Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What's the worst thing Dana White has ever done? Vote for as many as you want.
This poll is closed.
End sponsorships so fighters are completely dependent on the UFC's pay 62 10.56%
Ban elaborate entrances and custom gear unless you're a company favorite 43 7.33%
Align himself and the UFC with Donald Trump 53 9.03%
Abuse his wife and somehow guilt MMA media for reporting about it 60 10.22%
Go on a homophobic, misogynist rant about Loretta Hunt and play free speech martyr thereafter 48 8.18%
Compare pay-per-view pirates to Osama bin Laden 40 6.81%
Argue so poorly that he somehow made Jake Paul the good guy 46 7.84%
Allow Logan Paul to own the colors Red and Blue 36 6.13%
Create Conor McGregor 36 6.13%
Blackball the entire American Kickboxing Academy until they signed away lifetime likeness rights 49 8.35%
Use Marlon Vera's daughter's medical needs for advertising, then make fans crowdfund it 49 8.35%
Create the Power Slap League 54 9.20%
Post your own and then vote for it 11 1.87%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
jack slack is right. p4p, if you're going to use it, is alexander volkanovski. i want those two to fight again so bad. and edgar / aldo 1 was closer than 2, but they were both very loving close fights and 49/46 aldo in the second is absolutely defensable. more defensable than 49/46 islam anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
also dan hooker is on one. calling someone a dog in australia is fighting words, unlike oval office, which is mostly a term of endearment.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i suppose where they are on the list is always highly debateable or whatever, but alex under islam on a p4p list is hard to defend when the general consensus and evidence suggests that alex would win if they were genuinely the same fighting size.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I think Alex would win a rematch. He would have won the fight on a whole fight judging metric, and he also would have won the fight if they had more rounds.

Islam was getting the crap beat out of him while he had someone's back.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think Alex would win a rematch.

same. he has demonstrated that rematches go very badly for who he's fighting against. and saying that with the size difference being what it is is genuinely incredible. i can't believe someone who fights that well is basically unknown outside of mma circles.

also, good to see that aussie crowds are still p4p best. there was only roughly 12k watching hunt / bigfoot 1 fight and the noise was unbelievable.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too

Josuke Higashikata posted:

but people also seem to think that if the final round is close as hell/dominant for the fighter who lost the previous 4, that means the other rounds should be re-evaluated.

While I don't think there is a way to actually implement this in a sporting context, there is a part of my brain that is sympathetic to this point. If you out land or out point somebody for a majority of early rounds and then get your rear end badly kicked in the final few frames, how can we say the foregoing striking was "effective?" What was its effect? It fatigued the thrower and made them vulnerable to getting badly beaten up. That is not a desirable effect in the context of a fight, but the scoring makes it a desirable effect in the context of a match.

I'm not trying to make a real warriors type of a point, just that I think it's an interesting example of the disconnect between MMA and fighting. Like most martial arts are more obvious in the ways they are abstractions of fighting (boxing: we shall wear these gloves and not kick one another, judo: we will wear the same clothes and consider the fight ended after one of us has thrown the other, and also we agree not to punch each other), whereas UFC's original tag line of "as real as it gets" entices a lot of viewers by saying that MMA rather than abstracting a real fight into a sport with rules and conventions is somehow simulating a real fight. That lack of abstraction is where a lot of the sport's appeal comes in but I think it also predisposes people to resist thinking of it as a sport in the same way they think of boxing as a sport. If we are simulating a real fight, who is winning at the end is more important than who was more active in the beginning. I don't know if that can or should be reflected in the rules, but I understand the mindset that wants that.

Also I disagree that Alex wins the rematch easily. I think Islam was surprised by Alex more than the other way around so I feel like Islam has greater scope for re-adjustment. And even with that element of surprise Islam won rounds both on the feet and on the mat, so with a better idea of what he is facing I think a rematch would be very competitive.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Will Brooks is calling to step in and fight Jalin Turner on short notice and I'm down for that. His first UFC run was a bit of a dud and I'd like to see if he righted the ship.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I scored the fight as a split decision:smugdog:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

CommonShore posted:

gently caress, this one bothers me the most out of all the stuff mentioned.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

This is kinda out there but has there ever been AI made that can analyze video of a fight to judge the outcome

Also there should be dark matches where the lights are off in the arena and the gloves light up

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Feb 14, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

This is kinda out there but has there ever been AI made that can analyze video of a fight to judge the outcome

I believe this is pretty far off from current video recognition technology.

At the very least to make something like that happen you'd need the video to be from a single consistently-placed source, or have access to several such sources, and that's just for the system to figure out which fighter is which and where they are in the octagon, before even getting in to anything to do with actual judging.

I think you'd probably want some kind of sensors in the gloves too, both to measure amount of strikes and force of impact, might also be helpful for the positioning problem. But then what do you do about kicks?

Brut fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 14, 2023

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Unperson_47 posted:

Also there should be dark matches where the lights are off in the arena and the gloves light up

The PFL SMART CAGE

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
if it means tekken style health bars over their heads i am for it

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CommonShore posted:

“I am only probabilistically as dumb as a fight judge!”

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

CommonShore posted:

lol

my objective thoughts

my biased assessment

the results of a tarot card reading

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Brut posted:

I think you'd probably want some kind of sensors in the gloves too, both to measure amount of strikes and force of impact, might also be helpful for the positioning problem. But then what do you do about kicks?

Footwraps are legal aren't they? Could use those, somehow.

We also need to surgically implant something to measure torsion on muscles for submissions.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Unperson_47 posted:

Footwraps are legal aren't they? Could use those, somehow.

We also need to surgically implant something to measure torsion on muscles for submissions.

If that's how we get UFC fights health insurance then so be it.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Guys there's an easy way for a fighter to point fight superbly, and still lose. It's called getting knocked out or submitted, just ask Usman about it. If volk was going to win in rounds 4 or 5 it would have had to be a finish.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Guys there's an easy way for a fighter to point fight superbly, and still lose. It's called getting knocked out or submitted, just ask Usman about it. If volk was going to win in rounds 4 or 5 it would have had to be a finish.

i'm not sure who you're talking to but sure.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Everyone at work is talking about how Volk got robbed and UFC is bullshit. I wasted a tonne of time the last few days explaining damage versus control and the MMA ruleset. A fight versus an athletic competition. I'm in sydney so that doesn't help. Either way what a great fight, volk showed he is absolutely top of the heap right now. His cardio is so far off the charts it's like cheating. I really wish we got a few more fights out of khabib. He shows up so insanely huge and strong and smothering at fight night, I don't know who'd have him tbh.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Nierbo posted:

Everyone at work is talking about how Volk got robbed and UFC is bullshit .... I'm in sydney so that doesn't help.

My brother in christ, what did you think was going to happen?

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Benson Cunningham posted:

My brother in christ, what did you think was going to happen?

If you used the correct scoring method of asking Matt Hume who won instead of stupid 10 point must then Volk would have won.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Implement the eye test for all aspects.

Fighter X would have won because the other dude got hosed up but he looks like a juicer so dq

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
go pride style with 10-5-5 minute rounds and judge the fight as a whole

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I believe the priority scoring criteria is how Japanese the fighter was.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

cagliostr0 posted:

It's just a shame that being on somebody's back doing a reverse fitching while an angry gremlin punches you over his shoulder repeatedly is considered winning.

Hopefully Islam fights Poirier next so we can put Volk in context at 155.

I mean volk was dominated in that position, the punches do nothing, and he avoided addressing the body triangle at all (which would have opened up the neck) to improve his dominated position, what are some worthless over the shoulder punches meant to do exactly

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
I believe you are forgetting some key facts: Volkanovski made faces and yelled while stuck in a body triangle.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

there's only one way to settle this. one person takes the back and locks in a body triangle. the other guy punches him in the face. see who taps first.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

flashman posted:

I mean volk was dominated in that position, the punches do nothing, and he avoided addressing the body triangle at all (which would have opened up the neck) to improve his dominated position, what are some worthless over the shoulder punches meant to do exactly

you can put this in the exact opposite way: how dominate is a position when you're sitting there not able to do anything but take (admittedly not very damaging) punches to the face?

seems like a stalemate on the ground to me, but iirc islam landed more on the feet so i think he takes the round anyway.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Defense is its own reward and shouldn't be scored on its own.

Position is its own reward and shouldn't be scored on its own.

Punching a dude in the face and yelling and making him frown is eternal and true

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ilmucche posted:

Hot take, but 5-5-10 and the ref can declare two man gasout.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

crepeface posted:

you can put this in the exact opposite way: how dominate is a position when you're sitting there not able to do anything but take (admittedly not very damaging) punches to the face?

seems like a stalemate on the ground to me, but iirc islam landed more on the feet so i think he takes the round anyway.

I get what you’re saying here, but being in a body triangle is, like, objectively worse than having your opponent in a body triangle, so while it’s a stalemate once defended I don’t think you can say it’s a wash for scoring.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Getting the body triangle in the first place is a nod to Islam. Holding the body triangle for two minutes should not, though, if there is nothing done with it. When Islam stopped attacking and just sat there, he should no longer get any credit for effective grappling because he wasn't doing anything but stall. Stalling, regardless of position, should not merit points especially in the face of actual aggression and strikes from the non-stalling fighter.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Willing to be in a body triangle so ineffectual that I can punch your face repeatedly and yell while doing so to see who taps first for science.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

This was a fight that in places really managed to grind into some of the subjective logical seams in the scoring criteria. In some ways the argument is like "back control is threatening the sub" but idk I feel that's true in the same way that backing someone into the fence threatens a punch - yes, it's true, but it doesn't mean poo poo if nobody throws the punch. And technically, in the rules as written, position is only supposed to count if offensive damage is even. There is, however, no guideline for what "damage" is from a grappling perspective or honestly, what "damage" means at all. Anyone who has experienced it knows that there's grappling "damage" - a takedown hurts, a shoulder of justice hurts, a good mount hurts, and... a body triangle hurts. Or at least these things can hurt when applied to that end. The scoring of the fight comes down to whether or not Islam's grappling and/or Volk's over the shoulder boinks count as "damage" in the mind of a given judge.

So as much as I hate to quote him anywhere, this is where Dana's "don't leave it in the hands of the judges" comes into play. There will always be a space or gap in the rules where the judge has to make a subjective call. The judges made their call.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

but iirc islam landed more on the feet so i think he takes the round anyway.

Per all the stats I've been seeing thrown around, Volk landed more.

This is, more or less, the same stats as what I've seen albeit in different visuals.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 14, 2023

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I don’t mind scoring the body triangle if he is trying for subs seriously or striking, but the way he sat in it and didn’t want to trade an inch of position for more damage of more threats is certifiably a Bitch Move and shouldn’t be rewarded as a viewer.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Marching Powder posted:

there's only one way to settle this. one person takes the back and locks in a body triangle. the other guy punches him in the face. see who taps first.
At weigh-ins the rules are decided by rolling a six-sided die to place the comma in “Two Men Enter One Man Leaves”.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Stealth Tiger posted:

Defense is its own reward and shouldn't be scored on its own.

Position is its own reward and shouldn't be scored on its own.

Punching a dude in the face and yelling and making him frown is eternal and true

https://twitter.com/mikewhoatv/status/995546967383183367?t=MmQeXwYDp7ePvir1w_lTQw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
“Paul Daley boos own fight” is up there with Roidtech in my MMA videos Mt. Rushmore