Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

I too don't understand this

Something about gas poisoning making them crazy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Yeah carbon monoxide poisoning affects your cognition. Obviously I wouldn't laugh at you for not knowing that, just at him because he knows jack poo poo about anything else

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

E: I can't believe you've done this.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Also you probably did know that so apologies if I came across as patronizing.

Basically the guy is a quisling twat

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Anyone claiming white pudding is disgusting is a fool, a buffoon, and has never had a good proper Irish breakfast / fry. A good quality white pudding is a thing of magnificence

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do want to try that welsh seaweed breakfast thing, just possibly not for actual breakfast.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

forkboy84 posted:

I think part of it is just it tastes likes home. Part of it is undoubtedly they've always had effective ad campaigns, like Irn Bru, Made From Girders. Until relatively recently it was hard to find even in England, never mind the rest of the world, so if you were drinking Irn Bru you were probably in Scotland

Well this is a load of rubbish! Irn Bru has been pretty commonplace in English shops for my entire life, which by the looks of your username is a pretty similar timeframe. I'd say the only real difference is that you'd never see Irn Bru on offer in a cafe or restaurant in England, but even your average convenience shop in buttfuck nowhere midlands has probably always had a can of 'Bru in its fridge.

Lord of the Llamas fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 14, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/GregHands/status/1625521395596681216

:toot:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Also you probably did know that so apologies if I came across as patronizing.

Basically the guy is a quisling twat

Yeah I did but no worries, the connection didn't occur to me. Maybe because he seemed more like a prick than demented, maybe because my boiler is out in the garage so at worst it's going to give CO poisoning to the rats that presumably chill out there

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I feel like if god was real and they sent people to hell for marrying someone of the same gender he's not going to be all 'oh a civil partnership, thats fine no hell for you' about it

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mr Phillby posted:

I feel like if god was real and they sent people to hell for marrying someone of the same gender he's not going to be all 'oh a civil partnership, thats fine no hell for you' about it

God is a friend to the taxman and believes in tax-advantaged cohabitation arrangements

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is the same brain that interprets "do not lie with another man as with a woman" as being specifically only about trans people rather than sex acts so I think he has a very special kind of brain.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol. This is the bare minimum, a modicum, of the poo poo that should be happening. The lack of will for a good riot in this country is a disgrace. I blame woke millennials and their avocado phones or something

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

smellmycheese posted:

Lol. This is the bare minimum, a modicum, of the poo poo that should be happening. The lack of will for a good riot in this country is a disgrace. I blame woke millennials and their avocado phones or something

Yup. I tweeted this back to him in response:

quote:

To be honest, I'm surprised that none of you lot have been strung from lampposts by now over your systematic genocide against the poor and the vulnerable.

Be thankful it's just a few windows that have been smashed.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
The Stormont Assembly has once again failed to elect a Speaker after the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) blocked the move.

The assembly met on Tuesday in a bid to pass a stalled organ donation law inspired by a six-year-old boy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-64625483

how fuckin low can you get

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Mr Phillby posted:

“This is very similar to the suggestion put forward by the Quirmian philosopher Ventre, who said, "Possibly the gods exist, and possibly they do not. So why not believe in them in any case? If it's all true you'll go to a lovely place when you die, and if it isn't then you've lost nothing, right?" When he died he woke up in a circle of gods holding nasty-looking sticks and one of them said, "We're going to show you what we think of Mr Clever Dick in these parts...” (Terry Pratchett, Hogfather)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

The Stormont Assembly has once again failed to elect a Speaker after the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) blocked the move.

The assembly met on Tuesday in a bid to pass a stalled organ donation law inspired by a six-year-old boy.

"gently caress them kids"

-Jeffrey Donaldson (probably)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

fuckin look at them lol

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
yon one middle left has a tiny puritan operating the controls in a compartment in his stomach

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

fuckin look at them lol

The one on the left in the middle row looks like he belongs in the cast of Shaun of the Dead. As one of the zombies.

Unrelated:

I saw on twitter some people going berserk over Down's Syndrome drag artists (basically along the lines of people with Downs are just 'eager to please' and will do what they're asked, and are being manipulated, and obviously those 'forcing' them to do this should be strung up etc and by no means did they choose to do this for themselves etc.). Little recognition that people with Downs have minds of their own and these days hold down jobs - including some teaching assistants etc as society has moved on in terms of providing more opportunities for people.

Anyway, so a bit more googling and they are a troop of performers and here is the tiktok.

https://www.tiktok.com/@dragsyndromeofficial

Further, went to their website https://www.dragsyndrome.com/ and find that their patron (not a patreon type patron) is none other than Robert Wyatt (former Soft Machine, Matching Mole drummer who was member of the RCP). (And yes, I checked it was that Robert Wyatt not someone with the same name).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 14, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

crispix posted:

This is the DUP, it's lowers all the way down. :pants:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

crispix posted:

Jeffrey is not going to go down in history as the first unionist in Stormont to submit to being second fiddle to a Fenian - it really is as simple as that. The Brexit bollocks over the protocol is a handy smokescreen

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mr Phillby posted:

That's all Leviticus, so the same god that can be tricked into thinking you're indoors with some BT surplus poles and wire.

Or at least goes along with it.

Then again this dumbass's interpretation of 'lie with' is so wrong that maybe he gets to spend eternity with every Hebrew and Greek scholar laughing at him forever just for that.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and at the end of the seventh day saith the Lord: that shall be just fine so long as the balls ne'er touch

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Isn't rules-lawyering God a tenet of the Jewish faith

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Galatians 3:28 posted:

There is no longer Jew or Greek; there is no longer slave or free; there is no longer male and female, for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Microplastics posted:

Isn't rules-lawyering God a tenet of the Jewish faith
Yes, but you have to be scholarly and good at it. He's doing the equivalent of claiming he doesn't need to pay and display because he's legally a boat by the manga carter.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Not sure I'd trust Galactus.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

crispix posted:

Absolute scum bastards.
Sorry kid, can't help you here, as it would mean talking to Taigs as equals.
Hope we have enough drugs for your palliative care!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The one on the left in the middle row looks like he belongs in the cast of Shaun of the Dead. As one of the zombies.

Unrelated:

I saw on twitter some people going berserk over Down's Syndrome drag artists (basically along the lines of people with Downs are just 'eager to please' and will do what they're asked, and are being manipulated, and obviously those 'forcing' them to do this should be strung up etc and by no means did they choose to do this for themselves etc.). Little recognition that people with Downs have minds of their own and these days hold down jobs - including some teaching assistants etc as society has moved on in terms of providing more opportunities for people.

Anyway, so a bit more googling and they are a troop of performers and here is the tiktok.

https://www.tiktok.com/@dragsyndromeofficial

Further, went to their website https://www.dragsyndrome.com/ and find that their patron (not a patreon type patron) is none other than Robert Wyatt (former Soft Machine, Matching Mole drummer who was member of the RCP). (And yes, I checked it was that Robert Wyatt not someone with the same name).

Can't imagine why people who are frequently stigmatized for their presentation to the world might enjoy performance art, where atypical presentation is accepted because of the concept of the stage being a place where the ordinary rules are suspended.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Is anyone else reading the thread title in the voice of Matt Berry?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lobster God posted:

Lol. Am now.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Matt Berry is the voice of Moominpapa in the CGI Moomins and its perfect

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I know there are regional variants but I've never seen a white pudding where the primary ingredients weren't pork, pork fat and oats in that order.

Having looked through the recipes for a bunch of White Puddings, I can conclude every one I saw on Tesco.ie's website was made from Pork.
(You can get ones made from Turkey meat, which my wife gets and quite likes. There are also plant based ones for Vegans.)
But I have never heard of beef based ones.

Also a unit of Black or White Pudding is called a Chub, which is frankly hilarious.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Lobster God posted:

bunk from the wire

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's an apocryphal story, usually from a friend who works for the council (the dad version of my uncle who works at Nintendo) which tells of how departments horde their budgets for the entire year and then frantically try to spend it all on potholes in feb / march, because if the department comes in under budget, the higher ups will cut the budget going forwards by whatever was left over - it's less that they'll have to give it back, and more that they'll permanently lose whatever the surplus amount was.

Bit of a throwback to much earlier in the thread and around the time of the offalfood debates, but anyway-
Councils aren't allowed to carry money over to the next year because any unspent budget is regarded as surplus to requirements and gets docked from next year's allocation. Departments will have a shopping list of loads of minor nice-to-haves that gets dragged out around February and used to exhaust the remaining budget on mini-roundabouts and traffic islands and so on. Councils are also limited in their ability to take on debt which is set by a code of practice.
In other words, they're forced to work within a very short term outlook of annual cash flow that requires a lot of administration to keep on track, provokes loads of weird behaviour around optimisation for an arbitrary spending target and severely limits any ability to do big picture stuff.
What's an interesting parallel is that this is the same model of government finance that the tories seem to be besotted with. Might be a useful way of disabusing people of the national credit card notion, rather than focussing on the economic facts, to simply point out that it means running the country like the council.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1625616291389120518?t=bpnQAWrC_dNiiPdSOXmi1A&s=19

Do it you cowards

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

The Question IRL posted:

Having looked through the recipes for a bunch of White Puddings, I can conclude every one I saw on Tesco.ie's website was made from Pork.
(You can get ones made from Turkey meat, which my wife gets and quite likes. There are also plant based ones for Vegans.)
But I have never heard of beef based ones.

Also a unit of Black or White Pudding is called a Chub, which is frankly hilarious.

Yep, the first white pudding on Tesco was this

It seems like a fairly bland makeup; the stuff from our local butcher has a lot more flavour in terms of added spices.

The goon who suggested it's a turgid mix of unflavoured beef suet is clearly wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Spoiler alert, they didn't do it and spurious justifications to deselect them or kick them from the party are found and suddenly a new party that could have had a solid base of 15-20 sitting MPs has none. Top job by the great political minds of the Labour left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

The goon who suggested it's a turgid mix of unflavoured beef suet is clearly wrong.

Maybe it's a south of the border thing. The one I ate - or at least had a bite of, the rest went in the bin - was basically deep fried porridge.