Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/RnaudBertrand/status/1623313555901800448

lol Mark

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

“We will bring an end to it,” Biden said. “I promise you. We will be able to do it.”

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Tanks are really loving heavy.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
I like this exchange from episode 361:

Murphy: under existing laws, the CIA cannot work thru a proxy force and just sort of wash their hands clean of it... the CIA has to have some command and control over these elements. They can't just leave it to a third party and wash their hands of it.

Ames: really? that's interesting because they do that all the– or at least did that all the time. I don't knopw. Maybe they don't anymore. but, aren't they kinda famous for doing stuff like that? or no?

Murphy: it certainly has happened in the past and I think there is some caution about it

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Ya that guy, like all of their former troop guests, sucked rear end

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they really need to just have on more posters from the facebook group

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

he seemed to know the direct subject matter (special forces psychos and their crimes*) pretty well but he also said "moderate rebels" completely unironically.

*e: crimes at ft. hood not crimes on deployment

Clark Nova has issued a correction as of 00:13 on Feb 9, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Seth Harper was alright for a troop. Otherwise I think it's underappreciated how much editing they do to undouche some of their guests. Couldn't happen to Carl Zha

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i appreciate that they have various ideologically oriented people on

they had that lady (vlahos?) from the american conservative at one point. they had the igbo supremacist lady on. it wouldn't shock me if they got peter hitchens on the podcast at some point. i enjoy them being this eclectic

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

genericnick posted:

Seth Harper was alright for a troop.
slowly been watching him going down the JFK hole and has been posting Timothy McVeigh & OKC :thumbsup:

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

net work error posted:

Tanks are really loving heavy.

I did appreciate the comment that Challenger is so heavily armored because people who matter in the UK still send their kids to be armor officers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

i appreciate that they have various ideologically oriented people on

they had that lady (vlahos?) from the american conservative at one point. they had the igbo supremacist lady on. it wouldn't shock me if they got peter hitchens on the podcast at some point. i enjoy them being this eclectic

ehhhhhh

they didn't push back on the recent guest other than some "hrmm ok"s so i think some of the more niche guests can be harmful. if they won't turn an interview on its head because of nato or w/e i don't trust their editorial bent elsewhere. biafra guest is my prime example since it was clear they were leaning on her to provide info

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
good ep with ben aris but kinda laughing at his callousness of sanctions that if they had cut russia's gas and oil revenue there would be tumults, government would collapse, total chaos then they would make a deal

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Honest Thief posted:

good ep with ben aris but kinda laughing at his callousness of sanctions that if they had cut russia's gas and oil revenue there would be tumults, government would collapse, total chaos then they would make a deal

i remember my own mindset at the time. i remember being in favour of the economic warfare efforts specifically because i reckoned that the damage would be less than the damage of a continued war; i had been persuaded that the war could be ended by this effect, which would be short and painful but would almost certainly not end in a nuclear war.

idk if i stand by that reasoning now, but if that's the calculus it makes sense that you have to embrace this sort of callousness for a greater good of some kind. i certainly feel a little mad now that everyone's quietly dropped the actual objective of the sanctions; critical discussion seems to have completely evaporated.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

V. Illych L. posted:

i remember my own mindset at the time. i remember being in favour of the economic warfare efforts specifically because i reckoned that the damage would be less than the damage of a continued war; i had been persuaded that the war could be ended by this effect, which would be short and painful but would almost certainly not end in a nuclear war.

idk if i stand by that reasoning now, but if that's the calculus it makes sense that you have to embrace this sort of callousness for a greater good of some kind. i certainly feel a little mad now that everyone's quietly dropped the actual objective of the sanctions; critical discussion seems to have completely evaporated.

yeah i can sympathize with it a lot, because short of going on a all out war what else you do in the EU's position, esp after a early peace deal seems to have been blocked, which is something I thought Ben would reflect on but he just seems to gloss over

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I mean he had a speculative take that Boris Johnson was the primary mover who scotched them for domestic political purposes. Agree that he does seem pretty guarded in general, though, I get the sense that he wants to come on to say some specific things he feels confident about and puckers at the juicer questions.

edit: regarding Nord Stream sabotage, I was hoping he would speculate on the role of western petroleum companies who, very predictably, made out HUGE. Doesn't mean they leaned on anybody to make it happen, but they definitely have successfully leaned on governments/militaries for much lower stakes.

pangstrom has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Feb 12, 2023

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They should get Hersh on imo

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

the actual objective of sanctions is to punish countries that don't act servile enough towards the west, hth

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Cerebral Bore posted:

the actual objective of sanctions is to punish countries that don't act servile enough towards the west, hth

The ALAB episodes on sanctions were great

https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-7-the-modern-day-siege

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Honest Thief posted:

yeah i can sympathize with it a lot, because short of going on a all out war what else you do in the EU's position, esp after a early peace deal seems to have been blocked, which is something I thought Ben would reflect on but he just seems to gloss over

They could have told the uk and us to get hosed and take a third go at Minsk instead of being lil bitches

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

genericnick posted:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

genericnick posted:

They did

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

lol i just came to post that

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

they got hershed up

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

da hersh

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

genericnick posted:

a single anonymous source said they should get hersh on :tinfoil:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Honest Thief posted:

he seemed like he had lib tendencies yah

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

drat that was some high octane interviewing

a coup to get hersh and a coup to get hersh to talk about how he found and validated some of his sources

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Spime Wrangler posted:

drat that was some high octane interviewing

a coup to get hersh and a coup to get hersh to talk about how he found and validated some of his sources

and a coup to have hersh poo poo on bellingcat! you know mark and john got a huge kick out of that

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

genericnick posted:

:vince:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i say swears online posted:

ehhhhhh

they didn't push back on the recent guest other than some "hrmm ok"s so i think some of the more niche guests can be harmful. if they won't turn an interview on its head because of nato or w/e i don't trust their editorial bent elsewhere. biafra guest is my prime example since it was clear they were leaning on her to provide info

have they really pushed back on anyone though? doesn't seem like their style really. the worst was when they had some professor on who was basically lecturing them and mark was just getting more and more annoyed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

hersh seems like an extremely intense guy, is my main take-away from that interview

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
what an absolute ball buster lmao

5/5 interview

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

genericnick posted:

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
imo change the title so people know they're interviewing hersh

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Mark sheepishly walking back initial claims of the russian invasion and non-stop apologizing about how wrong he was, then he overcorrects and believes every single pro-ukraine/anti-russia narrative to be shat out by the media including believing the russians bombing their own pipeline and now Sy Hersh comes around drops a bombshell

lol dude can't catch a break and his confidence must be in shambles by now

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

Mark sheepishly walking back initial claims of the russian invasion and non-stop apologizing about how wrong he was, then he overcorrects and believes every single pro-ukraine/anti-russia narrative to be shat out by the media including believing the russians bombing their own pipeline and now Sy Hersh comes around drops a bombshell

lol dude can't catch a break and his confidence must be in shambles by now

Not really. He gave good reasons why he thought Russia benefited most and was open to other viewpoints and never dug his heels in about his opinions

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

paul_soccer12 posted:

Not really. He gave good reasons why he thought Russia benefited most and was open to other viewpoints and never dug his heels in about his opinions

that's what i mean, he feels like he needs to start giving natsec/pro-nato narratives a consideration no matter how absurd they are because he got burned and embarrassed the one time so his opinion is always wavering now

not really an indictment of Mark or anything just a really funny observation

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
You can really see why other American journalists don’t like Hersh.

That interview was a breath of fresh air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah Mark gave like the strongest "gun to my head" disclaimer. I thought he was wrong at the time but anyone can get in the weeds sometimes and he was admitting in real time he was in the weeds.

Echoing that Sy Hersh is triple threat cantankerous, like rubber first meeting the road cantankerous, lapping second place cantankerous, and drifting through the final corner on your rims cantankerous.