Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Bumhead posted:

This is my concern. If I'm not head over heels impressed with Black Mesa now, I don't know how much drive I have to push through to see a Xen that many still regard as a slog (isn't Interloper literally hours long now?)

The battle with the Gonarch does indeed last forever. That was where I tapped out, I think I was a solid hour in and just bored.

Up to then was really good though. The updated Surface Tension was incredible start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Gonarch fight is bad. The beginning portions of Xen are nice, but Interloper up to the end are horrendous and feel like they were made 5 years before the rest of the content and should’ve been cut.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Gonarch fight is bad. The beginning portions of Xen are nice, but Interloper up to the end are horrendous and feel like they were made 5 years before the rest of the content and should’ve been cut.

That's accurate to the original game!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Xen is fun for like the first 15 minutes and then it keeps going for 5 hours and ends with a terrible boss fight. I loved all that came before it, though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I love the look and gameplay elements of Xen but it overstays its welcome way too long. The Garg chase sequence is comical with how long it is and loses all of its tension.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does RDR2 upload to the Steam cloud? I’m thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling because it won’t connect to the Rockstar Social Club, robbing me of the ability to play the game I legally bought from them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sigher posted:

I love the look and gameplay elements of Xen but it overstays its welcome way too long. The Garg chase sequence is comical with how long it is and loses all of its tension.

Yeah up until then I liked Xen quite a bit, it's beautiful and nowhere near as annoying as in the original game. I have no idea what the gently caress they were thinking with an hour+ long boss.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does RDR2 upload to the Steam cloud? I’m thinking of uninstalling and reinstalling because it won’t connect to the Rockstar Social Club, robbing me of the ability to play the game I legally bought from them.
Gotta love DRM, actively preventing people from playing the game they paid for while pirates continue to not give a single poo poo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
it also fucks with, or rather disallows family sharing

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I liked Black Mesa a lot overall but I don't know why they decided that Xen needed to be longer. Instead I still hate Xen in the remake but for different reasons than the original.

I'm finding the Deck perfect for Hitman 3, played it a lot on desktop already and it's even easier to just jump on and do a mission portably.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I downloaded Hitman III to see how it ran and was shocked that the tutorial level was at a reliable 60. Seriously impressive.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Playing left 4 dead 2 on the deck is making me wish all fps games felt as good on a controller as killing floor 2.

E: dropping a lot of frames on the recommended settings

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The hell is up with not being able to select categories? I click on something like "RPG" in the store, but when I hit down it shifts back to whatever the first option is on the page. My Xbox controller won't connect either despite being plugged in through a dock, but I read I should try some update for that first at least.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Does another have experience with having two decks and using family share? Thinking of getting one for my wife primarily for emulation, but I have a few games in my library that she wants to play as well. I assume it's the same or similar to family share between PCs, but I couldn't get any real confirmation through the Google.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Parallelwoody posted:

The hell is up with not being able to select categories? I click on something like "RPG" in the store, but when I hit down it shifts back to whatever the first option is on the page.

I have the same issue

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skeematic posted:

Does another have experience with having two decks and using family share? Thinking of getting one for my wife primarily for emulation, but I have a few games in my library that she wants to play as well. I assume it's the same or similar to family share between PCs, but I couldn't get any real confirmation through the Google.

I believe if you put the other Deck into offline mode and play games on it someone else should be able to access your games since Steam doesn't know.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

sigher posted:

I believe if you put the other Deck into offline mode and play games on it someone else should be able to access your games since Steam doesn't know.

I was thinking about this a few days ago since you could buy a game, download it to the deck, go offline, refund the game, beat it then flash the deck. matthew lesko moment

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

jokes posted:

I have the same issue

Also, if you scroll too quickly in your wishlist, OR select a game from it, go to its store page, and go back to the wishlist, your scroll directions are reversed. Or sometimes you lose your place and your selection is way above where the screen is, so no matter what direction you're scrolling the screen goes up to meet your new selection, which is the first game on your wishlist.

The wishlist is, currently, the worst part of Steam on the deck. You can't even sort stuff properly.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Browsing the store is so bad, it's almost as bad as the eShop on Switch. I usually just buy stuff on my phone, it's way less hassle.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sigher posted:

That is exactly how it works. I have my Steam library shared to some friends, and when we want to play some of my games at the same time, I just set my Steam Deck to offline mode and play offline, while they remain connected to Steam for the family share.

So: Steam Deck where the account holder is logged in: offline. It's still your account so you can play all your games (no online stuff of course). Steam deck logged into an account that is family sharing from the original account: online.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
has anyone tried crash 4 or teardown on the deck? i've got my eye on both.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Is there a way to copy a control scheme from one game to another automatically? Dusk controls and feels pretty much perfect out of the box and I want to make that the feel for all my fps games.

E: probably not, turns out dusk has actual controller support and that’s why it works so well

RandolphCarter fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 14, 2023

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

Is there a way to copy a control scheme from one game to another automatically? Dusk controls and feels pretty much perfect out of the box and I want to make that the feel for all my fps games.

I *think* you can save your setup as your own custom control setting and you might be able to pull that up and apply it while playing a different game.

Edit: yep, solved by Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ua7li4/how_do_i_share_my_custom_control_scheme_across/

Read the comments, but essentially, take your layout, export it as a template, then reboot.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 14, 2023

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I *think* you can save your setup as your own custom control setting and you might be able to pull that up and apply it while playing a different game.

Edit: yep, solved by Reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/ua7li4/how_do_i_share_my_custom_control_scheme_across/

Read the comments, but essentially, take your layout, export it as a template, then reboot.

good info! desktop mode only, right?

there needs to be an easier way to work with controller templates in a modular way. for example, i don't really play keyboard games because i don't want to bother making separate controller layouts for everything. i want to make one hotkey menu for the 1-0 keys and just bind it to the left trackpad in every keyboard game, while using a community layout as the basis of it. but you can't import one saved element like that.

maybe i'll get a bluetooth tenkey.

tho it wouldn't do much good while holding the deck

my dream of playing all the keyboard games without a keyboard remains just out of grasp. because it's kinda difficult to set em all up.

i need to find a way to bind the windows key to the steam key. anybody figured that out yet?
i need to figure out whats causing this bluetooth interference
i need to figure out why decky didnt install right
i need to set up a separate sd card with emu and romhacks
need to peruse the last pages and update op

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Mescal posted:

there needs to be an easier way to work with controller templates in a modular way. for example, i don't really play keyboard games because i don't want to bother making separate controller layouts for everything. i want to make one hotkey menu for the 1-0 keys and just bind it to the left trackpad in every keyboard game, while using a community layout as the basis of it. but you can't import one saved element like that.

my dream of playing all the keyboard games without a keyboard remains just out of grasp. because it's kinda difficult to set em all up.

i need to find a way to bind the windows key to the steam key. anybody figured that out yet?

No, why would it be desktop mode only? Even if it was, making a template there would allow it to be a template in Steam mode.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Mescal posted:

Idk I don't really see the point in having one big numpad binding that you use in every game, if they're all going to be doing different things depending on the game. That's not really how any of this poo poo works. Like the ideal way this poo poo gets bound, and the way I think you're going to increasingly see things work, is at no point do any of your buttons get bound to keyboard/gamepad buttons but instead discrete Steam Input actions. See: Oxygen Not Included or Civ6 or any of Valves games. That's more or less the mentality that all the best community layouts are made with also. There's not much room for one true universal layout.

But it is very easy, to export your own templates and apply those to games, though.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

The more I play my deck the more annoyed I get at how noisy it is just holding it. If I squeeze too hard on the right side I get a loud creak, the left trigger makes a springy noise and a clack when I fully pull it down, and now the left joystick feels like there is a rough spot sometimes when I use it. Everything works so I’m not to the point that I think I should rma, just annoyed that my knock off Chinese joycons feel so much better in hand than the deck.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I might get one of this Bluetooth ten keys to use as a mini keyboard. Should be enough keys to cover the basics of any fps

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

homeless snail posted:

Idk I don't really see the point in having one big numpad binding that you use in every game, if they're all going to be doing different things depending on the game. That's not really how any of this poo poo works. Like the ideal way this poo poo gets bound, and the way I think you're going to increasingly see things work, is at no point do any of your buttons get bound to keyboard/gamepad buttons but instead discrete Steam Input actions. See: Oxygen Not Included or Civ6 or any of Valves games. That's more or less the mentality that all the best community layouts are made with also. There's not much room for one true universal layout.

But it is very easy, to export your own templates and apply those to games, though.

Steam Input actions are the future. somebody should have come up with it in the past, but oh well.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They've been around for about 10 years, there's a fair number of games that use them

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

loudog999 posted:

The more I play my deck the more annoyed I get at how noisy it is just holding it. If I squeeze too hard on the right side I get a loud creak, the left trigger makes a springy noise and a clack when I fully pull it down, and now the left joystick feels like there is a rough spot sometimes when I use it.

Same on all points, but I still love the thing. Bonus sound: if the system rubs on certain blankets or clothes I have it makes this squeaking noise. Not bad on its own but not something I'm used to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

homeless snail posted:

On desktop Steam it’s no longer possible to move personal templates between games (or I haven’t figured out how). But I don’t think this is the intended behavior.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Steam Input is great, but it's been buggy as poo poo on the past few client updates. They need to QA that stuff more.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s really bad and probably the biggest thing they need to fix. The way you browse community templates is dogshit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Also whenever you update the control scheme it forgets where all your virtual menus are assigned across your action layers.

And they're tied to the game name so if you rename your game in Steam it forgets everything lol. No worries though just rename it again and they're all back!

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is it possible to get Blizzard PC games rolling on the Steam Deck? Diablo 2: Resurrected is $13 today. It would be a chill time if it can launch and work with a controller.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ragequit posted:

Is it possible to get Blizzard PC games rolling on the Steam Deck? Diablo 2: Resurrected is $13 today. It would be a chill time if it can launch and work with a controller.

Last I checked the answer to this (and other blizz games) is yes but it’s a pain in the rear end and Blizzard has broken support a couple of times already but then people figure out how to get it running again. No idea where support currently stands but if you do a youtube search for it chances are you’ll find a guide.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Ragequit posted:

It is possible. Here’s the short version, because it does require some fuckery.

Download the bnet installer in desktop mode. Add it as a non-steam game and run the installer inside steam. Once it’s installed, don’t do anything with it.

Open the properties of the non-steam app you added to install bnet. You need to change the location to point inside the proton folder it created on the install to the battle.net launcher exe. You’ll need a tutorial for this, because the folder it’s in is named a bunch of gibberish bullshit.

Once the shortcut is pointing at the right thing you can run bnet and install whatever games and launch them from there.

It’s not too bad all things considered.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It has native controller support and plays reasonably well with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oh, Diablo 2 has controller support on PC? Afaik D3 never got controller support so I figured support for D2 was a crapshoot and got them on Switch when they dipped super low last holiday season.