Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Just take the IT specialty I assume you have to another country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
I live in ireland now, which you don't need any kind of paperwork to move to (except a vet needs to do some easy ones for your pets). BUT it was pricey to be renting even an hour outside dublin. a few thousand for moving costs on top.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Jel Shaker posted:

they invented fish and chips the last time they were kicked out en mass so maybe they are the true brits when you think about it

now THIS is antisemitism

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin

Zeroisanumber posted:

Most hosed up thing about the UK's housing market is that whole thing where you don't own the land your house is on and have to pay some aristo to lease it. That's loving bananas!

i'm sorry, what?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Just hit the bricks, anyone can do it

* does not apply to disabled people

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

samcarsten posted:

i'm sorry, what?

Leasehold is when some rich wanker says you can build a house on some land, and you own the house but not the land its built on, with potential consequences that nobody can predict!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

samcarsten posted:

i'm sorry, what?

Seriously, a shitload of land in England is owned by some artsto fuckwit whose ancestors were granted it generations ago. They let you build a house on the land, but they charge you to lease it. It's absolute madness and I don't know why they put up with it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

samcarsten posted:

i'm sorry, what?

It's not really quite like that - you can buy a property and its land and own it forever (freehold) or you can buy a lease on a property, typically for 99 years, but not own the land, and pay ground rent to the land owner (leasehold)

If you buy a flat in a block of flats it's gonna be leasehold for obvious reasons, so it's quite common

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

lmao, should have expropriated your landlords.

It's a pleasant surprise to find out that UK isn't just some lovely monarchy in name but really did refuse to move during hundreds of years of social progress.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Lostconfused posted:

It's a pleasant surprise to find out that UK isn't just some lovely monarchy in name but really did refuse to move during hundreds of years of social progress.

The feudal system of land ownership was abolished in Scotland this century.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

endlessmonotony posted:

* does not apply to disabled people

Or people with families, or the large number of us who don't have in-demand skills. Like who the gently caress wants to exchange cleaning toilets on paedophile bog island for the same poo poo somewhere else but without a support network

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Lostconfused posted:

We executed our king but some dipshit general invited the monarchy back in

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Microplastics posted:

It's not really quite like that - you can buy a property and its land and own it forever (freehold) or you can buy a lease on a property, typically for 99 years, but not own the land, and pay ground rent to the land owner (leasehold)

If you buy a flat in a block of flats it's gonna be leasehold for obvious reasons, so it's quite common

And by quite common he means a large majority of properties, including houses.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Zeroisanumber posted:

Seriously, a shitload of land in England is owned by some artsto fuckwit whose ancestors were granted it generations ago. They let you build a house on the land, but they charge you to lease it. It's absolute madness and I don't know why they put up with it.

Ultimately, the monarch owns all the land in the UK and all other title derives from that. Freeholders 'own' the land and don't have to pay rent on it. Leaseholders may or may not own part of the land depending on the lease - most flat dwellers do not.

Normally it's irrelevant unless at some point no one owns the land/property at which point it reverts to the Crown.

It's only been compulsory to register a title to the land since 1990 so if a property hasn't changed hands since then, then it may well be unregistered. At one point there was a push to get all land registered by 2000 - hahahadiha. I once received a damming audit report from some 12-year old auditor because half our estate (organisation I worked for, not my family!) was unregistered because they - the auditor - was clueless and didn't know that it was because we'd been Willed the property for about 300 years and the title deeds specified the location as something like 'the field to the north of the cows in the eastern field where you can hear the bells of St Pauls on a Sunday afternoon if the wind is blowing in the right direction'. (Property now in central London!) Now, if it isn't registered, it gets registered when it is sold.

Case in point: in the last high winds, we had a dead tree blow down off the riverbank adjacent our flats causing a bit of damage to the roof slates (luckily not much). The land turns out to be unregistered and we haven't been able to locate the owner (not the county council, not the relevant Rivers authority) to get our £240 back (below our insurance excess). The land on which the flats stand was sold to the developers in the 1980s before the relevant date.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Ultimately, the monarch owns all the land in the UK and all other title derives from that. Freeholders 'own' the land and don't have to pay rent on it. Leaseholders may or may not own part of the land depending on the lease - most flat dwellers do not.

Normally it's irrelevant unless at some point no one owns the land/property at which point it reverts to the Crown.

It's only been compulsory to register a title to the land since 1990 so if a property hasn't changed hands since then, then it may well be unregistered. At one point there was a push to get all land registered by 2000 - hahahadiha. I once received a damming audit report from some 12-year old auditor because half our estate (organisation I worked for, not my family!) was unregistered because they - the auditor - was clueless and didn't know that it was because we'd been Willed the property for about 300 years and the title deeds specified the location as something like 'the field to the north of the cows in the eastern field where you can hear the bells of St Pauls on a Sunday afternoon if the wind is blowing in the right direction'. (Property now in central London!) Now, if it isn't registered, it gets registered when it is sold.

Case in point: in the last high winds, we had a dead tree blow down off the riverbank adjacent our flats causing a bit of damage to the roof slates (luckily not much). The land turns out to be unregistered and we haven't been able to locate the owner (not the county council, not the relevant Rivers authority) to get our £240 back (below our insurance excess). The land on which the flats stand was sold to the developers in the 1980s before the relevant date.

Yeah. This is completely batshit.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

It's also sometimes used as the british equivalent of American HOAs, except with a landowner involved either instead of or alongside representatives.

e: From my understanding it works out as somewhat less insane in terms of rules and such. That is unless you get unlucky and get a very unreasonable freeholder/lease terms.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 05:35 on Feb 14, 2023

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Private Speech posted:

And by quite common he means a large majority of properties, including houses.

If 20% is a large majority, sure.

There was a spate of leasehold estates in the last two decades but this was still unusual for houses built for private ownership and caused a bit of a campaign to shame house builders into stopping it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Wait until the Americans in this thread hear about that whole leasehold peppercorn thing :laugh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1625390646398791682?t=fuOXAKrBJQeQhrVy4hNVow&s=19

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Fairly sure peppers are illegal in the UK

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Of all the things they could attack the government for it's this they've chosen

https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/1625136069678190593?t=6oc5pDc0AVW5fbD6s1zojg&s=19

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Leasehold/freehold is ridiculous and creates completely stupid problems like some company in the Cayman Islands buying out the freehold then deciding that the building needs "repairs" that will cost a million and that conveniently will be done by their repairs arm and no you may not see the surveys actually.

Round me there's some weird situation where this one family owns all the freeholds to the land the houses are on and keeps parcelling bits off and building more houses on them and all the local residents hate them because it makes the parking even worse than it already is. tbh though if they got rid of some of the badly maintained front gardens and just put driveways in about 75% of the problem would go away. That and got the guy that uses a transit van and an estate car parked on the road to store the overflow from his hoarding to stop it.

Anyway didn't Gove say that leasehold was going to be abolished as a manifesto promise?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Betjeman posted:

There was a spate of leasehold estates in the last two decades but this was still unusual for houses built for private ownership and caused a bit of a campaign to shame house builders into stopping it.

Aye, leaseholds are more common in London from my incredibly unscientific looking around Rightmove, and that's because dizzying amounts of the capital are owned by people like the Duke of Westminster who owns Mayfair & Belgravia, or Earl Cadogan who owns most of Chelsea or Baroness Howard de Walden who owns big chunks of Marylebone (like Harley Street, famous for lots of expensive private doctors)

It's thoroughly hosed up. Country is overdue a cleansing revolution by a millenia

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It rules seeing Labour outflanked on the left by budget limey Fox News

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

forkboy84 posted:

Aye, leaseholds are more common in London from my incredibly unscientific looking around Rightmove, and that's because dizzying amounts of the capital are owned by people like the Duke of Westminster who owns Mayfair & Belgravia, or Earl Cadogan who owns most of Chelsea or Baroness Howard de Walden who owns big chunks of Marylebone (like Harley Street, famous for lots of expensive private doctors)

It's thoroughly hosed up. Country is overdue a cleansing revolution by a millenia

Lots of old council terraces are still leasehold as well. Councils got smart to selling the freeholds off for practically nothing and now require a payment of the "marriage value" of 50% of the anticipated gain from making improvements e.g. if you could add a loft conversion and make 50k, they'd charge you 25k to buy the freehold out.

You need all tenants in the building to agree as well, so upstairs/downstairs in a terrace (but downstairs wouldn't pay for the benefit from a theoretical loft).

Iirc the ground rent on these is pretty tiny though.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
The government is powerless to stop companies charging you for dumping turds into your water supply

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Betjeman posted:

Ahh okay, I was going off property offers I see which are usually/often leasehold, but I guess it doesn't apply to owners in general.

That's kind of good to hear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I have a leasehold and the freehold is owned by a housing association. I pay an annual fee that sits in a bank account and goes towards property repairs

They're extremely poo poo about collecting the money and I don't think I've remembered to pay for multiple years but they never chased me up about it lol

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Jose posted:

They're extremely poo poo about collecting the money and I don't think I've remembered to pay for multiple years but they never chased me up about it lol

This was me - freeholder of my previous flat was an utter loving oval office and he never chased ground rent so sometimes I just didn't pay. When it came time to sell and move and the conveyancer asked him for confirmation that I was paid up, he just didn't respond. Rather than getting what he was owed, his obstinacy ensured he got gently caress all because he was just treated as an absent freeholder.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

It rules seeing Labour outflanked on the left by budget limey Fox News

that’s good morning britain not GB news, it’s supposed to be a light hearted breakfast news show for the morning but instead is just a gaping maw of horror at the slow collapse of the country

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

learned about ground rent today

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Jose posted:

Of all the things they could attack the government for it's this they've chosen

https://twitter.com/labourpress/status/1625136069678190593?t=6oc5pDc0AVW5fbD6s1zojg&s=19

Sorry to be that guy but with the poll lead they now have Labour don't need to convince anyone to vote for them.

Instead they will focus on dissuading hardcore (soft) Tories from voting, this might also have the 'benefit' of also solidifying the recently converted.

The next Labour government is gonna suck so much. They will have the mandate to do anything and everything but will do nothing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

notaspy posted:

Sorry to be that guy but with the poll lead they now have Labour don't need to convince anyone to vote for them.

Instead they will focus on dissuading hardcore (soft) Tories from voting, this might also have the 'benefit' of also solidifying the recently converted.

The next Labour government is gonna suck so much. They will have the mandate to do anything and everything but will do nothing.

It's already come back to bite them because Angela Rayner has been forced to defend her spending lol

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

Private Speech posted:

It's also sometimes used as the british equivalent of American HOAs, except with a landowner involved either instead of or alongside representatives.

e: From my understanding it works out as somewhat less insane in terms of rules and such. That is unless you get unlucky and get a very unreasonable freeholder/lease terms.

Restrictive covenants have got you covered there. Most of them generally stipulate things like "no caravans in the front garden" rather than maximum length of grass, though. Covenants on housing estates are only really enforced while the developer is still actively selling houses on the estate (they're there to protect profits, not for the benefit of residents)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Microplastics posted:

Wait until the Americans in this thread hear about that whole leasehold peppercorn thing :laugh:

My flat lease is 199 years on a peppercorn and we, the leaseholders, are also the freeholders. (Quite rare in the UK).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
When I sold my London flat I had to buy some kind of insurance of indemnity thing for the buyers in case the ground rent was raised suddenly or something. Was a few hundred, peanuts when it comes to other costs involved in house selling. Also nobody said anything about needing it when I was buying so idk.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

gonadic io posted:

When I sold my London flat I had to buy some kind of insurance of indemnity thing for the buyers in case the ground rent was raised suddenly or something. Was a few hundred, peanuts when it comes to other costs involved in house selling. Also nobody said anything about needing it when I was buying so idk.

It could have been chancellery insurance which is another UK feudal quirk where the local church can force you to pay for its repairs under idk the terms of the Domesday book or something.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Nah def wasn't, but lol. It was specifically about ground rent to the lease holders.

Turtle Watch
Jul 30, 2010

by Games Forum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I once received a damming audit report from some 12-year old auditor because half our estate (organisation I worked for, not my family!) was unregistered because they - the auditor - was clueless

Even if they aren’t good at their job I’m still impressed by that twelve-year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's the next step after failing to convince the 60 year olds to come back to work