Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Playing through Link Between Worlds, something neat I'd forgotten about is that the Lorule Castle theme is built around the classic Hyrule castle theme in reverse.

The regular version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSeEk1TVQqk

And the reversed version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3x3EaEA3nI&t=249s

A commenter helpfully points out that it's easier to identify near the beginning before the production gets more complex, 4:09 in the reversed version if it doesn't jump there automatically.

Really neat. I think the idea works better in the Skyward Sword theme because the reversed Zelda's Lullaby makes for a simpler but more direct theme, but it's good in its own right. It's forgotten how cool the track gets as it builds up, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Amppelix posted:

no it would not have been lmao

i have no idea why everyone really wants the ability to be yelled at by 13-year olds online

the stickers communication system in triforce heroes is literally the perfect amount of interaction i want to have with strangers online. if you're playing with friends just get on a call

Do a lot of people play coop games with strangers? The only time that's acceptable is in an arcade on House of the Dead.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

sigher posted:

Do a lot of people play coop games with strangers? The only time that's acceptable is in an arcade on House of the Dead.

Short-form stuff like Deep Rock Galactic, yeah.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Strangers are dangerous you're not supposed to get in their cars or lobbies

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

Really neat. I think the idea works better in the Skyward Sword theme because the reversed Zelda's Lullaby makes for a simpler but more direct theme, but it's good in its own right. It's forgotten how cool the track gets as it builds up, too.

The fact that Zelda’s Lullaby in reverse is itself a complete, interesting musical melody with no alterations is god drat amazing

The music in Skyward Sword’s opening act is just immaculate

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So it’s sounding more and more like that leaked Tears of the Kingdom OLED Switch might be real. The design elements on it have been confirmed by the marketing materials released in the past week. So it’s either real or whoever faked it had access to some of the design elements.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The only people who thought it was fake were the desperate ones that wanted TotK to launch on new hardware

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Mahoning posted:

So it’s sounding more and more like that leaked Tears of the Kingdom OLED Switch might be real. The design elements on it have been confirmed by the marketing materials released in the past week. So it’s either real or whoever faked it had access to some of the design elements.

I want it to be real so I can finally upgrade my launch day switch.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

I was already forced to upgrade to a white OLED Switch so it would match my PS5, thus freeing me of the temptation of a Zelda Switch.
(I sold my old Switch to a friend who wanted to upgrade from a Switch Lite. Transferring two Switch systems in one night complete with Animal Crossing islands was quite a chore.)

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

The Maroon Hawk posted:

The fact that Zelda’s Lullaby in reverse is itself a complete, interesting musical melody with no alterations is god drat amazing

The music in Skyward Sword’s opening act is just immaculate

One of my favorite 8 bit music theory videos
https://youtu.be/_SeY_Gss2CY

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I could never replace my OG Switch, it'd feel like kicking out one of my children when a cooler kid came along

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Well it helps that mine is with a close friend of mine so I get to see it now and then and know it’s being cared for.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I could never replace my OG Switch, it'd feel like kicking out one of my children when a cooler kid came along

my launch Switch is older than both my sons, which is weird to think about

no fan noises, no issues period despite it falling onto a carpeted floor like a dozen times. one day it'll die, but I'm glad it's on schedule to live to see two Zelda releases

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My launch day Switch is also older than both my sons. And it has seen better days. The 5yo has put some wear and tear on it, including getting puke into the fan grates which fried the fan and I had to replace it last summer. So I’m ready to officially pass it on to the kiddo and get the Zelda OLED Switch for myself.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mahoning posted:

My launch day Switch is also older than both my sons. And it has seen better days. The 5yo has put some wear and tear on it, including getting puke into the fan grates which fried the fan and I had to replace it last summer. So I’m ready to officially pass it on to the kiddo and get the Zelda OLED Switch for myself.

Instead you should get the OLED Switch but keep both of them for yourself. Just sit the second Switch next to the first one while you play, and if your kid asks if they can play, say "No, I'm using it, it's my back-up Switch."

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

cirus posted:

One of my favorite 8 bit music theory videos
https://youtu.be/_SeY_Gss2CY

I’ve seen a few of these and they’re always really impressive. There’s one I can’t find where a guy would take music from an SNES game and backport it to an NES, where the NES was dedicated to solely running the music (no video output, only audio). The transition between systems made it sound even cooler somehow, the one in particular I remember was the Corneria theme from StarFox.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

With tears of the kingdom coming out I want to get a set of amiibo cards. I have a set but it's from back when there were 21. What set do I need to grab? There's some with 25, 32, and 36, but I think some of those are duplicates with different art. I've already pre-ordered the new amiibo, so I don't need that one, just all the previous ones.

Which set do I need?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

RodShaft posted:

With tears of the kingdom coming out I want to get a set of amiibo cards. I have a set but it's from back when there were 21. What set do I need to grab? There's some with 25, 32, and 36, but I think some of those are duplicates with different art. I've already pre-ordered the new amiibo, so I don't need that one, just all the previous ones.

Which set do I need?
if you have a modded New 2ds/3ds or a semi-recent non-cheap smartphone*, i guarantee you it is cheaper and easier to just buy NFC tags and customize them as needed. we don't even know what all of them do yet - some of the zelda amiibo in botw gave actual armor and weapons, some just gave slightly-better-than-average materials (ie: the bokoblin one gave you meat) - so you may not need more than a handful for the paragliders and whatnot. plus, having extra blanks sitting around will be good future-proofing for later amiibo releases, like how they released the 4 champions after the fact and each gave a unique helmet.

thenaya or tagmo are what you need, respectively.

of course, if you don't have the necessary hardware, feel free to disregard most of this post. I still feel like you should probably wait to buy them, though.

*I know a lot of phones have compatibility with NFC tags, but I also know that my own phone doesn't, because it's a relatively cheap-rear end tracfone brand smartphone that can't even do mobile hotspots. It's not that necessary of a function, so it tends to get stripped out of phones on the cheaper side.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
in tears of the kingdom ganon is going to ride a motorcycle that's cooler than link's goofy one from the botw dlc

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
In this game we finally can cook Ganon bacon

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I just wanna pet the dogs :(

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I want there to be cats to pet too.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Runcible Cat posted:

:hmmyes:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lost Judgement raised the bar for petting cats. You name the cat and nus call it by name, and can't pet, stare lovingly, or give it special cat food. If you treat a cat right it may leave you gifts.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I want some rats and mice to be nice to.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

sigher posted:

triforce heroes is literally built around that idea so sure as hell i played it with strangers, the whole way through. i wouldn't do it with something that is clearly expecting regular communication between players and communal strategies.

TFH actually wants your team to have only a tenuous mutual understanding of what you're trying to accomplish, it adds to the multiplayer chaos of it all and the levels are so constrained that it's never actually a problem if one player is slow on the uptake, there's generally only one thing you can do in front of you and the other players pantomiming and spamming the emotes to try to explain how to solve the puzzle was always a highlight lol. whenever the last player finally got it the entire team would explode in pom-pom emotes

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Fortis posted:

Skyward Sword goes out of its way to say Demise is dead as hell; Fi basically says his consciousness will dissolve entirely in the sword, not that it's sealed away. Furthermore, as the answer to a question absolutely no one asked, Demise also sucks, so I really hope it isn't him.

Isnt demise reincarnated as ganondorf tho

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Maroon Hawk posted:

This is by far the biggest oversight of the first game. You can get so close, but not actually pet them.

I suppose the game is from before “can you pet the dog” became a meme.

At least you can feed the dogs and make them love you :3:

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is by far the biggest oversight of the first game. You can get so close, but not actually pet them.

At least you can feed the dogs and make them love you :3:

From what I recall from reading an interview with one of the game devs, due to the way the game is structured, allowing you pet the dogs would enable you to pet all of the creatures - horses, bears, Moblins, even Ganon himself

And I’m just like…fuckin’ so???

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Imagine the speed runs where you pet ganon until he gives up.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Maroon Hawk posted:

From what I recall from reading an interview with one of the game devs, due to the way the game is structured, allowing you pet the dogs would enable you to pet all of the creatures - horses, bears, Moblins, even Ganon himself

And I’m just like…fuckin’ so???

What?!?!? If they all have the same properties THEN LET ME RIDE THE DOGS NINTENDO YOU COWARDS

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Vikar Jerome posted:

Demise refers to an "incarnation of [his] hatred" which I guess is kind of ambiguous. I always took it to mean that Ganon isn't exactly Demise reborn, but is a result of the curse he put on Zelda and Link as he died.

Either way I don't really like it because the whole thing just robs Ganon of his villainous agency.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My memory is that “can you pet the dog” was mostly a reaction to BotW. Everyone was so bummed that a whole twitter account was created to finding other games where you could pet the dog. (I might be full of poo poo though.)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

MokBa posted:

My memory is that “can you pet the dog” was mostly a reaction to BotW. Everyone was so bummed that a whole twitter account was created to finding other games where you could pet the dog. (I might be full of poo poo though.)

It's plausible but I think a general obsession towards pettable dogs in videogames began to some extent after the Call of Duty: Ghosts trailer from 2013. People started to call the game "Collar Duty."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxnx3W-HA18&t=4s

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Imagine the speed runs where you pet ganon until he gives up.

I will pet Ganon until hearts appear above his head, and nobody can stop me :colbert:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

LET ME RIDE GANON NINTENDO YOU COWARDS

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Vikar Jerome posted:

Demise laid a dying curse upon Hyrule such that some jabroni would eternally show up to carry on his work.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Blaziken386 posted:

if you have a modded New 2ds/3ds or a semi-recent non-cheap smartphone*, i guarantee you it is cheaper and easier to just buy NFC tags and customize them as needed. we don't even know what all of them do yet - some of the zelda amiibo in botw gave actual armor and weapons, some just gave slightly-better-than-average materials (ie: the bokoblin one gave you meat) - so you may not need more than a handful for the paragliders and whatnot. plus, having extra blanks sitting around will be good future-proofing for later amiibo releases, like how they released the 4 champions after the fact and each gave a unique helmet.

thenaya or tagmo are what you need, respectively.

of course, if you don't have the necessary hardware, feel free to disregard most of this post. I still feel like you should probably wait to buy them, though.

*I know a lot of phones have compatibility with NFC tags, but I also know that my own phone doesn't, because it's a relatively cheap-rear end tracfone brand smartphone that can't even do mobile hotspots. It's not that necessary of a function, so it tends to get stripped out of phones on the cheaper side.

I have a pixel 6 pro. Should be fine. I wasn't going to go this way, because I figured I'm lazy and the bought ones would look better. But I have a printer and holographic sticker paper, so I bet I can rig something up. I also grabbed the playing card size so I can keep them in a nice holder and print some info on what they do(since I always forget when I play botw) I can give my old thumbnail size set to my neighbor lady.

Edit: the main reason I went this way was having to buy more in the future when I don't really care about the lil statues.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 14, 2023

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Runcible Cat posted:

:hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RodShaft posted:

I have a pixel 6 pro. Should be fine. I wasn't going to go this way, because I figured I'm lazy and the bought ones would look better. But I have a printer and holographic sticker paper, so I bet I can rig something up. I also grabbed the playing card size so I can keep them in a nice holder and print some info on what they do(since I always forget when I play botw) I can give my old thumbnail size set to my neighbor lady.

You don't have to make anything, you just wave your phone over the amiibo spot, which also makes it easy to quickly swap between whatever ones you want on the fly.