Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Heran Bago posted:

First EW trial, it's the first run for a few of us. We wipe once to the new mechanic where big damage markers go down, the players freeze, and then the stage rotates underneath, dragging some players into the markers before they go off. Apparently there were giant arrows outside the arena to telegraph this. The mentor in the group gets a triangle and says "follow me if you don't know the mechanics". Our DPSs keep getting tunnel-vision and we wipe once more times before clear. The entire time the mentor is constantly telling people to follow them.

Just explain the mechanic dude. I looked it up afterwards and it's not so tough. We just didn't know the new spot the game wants us to look at. If we were for newbs it might have been fun to figure out, but not follow the leader

TBF if they were tunnel-visioning so hard that they can't follow a dorito they probably wouldn't look at the outside of the arena either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

I feel incredibly dumb asking this about seasonal fluff events, but is there a guide to the House Valentione storyline anywhere? I get the gist (something about an Ishgardian house devoted to promoting the holiday) but boy, there are a lot of NPCs hanging around.

quote:

Currently observed throughout Eorzea, Valentione's Day was originally established to pay tribute to Countess Arabelle de Valentione of Ishgard—a remarkable woman who exhibited unparalleled courage in her quest for true love. In present day, it has become an occasion on which people express feelings of love and gratitude to those most important in their lives.
So 2011 and 2012 aren't especially noteworthy, besides calling attention to it being one of the longest running seasonals (Starlight Celebration beats it out by starting in 2010). Same history behind it, but no real overarching plot - you get chocolates and rewards. Lady Lisette is not yet part of the event.

2014 is the first chapter of the modern saga. Here's one video capturing it, but essentially Lisette drafts you to deal with a love problem in each ARR city-state - Yellow Moon in Ul'dah needing ingredients to create confections for her followers and special someone (you can find a bunch of them doubled over outside the Weaver's Guild, if that gives you an idea of how good a Culinarian she is), Nemoh Maimhov in Gridania (she's the one sitting on the grass by the river near the Whistling Miller) looking for her pre-Calamity betrothed, Gwayne, who ends up being a swindler that obtained pledges and gifts from numerous women before Carteneau and used the resultant wealth to ensure he could avoid the battlefield, and finally O'kalkaya in Limsa Lominsa who wants to find out why Rhoswen's been sneaking out to the Bismarck lately - Lyngsath won't reveal his customer's secrets but it's "sure to make some sparks", which makes everyone think it's firesand for a duel with Carvallain. If you've played XIV long enough by now, you know what a story involving Rhoswen and Carvallain means. (It's not firesand she commissioned, it's chocolate.)
When you finish all the sidequests, you find Lisette in a particularly foul mood after spending so much time handing out chocolates in Limsa Lominsa, but you get a reward all the same. She hopes to one day find HER true love.

2015 marks the event's first move to Gridania. Here's a video. Similar to the previous year, you're drafted into three sidequests, though the theme this time is delivering items to wayward lovers. On Lisette's side, though, she defers you to an assistant named Hortefense, who's the one that gives the sidequests. It turns out he's also trying to find the woman who saved his life, whom he only knows is an Ishgardian noblewoman. Of course, after some prying, it's Lisette, and he professes his undying love to her, and she's a bit flustered and says they should be friends first since she hardly knows anything of the man - she didn't even recognize him because the soldier was so injured all she could make out was the unicorn crest (he's Fortemps).

2016 is the first showing of fortune telling (hey, we have Astrologians now). Here's a video. Back to Limsa Lominsa for this year, you need to couple up in a party to get some fortunes read. Back with House Valentione, Lisette and Hortefense have seemingly grown closer since last time, though she downplays it as ever. But after your readings, Hortefense has disappeared and Lisette wants you to find out why. Turns out he went to get his fortune with Lisetta told surreptitiously, but got her nameday wrong. You track him down with Lisette and he's moping because the reading was awful, but she gives him a bit of an earful and tells him they should get a proper reading with the correct details. They do, it's wonderful, Hortefense proposes on the spot and she accepts bashfully.

2017 is back in Gridania again for good, and this time the /dote emote is featured. Here's a video. Basically Hortefense is your lunk-headed guide to /doting for a possibly equally lunk-headed Warrior of Light. Once you get the basics down, he sends you to the three Adventurer's Guild heads in the ARR City States to... express your thanks. However, this was also something of a "choose your own adventure" in that you could track down the same person to /dote multiple times in different places, which would give you a different ending. This is all four of the endings. Either Momodi, Mother Miounne, Baderon, or Lisette and Hortefense could give you a final scene. No specific developments in House Valentione this year, other than Lisette still being herself when confronted with Hortefense's... ardor.

2018 is Astrid's debut, and the first appearance of THE AFFINITY TEST. Here's a video. So, having been married and all, Lisette is training her little sister Astrid in the ways of becoming an Emissary of Love and has her in charge of preparing a new venue. But Astrid's moogle helpers have abandoned her because they're lazy moogles because she's so stiff and formal and boring, so you get Astrid to listen to the moogles in how to bring out passion. After a test run of the course, it's open to the public as a rousing success, and Lisette is proud to say that Astrid has completed her training. And you could rerun the instance as much as you want during the event.

2019 features the return of THE AFFINITY TEST. Here's a video. Astrid's in charge of the ceremony this time, and wants to make people who aren't already devoted couples - chance strangers, family, friends, etc. - enjoy the spirit of the season, too, and has you invite participants. One pair have a really rough falling out after failing their test together, though, and Astrid wants to try and mend the rift, so you get them to come back and watch you run the course as an example (it hasn't changed from the previous year), and they make up afterwards. Lisette is glad her sister is managing so well.
There's also a new fortuneteller amongst the crowd who gives hints about the next expansion (this was during Stormblood).

2020 introduces two more potential Emissaries of Love: Bert and Rodrigault. Here's a video. See, Lisette's being accused of some nepotistic favoritism in appointing her sister, when there are other passionate advocates of the season with their own thoughts on ceremony. That's why this year, a vote is held amongst the game's player base to choose the Emissary in a more democratic fashion. However, Astrid still wins handily (perhaps because she's the only girl, perhaps because her outfit is red, perhaps the two gentlemen split the vote, or maybe the world just wasn't ready for BERT SUPREMACY). This year features Ywain, the Lancer guildmaster, trying to find love and ending up finding Marcette.

2021 was a bit of a shakeup - scheduling issues stemming from COVID meant that Little Ladies' Day and Valentione's Day shared the year's event. Here's a video. Kupka Kupp shows up and teaches Astrid about love by helping collect things to cheer up Elyne, a young admirer of the Warrior of Light. She wants to be an adventurer too, after all, but it's a daunting task. However, upon having the hero make such a precious delivery, Kupka Kupp remembers a late delivery of love letters to the Songbirds in Ul'dah, and Elyne wants to come along. So that happens, along with a visit to the childrens' sick ward.

2022 saw Astrid and Pukty Piko making some Valentione's Day deliveries with an unnamed chocobo companion. Here's a video. At the end, Pukty Piko also gets a heart-shaped pom. You could also give some letter advice to some familiar faces afterwards.

So that's pretty much the history and lore prior to this year, so to speak.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

you put up a danger dorito because even when people know how the mechanic works they might not have the spacial visualization ability to execute it properly

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Heran Bago posted:

First EW trial, it's the first run for a few of us. We wipe once to the new mechanic where big damage markers go down, the players freeze, and then the stage rotates underneath, dragging some players into the markers before they go off. Apparently there were giant arrows outside the arena to telegraph this. The mentor in the group gets a triangle and says "follow me if you don't know the mechanics". Our DPSs keep getting tunnel-vision and we wipe once more times before clear. The entire time the mentor is constantly telling people to follow them.

Just explain the mechanic dude. I looked it up afterwards and it's not so tough. We just didn't know the new spot the game wants us to look at. If we were for newbs it might have been fun to figure out, but not follow the leader

I'm not kidding when I say that I've literally taught this mechanic by saying "Remember that Mario Party minigame with the book?" Nothing else, just that.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
if people die repeatedly and don't ask what they're loving up or try use some neurons to figure it out themselves, idk

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

It’s both faster and easier to say follow the dorito than explain that mechanic, which is kinda tough through text alone. Though it probably would have helped for them to say to follow them quickly and precisely.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In text you'd just say "the arena and its aoes turn 90 degrees in the directions the arrows are pointing"

Everything else is commentary

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Since boss arenas have been brought up, is everyone aware of this option in the character config menu?

I ask because I didn't find out about it until late into Heavensward. It tilts the camera so you can see more of the space above your character, making vistas (in the general sense), tall baddies, and all the weird poo poo happening outside boss arenas easier to see. I've not had that setting on default (33?) since then.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

SettingSun posted:

It’s both faster and easier to say follow the dorito than explain that mechanic, which is kinda tough through text alone. Though it probably would have helped for them to say to follow them quickly and precisely.

Yeah i think this is it. Players probably want to just get through it asap.

Cleretic posted:

I'm not kidding when I say that I've literally taught this mechanic by saying "Remember that Mario Party minigame with the book?" Nothing else, just that.

Hah, that works.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

Crackerjack posted:

Since boss arenas have been brought up, is everyone aware of this option in the character config menu?

I ask because I didn't find out about it until late into Heavensward. It tilts the camera so you can see more of the space above your character, making vistas (in the general sense), tall baddies, and all the weird poo poo happening outside boss arenas easier to see. I've not had that setting on default (33?) since then.

IIRC, the hotkey to change that on the fly is ctrl + arrows up and down. Useful for some bosses.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Crackerjack posted:

On a keyboard you can hold alt and the up or down arrows to tilt the camera too.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Zanael posted:

Don't worry too much about story and normal difficulty side content, they're designed to be done without much coordination from the players and you shouldn't have any problem matchmaking (apart from queue times outside of prime time).
Just tell your party it's your first time or you're a returning player, they should (hopefully) guide you if you need to know anything.

Since you left, if it was in Heavensward :
- there are indeed the new trust system allowing you to dive into MSQ dungeons with a party of NPCs (sometimes random adventurers, sometimes important characters). So far they haven't implemented that for Stormblood dungeons, some should be available around april or may
- some dungeons got a new paint of coat or even layout (remember copperbell mines, boy has it changed)
- some bosses have been remade, mechanics have been overhauled with standard markers you'll learn on the go and are used in recent content
- the MSQ roulette dungeons (Castrum and Praetorium) have been almost entirely remade, Ultima Weapon is now its own fight that is more than 25s long.
- your hotbars are now probably filled with greyed out skills that don't exist anymore
- jobs have now access to more cross job skills and you don't need X levels in other jobs to unlock them (hello Arm's length for tanks)
- if you were tanking, aggro management has been simplified to the extreme (put your stance on, do an AoE once or twice in a pack and you're good to go)
- and most importantly, the TP bar is gone from the game

Oh and the Crystal Tower alliance raids have become mandatory, you should do these asap if you haven't finished that questline. Plus since they are piss easy, it's a good way to get back into the game.

Thank you, that's all super good info. I *think* I did crystal tower stuff but I'm going to have to refresh all of that. I spent about an hour this morning figuring out hotbars and where NPCs and such are. It's one of those games that you never completely lose familiarity with entirely, but I'm on training wheels for a while.

I don't think I'll be grouping until I feel more comfortable with my bars, and I'm trying a controller for the first time so getting there might take a bit. Good to know about tanking. I've always loved paladin but tanking can be stressful (especially with strangers). I think I'm just going to dive into the MSQ to get a feel for how to play and see how long it takes me to dig out of this memory hole.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

But what do you do if someone responds that they've never played a Mario Party game before?

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
People will say "follow the dorito" for that particular trial because you can do all the mechanics that way, not just the rotation.If you're just trying to drag people through the fight and don't care about actually teaching them, it's an Optimal strategy.

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013

W.T. Fits posted:

But what do you do if someone responds that they've never played a Mario Party game before?

It's me, I'm the person who has never played Mario Party. When I did the trial it was pretty easy to figure out the fist of the mechanic with the way the camera swept to an overhead view to show what was going on, though. I did barely notice the arrows, but usually I was safe just following the lead of other party members. What was more memorable was how brutal the stack up attack were, but that was partly because first attempt was short a healer because I ended up leader, accidentally closed the window asking if I wanted to replace the healer that immediately left, and forgot how to open it again. Then the new healer was still in level 70 gear and couldn't stay alive.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not having item level requirements on (expansion release) MSQ trials is :discourse:

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Levantine posted:

Thank you, that's all super good info. I *think* I did crystal tower stuff but I'm going to have to refresh all of that. I spent about an hour this morning figuring out hotbars and where NPCs and such are. It's one of those games that you never completely lose familiarity with entirely, but I'm on training wheels for a while.

I don't think I'll be grouping until I feel more comfortable with my bars, and I'm trying a controller for the first time so getting there might take a bit. Good to know about tanking. I've always loved paladin but tanking can be stressful (especially with strangers). I think I'm just going to dive into the MSQ to get a feel for how to play and see how long it takes me to dig out of this memory hole.
You should also have access to Palace of the Dead, which is a good way to "start fresh" with a job, if you've never done it, it's a tower roguelite kind of dungeon where you go through floors by packs of 10, with a boss at the end of each 10 floors. The job level is abstracted from your character's level, and you get from 1 to 60 quickly. So when you start at floor 1, everyone is job level 1, and you gain fake xp with each trash mob killed, in about 5min you'll be fake level 12 or something.
This should provide you with enough time and learning experience to adjust your bars on the fly.
The floors are randomized, monsters are super easy, and going each 10 floor section is a cakewalk provided you don't walk on traps at a bad time.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

W.T. Fits posted:

I'll tell you when it happens.

Genuinely, I think 'Mario Party' just gets people in the right mindset. Even aside from the mechanic that's literally a Mario Party minigame, the entire fight has that sort of vibe, of slightly weird but immediately identifiable mechanics that just keep recurring, combining and speeding up. Not one part is remotely obtuse or complicated, but it just keeps going and wearing you down.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 15, 2023

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
It literally just happened.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I feel like that EW trial tutorializes itself just fine since it introduces the concept of the behemoth and snakes before it does rotation, does a big huge cutscene to demonstrate "see? He's rotating the whole platform! Look! Pay attention to this movement!" that you can't act during so you absolutely see what it does, and the arrows are HUGE and if you don't see them I don't know what to tell you. I did that fight blind on release when no one knew the fight and it's really not that hard to figure out after loving up once or twice. No amount of explanation will help for people who refuse to pay attention anyway and that's what the dorito is for

Edit: The star fall bit is way scarier for new people because that one gets no tutorial and you're really flying by the seat of your pants on that one

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

Hogama posted:

poo poo ton of Valentione lore

Thank you for this!

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Glagha posted:

Edit: The star fall bit is way scarier for new people because that one gets no tutorial and you're really flying by the seat of your pants on that one

That mechanic suffers from the same problem as a lot of mechanics that are otherwise easy to sight read: There are two possible ways of solving it (in this case, it's either the Mario party book or it's supposed to be a top-down view of the platform, and I can understand people assuming it's more likely to be a top-down view) and no way to tell which is correct until you've seen it resolve once. It's no fun to correctly deduce what a mechanic is going to be but lose the 50/50 roll.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

W.T. Fits posted:

It's like the first boss of Mt Gulg at leas as far as the stars are concerned. for the other mechanics: "some items are attached to the platform. Some are not. Bird is a donut aoe, behemoth is never safe. Triangles shoot a cone, squares make half the arena unsafe. If you aren't sure where to go, follow me". Bim bam so simple.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Theris posted:

That mechanic suffers from the same problem as a lot of mechanics that are otherwise easy to sight read: There are two possible ways of solving it (in this case, it's either the Mario party book or it's supposed to be a top-down view of the platform, and I can understand people assuming it's more likely to be a top-down view) and no way to tell which is correct until you've seen it resolve once. It's no fun to correctly deduce what a mechanic is going to be but lose the 50/50 roll.

I mean yeah but like most normal trials the penalty for loving it up is you get vuln or at worst die and learn how not to do that again and someone just raises you because it's a normal and you're likely not that vital. They're balanced the same way alliance raids are in that they typically are perfectly doable to limp through if a couple people are tanking the floor for a significant portion of the fight. I mean yeah that one's real tough to sight read but lots of them are and it's pretty understandable once you see it once.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I don't wanna sound like a hater, but the entire game is built upon a new person eating poo poo on mechanics they've never seen before and learning from their mistakes. I get wipes can feel awful, especially if you're the one that's causing them, but the worst that'll happen is you lose a few more minutes of time and maybe you make some idiot really upset that you didn't immediately grasp something you'd never seen before.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Encounters are most fun when you're terrified and desperate and don't know what is going on. Lines up with other mainline FF boss design and a lot of the soundtrack work, hah.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Cleretic posted:

Wrong mechanic. That's "the great cataclysm faithfully recreated," they're talking about "the natural order overturned."

Also in confirming I remembered those lines were correct I found out the song there has lyrics. Guess the latest trial wasn't the first one to muddy all the words into a texture.
EDIT: my mistake, those were fan lyrics. It was the same channel who does videos of official lyrics so I didn't think to check.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 15, 2023

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I had to change to other languages while farming that extreme. Something about the voice filter in English really set my teeth on edge. Whereas, French, German, and Japanese all had great reads with great voices :swoon:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Doomykins posted:

Encounters are most fun when you're terrified and desperate and don't know what is going on. Lines up with other mainline FF boss design and a lot of the soundtrack work, hah.

I've been saying the most exciting thing you can do in this game is beeline for new 24 mans the moment the patch drops

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vitamean posted:

I've been saying the most exciting thing you can do in this game is beeline for new 24 mans the moment the patch drops

And make fun of anyone who's doritoing it and giving orders Day 1.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I don't know what Mario Party is (besides a game I've never played), but I also do not go anywhere near current extreme trials

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Vitamean posted:

I prefer to wait a few hours for more casual people to get to it. I did the current Alliance Raid about 90 minutes after servers came up and even though it looked like everyone was still blind, it was mostly skilled players who could figure things out pretty quickly so there were no moments of mass confusion and casualties. I did the last two Nier raids 5-6 hours after servers went up and it was hilarious

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Bruceski posted:

And make fun of anyone who's doritoing it and giving orders Day 1.

This is the most important thing right here.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
TG Cid on patch week is still some of the most fun I've had in the game.

I verrezzed so many people :allears:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Day one everyone should be allowed to Dorito people to their doom

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hogama posted:

So 2011 and 2012 aren't especially noteworthy, besides calling attention to it being one of the longest running seasonals (Starlight Celebration beats it out by starting in 2010). Same history behind it, but no real overarching plot - you get chocolates and rewards. Lady Lisette is not yet part of the event.

2014 is the first chapter of the modern saga. Here's one video capturing it, but essentially Lisette drafts you to deal with a love problem in each ARR city-state - Yellow Moon in Ul'dah needing ingredients to create confections for her followers and special someone (you can find a bunch of them doubled over outside the Weaver's Guild, if that gives you an idea of how good a Culinarian she is), Nemoh Maimhov in Gridania (she's the one sitting on the grass by the river near the Whistling Miller) looking for her pre-Calamity betrothed, Gwayne, who ends up being a swindler that obtained pledges and gifts from numerous women before Carteneau and used the resultant wealth to ensure he could avoid the battlefield, and finally O'kalkaya in Limsa Lominsa who wants to find out why Rhoswen's been sneaking out to the Bismarck lately - Lyngsath won't reveal his customer's secrets but it's "sure to make some sparks", which makes everyone think it's firesand for a duel with Carvallain. If you've played XIV long enough by now, you know what a story involving Rhoswen and Carvallain means. (It's not firesand she commissioned, it's chocolate.)
When you finish all the sidequests, you find Lisette in a particularly foul mood after spending so much time handing out chocolates in Limsa Lominsa, but you get a reward all the same. She hopes to one day find HER true love.

2015 marks the event's first move to Gridania. Here's a video. Similar to the previous year, you're drafted into three sidequests, though the theme this time is delivering items to wayward lovers. On Lisette's side, though, she defers you to an assistant named Hortefense, who's the one that gives the sidequests. It turns out he's also trying to find the woman who saved his life, whom he only knows is an Ishgardian noblewoman. Of course, after some prying, it's Lisette, and he professes his undying love to her, and she's a bit flustered and says they should be friends first since she hardly knows anything of the man - she didn't even recognize him because the soldier was so injured all she could make out was the unicorn crest (he's Fortemps).

2016 is the first showing of fortune telling (hey, we have Astrologians now). Here's a video. Back to Limsa Lominsa for this year, you need to couple up in a party to get some fortunes read. Back with House Valentione, Lisette and Hortefense have seemingly grown closer since last time, though she downplays it as ever. But after your readings, Hortefense has disappeared and Lisette wants you to find out why. Turns out he went to get his fortune with Lisetta told surreptitiously, but got her nameday wrong. You track him down with Lisette and he's moping because the reading was awful, but she gives him a bit of an earful and tells him they should get a proper reading with the correct details. They do, it's wonderful, Hortefense proposes on the spot and she accepts bashfully.

2017 is back in Gridania again for good, and this time the /dote emote is featured. Here's a video. Basically Hortefense is your lunk-headed guide to /doting for a possibly equally lunk-headed Warrior of Light. Once you get the basics down, he sends you to the three Adventurer's Guild heads in the ARR City States to... express your thanks. However, this was also something of a "choose your own adventure" in that you could track down the same person to /dote multiple times in different places, which would give you a different ending. This is all four of the endings. Either Momodi, Mother Miounne, Baderon, or Lisette and Hortefense could give you a final scene. No specific developments in House Valentione this year, other than Lisette still being herself when confronted with Hortefense's... ardor.

2018 is Astrid's debut, and the first appearance of THE AFFINITY TEST. Here's a video. So, having been married and all, Lisette is training her little sister Astrid in the ways of becoming an Emissary of Love and has her in charge of preparing a new venue. But Astrid's moogle helpers have abandoned her because they're lazy moogles because she's so stiff and formal and boring, so you get Astrid to listen to the moogles in how to bring out passion. After a test run of the course, it's open to the public as a rousing success, and Lisette is proud to say that Astrid has completed her training. And you could rerun the instance as much as you want during the event.

2019 features the return of THE AFFINITY TEST. Here's a video. Astrid's in charge of the ceremony this time, and wants to make people who aren't already devoted couples - chance strangers, family, friends, etc. - enjoy the spirit of the season, too, and has you invite participants. One pair have a really rough falling out after failing their test together, though, and Astrid wants to try and mend the rift, so you get them to come back and watch you run the course as an example (it hasn't changed from the previous year), and they make up afterwards. Lisette is glad her sister is managing so well.
There's also a new fortuneteller amongst the crowd who gives hints about the next expansion (this was during Stormblood).

2020 introduces two more potential Emissaries of Love: Bert and Rodrigault. Here's a video. See, Lisette's being accused of some nepotistic favoritism in appointing her sister, when there are other passionate advocates of the season with their own thoughts on ceremony. That's why this year, a vote is held amongst the game's player base to choose the Emissary in a more democratic fashion. However, Astrid still wins handily (perhaps because she's the only girl, perhaps because her outfit is red, perhaps the two gentlemen split the vote, or maybe the world just wasn't ready for BERT SUPREMACY). This year features Ywain, the Lancer guildmaster, trying to find love and ending up finding Marcette.

2021 was a bit of a shakeup - scheduling issues stemming from COVID meant that Little Ladies' Day and Valentione's Day shared the year's event. Here's a video. Kupka Kupp shows up and teaches Astrid about love by helping collect things to cheer up Elyne, a young admirer of the Warrior of Light. She wants to be an adventurer too, after all, but it's a daunting task. However, upon having the hero make such a precious delivery, Kupka Kupp remembers a late delivery of love letters to the Songbirds in Ul'dah, and Elyne wants to come along. So that happens, along with a visit to the childrens' sick ward.

2022 saw Astrid and Pukty Piko making some Valentione's Day deliveries with an unnamed chocobo companion. Here's a video. At the end, Pukty Piko also gets a heart-shaped pom. You could also give some letter advice to some familiar faces afterwards.

So that's pretty much the history and lore prior to this year, so to speak.

I greatly appreciate this breakdown, especially since I missed the first two years of the event

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Doomykins posted:

A lot of fights have a mechanic that you can mostly figure out what's happening the first time you see it, and just need to see once or twice more to get the details right. And sometimes the boss cast bar says someone ominous, the skybox changes, and a huge number of indicators get barfed out at once while everybody in voice chat starts screaming in terror and confusion

It's great!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I remember the first week of the first wing of Pandaemonium Savage and my group getting to the first P2S raidbuster

"oh this can't be that bad" *95% of the raid's HP is now missing* "JESUS CHRIST"

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I still remember the first time seeing Grand Cross Omega and just locking up in awe and horror because I had no idea what was going on. All I knew was that we were about to wipe in a very flashy way.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

iPodschun posted:

I prefer to wait a few hours for more casual people to get to it. I did the current Alliance Raid about 90 minutes after servers came up and even though it looked like everyone was still blind, it was mostly skilled players who could figure things out pretty quickly so there were no moments of mass confusion and casualties. I did the last two Nier raids 5-6 hours after servers went up and it was hilarious

in my experience, by that point you have people who have already rerun it several times either for a particular gear drop or one of the things that drops at the end, so they either start barking orders at people or the ratio of brand new to rerunners has shifted enough that runs go much more smoothly.

nothing for me will beat seeing 23 other people and myself get a vuln stack for a brand new mechanic and then watch everyone's gears turn the next time it comes up. the purest form of final fantasy xiv online.