Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Lib and let die posted:

I want to understand how posters got their opinions
for me it's a mixture of half understood concepts interpreted by a resin coated brain and barely in check mental illnesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have come more and more to the belief that your politics come from your values, which are prerational, which is why it takes moments of personal crisis in most cases for people to change them. People who change their politics because they thought real hard about it are so rare as to be a pointless consideration.

If you want to change someone’s mind, make them depend on you for sex, camaraderie or regard.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

If you want to change someone’s mind, make them depend on you for sex

Step 1: Demonstrate Value

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm just here to pick up the scraps

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

One of the most consistent ways to get somebody to spy on their own nation knowingly accepting the risk of death is to have that good good. Men have thrown away entire armies for a taste of the good good.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Everyone thinks narratively. To a person. That's really one of the big problems. Politics are the narrative of how you're a good person who protects people and cares about the right things and how you do good in the world.

It's just that for some people doing good is being a hero by feeding the homeless and for some it's being a hero by mag dumping into criminals.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

selec posted:

Like I laid awake last night for a good hour turning this over in my head:

Imagine working with a native people we attempted to genocide, and then gave token little swatches of land, usually relocating them by force or the threat of it. Then we break every treaty we sign with them, just lie and lie and cheat constantly. The government made a sport out of loving over these people. Imagine knowing that by so many socioeconomic indicators these people are still being affected by the genocidal policy, and posting that it’s conspiritorial thinking to not trust the government.

I’m kinda rocked to my core. I can only imagine that having a job working on lands of people who have in living memory unceasing tales of being lied to, cheated, robbed and murdered by the government that it would make me more the way I am.

Genuine heartfelt desire to understand what has happened here, how a person arrives here.

You literally stayed up because you couldn't understand why someone could realize the US government has done horrible things in the past (including the very recent past!), but still believe the EPA about contamination levels after the East Palestine derailment (after looking at the data they're collecting and publishing, and without evidence they're lying or obscuring something)?

You really weren't kidding about only believing people who agree with you.

Do you have special communist weather reports you listen to so capitalism doesn't influence the forecast?

Gumball Gumption posted:

I think the current spill is being overblown but lmao if you fully trust the EPA in these situations.

Nobody's saying the the EPA should be blindly trusted, they're saying what's been published so far looks reasonable and when people say it isn't safe, what the data supporting that is.

selec posted:

If you want to change someone’s mind, make them depend on you for sex

lol

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is also why you can't go into the China thread and talk about capitalism and how it would be better for them. They're a communist country so please respect that.

China's big on its citizens actively discussing other forms of government.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You literally stayed up because you couldn't understand why someone could realize the US government has done horrible things in the past (including the very recent past!), but still believe the EPA about contamination levels after the East Palestine derailment (after looking at the data they're collecting and publishing, and without evidence they're lying or obscuring something)?

Do you have special communist weather reports you listen to so capitalism doesn't influence the forecast?

Nobody's saying the the EPA should be blindly trusted, they're saying what's been published so far looks reasonable and when people say it isn't safe, what the data supporting that is.

lol

Gumball Gumption posted:

If you or someone you know was at camp LeJeune

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

like 10 or 15 years later coming back with "well the government reassessed and uh, things were way worse at lejeune than we initially let on, so more people are eligible for damages paid out through the court system"

but hell, let's trust the EPA for sure on this one

:rubby:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

New York City air was safe after 9/11 and you're probably a communist if you thought otherwise. The data says it was safe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

but that's the worst part, probably, is that we're not gonna know the real impact for 10, 15, maybe even 20 years down the line.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

lol

Past behavior is often indicative of future behavior, especially if there were no meaningful consequences for past failures.

Sorry remembering things sucks!

Once again, the curse of virginal evidencels is the belief they are capable of intellectual change. They’re not going to change their own minds looking at data, it does not work that way. So what are they looking at data for? To confirm the beliefs they already held. Such a waste of hours that could be spent raising a horse to be a steed, writing poetry or painting a picture. Whereas the Chad Pattern Recognizer can see one thing and know a thousand, ten thousand things, and still have time to make some beats. Read the Book of the Five Rings, you’re posting like a grain-dependent villager right now.

selec fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Feb 15, 2023

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lmao at trusting the EPA good lord are you a child

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The EPA and ol' Tricky Dick says we shouldn't pump all this raw sewage into the drinking supply, but we know better than that, don't we folks

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

The EPA and ol' Tricky Dick says we shouldn't pump all this raw sewage into the drinking supply, but we know better than that, don't we folks

Funny you mentioned Nixon, I was just listening to Dick Wolff talk about him yesterday - sounds like he put up a hell of a fight against inflation - maybe Joe Biden can learn from that guy?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Richard Nixon did nothing wrong

He did commit treason with the Vietnam peace talks, but still

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If the President has an R next to their name the EPA are liars who are cutting regulations that will cause worse health impacts on people of color just so industry can make more money. If they have a D they're small beans working with the available data and if it's wrong later it was an awful mistake.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

I have come more and more to the belief that your politics come from your values, which are prerational, which is why it takes moments of personal crisis in most cases for people to change them. People who change their politics because they thought real hard about it are so rare as to be a pointless consideration.

selec posted:

If you want to change someone’s mind, make them depend on you for sex, camaraderie or regard.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

RBA Starblade posted:

you do understand they want the EPA to be more strict and have more teeth as a regulator, right?

I found this interesting, I don't normally like breaking points, but this segment was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k16Nbig9vR4

It's much more related to rail and unions than the EPA.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Martha Mitchell should have been allowed to do the same things to Nixon he had done to her.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Read more history!

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

you do understand they want the EPA to be more strict and have more teeth as a regulator, right?

I found this interesting, I don't normally like breaking points, but this segment was good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k16Nbig9vR4

It's much more related to rail and unions than the EPA.

brie's right

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

guys you can just look up vinyl chloride and what it does to people and the environment and see right away that the response is utterly inadequate and entirely based on sweeping it under the rug ASAP.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lib and let die posted:

Funny you mentioned Nixon, I was just listening to Dick Wolff talk about him yesterday - sounds like he put up a hell of a fight against inflation - maybe Joe Biden can learn from that guy?

The important thing to learn is to not leave a trace

Rappaport posted:

Richard Nixon did nothing wrong

He did commit treason with the Vietnam peace talks, but still

Richard Nixon Did A Couple Things Wrong

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

I don't know who brie is or what they may be right about. I would like to know more

selec
Sep 6, 2003

“. . . to see those—those monkeys from those African countries [President Nixon laughs], drat them, they’re still uncomfortable wearing shoes!”
-Ronald Reagan

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

Martha Mitchell should have been allowed to do the same things to Nixon he had done to her.

I feel like I should have learned about this when first taught about the scandal instead of, say, right now

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

Richard Nixon Did A Couple Things Wrong

He hired a bunch of morons and idiots, but that's more on his staff than him.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

Read more history!

I'm not disagreeing with you, just laughing at how matter-of-fact you were being about "if you want to change someone's politics, manipulate them with sex"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I feel like I should have learned about this when first taught about the scandal instead of, say, right now

dude

selec posted:

Read more history!

the podcast slow burn did a pretty good overview of the Watergate scandal.

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 15, 2023

selec
Sep 6, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I caught a probe and the most-upset custom title from an obviously tilted poster by insinuating that our politics have gotten and conceivably could get this dirty again during a previous CE thread meltdown about how Manchin is scheming and smart and Sinema is a dumb woman who probably has PMS. The historical ignorance of goons is always disappointing especially when it comes to the parts that are also just hellacious good stories. Ideology trumps entertainment value, even, for a lot of folks.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, just laughing at how matter-of-fact you were being about "if you want to change someone's politics, manipulate them with sex"

Or money and camaraderie! And esteem and regard! The point is you figure out what they’re horniest for and serve it up on a platter, and they’ll be breaking every oath they ever made for a taste. This works on all humans.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

should have used the Leslie Neilson version.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

should have used the Leslie Neilson version.

The USA doesn't deserve that comparison. It's too good for them.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Judgy Fucker posted:

Selec is just following CIA doctrine

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If someone were pulling up the EPA data and pointing out where it was wrong, or not consistent with international standards, etc. I'd be very interested.

What I've seen is people posting data and saying "this seems reasonable so far" and others saying "capitalism ruins everything" and "someone on Twitter is posting about dead fish". It's data vs. tummyfeels.

Blindly trusting the EPA is dumb, so go through the data or talk to an expert in the field who has and see what issues there are.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Selec is just following CIA doctrine

#bothsides

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

Or money and camaraderie! And esteem and regard! The point is you figure out what they’re horniest for and serve it up on a platter, and they’ll be breaking every oath they ever made for a taste. This works on all humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kV6XTMpWU8Y

selec
Sep 6, 2003

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If someone were pulling up the EPA data and pointing out where it was wrong, or not consistent with international standards, etc. I'd be very interested.

What I've seen is people posting data and saying "this seems reasonable so far" and others saying "capitalism ruins everything" and "someone on Twitter is posting about dead fish". It's data vs. tummyfeels.

Blindly trusting the EPA is dumb, so go through the data or talk to an expert in the field who has and see what issues there are.

#bothsides

So is the EPA trustworthy under a Republican administration? 100% the same institution and no doubts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

You could also use the ghost blowjob scene to make this point. Ghostbusters as a lens into the functions of propaganda and persuasion by forces larger than you, whose workings are opaque and possibly even supernaturally evil would be a fun video.