Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran
What country are you in? US
Do you live near Microcenter? Yep
What are you using the system for? Primarily gaming, some light VM usage here and there.
What's your budget? irrelevant I guess since I already bought most of this stuff
Monitor resolution: 1440p, 165hz

Just looking for a sanity check on this. I've not built a system with such a high power, high temp CPU before (current machine has a 5800X), so not sure if the cooler is capable. I figure I can throw the PA 120 at it for now and see if I should shell out for an AIO later. I'm probably going to end up throwing it in 105W ECO mode anyway, I mostly got the CPU due to the $599 MicroCenter combo deal.

Power supply not listed because it isn't on PartPicker yet, it's a Corsair RM1000x SHIFT. Wanted to see if the moved modular ports make things easier for a build. Getting the 1000W version because I'm not sure what I'm going to do GPU-wise yet, just reusing my 3060ti from my current build for now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (Purchased For $417.98)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $37.90)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $182.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (Purchased For $0.01)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $159.99)
Video Card: EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $99.99)
Total: $897.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-13 13:10 EST-0500

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Butterfly Valley posted:

Define 'tasks' because this system is wildly unbalanced, 32GB RAM is more than enough for the vast majority of users let alone one hundred and twenty-loving-eight gigs. (If you don't have a specific knowledge that you need lots of RAM, you don't need lots of RAM)

You've got the most powerful CPU going and a midrange last generation GPU, which will massively bottleneck the system. The case is bad, the storage meagre, the power supply insufficient, and the RAM while plentiful slow as gently caress. What monitors are you aiming to buy? High refresh rate 1440p or 4k?

Thanks for the feedback, this is really helpful. You bring up a lot of good points. I should've mentioned all of this initially, but here's some additional context -

I do a lot of database work and my apps will eat up every ounce of RAM they can get. I work on beefy VMs currently but would be nice to work locally too. It seemed fairly inexpensive to me so I figured I'd just max it out, but that's probably because I chose some slow sticks as you mentioned. Kind of lost on what to pick there to be honest. Would you recommend either of these sets?
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($309.99 @ Newegg)
Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-7200 CL34 Memory ($287.99 @ Amazon)

I plan on upgrading the GPU down the line because I'm assuming that prices will continue to drop. The one I selected was just to get by for the next year or two until I get pick up something higher-end.

As far as storage goes, I have several other M2s laying around and no shortage of HDDs.

Is the PS really insufficient? I thought the 1k W would be overkill but I guess not. Thinking about this helped me remember that I've had bad luck with EVGA PSUs. How's this one for a replacement? Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($318.57 @ Amazon)

For the case I just picked something simple looking and big enough, but yeah I'm not really sold on it. I like the minimalist look but honestly I could care less about what it looks like. I liked what people had to say about the noise-padding materials built in.

For monitors, I'd love to have a set of high refresh rate 1440ps and the plan is to also hook it up to a 4k TV on the wall.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

LiterallyAnything posted:

I plan on upgrading the GPU down the line because I'm assuming that prices will continue to drop. The one I selected was just to get by for the next year or two until I get pick up something higher-end.

The 3070 Ti was a really uniquely bad value proposition when it was new and it hasn't aged well - for about the same ~$800 as the card you picked you can get a 4070 Ti, which is in a much better position and will be relevant for longer

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Thanks for the feedback, this is really helpful. You bring up a lot of good points. I should've mentioned all of this initially, but here's some additional context -

I do a lot of database work and my apps will eat up every ounce of RAM they can get. I work on beefy VMs currently but would be nice to work locally too. It seemed fairly inexpensive to me so I figured I'd just max it out, but that's probably because I chose some slow sticks as you mentioned. Kind of lost on what to pick there to be honest. Would you recommend either of these sets?
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-5600 CL28 Memory ($309.99 @ Newegg)

As far as storage goes, I have several other M2s laying around and no shortage of HDDs.

Is the PS really insufficient? I thought the 1k W would be overkill but I guess not. Thinking about this helped me remember that I've had bad luck with EVGA PSUs. How's this one for a replacement? Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Titanium 1000 W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($318.57 @ Amazon)

For the case I just picked something simple looking and big enough, but yeah I'm not really sold on it. I like the minimalist look but honestly I could care less about what it looks like. I liked what people had to say about the noise-padding materials built in.

For monitors, I'd love to have a set of high refresh rate 1440ps and the plan is to also hook it up to a 4k TV on the wall.

Get a Lancool 216. It comes with all the fans you'll need and it comfortably supports 360MM AIOs in to the top mount. The R5 has so little airflow that trying to do anything under load will cause the fans on your GPU/AIO to ramp up to super high speeds, negating the value of any noise dampening materials in the case.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If you insist on doing 128GB, then do not buy anything better than DDR5-4800. Two dimms per channel with two ranks per dimm is absolutely brutal on the memory controller, and it's very unlikely you'll be able to run it very fast. You might be able to do DDR5-5200, but it's not guaranteed. Chances are, you may have to go down to 4400 or 4200 to be stable. In fact, you're probably better off buying DDR4 instead, as you should be able to do at least 3200, which will have better gaming performance.

Under no circumstances should you spend $800 on a 3070 Ti though. That's $200 over MSRP, and that MSRP was overpriced to begin with. Either spend the same amount of money on a 4070 Ti, or drop down to a regular 3070.

CapMoron posted:

Do you live near Microcenter? Yep
What are you using the system for? Primarily gaming, some light VM usage here and there.
What's your budget? irrelevant I guess since I already bought most of this stuff
Monitor resolution: 1440p, 165hz

Just looking for a sanity check on this. I've not built a system with such a high power, high temp CPU before (current machine has a 5800X), so not sure if the cooler is capable. I figure I can throw the PA 120 at it for now and see if I should shell out for an AIO later. I'm probably going to end up throwing it in 105W ECO mode anyway, I mostly got the CPU due to the $599 MicroCenter combo deal.

Power supply not listed because it isn't on PartPicker yet, it's a Corsair RM1000x SHIFT. Wanted to see if the moved modular ports make things easier for a build. Getting the 1000W version because I'm not sure what I'm going to do GPU-wise yet, just reusing my 3060ti from my current build for now.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X 4.7 GHz 12-Core Processor (Purchased For $417.98)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $37.90)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard (Purchased For $182.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (Purchased For $0.01)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $159.99)
Video Card: EVGA XC GAMING GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $99.99)
Total: $897.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-13 13:10 EST-0500

This all seems good. I'm just a little concerned about the power supply's compatibility with the case. This doesn't seem to be a thing there's a lot of information posted about online, so it's hard to tell if it's going to work out or not. The 216's steel side panel sort of snaps into place, and GamersNexus noted that tidy cable management may be required to keep it held in. If the weird side placement of those connectors gets in the way, then it could cause problems. It will hopefully be fine, though?

CapMoron
Nov 20, 2000
Forum Veteran

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This all seems good. I'm just a little concerned about the power supply's compatibility with the case. This doesn't seem to be a thing there's a lot of information posted about online, so it's hard to tell if it's going to work out or not. The 216's steel side panel sort of snaps into place, and GamersNexus noted that tidy cable management may be required to keep it held in. If the weird side placement of those connectors gets in the way, then it could cause problems. It will hopefully be fine, though?

Yeah, I’m rolling the dice to see how it goes. They are supposed to be using smaller “micro” connectors on the PSU side, and the case is 25mm wider than Corsair’s minimum requirements, so we’ll see. I can return it if need be. I’ll report back after I put it together this weekend.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Grumpwagon posted:

What country are you in? US, specifically Minnesota
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Some programming, but the vast majority is gaming. Not FPS, but does play a lot of modern games in other genres
What's your budget? Up to $2k, but I wouldn't mind spending less
Monitor resolution: Needs a new monitor (not counted in budget). I'm assuming 1440p, but not sure what the sweet spot is for resolution/refresh is right now, specifically for non-FPS gamer.

Made some tweaks for this. We're basing this around this Ryzen 7 7700x Microcenter+MB+RAM combo:

Ryzen 7 7700X + Aorus elite MB + 32gb DDR5-6000 ram combo for $572. We'll get a 2 tb SN570 SSD there too, then finish up with the below:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1129.87 (+ $701.97 from Microcenter for a grand total of $1831.84)

Just hoping to get a last once over, and also an opinion on if the Meshify 2 is $70 better than the Meshify C? Microcenter has the C in stock for $100, but doesn't have stock for the Meshify 2.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 14, 2023

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

Made some tweaks for this. We're basing this around this Ryzen 7 7700x Microcenter+MB+RAM combo:

Ryzen 7 7700X + Aorus elite MB + 32gb DDR5-6000 ram combo for $572. We'll get a 2 tb SN570 SSD there too, then finish up with the below:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($39.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($829.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1129.87 (+ $701.97 from Microcenter for a grand total of $1831.84)

Just hoping to get a last once over, and also an opinion on if the Meshify 2 is $70 better than the Meshify C? Microcenter has the C in stock for $100, but doesn't have stock for the Meshify 2.

If it's in stock at your local store, then this 7900X/Asus B650E-F combo is just $28 more: https://www.microcenter.com/product...ter-build-combo

Saving the money by getting a 7700X instead is valid since the 7900X doesn't really perform better in gaming. But it's just $28 more...

edit: I would bump that PSU up to 750W for sure though. 650 is cutting it too close here.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 14, 2023

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Oh, right, I was still basing this on the power envelope from the Ryzen 5 we started with.

How about this Superflower 750w Gold with a 10 year warranty? I know it's a good brand, but is buying from a Newegg Seller a bad idea? EDIT: Never mind, it appears it is being sold by Superflower themselves.

The Ryzen 9 is sadly out of stock at the 2 closest Microcenters, but good call.

Any opinion on the Meshify C vs 2? I guess it hardly matters since we're not getting everything from Microcenter, so we're going to have to wait for shipping anyway, but in my experience cases take forever to ship.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Oh wow, yeah. Alright, thanks for that, I think that settles it.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Feb 14, 2023

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Grumpwagon posted:

Oh, right, I was still basing this on the power envelope from the Ryzen 5 we started with.

How about this Superflower 750w Gold with a 10 year warranty? I know it's a good brand, but is buying from a Newegg Seller a bad idea? EDIT: Never mind, it appears it is being sold by Superflower themselves.

The Ryzen 9 is sadly out of stock at the 2 closest Microcenters, but good call.

Any opinion on the Meshify C vs 2? I guess it hardly matters since we're not getting everything from Microcenter, but in my experience cases take forever to ship.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/compare/Fractal_Design_Meshify_C_vs_Fractal_Design_Meshify_S2/BHitems/1561254-REG_1561255-REG

Pretty big differences in internal size compatibility.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If you insist on doing 128GB, then do not buy anything better than DDR5-4800. Two dimms per channel with two ranks per dimm is absolutely brutal on the memory controller, and it's very unlikely you'll be able to run it very fast. You might be able to do DDR5-5200, but it's not guaranteed. Chances are, you may have to go down to 4400 or 4200 to be stable. In fact, you're probably better off buying DDR4 instead, as you should be able to do at least 3200, which will have better gaming performance.

Greater than JEDEC speeds at 128GB is possible, but you'll want to make sure you go with a Z790 motherboard. They have much better 2DPC support than Z690 boards in general, mostly due to lessions that manufacturers learnt after first gen. You're basically also restricted to just high quality Hynix dies, and there will be a bit of tinkering, but 5600 is not an unfeasible target. I understand being adverse to tinkering with it though.

Another option is 48GB DIMMs, they are brand new but sold already at JEDEC 5600B (from China, I don't know if they are widely available yet). This allows 96GB with only 1DPC, so wouldn't be a concern getting it running.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
A very quick question - I'm recommending some upgrades for a friend, and I want to make sure I'm not screwing them over with the GPU choice.

They mainly play games, but also use Meshlab (non-professionally). AMD GPUs are much better value, especially here in Aus, but I'm not sure if the lack of CUDA and other driver stuff impacts that program at all - this isn't my area of expertise and google was pretty unhelpful. They have an R5 1600 in a basic B350, slow memory, and a GTX 1070 right now, so I think a 5600 and better DDR4 is a bit more of a priority. At least GPUs are easy to swap out.

Coucho Marx fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 15, 2023

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes.
What are you using the system for? Web, Office, Light Gaming of older titles.
What's your budget? $800, Already have a fresh windows key.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p

My Dad asked me to build him a computer. He'll be using it for Web, Office, and some gaming (Civ IV is what he mentioned). He'll be reusing his keyboard/mouse/monitors. I haven't built a new system in a few years - does this look reasonable?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($178.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $716.94 At the nearest Microcenter.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes.
What are you using the system for? Web, Office, Light Gaming of older titles.
What's your budget? $800, Already have a fresh windows key.
Monitor Resolution: 1080p

My Dad asked me to build him a computer. He'll be using it for Web, Office, and some gaming (Civ IV is what he mentioned). He'll be reusing his keyboard/mouse/monitors. I haven't built a new system in a few years - does this look reasonable?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($178.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($111.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Asus ROG Strix 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $716.94 At the nearest Microcenter.

With a few tweaks, you could make him a system for under $800 with a dedicated GPU that's going to be much better than just using the integrated graphics on the 5700G.

I've swapped out the RAM, storage, PSU and case for cheaper but equally decent components for his use case (he wouldn't notice the difference between a PCIe 3 and 4 NVMe - but you could always go for the sn770 for a cheap decent gen 4 NVMe option).

The only strict downgrade is the motherboard, with less I/O, but it still has WiFi.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 14, 2023

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

With a few tweaks, you could make him a system for under $800 with a dedicated GPU that's going to be much better than just using the integrated graphics on the 5700G.

I've swapped out the RAM, storage, PSU and case for cheaper but equally decent components for his use case (he wouldn't notice the difference between a PCIe 3 and 4 NVMe - bur you could always go for the sn770 for a cheap decent gen 4 NVMe option).

The only strict downgrade is the motherboard, with less I/O, but it still had WiFi.

And if you go that route, you can take advantage of one of the micro center bundle deals. They have a deal for the 5600x plus a motherboard bundled together for 200 bucks. Unfortunately it doesn’t have wifi, but you can get a wifi card or adapter for less than what you’d save.

https://www.microcenter.com/product/5006263/amd-ryzen-5-5600x,-asus-prime-b450m-a-ii,-cpu-motherboard-combo

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I recently upgraded my GPU to a 4070ti and it's absolutely great!

...However, I kinda neglected and forgot about how old my CPU is. I'm still running a 4790k from 8 years ago lol. Bless it, it still does pretty good but I'm definitely noticing the bottleneck it causes with the powerhouse that is the 4070ti. So I'm looking to upgrade with the below parts:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor ($323.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($77.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Toshiba Solid State Drive 512 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($132.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive ($33.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($849.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX750G Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1826.34

Note I'm kinda building around the motherboard as it was accidentally shipped to me in place of a much, much cheaper board I was going to use for another build. So I've had it sitting around for 2 years and I want to make use of it before it's obsoleted entirely. Fortunately it looks like the 5800X3D is still top of the line for gaming so it works out! I had two questions related to this build:

1) The Motherboard requires an updated BIOS before it will work with the CPU. Unfortunately the board I have is an older model that doesn't have the BIOS flashback so to upgrade it I'll need to borrow a CPU from another PC that I have on hand. However, some people seem to have had luck with the motherboard at least booting into the BIOS to allow an update even if the CPU isn't supported. Is there any risk of damage to the CPU/Motherboard if I just pop in the 5800X3D to see if it will POST to allow a BIOS update? I'd prefer to try my luck but if there's a risk of damage I'll just pop in the old CPU first.

2) I'm basically only replacing the Motherboard/CPU+cooler/RAM in the case and reconnecting what I already have. I'm running Windows 10 Pro OEM; I'm assuming I'll need a new product key for Windows to function since it'll think it's kind of an entirely new PC? Do I need to do anything with my old version of Windows on the "old" PC prior to connecting the HD to the new build? Or can I just boot it up, enter a new product code, and download/update to Windows 11? I've never swapped a Windows installation to a different PC so I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Mandatory OP info below:

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming and shitposting
What's your budget? Whatever gets the job done.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? 144hz/Ultra @1440p.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? N/A

Edit: Added existing power supply FYI.

Edit 2: Incorporated suggestions and filled out the rest of the system with what I already have. Jesus Christ I didn't realize I had that much money into this :stare:

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Feb 15, 2023

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Hakarne posted:

1) The Motherboard requires an updated BIOS before it will work with the CPU. Unfortunately the board I have is an older model that doesn't have the BIOS flashback so to upgrade it I'll need to borrow a CPU from another PC that I have on hand. However, some people seem to have had luck with the motherboard at least booting into the BIOS to allow an update even if the CPU isn't supported. Is there any risk of damage to the CPU/Motherboard if I just pop in the 5800X3D to see if it will POST to allow a BIOS update? I'd prefer to try my luck but if there's a risk of damage I'll just pop in the old CPU first.

You don't need 64GB of RAM, get 32GB of 3600 CL16 instead. If you still have your old Windows key, you should be able to re-enter it if needed. People have varying degrees of success with Windows transferring or not. Otherwise buy a new key from SAMart for like $20. There's no harm in trying the 5800X3D in the board, it just won't boot if it doesn't want to. When I built my PC 2 years ago I had luck with my 5600X in a B550 board booting into an unsupported BIOS.

How old is the PSU? If it's as old as the rest of the PC, probably time to upgrade.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Butterfly Valley posted:

You don't need 64GB of RAM, get 32GB of 3600 CL16 instead. If you still have your old Windows key, you should be able to re-enter it if needed. People have varying degrees of success with Windows transferring or not. Otherwise buy a new key from SAMart for like $20. There's no harm in trying the 5800X3D in the board, it just won't boot if it doesn't want to. When I built my PC 2 years ago I had luck with my 5600X in a B550 board booting into an unsupported BIOS.

How old is the PSU? If it's as old as the rest of the PC, probably time to upgrade.

Thanks! Switched the RAM (I was only getting 32gb not sure why it duplicated) and I guess I'll roll the dice with the CPU booting. I'll probably upgrade Windows anyways so I may as well grab a key. My PSU is somewhat newer than that (3-4 years?).

Edit: I probably gave the impression cost was no issue but I went with 16/3200 since I am in fact cheap.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 15, 2023

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!
Is there really no point in going beyond DDR4-3600? (asking a genuine question, not suggesting Hakarne upgrade to something more). With DDR5-6000+ available, is DDR4-3600 really still the best bet for performance?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

literally this big posted:

Is there really no point in going beyond DDR4-3600? (asking a genuine question, not suggesting Hakarne upgrade to something more). With DDR5-6000+ available, is DDR4-3600 really still the best bet for performance?

On an AM4 platform, no, there's no point, and any higher can be actively detrimental. Something to do with matching the infinity fabric.

Hakarne posted:

Thanks! Switched the RAM (I was only getting 32gb not sure why it duplicated) and I guess I'll roll the dice with the CPU booting. I'll probably upgrade Windows anyways so I may as well grab a key. My PSU is somewhat newer than that (3-4 years?).

Edit: I probably gave the impression cost was no issue but I went with 16/3200 since I am in fact cheap.

If your hardware is compatible you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free anyway.

I've just seen the additional edits you've made - don't get the sn550, it's bad now and also weirdly expensive there - you can get a 2tb pcie 4 sn770 for basically the same price. You can also get a 2tb WD blue HDD for around $45 if you go for a 5400rpm one, which is fine if you're just using it for media etc.

Also finally I'd be worried about that case, with all these new components in there I'd imagine poo poo will run hot.

PSU is fine.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Butterfly Valley posted:

On an AM4 platform, no, there's no point, and any higher can be actively detrimental. Something to do with matching the infinity fabric.

If your hardware is compatible you'll be able to upgrade to Windows 11 for free anyway.

I've just seen the additional edits you've made - don't get the sn550, it's bad now and also weirdly expensive there - you can get a 2tb pcie 4 sn770 for basically the same price. You can also get a 2tb WD blue HDD for around $45 if you go for a 5400rpm one, which is fine if you're just using it for media etc.

Also finally I'd be worried about that case, with all these new components in there I'd imagine poo poo will run hot.

PSU is fine.

Oh I already own the storage listed there, it's poo poo I picked up on sale over the years and/or never got rid of and just keep adding to my system. I'll keep an eye on temps but this case has always been great for it, never had any issues.

I appreciate the input!

Edit: Yeah even with the new GPU taking up lots of space my CPU/GPU temps hold between 45c-55c running a game maxed out. My poor old CPU was running 90%+ utilization too. Always been cool as a cucumber which is why I'm not looking to replace it - I've been using it for like 13 years now lol. As long as the fans are spinning I'll run this poo poo into the ground

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 15, 2023

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Butterfly Valley posted:

*some boards can manage DDR4-3800 & a 1900 mHz fabric clock

iirc once the memory clock & fabric clock aren't 2:1 things get fucky which can cause performance loss

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hakarne posted:

Oh I already own the storage listed there, it's poo poo I picked up on sale over the years and/or never got rid of and just keep adding to my system. I'll keep an eye on temps but this case has always been great for it, never had any issues.

I appreciate the input!

Edit: Yeah even with the new GPU taking up lots of space my CPU/GPU temps hold between 45c-55c running a game maxed out. My poor old CPU was running 90%+ utilization too. Always been cool as a cucumber which is why I'm not looking to replace it - I've been using it for like 13 years now lol. As long as the fans are spinning I'll run this poo poo into the ground

Do be aware that the 5800X3D does run pretty spicy. I ended up upgrading my case because the combo of 5800X3D and 3080 12GB was putting out more heat than my old case could handle (without pulling off the front panel and turning it into a dust vacuum). That old case is now home to the 3600X and 2070 Super I upgraded from, and it handles those fine.

I'm not saying your case definitely won't be able to manage the heat, but I wouldn't be confident in the other direction, either.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Definitely appreciate the heat warnings. I'll make sure to keep the monitor going and keep an extra close eye on it for a while, especially when summer rolls around. Out of curiosity, has there been some great leap forward for cooling in case design that the HAF 912 lacks? I know it's old but it seems relatively spacious/bulky for what it is, plenty of fans, and the front is also ventilated. I browsed cases when building computers for the kids and the main difference I noticed was the cases "looked better" with windows, cable management, etc.

The HAF is an ugly loving brick but it still seems drat good if you just want something functional and don't care about aesthetics (I don't). At least that's the impression I have as an amateur who only does a build every 3-5 years on average.

Edit: Oh poo poo I actually had the wrong case, I have the HAF 922 which is even bigger and bulkier. I also got super lucky because I was going by the clearances listed for the 912 when I bought my card :lol:. The card fit with all of like 1-2mm to spare at the end, I had to slide it into the case angled because it wouldn't fit past the edge of the case. I was confused because pc part picker warned the GPU might protrude into the drive bay but the 922 has metal bars blocking those off so I didn't have that extra wiggle room to work with. Updated the part list to reflect that.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 15, 2023

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Most good modern cases have full mesh fronts (and often tops, and bottoms when they can) that let air flow smoothly from front to back. A lot come with their own fans, including stuff like the Fractal Torrent series or Lian Li 215/216 with big 160-200mm front fans that can spin slow and quiet but still move lots of air. Cable management has generally improved with lots of holes, velcro ties etc. and your usual array of tempered glass & RGB stuff.

Generally most mesh front cases will be good, stick some 120mm or 140mm fans in front and you'll be fine. Top-mounted AIOs are also a good option for hot processors like the 5800X3D and up.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Oh yeah this 922 has a vented front with a 200mm fan, another 200mm fan on the top, and a 120mm fan on the back. I noticed the "newer" model of the case that I don't have has optional fans on the bottom and side too. But it still has ventilation on the top, bottom, and sides for airflow. There's also space for cable management behind the board mount too.

Seems like it's held up pretty well via just over-engineering it with fans back in 2011. It sounds like I may be able to get comparable or better cooling with fewer/smaller fans (and less power consumption) on the new cases that you described though.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax
Yeah by the looks of it, it's pretty decent for an over-decade-old case. Really, losing all those front HDD and drive mounts is the primary difference with newer cases, suddenly all that room is freed up for additional airflow. You'll know pretty well if it ever becomes an issue.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Butterfly Valley posted:

Ah, OK. What about on a board like a 690?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Interesting video for those building Zen 4 systems:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjAs_zoL7g

The lesson is not to skimp out on memory I guess. DDR5-6000 isn't too much more than 5200 these days, so I would spend the extra $20 - $30 and get at least 6000CL36 which is now $130 now for 2x16GB. You can gain a few more percentage points of performance by opting for a kit with tighter timings, but that probably won't matter in the vast majority of cases (keep in mind the tests in that video are done at 1080p with a 4090)

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Really considering just going for a 7700X instead of upgrading my 3700X to a 5800X(3D), but 2x32GB DDR5 is oof and finding a decent motherboard with optical out gets spendy as well...

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Wibla posted:

Really considering just going for a 7700X instead of upgrading my 3700X to a 5800X(3D), but 2x32GB DDR5 is oof and finding a decent motherboard with optical out gets spendy as well...

Do you do a lot of productivity workloads? The 7700X is not a significant upgrade in performance in gaming over a 5800X3D (usually just a few percent at best, and I believe the 5800X3D actually wins in some specific titles), certainly not compared to the cost if you're already on AM4, so if you don't need the improvements in productivity I would very much recommend the 5800X3D.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Circling back to this, looking at AMD's specs for the 5800X3D it says the max memory speed is DDR4-3200. So I guess specifically for that CPU there's no point in going faster than that which is nice and keeps things cheap(er) for peak performance.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming, shitposting
What's your budget? ~2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get. Graphics are not a priority.

If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow? Kids homework only

My last Windows build was in 2011, was set up to play WoW, and it has finally died. I don't do a lot of PC gaming these days but I have kids who are almost teenagers so it would be nice to have some modern hardware to play my Steam library. I have an iMac Pro that is used for audio/video and graphic work.

Where do I start on a build now? I've put together

quote:

[PCPartPicker Part List](https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hGNDRv)

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
**CPU** | [Intel Core i9-13900K 3 GHz 24-Core Processor](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DhVmP6/intel-core-i9-13900k-3-ghz-24-core-processor-bx8071513900k) | $569.99 @ Amazon
**Storage** | [Western Digital Blue SN570 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/rr8bt6/western-digital-blue-sn570-2-tb-m2-2280-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t3b0c) | $124.99 @ Newegg
**Case** | [Fractal Design Torrent ATX Mid Tower Case](https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BjqPxr/fractal-design-torrent-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-c-tor1a-01) | $204.98 @ Newegg
| Generated by [PCPartPicker](https://pcpartpicker.com) 2023-02-15 14:00 EST-0500 |

but it was basically just putting the stuff from the OP and I don't know which motherboard and RAM to add. I'm willing to put an actual graphics card, too, but there sure are a lot of them these days. I know this is pretty wide open, sorry. Where should I start?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Hakarne posted:

Circling back to this, looking at AMD's specs for the 5800X3D it says the max memory speed is DDR4-3200. So I guess specifically for that CPU there's no point in going faster than that which is nice and keeps things cheap(er) for peak performance.

That must have been from launch or JEDEC speeds or something, because the 5800X3D definitely runs faster than that. Mine hass 4x8GB sticks of DDR-3600 at the rated speed and timings using automatic XMP.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

power crystals posted:

Do you do a lot of productivity workloads? The 7700X is not a significant upgrade in performance in gaming over a 5800X3D (usually just a few percent at best, and I believe the 5800X3D actually wins in some specific titles), certainly not compared to the cost if you're already on AM4, so if you don't need the improvements in productivity I would very much recommend the 5800X3D.

I do a fair bit of EVE multiboxing and various other cpu-heavy poo poo from time to time. Not a lot of FPS games and even the 3700X is (imo) sufficient for FPS games combined with a 3070ti for a 38" UW.

5800X3D is nearly $400 here still, but I have seen some used 5800X for $220 and a used 5900X went for $280 today, which is pretty decent for :norway:

I guess I don't really have to upgrade anything at all, but I kinda feel like it :v:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Wibla posted:

I do a fair bit of EVE multiboxing and various other cpu-heavy poo poo from time to time. Not a lot of FPS games and even the 3700X is (imo) sufficient for FPS games combined with a 3070ti for a 38" UW.

5800X3D is nearly $400 here still, but I have seen some used 5800X for $220 and a used 5900X went for $280 today, which is pretty decent for :norway:

I guess I don't really have to upgrade anything at all, but I kinda feel like it :v:

As someone who's never opened eve in my life, my understanding is that multiboxing poo poo is going to need additional cores more than faster single cores, so that 5900X might actually be a decent deal. I still wouldn't go for AM5 anything in your situation, though, the value just isn't there.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

power crystals posted:

As someone who's never opened eve in my life, my understanding is that multiboxing poo poo is going to need additional cores more than faster single cores, so that 5900X might actually be a decent deal. I still wouldn't go for AM5 anything in your situation, though, the value just isn't there.

Yeah, I didn't jump on the 5900X quickly enough, it's gone :smith:

I suspect even reusing my current 3200MHz DDR4 in a 13-gen intel would be a better proposition than AM5 at this point, but I don't want to deal with Windows 11, sigh.

literally this big
Jan 10, 2007

Here comes
the Squirtle Squad!

Hakarne posted:

But what about a faster CPU? Intel's 13900 can support up to DDR5-5600. Would that be worth going for to maximize performance (cost being a prohibitive factor at some point, of course), or is there some point where games just won't have any better performance (and/or a point of greatly diminishing returns)?

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Looking a to replace the fans on my EK Basic 240 AIO. Are there any that will cool better and also be quieter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

If you can deal with an extra 5mm of thickness, the Phanteks T30 is king

If you don't have that 5mm to spare then NF-A12x25

repiv fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 15, 2023