Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I was not expecting Gene Hackman in Young Frankenstein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

High Warlord Zog posted:

It's interesting that Babylon succeeds and falls short in more of less the same ways as Day of the Locust - and I suspect like Day of the Locust it's the kind of rare ambitious, very expensive but not great movie people aren't going to revist or try to reclaim down the line
Actually both of those are masterpieces. But yes, they are both very similar thematically too.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I was not expecting Gene Hackman in Young Frankenstein

I actually just saw Bride of Frankenstein in theaters and it is SO HARD to see the scenes with the Hermit without thinking of Hackman's turn.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Greatest cameo in any movie ever.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

FreudianSlippers posted:

Banhees of Inisherin is very good.

Could've done with some more eerie wailing.

I recently watched Yelloyjackets and I enjoyed the eerie wailing score. Punctuating the gayest nineties songs

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGIPa9s1HDg

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Whoever voted on that list never watched a Bruce Lee movie or Ong Bak.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They’re from Reddit lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I fuckin hate passwords

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

"Walt sent me"

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Reddit just hates the movie Swordfish

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Jay Rust posted:

I fuckin hate passwords

"Give me the goddamned passcodes" is the best part of the Hobo With A Shotgun trailer that didn't make it to the full movie.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

I fuckin hate passwords

I don't know how anyone can hate knockers!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Jay Rust posted:

I fuckin hate passwords

That kind of talk will get your Gibson hacked.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol "miscasting"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

"Background fighters" what does that even mean?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Give me the goddamned passcodes" is the best part of the Hobo With A Shotgun trailer that didn't make it to the full movie.

I think of this line a lot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Flying Zamboni posted:

Probably the people who got weird about the odd knife disappearing in the last Jedi

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MacheteZombie posted:

Lol "miscasting"

Dracula: Dead and Loving It was really hurt by casting Leslie Nielsen as Dracula. He has a specific style of comedy he's fantastic at, and the script isn't written for him at all.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Flying Zamboni posted:

I know it's very nitpicky but it is extremely funny to me in The Dark Night 3 when Bane has his army of goons and Batman has his army of cops, the two armies run at each other and when they meet they instantly break out into dozen of separate one-on-one fist fights.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Flying Zamboni posted:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Nolan should just straight up have a guest director come and do action scenes for him.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Separate action directors wasn't uncommon in Hong Kong back in the day.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Dracula: Dead and Loving It was really hurt by casting Leslie Nielsen as Dracula. He has a specific style of comedy he's fantastic at, and the script isn't written for him at all.

If only it was that innocent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Nolan should just straight up have a guest director come and do action scenes for him.

Two stunt actors react to the same kick. That is way beyond a directing problem, that's shockingly incompetent fight choreography. The cheapest B action movies at least prep enough that everyone knows which hit to react to.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

FreudianSlippers posted:

Separate action directors wasn't uncommon in Hong Kong back in the day.

It’s even common for the MCU and a lot of action movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

It’s even common for the MCU and a lot of action movies

Yeah, almost all action in the MCU nowadays is done by the second unit (and I think Ava DuVernay walked away from her New Gods movie at DC because they didn't feel comfortable letting her direct action).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think like 75% of T2 was shot 2nd unit

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gripweed posted:

I will fight you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Timby posted:

Yeah, almost all action in the MCU nowadays is done by the second unit (and I think Ava DuVernay walked away from her New Gods movie at DC because they didn't feel comfortable letting her direct action).

I thought it was some female French director and the MCU (Eternals maybe, before they went with Chloe Zhao), but I may have read about it before I knew who Ava DuVernay was and just assumed she was French, or it's happened to multiple female directors. The way she described it was funny (I'm paraphrasing from an interview I barely remember) , "And they said to me 'Don't worry, you won't have to direct the action parts' when being able to direct the action sequences is the only reason I'd have been interested in doing it at all."

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
The BFI IMAX has got a mini-Nolan season on leading up to Oppenheimer. Got my ticket for the Dark Knight Trilogy on IMAX 70mm, thinking about seeing some of the others as well. Tickets are already going so fast, I don't know why they don't put these on more often - I don't think their Tenet print has been shown since the original release.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
They should do more now the BFI have taken it back over from Odeon. I’ve seen Blue Velvet and Throne of Blood there in the last few weeks. Still salty they haven’t programmed a Playtime screening there, though. One of the most IMAX-worthy movies ever.

Also saw Dark Knight there for the 10th anniversary and yeah it owned hard

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gripweed posted:

Is the new White Noise even about EVP?

It's been years but I vaguely recall DeLillo having a tangent about EVP. Might be in a different book.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I should probably come to you for recs tbh, I'm still fairly new to them lol

The pact is more recent SoV watch and that was pretty neat in a student film way.

I actually have not forgotten about this. I've just seen so many that I am gathering up the ones I really loved.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I thought it was some female French director and the MCU (Eternals maybe, before they went with Chloe Zhao), but I may have read about it before I knew who Ava DuVernay was and just assumed she was French, or it's happened to multiple female directors. The way she described it was funny (I'm paraphrasing from an interview I barely remember) , "And they said to me 'Don't worry, you won't have to direct the action parts' when being able to direct the action sequences is the only reason I'd have been interested in doing it at all."

I think you and Timby mixed up Ava Duvernays New Gods with Lucretia Martel and Black Widow

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/12/lucrecia-martel-marvel-offer-black-widow-sexist-dont-worry-action-scenes-1202027524/

What happened in Duvernays case was that she got the job for the new gods and then it got axed while she was working on the script with Tom King

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Yo, how come nobody's talking about WARRIORS OF FUTURE [sic]? This poo poo is insane!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually have not forgotten about this. I've just seen so many that I am gathering up the ones I really loved.

Oh hell yeah. I still need to get to that 45min slasher so I'm slacking on my end of this deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Yo, how come nobody's talking about WARRIORS OF FUTURE [sic]? This poo poo is insane!

I had never heard of this. Thanks been looking for a fun new sci fi.