Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

By the way, Edgeworth saying he's a fan?

An official extra comic speaks for itself:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
He really is a fan of WP's work :allears:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

It does partially explain Edgeworth's attitude this trial.
His inner 10 year old was raising hell because no, we're not chucking the Steel Samurai in death row when he's clearly innocent.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

The line that launched a thousand ships.

I am on one of the ships, it's the best goddamn ship

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Unnecessary annoying feelings, Edgeworth? I know a squirrel voiced by ProZD who could help you with that…

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Bifauxnen posted:

The line that launched a thousand ships.

I am on one of the ships, it's the best goddamn ship

Unnecessary feelings is the backbone on which the entire fandom rests.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I remember reading a comment from someone who played a German translation of the game, and they said that that line was translated in such a way so that there wasn't as much... implied as it is in the English translation.

For shame!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

Samovar posted:

I remember reading a comment from someone who played a German translation of the game, and they said that that line was translated in such a way so that there wasn't as much... implied as it is in the English translation.

For shame!

And now I'm curious about the original Japanifornian line.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So here's where I'm going to make an unconventional recommendation that might not be the most intuitive thing and a bunch of people might disagree with. I assume you're already a decent chunk of the way into recording the next case at this point, but here goes:

I think you should skip Rise From the Ashes for now. That's the case after this next one, if you haven't encountered it yet, the one that was added for the DS rerelease and was not in the original. There are two reasons for this - first, it's extremely long, a huge gauntlet to get through, and second, I honestly think the way it's inserted into the game actually weakens some of the plot beats in the next game if played now. I don't know if the thread will agree with me, but I honestly think that case is best played after finishing the second game (or even the third, if you like). I'm a big fan of playing things in release order, and Rise From the Ashes was actually released after the full trilogy was complete.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

That's not a bad idea, honestly. 1-5 is a great case, but it would fit in better thematically and mechanically after the third game.

DKII
Oct 21, 2010

theshim posted:

So here's where I'm going to make an unconventional recommendation that might not be the most intuitive thing and a bunch of people might disagree with. I assume you're already a decent chunk of the way into recording the next case at this point, but here goes:

I think you should skip Rise From the Ashes for now. That's the case after this next one, if you haven't encountered it yet, the one that was added for the DS rerelease and was not in the original. There are two reasons for this - first, it's extremely long, a huge gauntlet to get through, and second, I honestly think the way it's inserted into the game actually weakens some of the plot beats in the next game if played now. I don't know if the thread will agree with me, but I honestly think that case is best played after finishing the second game (or even the third, if you like). I'm a big fan of playing things in release order, and Rise From the Ashes was actually released after the full trilogy was complete.

That's an interesting idea. It looks like the other LP of the first game already did that episode, so I'd probably be willing to leave it be for now.

Especially since it seems like Episode 4 was really set up to be the concluding episode - it'll probably have more punch if it remains presented that way.

I'm going to take a small break here anyway - next update will be Feb 27th.

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

Rise from the Ashes was made purely as a tie in for the 4th game in the series, and one that isn't necessary. I don't really consider the events of the episode canon, it doesn't even have Turnabout in the name.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

It's definitely canon. It's also a very good case! It's 100% worth playing, but there's value in considering playing it after the first trilogy, yeah.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
It's got merit, but it's also insanely long and a bit of a drag by the time you get to the end of it.

It also has some of the stupidest solutions in the entire series.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I would just go ahead and play it IMO

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
For what it's worth, I played it in the order the games now present it in and thought that was fine.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
While I agree that From The Ashes is long and convoluted, I would defer to more experienced players and the LPer ultimately on when it should be put in an LP. Turnabout Goodbyes is a great case and, yeah, it’s this game’s conclusion. I look forward to seeing it in this LP after the break.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

theshim posted:

I could see this. RftA is massive.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have no strong opinion either way, mostly because I don't want to say anything that might pre-influence anyone because I think it's cool that this is a completely blind LP. I say we avoid any kind of even vague allusions to the details of the case, like whatever you think of day 2 or a specific event flag or whatever, and just leave it at "it was written after the first trilogy, is long, and sort of breaks up the pacing of the original storyline."

For my two cents, do whatever seems to make sense after Turnabout Goodbyes, I'll be reading the thread either way.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

I don't think length is really a concern when doing an LP? DKII has been enjoying the game so far and I don't think there's anything in that case that would make them start not enjoying it, and hell, I didn't even notice the length myself back when I played it. For it's place in the greater overall canon, I guess it might fit better after the other games? But I don't think it would really cause problems if you played it now.

Overall though, my biggest concern is how confusing not doing it right now might be. Like, maybe this is just me, but it just seems odd to potentially have a Phoenix Wright 1 LP that doesn't actually cover everything in Phoenix Wright 1, and then to have a Phoenix Wright 2/3 LP that suddenly includes something from Phoenix Wright 1.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Yeah I'll be happy either way, honestly. Very much enjoying this LP. Enjoy your break, see you on the 27th!

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
I can definitely see the merit in skipping RftA for right now, though not because of length, but because the next game will have a little extra impact if you do, and Turnabout Goodbyes was the original closer of the first Phoenix Wright.

That said, the case still slots into the experience without issue, and there is at least one plot related element in the next game that I find hits far, far better if you play RftA first. Ultimately, I say go with whatever option you prefer, OP.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

DKII posted:

I'm going to take a small break here anyway - next update will be Feb 27th.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

serefin99 posted:

that suddenly includes something from Phoenix Wright 1.

Except it's not from Phoenix Wright 1, it was made after 3 as a prequel to 4 and slapped on at the end of the DS Port so the game would have 5 cases. Nothing in it will be relevant to the rest of the trilogy.

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

rfta has some of my favorite sprites ever made please hurry so i can post a man slowly blinking at you

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

ChaosStar0 posted:

Except it's not from Phoenix Wright 1, it was made after 3 as a prequel to 4 and slapped on at the end of the DS Port so the game would have 5 cases. Nothing in it will be relevant to the rest of the trilogy.

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge. You can argue its place in the continuity all you want, but if someone is actually playing the games, they will see it in Phoenix Wright 1. It's from Phoenix Wright 1.

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.

serefin99 posted:

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge. You can argue its place in the continuity all you want, but if someone is actually playing the games, they will see it in Phoenix Wright 1. It's from Phoenix Wright 1.

It's on a Phoenix Wright 1 cartridge, certainly. As to whether or not somebody playing the games is going to see it there, that depends on if they're playing the original or one of the later console releases.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

serefin99 posted:

It's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds remake card and all subsequent releases. It is, in fact, not on the Phoenix Wright 1 cart.

They did put it in the Phoenix Wright 1 section of the collection though.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

It's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds remake card and all subsequent releases. It is, in fact, not on the Phoenix Wright 1 cart.

They did put it in the Phoenix Wright 1 section of the collection though.

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 DS cart, I don't have anything beyond the first one.

Zerbin7
Oct 15, 2014

It's a living.
Yeah, put me down as someone who likes case 1-5 right after 1-4. While I could see the seams where it was inserted after someone pointed it out to me, I definitely didn't notice my first time through on the DS. I thought that I just got really lucky and that the last, last case was a doozy.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

apostateCourier posted:

It is on the Phoenix Wright 1 DS cart, I don't have anything beyond the first one.

What they’re actually trying to say is that it’s not on the original GBA cart.

I don’t particularly care either way but I will admit to finding 1-5 tedious and would be fine with OP moving onto JFA faster. :shrug:

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි
The faster we get to Turnabout Big Top, the better.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

wologar posted:

The faster we get to Turnabout Big Top, the better.

:hmmno:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

apostateCourier posted:

Nah, it's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds card. Phoenix Wright 1 was a gba game that didn't leave Japan. Rise from ashes was made as a bonus for the collection which is noticeable in that it has a bunch of ds features that get brought into play for it and it alone in the original trilogy. Well that, and it's relatively disconnected from the original trilogy and serves more as a prequel for the ds game than a part of the trio. That's the whole reason people are able to argue for and against it going where Capcom put it.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, it's on the Phoenix Wright trilogy ds card. Phoenix Wright 1 was a gba game that didn't leave Japan. Rise from ashes was made as a bonus for the collection which is noticeable in that it has a bunch of ds features that get brought into play for it and it alone in the original trilogy. Well that, and it's relatively disconnected from the original trilogy and serves more as a prequel for the ds game than a part of the trio. That's the whole reason people are able to argue for and against it going where Capcom put it.

Uh, my dude? I genuinely think you're confused here. Yes, there is a DS cart for Phoenix Wright 1 and just Phoenix Wright 1. Here's an Amazon listing for it: https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-3

And just for reference's sake, here's listings for the other two games as well:
https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-1
https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-2

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

serefin99 posted:

Uh, my dude? I genuinely think you're confused here. Yes, there is a DS cart for Phoenix Wright 1 and just Phoenix Wright 1. Here's an Amazon listing for it: https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-3

And just for reference's sake, here's listings for the other two games as well:
https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-1
https://smile.amazon.com/Phoenix-Wr...ps%2C263&sr=8-2

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It goes:
- Phoenix Wright 1 - 2001, GBA, Japan only
- Phoenix Wright 2 - 2002, GBA, Japan only
- Phoenix Wright 3 - 2004, GBA, Japan only
- Phoenix Wright 1 - 2005, DS, Worldwide, includes Rise from Ashes
- Phoenix Wright 2 - 2006, DS, Worldwide
- Phoenix Wright 3 - 2007, DS, Worldwide
... a bunch of other re-releases ...
- Phoenix Wright Trilogy - 2014, 3DS, has 1, 2, and 3 in the same cart with Rise from Ashes with the 1 cases

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Yes, and?

There is a Phoenix Wright 1 DS cart. One that contains Rise from the Ashes. FoolyCharged sounds like they're saying there isn't one.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
No, they don't; you're misreading the post. They're saying that RftA is on the DS cart, but the DS cart was not the original release of Phoenix Wright 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosStar0
Apr 6, 2021

This is like how any non-fan westerner who hears someone talk about the first Fire Emblem, will think of Blazing Sword, which was the first one we got and was labeled as just Fire Emblem.