Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

selec posted:

You could also use the ghost blowjob scene to make this point. Ghostbusters as a lens into the functions of propaganda and persuasion by forces larger than you, whose workings are opaque and possibly even supernaturally evil would be a fun video.

Class struggle is everywhere, even anime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If someone were pulling up the EPA data and pointing out where it was wrong, or not consistent with international standards, etc. I'd be very interested.

What I've seen is people posting data and saying "this seems reasonable so far" and others saying "capitalism ruins everything" and "someone on Twitter is posting about dead fish". It's data vs. tummyfeels.

Blindly trusting the EPA is dumb, so go through the data or talk to an expert in the field who has and see what issues there are.

#bothsides

The data is fine, but it is not being used to increase regulations or punishments for these types of incidents. What's the point of talking about the data when it is irrelevant to the outcome in regards to changing regulations or punishments?

It's useful to the people present near the disaster to make decisions for their own needs, but how is the EPA using it to do anything?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

selec posted:

You could also use the ghost blowjob scene to make this point. Ghostbusters as a lens into the functions of propaganda and persuasion by forces larger than you, whose workings are opaque and possibly even supernaturally evil would be a fun video.

Ahh, but how was Ray persuaded by the ghost head? Did he change his mind about capturing and indefinitely incarcerating the spooks and spectres after getting his dick sucked? Checkmate :smug:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bleach is a story about the protagonist, Ichigo - Ichigo is the son of a Noble Shinigami who leaves his wealth and status behind and imposes self-exile so he can save the life of one living woman.

But of course, Ichigo is revealed as a liberal in the end because he stands with the imperial power against the population of people that imperial power tried to genocide when they came back for revenge.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Bleach: The Thousand Year Blood War and The Dual Genocide Theory 🧵 1/?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Where is the horse when we need bans for anime

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Rappaport posted:

Where is the horse when we need to reopen USPol

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Judgy Fucker posted:

Ahh, but how was Ray persuaded by the ghost head? Did he change his mind about capturing and indefinitely incarcerating the spooks and spectres after getting his dick sucked? Checkmate :smug:

This is just an operational failure on the part of the ghost’s handlers to exploit the situation! That ghost was a Joe, and like all Joes she found out sometimes you’re doing a little necrophilia and the Circus finds it all a little too odd to see the goddamn fortune she laid before them.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Yeah I’m listening to the George Smiley BBC radio dramas and yes le Carré was right in his final judgment of intelligence agencies as suffering from the same malignant influence of capital as any other institution does.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Love le Carré. Some of the best spy fiction written

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

selec posted:

Yeah I’m listening to the George Smiley BBC radio dramas and yes le Carré was right in his final judgment of intelligence agencies as suffering from the same malignant influence of capital as any other institution does.

this is your reminder that the CIA was thought up by a bunch of guys who looked at MI6, thought, "we should do that!", then spent their time in the CIA getting drunk and gushing over Bond novels/movies.

This message sponsored by The Jakarta Method, Vincent Bevins's comprehensive work on the US campaign of wanton slaughter against Communist governments post-WW2.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Love le Carré. Some of the best spy fiction written

You’re doing him a disservice, he’s the non pareil of spy fiction; but those books are also just Literature, and his meditations on what it means to men to age and try and encompass and accept their past selves vs trying to reclaim them through pathetic reenactment lurks like a ghost in the best of them.

Every book written by weird men’s rights dudes and Return to Sacred Masculinity dudes, and How Are Our Boys Doing dudes no matter where it lands in the spectrums of reasonability or ideology is pablum compared to what he did.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

this is your reminder that the CIA was thought up by a bunch of guys who looked at MI6, thought, "we should do that!", then spent their time in the CIA getting drunk and gushing over Bond novels/movies.

This message sponsored by The Jakarta Method, Vincent Bevins's comprehensive work on the US campaign of wanton slaughter against Communist governments post-WW2.

The formation of the OSS and then the CIA is a great example of how conspiracy is really just people with shared interests working together in public. There isn't some shadowy conspiracy that made all the early heads part of the richest families in America, it's just the only people Roosevelt knew because he was from the same scene as them.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Christopher Lee was a cousin of Ian Fleming and the inspiration for the James Bond character.

Lee infamously "corrected" Peter Jackson while shooting the LotR films during the scene where Grima stabs him atop Orthanc. Jackson was getting frustrated that Lee wouldn't scream after getting stabbed, to which Lee retorted something to the effect of "Do you know the sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? I do." Jackson dropped the issue and filmed the scene as Lee wanted.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

The formation of the OSS and then the CIA is a great example of how conspiracy is really just people with shared interests working together in public. There isn't some shadowy conspiracy that made all the early heads part of the richest families in America, it's just the only people Roosevelt knew because he was from the same scene as them.

The class instincts killed them too! Nobody with any real clout suspected Philby until he had hosed the service inside out, at times with flagrantly bad opsec, because he was Their Kind of Guy. That man was an incredible, unbelievably ballsy person. A true thoroughbred, the kind of guy who should only exist in fiction, and they managed to not see it and he got away with it!

Now compare that with kneewalking drunk James Jesus Angleton, who was incredibly tight with Philby, like getting drunk and giving each other piggy back rides tight, and how Angleton couldn’t tell his mouth from his rear end in a top hat in wilder and wilder fashion as the years went on. But nobody could stop him, because he was Their Kind of Guy. He tortured the poo poo out of a genuine defector for eons because his fee fees got hurt.

No wonder the Mormons seemed like an improvement.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

:gas:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, the definition of "conspiracy" that seems to surface when the C word needs to get thrown around to demean one particular position or another is extremely loose in that "oh a person involved people they know in something they were doing where they had a shared relevant stake, interest, or knowledge? sounds like conspiracy-brain to me!" would apply to most successful business ventures.

Acknowledging that my nephew's boat washing business drew its success in large part from his father's well-established clientele of yacht owners would fall under that definition of a conspiracy.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The data is fine, but it is not being used to increase regulations or punishments for these types of incidents. What's the point of talking about the data when it is irrelevant to the outcome in regards to changing regulations or punishments?

It's useful to the people present near the disaster to make decisions for their own needs, but how is the EPA using it to do anything?

Its use to the people present near the disaster to make decisions about whether or not it's safe to return is the subject of the discussion. So we agree I guess.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

This way for the, ladies and gentlemen

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

Christopher Lee was a cousin of Ian Fleming and the inspiration for the James Bond character.

Lee infamously "corrected" Peter Jackson while shooting the LotR films during the scene where Grima stabs him atop Orthanc. Jackson was getting frustrated that Lee wouldn't scream after getting stabbed, to which Lee retorted something to the effect of "Do you know the sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back? I do." Jackson dropped the issue and filmed the scene as Lee wanted.

Lee owned

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
closing the containment thread was a mistake

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Its use to the people present near the disaster to make decisions about whether or not it's safe to return is the subject of the discussion. So we agree I guess.

Generally, but I also agree with everyone saying that this is a giant under reaction to an environmental tragedy caused by corporate negligence and government complicity.

Main Paineframe posted:

USPol cannot be contained

Heck Yes! Loam! fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 15, 2023

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

You say that, but did you know he wanted to come to Finland and fight against Stalin's campaign of liberating Finnish working people from capitalism in 1939?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Rappaport posted:

You say that, but did you know he wanted to come to Finland and fight against Stalin's campaign of liberating Finnish working people from capitalism in 1939?

Ah, the wall it is, then.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I have been begging people to read history so I’m going to recommend three books here that cover the astonishing history around Philby, which if read as a set will just absolutely blow your loving mind, guaranteed:

-My Silent War, by Philby himself, to see how one side of the story gets told from a primary source.

-A Spy Among Friends by Ben Macintyre, which does yeoman’s work fact-checking Philby but doesn’t sugarcoat why the establishment couldn’t sus him out

-The Ghost, The Secret Life of CIA Spymaster James Jesus Angleton by Jefferson Morley, this one’s the Bible on Angleton and is filled with stuff that will leave you wondering how the gently caress anything ever got done

BONUS:

-Wilderness of Mirrors which gives you a lot of insight into Angleton and how the Americans viewed the British intelligence service and v/v, less important than the Macintyre in terms of freshness of information

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
uh, weed?

also everyone but me is an op

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

selec posted:

You’re doing him a disservice, he’s the non pareil of spy fiction

Delicious?

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

uh, weed?

a wilderness of mirrors! I have no work today so I’m going to pick up the house a bit, weed, maybe make some music. I beat Horizon Zero Dawn a couple days ago and am keeping myself on a Gaming Fast until Like A Dragon:Ishin and Atomic Heart both drop on the same day and turn my wife back into a Gaming Widow

selec
Sep 6, 2003

And extraordinarily good for you too.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

uh, weed?

Beetus we need your wisdom

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Looking for a reason to bail on work so that I may go home and weed.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

uh, weed?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

the animeposting will continue until USPol is restored.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
frankly what isn't an op these days. pointing at a bird and whispering "op"

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

We can restore it ourselves. We could make a wildcat thread in BYOB proper.

Seize the means of posting production. Tired of waiting on the vanguards of the postertariate

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Judgy Fucker posted:

We can restore it ourselves. We could make a wildcat thread in BYOB proper.

Seize the means of posting production. Tired of waiting on the vanguards of the postertariate

i gave that a consideration, but given how harsh some punishments have been lately i didn't want to have to explain the financial mechanics of restoring my account + plat status for a web 1.0 comedy forum over a political disagreement to my wife when she asks "what the hell is somethingawful?" when she looks at the banking app

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm back on my final fantasy 14 bullshit since my buddy generously got me a game time card to play the new patch content. I think that's close enough to anime for me. holy poo poo though, if you are a Yakuza fan of any stripe, please go watch Way of the House Husband on Netflix, it's so god drat good. And this is coming from someone who has 99% of the time been disappointed when people say "even if you don't like anime, you should watch this."

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Lib and let die posted:

i gave that a consideration, but given how harsh some punishments have been lately i didn't want to have to explain the financial mechanics of restoring my account + plat status for a web 1.0 comedy forum over a political disagreement to my wife when she asks "what the hell is somethingawful?" when she looks at the banking app

Your wife doesn't know what SA is? drat I'da figured you were more Logged On than that

I'm also happy to buy people certs (I was gonna buy one for Bish) but have no way to get them to people since I don't have email addresses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
way of the house husband is super rudimentary animationwise but if all you really want is guys having intense conversations about carpet cleaners and going HAAAAA?! at each other it'll scratch that itch