Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mederlock posted:

Yeah it's worth it, as long as you can dictate the distance and volume level of each individual speaker in your AV Receiver's settings so the audio delay and relative volume balance between all the speakers is right. You could also mount it on the wall a little ways up

Probably not gonna get wife buy-in on wall mounting. I just got a Denon S660H and that comes with the whole microphone on a tripod automatic setup so that should be good, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

prom candy posted:

Probably not gonna get wife buy-in on wall mounting. I just got a Denon S660H and that comes with the whole microphone on a tripod automatic setup so that should be good, right?

1) yes
2) my wife hated the articulated mount directional surrounds we had on the wall behind the couch for a long time, but she actually likes (well, tolerates) the bipole speakers mounted directly to the wall

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

This is the sub I'm using for my pc, what are the settings I should be using? I have it on Auto power and a bit past 50% for volume but I don't know what Low Pass Filter or the Phase Toggle stuff is. Also, I have the sub connected directly to the AVR using the RCA line inputs but don't use the speaker level input/outputs. Is that okay? I don't even know what they're for.

edit: not sure if this helps, but my yamaha receiver's crossover is 40hz, whatever that means.

Ryuga Death fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 7, 2023

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ryuga Death posted:

This is the sub I'm using for my pc, what are the settings I should be using? I have it on Auto power and a bit past 50% for volume but I don't know what Low Pass Filter or the Phase Toggle stuff is. Also, I have the sub connected directly to the AVR using the RCA line inputs but don't use the speaker level input/outputs. Is that okay? I don't even know what they're for.

edit: not sure if this helps, but my yamaha receiver's crossover is 40hz, whatever that means.

Low pass filter is the frequency where the sun starts rolling off its response. You're using the AVR's crossover to control that, so turn that knob all the way up on the sub.

Phase controls whether the speaker cone moves in or out when a positive pulse is applied. This needs to match acoustically to your main speakers, otherwise you'll have dropout in the bass response around the crossover frequency. You can play a tone or something with good bass and try out both settings to find out what sounds best, a lot of variables like the room etc. will affect this.

Unless your main speakers are very beefy, you should set the crossover on the AVR to 80Hz, that's the recommended crossover frequency in most setups. It's the frequency where the sub takes over from your main speakers, and you want that to happen higher than the lowest frequency your main speakers can play well.

Don't worry about the speaker level in/out, you're using an AVR so they're not needed.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KozmoNaut posted:

Phase controls whether the speaker cone moves in or out when a positive pulse is applied. This needs to match acoustically to your main speakers, otherwise you'll have dropout in the bass response around the crossover frequency. You can play a tone or something with good bass and try out both settings to find out what sounds best, a lot of variables like the room etc. will affect this.

If you ran the microphone-based setup of your AVR, it should automatically correct for phase error so in that case you don't have to worry about this setting.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Missed that he has an AVR with room correction. Yeah, just leave the phase at 0° and let the AVR deal with it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

KozmoNaut posted:

Missed that he has an AVR with room correction. Yeah, just leave the phase at 0° and let the AVR deal with it.

TBF I don't know if it has that, but he did type the words "AVR" and "Yamaha" in the post so I'm making some assumptions here.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

KozmoNaut posted:

helpful info

Thanks for the explanation and advice! It's weird to hear this sub actually do something now.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

TBF I don't know if it has that, but he did type the words "AVR" and "Yamaha" in the post so I'm making some assumptions here.

You were totally right to make that assumption. I'm just glad I never threw away or misplaced the microphone that came with the avr.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Just one more thing: if your AVR auto set up returns with +10dB or -10dB gain for your subwoofer, then you should adjust the actual volume dial on your sub and run the set up again.
So if it comes back at +10dB, it means you sub isn't loud enough and you should increase the volume dial.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Just one more thing: if your AVR auto set up returns with +10dB or -10dB gain for your subwoofer, then you should adjust the actual volume dial on your sub and run the set up again.
So if it comes back at +10dB, it means you sub isn't loud enough and you should increase the volume dial.

Good call. Yeah, that'll make sure you don't get tons of noise for doing the amplification at the "wrong stage" of the chain.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I have my sub volume knob at 50% or a bit further than that. My avr auto setup put my sub level at like -2.0db. Is that normal/acceptable?

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

I have my sub volume knob at 50% or a bit further than that. My avr auto setup put my sub level at like -2.0db. Is that normal/acceptable?

I think that's normal-ish. My sub is at -11, sometimes I change it to -10.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ryuga Death posted:

Yep that's fine.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are speaker grille covers necessary? The speakers I use with my tv don't have them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ryuga Death posted:

Are speaker grille covers necessary? The speakers I use with my tv don't have them.

No. Unless you have a pet or children that might poke the speakers then yes. Or you really don't like how the drivers look and want to cover them up.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The amount of very decent speakers I've found at thrift stores, that I ultimately walked from because what was very obviously a child had gone and crushed the tweeter dome in on them, is insane :negative: . Kids are great but God drat are they little destruction machines

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I did that to my father's speakers when I was a kid. I still feel bad about it decades later.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Some speakers are designed to sound best with the grilles left on. But that’s fairly rare, and the manual will specifically state it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

serebralassazin posted:

I did that to my father's speakers when I was a kid. I still feel bad about it decades later.

Same.

I stopped feeling bad about it after I learned he could have just never shown me how to take the speaker grills off.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
When I was toddler age I just completely wasn't allowed in my dad's stereo room. He still gives me poo poo for the one time I got in and ruined his copy of Power Corruption and Lies by grabbing it with a peanut butter covered hand.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

It’s me. I pushed my father’s tweeter domes in. I regret nothing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Hello again, thread :)

What would be a better get between the two here?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/kef-q-series-5-25-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-satin-black/5913623.p?skuId=5913623

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-series-5-1-4-340-watt-passive-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/6501482.p?skuId=6501482

KEF seem like the better option to me but the footprint of the Klipsch pair might fit better

Hooking up to a Denon S760H, small room, eventually aiming for a 2.1 or 3.1 system, but I only have money for monitors atm. Due to space limitations the speakers themselves will probably be placed about 1 foot off the floor, sitting distance is 5-6 feet away. This will be primarily for gaming/movies.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If they fit, I’d go with the KEFs. They’re still definitely a budget speaker, but KEF aims to follow the current best practices for speakers and, imo, it shows.

The Klipsch aren’t bad. The Reference series isn’t actually horn loaded, even though it kind of looks like it. They’re actually wave guides. But Klipsch is beholden to their historic sound, and do voice their speakers to sound a little more horn-like.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TheMadMilkman posted:

The Reference series isn’t actually horn loaded, even though it kind of looks like it. They’re actually wave guides. But Klipsch is beholden to their historic sound, and do voice their speakers to sound a little more horn-like.

Cool!

also I wish I wasn't dumb as a brick, but I have zero idea what this means.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
klipsch is one of those companies who has a specific "house sound" that people buy their speakers for, kind of like how a lot of Grado/Beats headphones tend to sound a certain way if you've used those. some people find it fatiguing but it's difficult to say if you'd like it without actually trying it out. the KEFs are probably a safer choice though.

also if you're looking at Klipsch Reference speakers, i think the prior generation one-product-line-up Reference Premiere RP-160Ms are pretty cheap now, have bigger woofers (you really can't beat size when it comes to bass) and are still pretty easy to get. i remember those being the default bookshelf recommendation forever

https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-RP-160M-Bookshelf-Speaker-Ebony/dp/B00RNZ6COS?th=1

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

hmm, very cool. okay, the upgrade moment looms. will report my success.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
if i have a basic setup of apple tv > lg c1 > lg c1 stereo speakers, should i still go with the audio defaults (default audio output on atv; bitstream on tv's hdmi output), or is pcm still preferable in some situations?

i read something to do with bitstream supporting vrr, whatever that means wrt "audio support"; i know what vrr is, but no idea what the audio implications are

same question for consoles like ps4 and ps5 for games and movies

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

kliras posted:

if i have a basic setup of apple tv > lg c1 > lg c1 stereo speakers, should i still go with the audio defaults (default audio output on atv; bitstream on tv's hdmi output), or is pcm still preferable in some situations?

i read something to do with bitstream supporting vrr, whatever that means wrt "audio support"; i know what vrr is, but no idea what the audio implications are

same question for consoles like ps4 and ps5 for games and movies

When you write "lg c1 stereo speakers", do you mean the speakers built into your LG C1 TV? I can't find a speaker product named "lc c1".

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
yeah, just the internal speakers on the tv

ps4 should probably just be pcm given how old it is, and given that the lg c1 tv doesn't support dts anyway, but nothing about the apple tv interface is very intuitive

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I don't think it matters a lot if you're using TV speakers.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

kliras posted:

yeah, just the internal speakers on the tv

ps4 should probably just be pcm given how old it is, and given that the lg c1 tv doesn't support dts anyway, but nothing about the apple tv interface is very intuitive

It's all a moot point if you're only on 2.0 TV speakers. DTS/Dolby only had merit for surround sound, and MAYBE if you had a subwoofer.

If you wanted a cheap upgrade, https://www.amazon.com/PROZOR-Digital-Converter-Optical-Toslink/dp/B00KNNSKV0/ from your TV, to a https://www.amazon.com/Fosi-Audio-Amplifier-Professional-Speakers/dp/B08MJBG53V/, feeding into these https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-core-series-5-3-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black/5721014.p?intl=nosplash&skuId=5721014

Would be a massive jump up. Wait for the speakers to go on sale, they go from $90-$125 on deals throughout the year. Just a thought for you to consider in the future for something better than a soundbar

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This obviously isn't my first audio system but we don't have a "here's a stupid thing I bought" thread. (we really should)

Anyways, I was having a weird one late at night and pulled the trigger on this because it's so drat cheap and I'm curious what it can do.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHFY8TA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00

I'm not expecting it to sound amazingly tight, but I'm hoping it's very efficient / loud. The reviews say the voice coil on it is absurdly huge. Better than dropping 2 grand on a Cerwin Vega that I already know will be mediocre.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Actually, I do have a question, and I bet people (especially KosmoNaut) will have opinions.

I have a Denon AVR-S760H and it's great, but I'm getting up there in the amount of poo poo I have hooked up to it in the never-ending pursuit of pissing off my neighbors. I have two SVS PC-2000 Pro subs hooked up to the two sub outputs on the receiver, and the passthrough from those goes to another pair of SVS SB12-NSDs.

I'm using the crossover in the receiver to roll off the mains, leaving the SB12-NSDs on max and using the SVS app to change the PC-2000 Pros based on my mood. This is honestly a bit clunky, and I'm going to want to stick the new Rockville on there for shits but I don't want it on all the time so I need a better way to manage it all. The way I see it, I have a few options:

MiniDSP 2x4HD / MiniDSP Flex - these would work, but they have 4 outputs and I have 5 subs to control. I could pair up the SB12-NSDs since they're right next to each other and work as a coupled pair anyways, but it would leave me with no more room and I just know that my desire to add ever more poo poo will catch up to me. This is probably the most sane option though and I should just be happy with it.

MiniDSP Flex Eight - this is sweet because it would let me run 8 outputs, but it's digital input only. Is it possible to set up the AVR-S760H to drive the main speakers and output S/PDIF at the same time? I genuinely don't know and I don't think I have anything handy to test with. I'm also concerned that there might be an annoying amount of delay between the mains and the subs. Maybe I'll dig out the Fiio stack and see if it works. Edit: I just checked the back panel and it doesn't have any digital outputs, so that answers that question :(

MiniDSP DDRC-88A / DriveRack VENU360 - this is stupid. It's overly expensive and the DriveRack would be annoying as poo poo since there's no way to turn off the screen (and their Windows app sucks but at least I already have a PA2 so I'm familiar with it). The most flexible, but ugh.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 13, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Actually, I do have a question, and I bet people (especially KosmoNaut) will have opinions.

I have a Denon AVR-S760H and it's great, but I'm getting up there in the amount of poo poo I have hooked up to it in the never-ending pursuit of pissing off my neighbors. I have two SVS PC-2000 Pro subs hooked up to the two sub outputs on the receiver, and the passthrough from those goes to another pair of SVS SB12-NSDs.

:stonklol:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there something wrong with that setup? :confused:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

KillHour posted:

Only the fact that you haven't invited us over for a rave yet :sun:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

Nothing wrong at all lol, dat's just a lotta bass. Bet your neighbours love it :sun:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mederlock posted:

Nothing wrong at all lol, dat's just a lotta bass. Bet your neighbours love it :sun:

It's not enough and that's why I'm adding the Rockville. :colbert:

It is a lot of very deep bass that shakes the walls and furniture. It's not a lot of chest-thumping mid bass, which is what you want when you're listening to loud music.

I'm leaning towards the DBX because I'm a loving idiot.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
Are sonotube subs still a thing people are building these days? I’m thinking about all the empty space in my basement that could be a theatre, and I remember a few goons back in the day had built several of them with dangerously low foundation rattling frequencies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That's basically what the PC-2000 is.