Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ulio posted:

There definitely are, I got to the final map and had poo poo units. I think my mistake was not switching over to newer units the game gives you, like Florina and her sisters. I also kept using Bartre/Dorcas which were terrible.
athos can solo the final map on his own

and also a leveled dorcas and bartre should be fine, they arent good units but enemy stats in fe7 are really low

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Like when I was a kid I thought I was in an unwinnable state on the last map of FE7 too.

Turns out if you just set it up for Athos to counterattack the Dragon it can't really do anything and you win easily by just healing him on your turn.

The previous part of the map I had Marcus and Athos basically take care of themselves because I was an idiot kid who had funneled almost all my kills into Marcus.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think it is hard to impossible to make a truly unwinnable situation in most FEs, but if you're bad enough at the game to put yourself in a situation where you think you're unwinnable you might be bad enough not to be able to find the solution.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Cythereal posted:

Leif is the only Emblem that grants passives that benefit knives. Specifically knife precision, the flat hit/avoid bonus with no drawback.

Strongly consider Leif if you have Merrin, Yunaka, or someone else who relies on knives as a main damage dealer on your team.

He's particularly nasty on a Covert class, because when you use Quad Hit as a covert class, you have a Luck % chance to bilk 1k gold out of the victim.

Wait, I thought those passive skills only applied when you inherited them, not when it was equipped?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

athos can solo the final map on his own

and also a leveled dorcas and bartre should be fine, they arent good units but enemy stats in fe7 are really low

Fun fact about fe7 enemy strength:

As a kid on my first playthrough I basically didn't use Hector. The deployment cap of the limatella map is really high though so for some reason I've long forgotten I deployed him, as a level 9 unpromoted unit in the second to last map of the game

Hector was strong enough relative to the enemies to do something useful, level up, and promote

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Endorph posted:

yeah i really dont know what wrong units could make the game unwinnable or even hard. the prepromotes in fe7 are basically busted to a unit.

Isadora

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Shinon is racist to Lyre and that’s a good thing. She should have more people telling her to leave the army.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is one of the best units in the game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

by which i mean shes the worst cav in the game but that still makes her top 12 or so

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Isadora is probably the worst of them and even she is viable, if, say, you insist on using the one woman who can wield axes in that game. At least on normal mode. Her strength and HP are bad, but she is still a paladin and also the fastest and dodgiest of those.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Reik posted:

Wait, I thought those passive skills only applied when you inherited them, not when it was equipped?

You get the passive skills for just equipping a ring. Inheriting is for if you want a particular passive without having to use the ring.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avalerion posted:

You get the passive skills for just equipping a ring. Inheriting is for if you want a particular passive without having to use the ring.

Not things like Knife Precision, though. Those you have to actually inherit. The only skills you get for equipping the ring are the ones that actually appear in the skill list in blue in the Inventory screen.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's Three types of ring skills. (This is explained very poorly).

There's ones that only apply when engaged, and are not inheritable.
There's ones that apply just for having the ring equipped, and are inheritable, but don't stack
There's ones that you don't get for having the ring at all--you just unlock the ability to inherit them by leveling up your bond rating

In addition, and perhaps a bit confusingly, the stat boosts you get from a ring go up as your bond increases, separately from and stacking with the inheritable stat+N skills

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Harrow posted:

I actually wonder if they stack, like if you inherit Luck +12 and also wear the Byleth ring do you get +24 Luck?

They do, however any individual stat has an absolute cap to (out of combat) bonuses of +20. This includes stuff like meals/tonics, byleth's rally, etc.

It doesn't include skills like Hector's 30% def/res boost when attacked, since that's in combat only.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 14, 2023

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Yeah people before me really covered the major points I would make

I’m just going to add that Awakening was also my first fire emblem and I only went back to finally play the gba ones afterwards (I don’t really know why I waited so long anyways. I knew what emulators were and and had emulated other gba games I hadn’t gotten as a kid and was always interested in them, but I digress). I think it’s accurate to say the gba games play very differently from awakening and you don’t adjust, they can feel hard. but if you ever go back and you want to try a snowball early game unit try giving Raven and/or Canas a whirl. There’s plenty of room for training up a pretty wide crew in 7 honestly but it sounds like you like when you can have a superstar.

Separately, Isadoras biggest crime is her con stat is bad, which undermines the benefit she gets from her high weapon ranks a little bit but it’s hardly insurmountable

RME fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 14, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
also she gets the best support conversation in the game with Renault, who you have no reason to use unless you're somehow literally out of staff users, and even less reason to grind out their support conversation, and I appreciate that they put that neat bit of characterization behind that absolute bullshit because I for some reason discovered it on my own

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s also funny to think that if you basically solo fe7 with Marcus it turns it from a story of Eliwood stepping up to his dads place to Marcus babysitting a bunch of lordlings playing adventure

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Zore posted:

Like when I was a kid I thought I was in an unwinnable state on the last map of FE7 too.

Turns out if you just set it up for Athos to counterattack the Dragon it can't really do anything and you win easily by just healing him on your turn.

The previous part of the map I had Marcus and Athos basically take care of themselves because I was an idiot kid who had funneled almost all my kills into Marcus.

Maybe that's what I did wrong. Not sure but I did remember trying the final map few times then stopping.

Btw are the skirmishes randomly generated in terms of the layout and enemies?

RME posted:

Yeah people before me really covered the major points I would make

I’m just going to add that Awakening was also my first fire emblem and I only went back to finally play the gba ones afterwards (I don’t really know why I waited so long anyways. I knew what emulators were and and had emulated other gba games I hadn’t gotten as a kid and was always interested in them, but I digress). I think it’s accurate to say the gba games play very differently from awakening and you don’t adjust, they can feel hard. but if you ever go back and you want to try a snowball early game unit try giving Raven and/or Canas a whirl. There’s plenty of room for training up a pretty wide crew in 7 honestly but it sounds like you like when you can have a superstar.

Separately, Isadoras biggest crime is her con stat is bad, which undermines the benefit she gets from her high weapon ranks a little bit but it’s hardly insurmountable

Good tips, I'l try it out. Ya definitely need to replay FE7, I think you are right about the differences. The latter games have way more rpg mechanics and in general more forgiving.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Pretty sure the skirmishes are hand-crafted; I've definitely repeated a couple and they had the same enemy layouts, just with bigger levels and weapons.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Oh ok, btw is Anna a good replacement for Vander or use Boucheron. I am waiting till I get a new axe user but so far nothing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ulio posted:

Oh ok, btw is Anna a good replacement for Vander or use Boucheron. I am waiting till I get a new axe user but so far nothing.

Not really, her Strength growth is awful.

But that's fine because her natural Magic growth is the highest in the entire game. Get her to level 10 and promote her to Sage, Mage Knight, or High Priest and she'll be one of the best mages in the game.

For some reason the game's fairly stingy with axe units early on but Boucheron should be able to get you through until you can start promoting people to Warrior or Wyvern Knight or Great Knight, recruit (and promote) Diamant, etc.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

Not really, her Strength growth is awful.

But that's fine because her natural Magic growth is the highest in the entire game. Get her to level 10 and promote her to Sage or Mage Knight and she'll be one of the best mages in the game.

For some reason the game's fairly stingy with axe units early on but Boucheron should be able to get you through until you can start promoting people to Warrior or Wyvern Knight or Great Knight, recruit (and promote) Diamant, etc.

She's handaxe support until she gets warrior. Then she gets Radiant Bow in chapter 14 and you're off to the races because she's completely insane imo.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Boucheron gets STR and SPD every level why would anyone ever replace him.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

She's handaxe support until she gets warrior. Then she gets Radiant Bow in chapter 14 and you're off to the races because she's completely insane imo.

Yeah that's another viable path, I mostly mean that she's not really cut out to be a great axe user specifically. Even the Hurricane Axe is kind of rough on her because she doesn't have the bulk to be taking hits on player phase like that. Maybe she could do it as a General and do a Marni impression?

Basically she wants to be doing something magical, whether that's as a mage with tomes, a Mage Knight with a Levin Sword and tomes, or as a Radiant Bow user.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Harrow posted:

Yeah that's another viable path, I mostly mean that she's not really cut out to be a great axe user specifically. Even the Hurricane Axe is kind of rough on her because she doesn't have the bulk to be taking hits on player phase like that. Maybe she could do it as a General and do a Marni impression?

Basically she wants to be doing something magical, whether that's as a mage with tomes, a Mage Knight with a Levin Sword and tomes, or as a Radiant Bow user.

You could equip her with Roy and use hold out to Axe people.

Shame there's no backup sword/bow or lance/bow.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

You could equip her with Roy and use hold out to Axe people.

Shame there's no backup sword/bow or lance/bow.

Yeah that's unfortunate. Maybe a DLC class could fill that niche or something.

I'm slightly hoping for Adventurer or Trickster or something, with bows, a decent Magic score, and staff access. That'd be the perfect Anna class (which seems appropriate), though I guess it might be a bit too strong given how good the Radiant Bow is even without a high Mag stat.

edit: poo poo now I want to try running General Anna with Roy and a Hurricane Axe, just go full Marni Mode

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 14, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Nanomashoes posted:

He wouldn’t stop dying so I replaced him with Jade who won’t stop murdering dudes as a General. I hope you like crits, here comes her Killer Axe *slams shield on the ground*

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Nanomashoes posted:

not cute enough for my army

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

He wouldn’t stop dying so I replaced him with Jade who won’t stop murdering dudes as a General. I hope you like crits, here comes her Killer Axe *slams shield on the ground*

I use both. Boucheron gets the brave axe, jade gets the killer (and a reclass to hero after she hit the speed cap for generals)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Blaziken386 posted:

hosed up

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blaziken386 posted:

Can't believe you're insulting Bouch this way

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
My Boucheron got 0 strength across 8 level ups.

The literal children on my team were stronger than him

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

CharlestonJew posted:

My Boucheron got 0 strength across 8 level ups.

The literal children on my team were stronger than him

But did they have his chonk build or his zoomy speed?

(They probably had the latter, his speed is good but not THAT good)

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Supremezero posted:

Can't believe you're insulting Bouch this way

Lt. Broccoli
Jun 4, 2006

It just sits there. Completely harmless.

RME posted:

This isn’t like a call out or anything I just want to get a sense of where you’re working from

Oh, no big deal, I’m just kind of anal about RPGs. If I feel like I misallocated stuff and constantly have to fight against it, it annoys me. I in no way feel like I couldn’t push through, I just want to do a better run and make some different decisions. It doesn’t hurt the game is gorgeous and all dialog is skippable.

That said I wish they cleaved a bit more towards Diablo 3 style systems where you can instantly reallocate resources!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Zore posted:

I can't remember which game was the first one I learned that "if I wait for it to attack me I take half the damage between heals" trick but it feels soo good.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Put all your himbos in trunks and let them chill by the pool.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Geckoagua posted:

Oh, no big deal, I’m just kind of anal about RPGs. If I feel like I misallocated stuff and constantly have to fight against it, it annoys me. I in no way feel like I couldn’t push through, I just want to do a better run and make some different decisions. It doesn’t hurt the game is gorgeous and all dialog is skippable.

That said I wish they cleaved a bit more towards Diablo 3 style systems where you can instantly reallocate resources!

Fair enough, and with skipping you can definitely catch back up pretty quickly so if you feel more comfortable that way I won’t stop you (not that I ever could)

Bruceski posted:

I can't remember which game was the first one I learned that "if I wait for it to attack me I take half the damage between heals" trick but it feels soo good.

I feel like every fire emblem introduces the idea pretty early on by making a boss that will kill you on the EP backswing in the first few maps, you just tend to get so far ahead in the mid game it can genuinely be dozens of maps before you need to break it out on the final boss

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

goatface posted:

Put all your himbos in trunks and let them chill by the pool.
:hmmyes:I put Louis in the swimming costume so he could be comfy and get a tan while doing his people watching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

https://twitter.com/serenesforest/status/1625608932197539863?s=46&t=xK9WJo2VZrvqn5SJok60xg

Wow grinding supports in battle is… kinda worthless.