Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Saladman posted:

That doesn't seem like the same thing? It looks like the Nazis kidnapped children to make them into slaves and literal goddamn laboratory guinea pigs. The Russians kidnap children to raise them in their own culture.

I mean, poo poo's hosed up, but what Russia is doing is more on the scale of like, Canadian crimes against indigenous Canadians in the 20th century. Cultural genocide is pretty bad! Literally murdering and enslaving millions of children is a lot, lot worse! Not everything has to be hyperbolized to the extreme. Russia is lovely but Putin is not Hitler or Genghis Khan. He's a run of the mill jackass like Mussolini or Pinochet.

There have been mass child graves found at residential schools across NA, and the school program lasted for more than a century. This is a really gross post, please don't compare genocides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Karma Comedian posted:

There have been mass child graves found at residential schools across NA, and the school program lasted for more than a century. This is a really gross post, please don't compare genocides.

Maybe not "rank them", but I don't see why you should categorically never compare genocides, there is something to be said for looking at historical examples and seeing how different two or more genocides can be while at the same time all being genocides, that something can be a genocide or genocidal even if it doesn't look 100% like the holocaust.

e: There might also be some atrocities that don't necessarily fit the box of genocide fully without issue, but where the sufffering of those affected was no less than if it were a genocide and the conduct of those responsible was no less deliberate or criminal.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Feb 12, 2023

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

I see value in comparing genocides to point out that this is very serious and needs attention, like a previous well known genocide.

Not so much in pointing out that the jackboots aren't the same shade of brown leather, so actually it's not the same at all & what about this other genocide that might have been worse! Which only serve to normalize and dampen the response to the benefit of fascists.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Maybe not "rank them", but I don't see why you should categorically never compare genocides,
Pretend I said "rank" then. In other words:

Warbadger posted:

I see value in comparing genocides to point out that this is very serious and needs attention, like a previous well known genocide.

Not so much in pointing out that the jackboots aren't the same shade of brown leather, so actually it's not the same at all & what about this other genocide that might have been worse! Which only serve to normalize and dampen the response to the benefit of fascists.

For content, this article:

https://www.ipsnews.net/2023/02/new-approach-to-atrocities-needed-say-ukraine-war-crimes-investigators/?utm_source=rss

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 12, 2023

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
With the rise of small drones dropping grenades, is there the possibility of small man-portable radars or similar to detect those drones at an infantry squad level? Or is that kind of tech too hard to miniaturize?

I know there are handheld anti-drone weapons, but if you don't know the drone is there that might not help you, and usually in these videos the people being dropped on seem unaware.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cicero posted:

With the rise of small drones dropping grenades, is there the possibility of small man-portable radars or similar to detect those drones at an infantry squad level? Or is that kind of tech too hard to miniaturize?

I know there are handheld anti-drone weapons, but if you don't know the drone is there that might not help you, and usually in these videos the people being dropped on seem unaware.

There's reports of anti-drone EW, with Russians going as far as attaching strings to drones to keep them from getting spoofed by the Ukrainians and flying off. Also, the Russians have deploying squad-level jammers in static positions that deauthenticate command signals to drop Ukrainian quadrotors, but don't know how common they are.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cicero posted:

Dunno, there may be some problems to solve first. Can you miniaturize a radar? To detect small objects it seems like you need a very effective receiver dish. Size and weight are one issue but you could put it on a truck and solve the energy needs too. A bigger problem is that if your enemy has any signal intelligence then they will detect the source of those radar emissions and send their greetings.

A more viable solution might be a camera connected to an AI trained to recognise drones from birds etc. Lidar would also work, but anything that actively emits light etc. can be detected easily.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I would assume the easiest way you can detect a drone by looking for flying sources of radio emissions.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Nenonen posted:

Dunno, there may be some problems to solve first. Can you miniaturize a radar? To detect small objects it seems like you need a very effective receiver dish. Size and weight are one issue but you could put it on a truck and solve the energy needs too. A bigger problem is that if your enemy has any signal intelligence then they will detect the source of those radar emissions and send their greetings.

A more viable solution might be a camera connected to an AI trained to recognise drones from birds etc. Lidar would also work, but anything that actively emits light etc. can be detected easily.

Infrared cameras paired with software to recognize things that might be drones (IRST) seems to be a common approach. Which makes sense - the sky is a pretty "cold" backdrop for an infrared camera and drones using any means of powered flight must generate heat so they stick out against the sky. Infrared cameras don't emit anything to warn the target they're being tracked or give away the observer's location and you could easily pair the camera with a laser rangefinder to provide the missing set of data required to accurately target something. This approach would work a lot less well against low flying drones, of course, where obstructions and background emissions become a bigger problem.

The downside here for man-portable stuff is likely to be energy storage, so while you could have a pretty reasonably sized set of cameras and a small computer to do the work you're gonna need to lug around batteries to keep the thing on for useful amounts of time. Which you seem to solve by sticking it on vehicles where battery weight stops being an issue, you have a means to recharge the battery is readily available, and you can pair it with a weapon capable of doing something about the drone.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 12, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Young Freud posted:

There's reports of anti-drone EW, with Russians going as far as attaching strings to drones to keep them from getting spoofed by the Ukrainians and flying off. Also, the Russians have deploying squad-level jammers in static positions that deauthenticate command signals to drop Ukrainian quadrotors, but don't know how common they are.

The jammers are part of a new kit with a man-portable radar, according to some claims going around. If it all checks out, the radar is less man-portable than a Javelin, but still man-portable enough, for certain volumes of porridge consumed as an adolescent.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Do those of you following this more closely than I have an idea why Russian casualties are rising so much?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Young Freud posted:

There's reports of anti-drone EW, with Russians going as far as attaching strings to drones to keep them from getting spoofed by the Ukrainians and flying off.

Sorry what do you mean by this?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Daduzi posted:

Do those of you following this more closely than I have an idea why Russian casualties are rising so much?

They're running out of armor and resorting to unsupported infantry assaults.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Daduzi posted:

"The uptick in Russian casualties is likely due to a range of factors including a lack of trained personnel, coordination and resources across the front - this is exemplified in Vuhledar and Bakhmut."

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Daduzi posted:

The battles for Bakhmut / Vuhledar have been going on for months with increasing intensity. This week has seen another intensification, supposedly the start of a concerned offensive operation that should be the culmination of Russian winter efforts. Additionally the Russians are sacrificing rookies to protect veteran troops and to exhaust the Ukrainians, while also making lots of the same tactical mistakes they've been known for since the beginning. It's not true is just because they are running out of equipment either, just in the past days they lost several major armoured elements.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 12, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Daduzi posted:

While these numbers from sourced form UAF, whatever the accurate statistics over time are numerically should have the same shape curve, as it readily follows out of the abridged chronology so far.

February 24: RuAF drive into a freezing mud pool while wearing parade uniforms, and are forced to discover that the Art of War was actually written for them.
Summer: The outright ridiculous excess of Putin’s ambition falls off, meaning that while battle lines become more manageable, but also they’ve lost a lot people.
Autumn: UAF takes initiative while RuAF plays for time, mobilising new troops and rejuvenating Soviet equipment stocks.
Winter: Plans and circumstances overlap for RuAF to try seizing the initiative back.

So yeah, from everything it follows that losses were really high in the first month, and are now returning to that level. Its whereabouts in any case - Russian army is smarter and bigger now, but has lower quality staffing and equipment than they did a year ago, and their veteran units are tired. Ukrainians, meantime, are starving on resources, but the battle lines are much more entrenched now, and they have both rested veterans and NATO-trained new soldiers, sometimes rocking fancy gear.

Russia still has unquestionable numerical advantage in the air and on the sea, as Ukraine has barely any navy or air forces (especially navy lol :rip:), but Ukraine has enough stand-off weaponry that the only way Russians can use ships or planes today is by firing cruise missiles at Ukraine from 300+ km away from its free territory. This is to say that any intensification of combat - and everyone agrees that Russia has kicked off a new operation within the last couple of days - would see casualties climb up very quickly, because this war is much closer to WWI than any other war.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Additionally the Russians are sacrificing rookies to protect veteran troops and to exhaust the Ukrainians, while also making lots of the same tactical mistakes they've been known for since the beginning. It's not true is just because they are running out of equipment either, just in the past days they lost several major armoured elements.

This really is just Wagner disposing of prisoners, and the “LDNR” bandits getting some mobilised soldiers to to try to fix like 50% casualty rates. So far, as a trend, Russians have been running their professional units into the ground, and the only big formation that I can remember being rotated out is the 1st GTA, the tank army that was supposed to kill NATO and notably failed to take a medium-sized Ukrainian town.

Rinkles posted:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Anecdotally, they seem to be cranking quite a bit of new stuff these days, particularly in the areas of drones and anti-drone EW, e.g., here's some Russian soldier helpfully posting to Facebook vids of his unit operating a bunch of bespoke, man-portable gear, including a tracking radar that keeps tracking through jammer fire. https://censor.net/ru/video_news/3397796/voyiska_rf_nachali_primenyat_protiv_ukrainskih_dronov_novye_sredstva_reb_videofotoreportaj

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

evilweasel posted:

I would assume the easiest way you can detect a drone by looking for flying sources of radio emissions.

So would I. I would also suppose the probable counter is eventually going to be anti-drone drones launched when a signal is detected. It would be able to cover larger areas than radar connected AA and would presumably be cheaper than missiles. Probably some years away though.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This war is much closer to WWI than any other war.
I think the better comparison might be the 1980s Iran Iraq War. High-tech peer capabilities nullifying each other, trenches, artillery, human wave attacks, very high casualties, even the drone and cruise missile campaigns against infrastructure which are reminiscent of the War Of The Cities. All that's missing is the poison gas.

My fear is that the current war will go down the same path - a stalemated quagmire that turns into a meatgrinder that drags on for a decade and immiserates everyone involved. Ugh.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Rinkles posted:

Mobilized russians are badly equipped and often have to resort to commercial drones donated by their families and volunteers. There are reports that Ukranians hijack them midflight, so russians tried to attach fishing lines to pull them back manually in order not to lose the drone.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit
Are there good agents for removing birds from a wide area of terrain to aid in discrimination between drones and non-drones? Some kind of birdicide or bird repellent you can spray from artillery or airplanes? Not saying this is ethical but I wonder if it could be necessary.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Sekenr posted:

Mobilized russians are badly equipped and often have to resort to commercial drones donated by their families and volunteers. There are reports that Ukranians hijack them midflight, so russians tried to attach fishing lines to pull them back manually in order not to lose the drone.

Wait, WHAT :stare:

I thought that post was referencing to some sort of wire-guided system to thwart radio signal interference, not... just an actual fishing line.
On second thought, I probably should have known better than to assume even the most basic of military common sense from Russia.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

slurm posted:

Are there good agents for removing birds from a wide area of terrain to aid in discrimination between drones and non-drones? Some kind of birdicide or bird repellent you can spray from artillery or airplanes? Not saying this is ethical but I wonder if it could be necessary.

It's less not ethical and more inviting environmental catastrophe

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

slurm posted:

anything that's acutely toxic to birds would probably also be acutely harmful to humans and deploying them by artillery or air would be a violation of chemical weapons treaties

agent orange was controversial for the human impacts caused by it's use, and the metabolic and nervous pathways of birds are way more similar to mammals than plants

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Telsa Cola posted:

It's less not ethical and more inviting environmental catastrophe

If Bakhmut is the face of modern war I guess we're back to it just leaving huge moonscapes that are just poisoned forever, like WW1 anyway. I'm sure there's a software rather than chemical solution to the bird discrimination, though.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The techno-dystopia vision is just targeting any flying object without valid IFF with a laser effector. It's not a far-fetched vision of the future either, since camouflaging drones as birds is an obvious step to take.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

FMguru posted:

I think the better comparison might be the 1980s Iran Iraq War. High-tech peer capabilities nullifying each other, trenches, artillery, human wave attacks, very high casualties, even the drone and cruise missile campaigns against infrastructure which are reminiscent of the War Of The Cities. All that's missing is the poison gas.

For what it's worth, I see where you're coming from on that one. I know we shouldn't compare too closely and some cracks show up (I don't think Russia's going to have a crisis of a counter invasion like both sides had in Iran-Iraq), but I see it from what little I've read about that war.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Bird people will start catching birds to put IFF bands on their legs.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

agent orange was controversial for the human impacts caused by it's use, and the metabolic and nervous pathways of birds are way more similar to mammals than plants

OT, but the active ingredients of Agent Orange were more or less safe for humans.

The problem was that when the production of the defoliant was scaled up to much higher quantities than ever before, quality control fell off a cliff, and if temperature control wasn't good, some sideproducts were made that were really poisonous to people in a persistent and really nasty way.

This is also both why it's use was originally okayed, and why getting even basic compensation to veteran victims was so hard. The DoD had good documentation from the FDA that the stuff was safe. When people started claiming issues, eventually the DoD had some (newly manufactured) amount of it re-tested, and could show again that it was safe. It took a pretty huge odyssey to prove that the poo poo that was actually sprayed on jungle (and people) during the war was not to spec, an in fact contained up to something like 50ppm of TCDD, which is a super dangerous long-lasting carcinogenic.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Some jet fighters just blew up some kinda spy drone near the Canadian border. Air space is closed over Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Gniwu posted:

Wait, WHAT :stare:

I thought that post was referencing to some sort of wire-guided system to thwart radio signal interference, not... just an actual fishing line.
On second thought, I probably should have known better than to assume even the most basic of military common sense from Russia.

I'd call that very good common sense. Problem: the homonazis are taking control of our drones. Solution A: hardened communications. B: a physical tether. A will take time and money to implement, B you can implement on the spot with stuff you have lying around.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Sergg posted:

Some jet fighters just blew up some kinda spy drone near the Canadian border. Air space is closed over Lake Michigan and Lake Huron.

Something got shot down over Lake Huron by American F-16s about 6 minutes ago.

Edit

Apparently another 'cylindrical' object NORAD is now saying this one was an "octagon with strings"; and I have to say as a government employee, I love that someone literally had to comment in their official capacity as a government employee, that there is no evidence it's extraterrestrial in origin.

Literally made my day.

Edit

I feel like someone just spent $100,000+ shooting down a bunch of birthday party balloons.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 12, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Are these losses deaths (ie actual casualties including wounded would be approaching 500% this) or all-in casualties (deaths & wounded)?

If its the former Russia will be blowing through the mobiks within a few months.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Electric Wrigglies posted:

When you have a thousand studbakers with a hydraulic ram and stabilising arms, it's easier just to drive them back to the rail head and load directly from the rail car. The rockets still need to be trucked to the front one way or another. ie rather than two delivery trucks and one launcher truck with a fancy crane, just have three launcher trucks.

This discounts the very real advantages of mechanized logistics. Presenting fewer targets, responsiveness, and sustained rate of fire are significant advantages. One of the things this war is demonstrating is the vulnerability of logistics when the battle space is 50km deep. Having fewer targets because your logistics tail is shorter because

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This really is just Wagner disposing of prisoners, and the “LDNR” bandits getting some mobilised soldiers to to try to fix like 50% casualty rates. So far, as a trend, Russians have been running their professional units into the ground, and the only big formation that I can remember being rotated out is the 1st GTA, the tank army that was supposed to kill NATO and notably failed to take a medium-sized Ukrainian town.

Listening to Michael Koffman just mock 1st GTA has been very funny. He does it so professionally, but sometimes he slips and his tone of voice just becomes abject scorn.

Antigravitas posted:

The techno-dystopia vision is just targeting any flying object without valid IFF with a laser effector. It's not a far-fetched vision of the future either, since camouflaging drones as birds is an obvious step to take.

It's even in a recent recruitment ad for the US Marines! :science:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

slurm posted:

There's never been any need for stuff like that before, I don't think. Giant plantations can't use chemical solutions, since that would risk poisoning consumers or the plants, and airports obviously are a no-go in that department (aside from massive human traffic that would be at risk there's also the matter of air traffic stopping deployment). The closest there is, I think, is spraying scents that repel birds, which is clearly a non-viable solution in a combat zone.

In short, it's probably more worthwhile to train birds to attack drones than try to clear the air and shoot everything on sight.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ZombieLenin posted:

Something got shot down over Lake Huron by American F-16s about 6 minutes ago.

Edit

Apparently another 'cylindrical' object NORAD is now saying this one was an "octagon with strings"; and I have to say as a government employee, I love that someone literally had to comment in their official capacity as a government employee, that there is no evidence it's extraterrestrial in origin.

Literally made my day.

Edit

I feel like someone just spent $100,000+ shooting down a bunch of birthday party balloons.

There's almost certainly footage of each of these objects from each of the planes since they do fly bys to see what the gently caress. Said footage probably wont be released for awhile though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Cicero posted:

Some Wagner source claims that they have a portable anti-drone wunderwaffe "made up by a talented recruited nerd", but is probably just this, called Repeynik https://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9D%D0%A0%D0%9B%D0%A1_%C2%AB%D0%A0%D0%B5%D0%BF%D0%B5%D0%B9%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%BA%C2%BB

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1623568294199402497

https://twitter.com/666_mancer/status/1624396772591247362

considering it was filmed by a drone, maybe not the most effective measure

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Daduzi posted:

I would guess that Russia is tossing huge numbers of mobiks into the meat grinder at a substantially elevated pace in the last month or so

1. To try and capture a town to give Putin something to crow about in time for the one year anniversary of Z day

2. To secure any gains possible ahead of the influx of armored vehicles from the West taking the field

3. Perhaps to secure gains ahead of the worst part of mud season?

etc.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008

Blut posted:

Are these losses deaths (ie actual casualties including wounded would be approaching 500% this) or all-in casualties (deaths & wounded)?

If its the former Russia will be blowing through the mobiks within a few months.

Don't waste your precious time reading/believing those pretentious war reports: they are just war propaganda, fake data cooked by the M.I. 6 just to keep foolin' uckrainian population to sacrifice their country/citizens for the U.S./U.K. interests.
Those are the same U.K. agencies who said, around march/april of 2022, that Russia would have ended their war ammunitions in a matter of few days . :laugh:
I still don't understand why the british are soooo mad at the russians that they would start world war 3 without esitations if they were in charge (Sleepy Joe doesn't agree).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FEMA summer camp
Jan 22, 2006

Ha!

Wow

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)