, fuel permitting. There aren't any American ones anyway.

In general yes and yes I have very old plants in my head, and there aren’t any new American ones . I’m also thinking about American vs euro DG sets too.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Mederlock posted:

I lived around and even worked at a Canadian Air Base that used to house those, and had family that was posted there back in the 80's.

That's funny, because another unflattering nickname they were known by in Germany was 'Erdnagel', which literally translates to 'earth nail' and is basically a large peg used to secure outdoor furniture onto the ground.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Bar Ran Dun posted:

In general yes and yes I have very old plants in my head, and there aren’t any new American ones . I’m also thinking about American vs euro DG sets too.

The only large slow speeds built in the US that I can recall off the top of my head are the C-9s. Those things are strange in so many ways. To your point there are certainly some big-ticket item on the Flexes which love to let go suddenly and ruinously if not replaced promptly at the proper (long) interval and it took quite a bit of work to get the nature of these maintenances across to the American operators. Who needed that "camshaft bearing" anyway, a million pieces is as good as one piece, maybe better!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Yeah, that keeps happening when you design a very capable high-speed high-altitude interceptor, and then decide to use it as a low-speed low-altitude ground-attack aircraft.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Der Kyhe posted:

Yeah, that keeps happening when you design a very capable high-speed high-altitude interceptor, and then decide to use it as a low-speed low-altitude ground-attack aircraft.

To be fair the thing was dangerous even in its intended role. The landing procedure was particularly tricky and improper deployment of flaps at 200kt and 1500 ft AGL could cause the plane to irrecoverably roll. Throughout the landing procedure the 104 was in a very narrow envelope between stalling and coming in too hot. Bleeding edge performance has trade offs.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Whats more, the F-104 used blown flaps, where high pressure bleed air from the engine compressor is blown over the trailing-edge flaps to enhance their effectiveness. This also means that you have to carry quite a lot of power all the way to touchdown to keep the BLCS functioning. Pull too much power out because you’re a little high? You suddenly have the glide ratio of a brick.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

An article in Finnish, and I apologize, but it seems Russia is doing the same poo poo the Nazis did when it came to "Aryanizing" children by kidnapping them and placing them in "proper" Russian homes.

Translated by robot posted:

Russia has abducted an estimated several thousand Ukrainian children from the territories it has occupied and given the children to Russian families. The systematic operation is led by the presidential administration of Vladimir Putin. Forced transfers from occupied territories are war crimes and flagrantly violate children's rights.
[...]
According to Marija Lvova-Belova, children are not actually adopted but are permanently placed in families. Russian propaganda sources still often talk about adoption. The exact number of children abducted by Russia is not known. According to the OSCE, Russia had already taken more than 2,000 children by the end of June. The Ukrainian authorities are aware of more than 16,000 children who have been forcibly transferred to Russia with their families or alone.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rappaport posted:

An article in Finnish, and I apologize, but it seems Russia is doing the same poo poo the Nazis did when it came to "Aryanizing" children by kidnapping them and placing them in "proper" Russian homes.

That doesn't seem like the same thing? It looks like the Nazis kidnapped children to make them into slaves and literal goddamn laboratory guinea pigs. The Russians kidnap children to raise them in their own culture.

I mean, poo poo's hosed up, but what Russia is doing is more on the scale of like, Canadian crimes against indigenous Canadians in the 20th century. Cultural genocide is pretty bad! Literally murdering and enslaving millions of children is a lot, lot worse! Not everything has to be hyperbolized to the extreme. Russia is lovely but Putin is not Hitler or Genghis Khan. He's a run of the mill jackass like Mussolini or Pinochet.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Saladman posted:

That doesn't seem like the same thing? It looks like the Nazis kidnapped children to make them into slaves and literal goddamn laboratory guinea pigs. The Russians kidnap children to raise them in their own culture.

What a delightful way of propagandizing this to Russia's benefit. It was, after all, the Aryanization of the Polish children that the Nazis were concerned with, and raising children in a proper, Russian way, well that is different because Russia is defending Christendom against the homonazis of the West. It all makes sense, thank you!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Saladman posted:

No.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lebensborn

quote:

Initially set up in Germany in 1935, Lebensborn expanded into several occupied European countries with Germanic populations during the Second World War. It included the selection of "racially worthy" orphans for adoption and care for children born from Aryan women who had been in relationships with SS members. It originally excluded children born from unions between common soldiers and foreign women, because there was no proof of 'racial purity' on both sides. During the war, many children were kidnapped from their parents and judged by Aryan criteria for their suitability to be raised in Lebensborn homes, and fostered by German families.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

source: https://sentinelshare.page.link/v662

Artillery fire around Vuhledar is looking quite intense, but (more like “and thus”) Russians don't seem to have managed to re-enter the outskirts so far.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
New Perun. Drones, drones, drones:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlpZf1hpQYM

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rappaport posted:

What a delightful way of propagandizing this to Russia's benefit. It was, after all, the Aryanization of the Polish children that the Nazis were concerned with

Did you actually read the link in your post? It doesn't say the Nazis were trying to raise Polish children to be good Aryans. Like here:

"These racial exams determined the fate of children: whether they would be killed, or sent to concentration camps, or experience other consequences."

Yeah, I don't think the Russians are putting children in murder camps or in prison camps. Things can be bad without them being literally the worst thing humanity has ever done in an organized fashion.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Saladman posted:

Did you actually read the link in your post? It doesn't say the Nazis were trying to raise Polish children to be good Aryans. Like here:

"These racial exams determined the fate of children: whether they would be killed, or sent to concentration camps, or experience other consequences."

Yeah, I don't think the Russians are putting children in murder camps or in prison camps. Things can be bad without them being literally the worst thing humanity has ever done in an organized fashion.

You should really do that yourself. like the article specifically goes into the details of Germans kidnapping children to Germanize them, just like Russia is doing now.
And you can read more about it here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kidnapping_of_children_by_Nazi_Germany

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Famously when the Germans razed Lidice in revenge for the Heydrich assassination, they killed the men, sent the women to concentration camps, and "sorted" the children for extermination / aryanization. It's not some obscure practice, it was widespread and well documented.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Saladman posted:

Here, let me help your reading comprehension:

quote:

Initially set up in Germany in 1935, Lebensborn expanded into several occupied European countries with Germanic populations during the Second World War. It included the selection of "racially worthy" orphans for adoption and care for children born from Aryan women who had been in relationships with SS members. It originally excluded children born from unions between common soldiers and foreign women, because there was no proof of 'racial purity' on both sides. During the war, many children were kidnapped from their parents and judged by Aryan criteria for their suitability to be raised in Lebensborn homes, and fostered by German families.

It's an absolute fact that Germans kidnapped "Aryan-looking" children from Polish, Russian etc. families and shipped them off to be raised by German families in the name of rescuing their "racial heritage." Hell, the Helenówek facility kidnapped Aryan-looking Polish men and women and forced them to have sexual intercourse with German women aged 15-18 or select German men (usually SS officers). Women who became pregnant were then carted off to the Reich to give birth before the child was taken away. Lebensborn Ostland in Otwock was specifically outfitted with a school for the purpose of Germanising Polish children. In Połczyn-Zdrój, children were issued fake birth certificates and German documents, then intensely Germanised and punished for speaking Polish; the facility also accepted children from Ukraine.

Europe-wide, forced Germanisation in Lebensborn facilities affected, according to some estimates, up to 200 thousand children, most of whom were later immediately adopted by German foster parents. It's very well documented.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Saladman posted:

The Russians kidnap children to raise them in their own culture.

From the link you think people should be reading more carefully:

quote:

The extent of the program became clear to Allied forces over the course of months, as they found groups of "Germanized" children and became aware that many more were in the German population. Locating these children turned up their stories of forcible instruction in the German language and how the failures were killed.[33] Teams were constituted to search for the children, a particularly important point when dealing with institutions, where a single investigator could only interview a few children before all the rest were coached to provide false information. Many children had to be lured into speaking the truth; as for instance complimenting their German and asking how long they had spoken it, and only when told that a nine-year-old had spoken German for four years, pointing out that they must have spoken before then, whereupon the child could be brought to admit to having spoken Polish.[34] Some children suffered emotional trauma when they were removed from their adoptive German parents, often the only parents they remembered, and returned to their biological parents, when they no longer remembered Polish, only German. The older children generally remembered Poland; ones as young as ten had forgotten much, but could often be reminded by such things as Polish nursery rhymes; the youngest had no memories that could be recalled.[24]

Allied forces made efforts to repatriate them. However, many children, particularly Polish and Yugoslavian who were among the first taken, declared on being found that they were German. Russian and Ukrainian children, while not gotten to this stage, still had been taught to hate their native countries and did not want to return.[35] While many foster parents voluntarily brought forth well-cared-for children, other children proved to be abused or used for labour, and still others went to great efforts to hide the children.[36]

Edit:

Also I mean even if what you say is actually true, which it isn't, you're essentially proposing different degrees of genocide and arguing that "well cultural genocide is bad obviously but it's not AS bad as REAL genocide" which is its own separate can of worms.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 12, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Crazy casualties

https://mobile.twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1624662811744911361

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Saladman posted:

Putting aside the competition of "what is worse" this is such a bizarre discussion to start. It is not relevant whether they're only doing a 9/10 cultural genocide vs. a 10/10 realsy genocide.
The goal is to obliterate Ukraine and their culture, the specifics of how they're doing it do not matter in the least.

Nitpicking about how it's not actually as bad as this other thing is just weird and unnecessary.