Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same, 23 month old stopped napping if we don't run him around before 11 am. Naps are no longer automatic, made me shed a tear mourning the loss of no effort naps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Our 2 year old stopped taking naps voluntarily on the weekend so we have resorted to driving him around in the car for 15 minutes around 2pm and he usually goes out pretty quick. Not an option for everyone I’m sure. We did stroller walk inside the house for a bit but he eventually stopped falling asleep to that. It helps that he absolutely doesn’t mind being moved inside to his bed after we get back home. We’ve tried to drop naps once or twice but then he’s crazy overtired the rest of evening and ends up waking up in the middle of the night too and cries way longer than usual. We also really need the 1-2 hour break on the weekend to reset for the evening as well.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

My Shark Waifuu posted:

Does anyone have any tips on getting a two-year-old to nap?

She does nap at daycare, but at home it's 2 hours of babbling quietly in her cot (at best) or shrieking and jumping around her room (at worst). Occasionally she'll give us hope and fall asleep, usually if she's sick, done something tiring like swimming lessons in the morning, or had a tantrum from mummy and daddy being Very Stern and then passing out after all that emotional effort. TBH we've let this go on for a while as we figured she makes up for the 2 days of missed naps during the 5 days of daycare. But daycare's had some recent closures thanks to climate change and all of us are exhausted. She gets much crankier in the evenings when she doesn't nap, so she clearly still needs it, but we just have no reliable way of getting her to sleep.

Anyone faced a similar issue?

Our kid did the exact same thing at 2. He would pass out instantly in the stroller though because he was so tired.

I wish I could tell you what to do to fix it, we just waited it out and after 2 months or so he agreed to take naps again.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, there's a trough in-between growth spurts where a baby just tries out staying awake.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I know the toddlers are having a friendship day celebration at school today and I have not received a single photo! :byodame:

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

If I hear the words "luck dragon" one more time, so fucking help me...
Desondent 4 yo informed me on the drive back that he wasn't allowed to distribute the valentines goody bags he and I spent an evening putting together. There better be an amazing reason because I'm about ready to cut a bitch.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

2DEG posted:

Desondent 4 yo informed me on the drive back that he wasn't allowed to distribute the valentines goody bags he and I spent an evening putting together. There better be an amazing reason because I'm about ready to cut a bitch.

What the hell? I am vicariously outraged!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our kids elementary does no food/candy as a rule so it is likely something like that. If they didn’t clearly communicate this then yeah it sucks but I get why they do it.

One of the boys got an individualized “a note from _____” notepad. What the gently caress people, it’s kindergarten, that is way too much effort.

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

Not here, it's always been a candy free for all since we moved him to this center at 2. Came home with a bunch of candy from the other kids. We'll see tomorrow I guess.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I’m pretty sure I’m waiting until my kid asks to participate in this stuff.

I have a sizable amount of mom guilt because I don’t go out of my way to make treats or bags or whatnot unless asked to. But also my kids don’t seem to care yet? At all? I sometimes worry about how other parents might see me or perceive my level of caring, but some of these “”traditions”” have gotten way out of control.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I only get the cheapest paper Valentines and tape a piece of bulk-bought candy to it. It takes a lot if time to sign your kid’s name and assemble 60 tiny things which will only end up in a stomach or a garbage. Nobody cares, and if they do, they are lucky to have such small things to care about.

Some moms put together cute little treat bags with calligraphy cards and a ton of prizes AND candy… My kid ripped into it and promptly destroyed half of the accessories and had no idea who it was from.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
For Halloween and Valentine's Day the kids at our daycare trade gift bags and our kids are pretty excited to come home and go though them while my wife is excited to quiz our kids on who their "friends" are.

I don't think there's any obligation to participate and we weren't asked to, it just sort of happened. If someone didn't participate I probably wouldn't notice and if I did I wouldn't think anything of it.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
So glad to get out of that poo poo free by simple virtue of being in uncivilized Europe.

What they did for Valentine's was to have the kids collaborate in groups of three, on building big Magna-tiles hearts on the steel doors of the building, which greeted the parents at afternoon pickup.
Love these teachers' ingenuity in coming up with activities that are both non-materialistic and inclusive.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
We didn't give out treats, but "hand made" valentines. And by that I mean the store was out so we had to scramble to print some dinosaur themed valentines from the internet, glue it to construction paper, and throw a quick heart sticker on it.

Oldest came home with a shoebox full of valentines, most of them with treats or cheap throwaway toys, 90% of which will end up in the trash.

We considered getting some cheap candy/whatever to tape to the above-mentioned valentines, but we decided we didn't want to burden other parents with even more things that'll just end up in the garbage.

At least our day care says say "leave the TO line blank." That way nobody gets missed (but more importantly we don't have to get a list of names and write every single one).

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Hey bud what did you do in school day?

I made green choices!

What's a green choice?

A good choice!

Okay so what was your good choice today?

A green choice!

Okay but like, what did you do that made it green?

A good choice!

...and what was the action that you took that made your choice so green?

uhhh uhh uhhhh...Peyton made a red choice!

...what did Peyton do that was a red choice?

A bad choice!

ARGH

e: THIS WENT ON FOR THE ENTIRE 30 MINUTE CAR RIDE HOME

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

At least they're... Internalizing... Something.

Something mysterious.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DaveSauce posted:

We didn't give out treats, but "hand made" valentines. And by that I mean the store was out so we had to scramble to print some dinosaur themed valentines from the internet, glue it to construction paper, and throw a quick heart sticker on it.

Oldest came home with a shoebox full of valentines, most of them with treats or cheap throwaway toys, 90% of which will end up in the trash.

We considered getting some cheap candy/whatever to tape to the above-mentioned valentines, but we decided we didn't want to burden other parents with even more things that'll just end up in the garbage.

At least our day care says say "leave the TO line blank." That way nobody gets missed (but more importantly we don't have to get a list of names and write every single one).

Ours sends out a list of all the kids in the class so you can go down the list and make sure you got everyone. Giving out toys and goodie bags is dumb as hell and yet we felt compelled to after we were the only people to give out paper valentines last year.

Most if it is already in the garbage.

Brawnfire posted:

At least they're... Internalizing... Something.

Something mysterious.

Internalizing GREEN CHOICES

2DEG
Apr 13, 2011

We hate getting cheap plastic crap, so we do stationery and / or art supplies.

Turns out he just forgot that he had a backpack full of stuff and made up a story that the teacher didn't let him. We actually sorted that out this morning before heading out. Was not expecting to have to deal with lying this early. He usually has such a terrible poker face and always giggles when saying things that are patently false, but I guess the genuine upset made it a pretty credible lie. :sigh:

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Renegret posted:

Ours sends out a list of all the kids in the class so you can go down the list and make sure you got everyone. Giving out toys and goodie bags is dumb as hell and yet we felt compelled to after we were the only people to give out paper valentines last year.

Most if it is already in the garbage.

The peer pressure is real :(

What's worse is all the "events" that parents are invited to. Often early/mid afternoon.

Technically we were invited to the Valentine's Day Party yesterday... at like 3:15.

Like... why do you think we pay you so much money?? I'd love to be involved but the whole reason you're taking care of our kids is because we have to go to work. It's already a stretch to cover for all the days they're closed or when the kids are sick and have to stay home... going to these daytime activities isn't really something we can do on a whim.

Which prompted a discussion between my wife and I... are we the shitbag parents who don't show up and leave their kid isolated and alone while all the other kids are having a great time with their parents? Or would showing up be super weird?

I assume the latter, but there's always that pang of guilt in the back of your head that you're not doing enough.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

DaveSauce posted:

What's worse is all the "events" that parents are invited to. Often early/mid afternoon.

Technically we were invited to the Valentine's Day Party yesterday... at like 3:15.

Like... why do you think we pay you so much money?? I'd love to be involved but the whole reason you're taking care of our kids is because we have to go to work. It's already a stretch to cover for all the days they're closed or when the kids are sick and have to stay home... going to these daytime activities isn't really something we can do on a whim.

Which prompted a discussion between my wife and I... are we the shitbag parents who don't show up and leave their kid isolated and alone while all the other kids are having a great time with their parents? Or would showing up be super weird?

I assume the latter, but there's always that pang of guilt in the back of your head that you're not doing enough.

I 100% agree with you one this. The only parent who could turn up is someone who clearly isn't needed at their work, and must have more money than sense. They be a stay-at-home parent in that case.

It'd be pretty easy for you to ask the staff how many parents showed up, though, if you really want to know.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

The paper valentines we brought to daycare included a little sticker for each friend to peel off. We refused to include candy. Maybe next year we’ll make handmade ones together but it’s difficult to find time for that when their birthday is so close to Valentines.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spent a good part of yesterday evening hiding in a bedroom with my wife at her mom's house trying stifle laughter, because the kids got slime on her carpet, and when Grandma saw it and got upset, they started singing Daniel Tiger's "when you feel so mad, and you wanna roar, take a deep breath... And count to four!"

Slime and related products are banned in our house for this exact reason, and grandma allows them at hers, so she made this bed.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It was a shock to me that valentines has turned into this treat and present bonanza at daycares and schools with my older one. What happened to crappy cardboard pictures with your favorite cartoon character on it?

I let my 10 year old pick out whatever at the store (he chose ring pops). I'd rather give out candy than a worthless piece of plastic that is going to end up in the garbage anyway. My 4 year old gave out applesauce packets. I didn't bother with customizing names on them. I just put his name. Same with my 10 year old. He does not have the patience to sit there and write everyones name on everything. I totally did not do treat bags for the daycare for halloween. I had no idea that was an expectation until he came home with a bunch of them. IDGAF I've talked about mom expectations with my therapist before. I'm doing the best I can and my kids are loved and taken care of so gently caress judgy people.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I 100% agree with you one this. The only parent who could turn up is someone who clearly isn't needed at their work, and must have more money than sense. They be a stay-at-home parent in that case.

It'd be pretty easy for you to ask the staff how many parents showed up, though, if you really want to know.

Eh, it depends on the job. With advance notice most days I could take an hour for a party, I just might have to work more that evening or later in the week. That doesn't mean I could get my poo poo done every day with her at home. I'm also lucky that as long as I meet my billable goals and deadlines I can be flexible and that my boss and the job overall are supportive though. If I were hourly or at a job that required me to actually sit at my computer or be in the office all day, which a lot of folks are, it would of course be a lot harder.

Also in our toddler's class it was pretty much 50-50 on people bringing in valentines vs not, which made me feel better because we did not. They just had the parents who brought stuff in put them in the kids' bins so it wasn't like they knew who brought something or didn't. They're also little enough that they don't understand though.

Emily Spinach fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Feb 15, 2023

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DaveSauce posted:

I totally understand your point. Our school only does 3 events, mother's/father's day and Halloween. I 100% agree that it sucks to come to school early like that since that's the entire point of daycare, but at the same time, the kids absolutely love it. But why do you think that it would be super weird to show up? I find it's the opposite, I'm afraid of looking like a deadbeat dad by not showing up.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Also full disclosure I work weird hours so it ends up not being a big deal for me. Halloween and Father's day both landed on my days off last year. Mother's day I got there after work as they were winding down and got there just in time to steal a bunch of snacks.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I have a flex schedule and could take an hour midday to do something important. I can't justify working late in the evening or on the weekend for a Valentines Day Party though.

Our daycare does 95% of their "events" at morning drop off, which I really appreciate.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
A lady we interviewed ,4 months ago for nannying went from charging $350/week to $700/week and ya know what good for her. She was a Mary Poppins level lady, so good for her, happy to see people get their self esteem back. Wife and in laws are fuckin pissed that anybody would ask for what they're worth. I'm like shiiiit, we don't have an HR department in our house to bully people into accepting less than the amount of money it takes to raise their own family. Anybody you can get for $250/week is gonna be unreliable, either a crackhead who can't do better or someone who's gonna take a bigger better deal.

I'm gonna follow up with the childcare centers I applied to in January to see if the wait-list still has my boy arriving in July.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The one daycare event we went to recently was a christmas thing where they sang songs and had a birthday cake for Jesus (its a church daycare....) almost all the kids did NOT want to stay the rest of the day and wanted to go home. Thankfully I had the day off of work and could take him home when he started getting weepy about me leaving.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
18 month sleep regression is a thing definitely. No, kiddo, 2am is not to time for me to help you do flips or build block towers. :dogge:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Alterian posted:

It was a shock to me that valentines has turned into this treat and present bonanza at daycares and schools with my older one. What happened to crappy cardboard pictures with your favorite cartoon character on it?

Yeah my daughter's haul seemingly outstripped both Halloween and Christmas. I recall my best get being a little packet of those candy hearts and Wolverine saying "be mine, bub"

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Our daycare doesn’t permit explicit Valentines stuff because of their anti-bias policy, so we can’t give out stuff with hearts or Cupid, etc. Makes it a little easier in that it essentially restricts it to treats/snacks. Same thing with Halloween.

Not sure what about Valentine’s falls into the anti-bias category but I’ll take it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I hand made valentine's out of construction paper in elementary school so I could make my crushes valentine's extra cool.

I don't think I remember my parents helping at all...could be wrong though, my mom was a stay at home mom.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

illcendiary posted:

Our daycare doesn’t permit explicit Valentines stuff because of their anti-bias policy

the gently caress?

Best I can figure, they're afraid of certain kids being left out?

I wish I could skip it though, school valentines is dumb as hell.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
It's me, who made elaborate embarrassing and unwanted cards for his crushes. I'm the problem, there's your solution lmao.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

As long as you never read a poem about them out loud

Which I never did

That didn't happen and you can't force me to remember things that never happened

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

KirbyKhan posted:

A lady we interviewed ,4 months ago for nannying went from charging $350/week to $700/week and ya know what good for her. She was a Mary Poppins level lady, so good for her, happy to see people get their self esteem back.

Good for her. I love seeing people realizing their worth. We were in a similar situation with a great young person who ended up getting offered way more by some really rich family that saw their worth.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

KirbyKhan posted:

A lady we interviewed ,4 months ago for nannying went from charging $350/week to $700/week and ya know what good for her. She was a Mary Poppins level lady, so good for her, happy to see people get their self esteem back. Wife and in laws are fuckin pissed that anybody would ask for what they're worth. I'm like shiiiit, we don't have an HR department in our house to bully people into accepting less than the amount of money it takes to raise their own family. Anybody you can get for $250/week is gonna be unreliable, either a crackhead who can't do better or someone who's gonna take a bigger better deal.

I'm gonna follow up with the childcare centers I applied to in January to see if the wait-list still has my boy arriving in July.

$350/week for full time? That’s $8.75 an hour. You would be better off working almost anywhere else unless you live in rural Idaho or something.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

As long as you never read a poem about them out loud

Which I never did

That didn't happen and you can't force me to remember things that never happened

I stuffed a poem in a locker on the Friday before a long break... Unsurprisingly, I found this stupid website 4 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Also kiddo is back at daycare today after a fever free day yesterday.

Thank goodness because us caring for him while he was feeling like poo poo had caused him to start trying to feign helplessness once he recovered. While before everything was "I'm gonna do it by myself!" now he's "I need help. Daddy help me do it. I need help." Encouraging him to try because he knows how gets a "I don't want to. I need help. I need help."

loving hour long whinge-fest because we refused to pull his underwear up for him and that meant we couldn't go to the park. He also learned we absolutely can hear him in the middle of the night and will respond if he's in distress, something that he hadn't tried since sleep training (he always sleeps like a rock).

Thank goodness that he is currently so blatantly transparent about attempts to manipulate us. Sorry kid, I'm not buying that you are unable to hook your wooden trains together which you have been doing effortlessly for about a year solid now. Crying 10 seconds, rapid-firing through various requests (water, hug, covers which are already over him, his stuffed alligator which he is currently holding), and then looking expectantly towards the door at 2AM likewise less than credible, especially when last time I came in you immediately started telling me about how "the fudge went everywhere!" in your goodnight story and laughing hysterically.