Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Comic book nerds aren't going anywhere and if people are still playing the original X-Com UFO Defense to this day, I don't think this game is going anywhere soon either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm probably biased because I'm in that group, but I have to wonder if part of the problem is the lack of cross-gen support at launch. Do people who buy these 500 dollar machines really do so with the intention of playing Firaxis games on em? I have doubts

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I mean, I might pick it up if or when it comes to GOG, during a sale, but only because people keep insisting it's actually good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Anecdotal, but the store I work in got and sold around 200 PS5s since Midnight Suns came out. Those were mostly the God of War 5 bundle. People who are new next-gen owners immediately got in with a huge game for their backlog, so I can see it overshadowing a tactical card rpg.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

catlord posted:

I mean, I might pick it up if or when it comes to GOG, during a sale, but only because people keep insisting it's actually good.

The game rules and you should buy it

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Midnight Suns just didn’t look very appealing. It’s a really good game, but I was worried I might regret buying it up until I actually started playing it. I took a chance on Magik, and she didn’t let me down.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I want to play it but the full version is $120 here and I don’t want to play it that much

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was interested in midnight sons but the presence of microtransactions made it an instant no for me. I have problems with compulsive spending and since midnight sons looks like a fun game the chance I'd put myself in a financial hole was too high.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They're literally just cosmetics (a finite amount at that) and I think if you buy the season pass you just get everything, but I also understand if that's still too much of a problem for you

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

the lack of cross-gen support at launch.

Does that mean that PS4 version is possible down the line? I’m not ready to buy a ps5 right now

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The last gen versions haven't officially been canceled but also don't have release dates.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nyeehg posted:

I was interested in midnight sons but the presence of microtransactions made it an instant no for me. I have problems with compulsive spending and since midnight sons looks like a fun game the chance I'd put myself in a financial hole was too high.

Yeah it think it's a total of three costumes or something? Your character has a bunch of costumes you unlock through play and in game currency that's easy to earn and you can mix and match parts. Every other character has three or four other costumes they can wear too, plus all those costumes have color schemes. I can't even remember seeing an in game option to purchase stuff with real money, aside from the DLC.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the only microtransactions are a bunch of really bad costumes no one would buy

seriously they're bafflingly Not Good

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Blockhouse posted:

I like Nico's, not enough to buy it, but I like it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

That Cap one is really bad

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cap’s alternate costumes suck so bad. He’s the one character I leave as is.

Symbiote Spider-Man and X-Force Wolverine were the only ones I really cared about.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blockhouse posted:

Oh I know they're poo poo. However Im the type of person that gets into the collectable aspect of games and would buy them to complete a set, then feel like poo poo for doing that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Carol's costume is okay. It also gave us some better hair for her and I think there's mods to put in her normal look.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Suicide squad is going to be so bad.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Mr Hootington posted:

Suicide squad is going to be so bad.

HOOT, you should play Midnight Suns

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
No. you should play fortnite

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Nyeehg posted:

Oh I know they're poo poo. However Im the type of person that gets into the collectable aspect of games and would buy them to complete a set, then feel like poo poo for doing that.

I’m the same way so I get it. I hate feeling like there’s content to a game I like that I don’t own. So I tend to buy everything.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

No. you should play fortnite

real talk, a killer lineup of comics skins. there shouldn't be batman ones though out of principle

edit: I want Suicide Squad to be good but I know in my heart I'll be disappointed--that's okay, I'll still keep playing that garbage

Scuba Trooper fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 15, 2023

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Fortnite is just fun. I'll hop on for a few hours every other month. It really earns its spot as the infinite money game, and I get to shoot captain america and spider-man as Goku.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/midnightsuns/status/1625540374717681666

This looks pretty interesting.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Apparently Midnight Suns is having a free weekend. Maybe I'll load up Steam to try it.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I tried out said free weekend, and I have to admit, game is good. I'll probably buy it, but I can't deny that a big part of that is that it's also on sale. Not sure I'd be as hot on it if it was full MSRP.

The battles are fun in spite of the card system (would still have preferred hotbars or something) and the Firaxis managed to successfully convert X-Com's management elements into a Persona-y "Your personal life ends up being fuel for your combat missions" without much trouble

My problems are less problems and more that it under-delivers in certain areas. It's kinda frumpy in terms of vibes. Art style isn't all that great, writing is tolerable to decent without ever going full on good, and it can feel a bit meandery at times. But the bad parts are only shurg-worthy, and the good parts are good enough to keep me coming back.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I did try the free weekend, and I will note that my computer is definitely starting to creak so that was kinda miserable. But didn't love it, not gonna pick it up if/when it shows up on GOG. Hated the combat, which really dampened enthusiasm for the rest which was... adequate, though like I said I found it hard to get enthused about. Some of the dialogue options weren't quite what I expected, I very much did not intend to tell Nico that she was nothing without the staff? Sorry Nico, I never read Runaways but you seem cool. Glad to be with the EMO KIDS.

I wouldn't be surprised it it doesn't have the long tail of an XCOM game, it doesn't really have the same sense of organic story generation that makes XCOM special. The permadeath and churn of recruits in XCOM ends up creating narratives out of mechanical events that Midnight Suns can't really do. My badass sniper/assault duo Claymore and Cookie managed to take on a whole life of their own, despite just being randomly generated soldiers I was handed who managed to survive better than everyone else they went with.

Anyways, my final takeaways are "gently caress the 2K Launcher" and, what the gently caress is up with Venom's tongue situation? He has a normal, human tongue and a weird glow-y ethereal tongue and once I noticed I couldn't unnotice.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Things seemed to improve a LOT once Tony was talking less.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

I did try the free weekend, and I will note that my computer is definitely starting to creak so that was kinda miserable. But didn't love it, not gonna pick it up if/when it shows up on GOG. Hated the combat, which really dampened enthusiasm for the rest which was... adequate, though like I said I found it hard to get enthused about. Some of the dialogue options weren't quite what I expected, I very much did not intend to tell Nico that she was nothing without the staff? Sorry Nico, I never read Runaways but you seem cool. Glad to be with the EMO KIDS.

I wouldn't be surprised it it doesn't have the long tail of an XCOM game, it doesn't really have the same sense of organic story generation that makes XCOM special. The permadeath and churn of recruits in XCOM ends up creating narratives out of mechanical events that Midnight Suns can't really do. My badass sniper/assault duo Claymore and Cookie managed to take on a whole life of their own, despite just being randomly generated soldiers I was handed who managed to survive better than everyone else they went with.

Anyways, my final takeaways are "gently caress the 2K Launcher" and, what the gently caress is up with Venom's tongue situation? He has a normal, human tongue and a weird glow-y ethereal tongue and once I noticed I couldn't unnotice.

I do tend to agree with you, but from the opposite angle. I think XCOM fans aren't going to be super enthused just because these are set characters and there's limited time pressure/randomness. I like it way more than XCOM but that's because I always find that kind of 'emergent narrative' stuff really hollow, personally. It's also why I roll my eyes whenever I see a gushing article about how it's such a shame the Nemesis System from the Mordor games isn't used more when... it's just stapling modifiers and an epithet to procedurally generated enemies. Like, maybe it's me, but the magic trick doesn't work for me, I'd rather have a competently written character with a personality as either a dude in my squad or my nemesis than have to fanfic in my head that the sniper rifle with legs in my team is secretly a poet or whatever.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quantmania spoilers

So which game is going to be the first to have a Baskin Robins Scott costume?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Like, maybe it's me, but the magic trick doesn't work for me, I'd rather have a competently written character with a personality as either a dude in my squad or my nemesis than have to fanfic in my head that the sniper rifle with legs in my team is secretly a poet or whatever.

I have no idea what they did in their off-time, but sure.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

catlord posted:

I have no idea what they did in their off-time, but sure.

Heh, fair enough. I more just meant that I need a bit more than numbers to make me invest. It's why I don't like the Sims or stuff like that either.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i bought it because of the birthday party

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1628085024766689280

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoXUE4TKHwc

My expectations were low but this seems to be sliding under the bar.

Noted gun users Captain Boomerang and King Shark....

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

lol suicide squad is literally avengers again.

Future characters, new missions, and battle pass! Even has a gear score.

Amazing.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, I about died when they announced it was a games as a service thing complete with new characters and a battlepass.

This is gonna die a bigger death than Avengers.

Level up! Customize your guns! Why are King Shark and Captain Boomerang even using guns?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It actually looks more fun than I was expecting, but it's still just...one of those games. Not even remotely interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

more like Zuicide ZZZquad

fully expecting this to launch either very shortly after Multiversus shuts down entirely, or when there's leaks that the plan is to shut down the servers in June.