Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hostile V posted:

Crisis on Infinite Frogs

"Quit gettin' mad at video games" is still solid advice, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (March 14, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Traveling this week, posting might be a little spotty. Or not.

Nancy 1943

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Wilbur needs to have multiple restraining orders put on him.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

This is pure body horror and I'm amazed Holbrook has yet to pick up on it.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Oct. 16, 1955)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Beeni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 2/14/03

Brenda Starr 5/29-31/50

Smokey Stover 12/14/52

Everyday Movies 2/10/36

"After all, my dear, one cannot very well divorce a broker husband on a rising market."

Gas, Grass, or Invisible rear end 11/7-9/40

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

Shouldn't the logo be mirrored?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen a doctor wear one of those little head mirrors, but I know it is shorthand for doctor.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 16, 1955)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

curtadams posted:

Allison's talent IMO is writing the interactions of a large ensemble cast of weird characters. His plot and character points are rather surrealistic and the wild interactions from throwing all the different crazinesses together makes them all go by more smoothly, plus provides enough material to fill out a story. The big weakness with Solver has been that the cast is too small. I liked the previous story because with Lottie, Glemm, and the 2 siblings, plus kinda Claire, there was enough interaction. This story is looking like two separate pairs, and that's not enough for how he writes. I think it would work better if Lottie were trying to do both the Solving and the managing at the same time, and developed a mad caffeine interaction trying to keep up, with the other three playing persecutor/rescuer/patsy.

Great points. It felt pretty good when Shauna was back. There just really needs to be a bit more importance on, well, anything in the plot at this point, or at least the Solving! I know, I know, Allison setting and all, but it was supposed to be meaningful that Charlotte was avoiding answering Solver requests and that Glenn is left hanging and quits, but it feels more like "Oh Lottie will just be a dynamite barista and help her wacky boyfriend. Reasonable enough."

I like Dean and Nero so maybe if the Solvers crew gelled together with them for 4-5 people to bounce off of and a Solver storyline ran a bit longer to build itself up? The Batman crossover had the issue of resolving when it felt like it was getting started and I was pleased recently to reread the Bad Machinery storyline of the hope eater and how long it was, I'd forgotten as much and it has been really solid again!

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

davidspackage posted:

"Quit gettin' mad at video games" is still solid advice, I feel.

Advice I need to follow way more often but fighting game brain

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Selachian posted:

Gas, Grass, or Invisible rear end 11/7-9/40

YOU CAN TURN INVISIBLE!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
That wouldn't be honest!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Great news about the new Watterson book, it must really be some project if it got him to crawl out of his hermit cave. If it gets him to do an actual interview, just give it the Pulitzer today.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

I could have sworn this rerun story ran only a few weeks ago, but the copyright says 2020.

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Those japanese marble sodas are really fun but this is a reference that is going to confuse a lot of the audience

Curtis

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:lol:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I appreciate the signpost joke. :golfclap:

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Doomykins posted:

I heard there was a reason in a comics story but Lottie not being a detective feels really weird and pointless, especially since she just... became detective adjacent anyway. Solver is spinning its wheels.
Have to admit, while I like Allison's art style, having multiple separate-but-related strips in apparently different time periods running at once has put me off spending the effort to get involved in any of them. The only character I recognise on sight is detective Lottie, except now she isn't one any more? 'Kay...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Payndz posted:

Have to admit, while I like Allison's art style, having multiple separate-but-related strips in apparently different time periods running at once has put me off spending the effort to get involved in any of them. The only character I recognise on sight is detective Lottie, except now she isn't one any more? 'Kay...

It works a lot better when you've been reading his stuff since the beginning. The characters were introduced in waves and a reader had plenty of time to get used to them before a new wave was introduced.

But he's been publishing since '98 and has memory holed a lot of his earlier work, so I can see how it can be frustrating to try to figure it all out.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Wallace owns.

1980 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Bad Machinery is one of my all time favorites, but it's pretty much the only Allison series I actually enjoy. The others have sometimes nice bits, but I don't really care about the characters (including the ones who I loved in BM). It's weird.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 29, 1935)

Peanuts (February 18, 1976)

Miss Peach (August 2, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Thimble Theater (September 16, 1939)

And now, the latest twist in the Out Our Way recruitment drive. (January 3-February 1, 1941)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Someone should buy compu-toon.com and set it to just display a random computer screen from the comic.

Also, I love that of all comics compu-toon doesn't control its own URL or have a website. That mixed with the Black History Month comic (from January) where he had a picture of his mom showing that his main female character is 100% just his mom ... he's my webcomics grandpa and I like him quite genuinely.

A+J

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

Pelle Svanslös (Engl. Pelle No-Tail) is a Swedish children's book series by Gösta Knutsson that used to be fairly popular here and in Sweden. A radio series and an animated movie were also made.

wikipedia posted:

A series of twelve children's books based on the character was published between 1939 and 1972. [...] The books about Pelle are seen as a protest against the ever more overt support seen for Nazism in Sweden during the 1930s, and as such constitute a satire on contemporaneous society.
Monni (Finnish for "catfish") is the villain in the books, and the character seen in the third panel is Monni's depiction from the animated movie.

It's a fun children's movie and definitely a part of my childhood, can recommend.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Hempuli posted:

Fingerpori

Pelle Svanslös (Engl. Pelle No-Tail) is a Swedish children's book series by Gösta Knutsson that used to be fairly popular here and in Sweden. A radio series and an animated movie were also made.

Monni (Finnish for "catfish") is the villain in the books, and the character seen in the third panel is Monni's depiction from the animated movie.

It's a fun children's movie and definitely a part of my childhood, can recommend.

This ran on Nickelodeon waaaaay back in the old time when Nick wasn't even running past 8pm, and was just wrong enough that a 6 year old me got that it wasn't From Here but didn't know how. Also I thought it was kind of a bummer.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Vargo posted:

Wallace the Brave

This has been a great sequence, except that the failure to scan really puts my teeth on edge (especially since it's a homage to Seuss, who was good about scanning - and not scanning, when appropriate).
And it's not that hard:

quote:

I guess Valentine's day isn't all about spending
but more an excuse for the love that needs sending

and my heart was changed by the purple haired dandy
so maybe it's time to trust this heart shaped candy...

NAAAHHHH!

Payndz posted:

It's telling that Allison himself can't keep track of his own backstory, as he mentioned in an aside about the mind control joke in the Lottie/Shauna meeting - he had forgotten the Bad Machinery crew HAD been under alien mind control!

curtadams fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 15, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rvVugY-kZc

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is pure body horror and I'm amazed Holbrook has yet to pick up on it.

holbrook.txt

Weembles posted:

It works a lot better when you've been reading his stuff since the beginning. The characters were introduced in waves and a reader had plenty of time to get used to them before a new wave was introduced.

But he's been publishing since '98 and has memory holed a lot of his earlier work, so I can see how it can be frustrating to try to figure it all out.

Yeah, I've read basically everything JA has published online, save for Original Bobbins (I also haven't read Giant Days,) and I have no issue with his recent stories being kind of loose. I like spending time in his just-whimsical-enough world and letting the characters ping-pong off of one another. Bad Machinery was kind of an outlier in having a central focus and consistent length for the storylines; back in the Scary-Go-Round days plots just ambled wherever and character focus shifted back and forth constantly as he favored writing for one character or another.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

And that’s The Case of The Unwelcome Visitor!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil THorp

Home Free

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 2/27 - 3/1/50

"Attic wit" is highbrow humor of a style associated with the ancient Athenians; here, it's also a pun on the fact that both attics and word balloons are overhead.

O tempora! O mores!

Archie 7/15-17/46

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Huxley posted:

Someone should buy compu-toon.com and set it to just display a random computer screen from the comic.

Also, I love that of all comics compu-toon doesn't control its own URL or have a website. That mixed with the Black History Month comic (from January) where he had a picture of his mom showing that his main female character is 100% just his mom ... he's my webcomics grandpa and I like him quite genuinely.
Way back I contacted him to get the Keypad Kid coloring book. I emailed the address listed and he immediately personally replied to get my address and sent it to me no charge.

I think he's a very nice man who just wants to do good things and, while I will make fun of his comic because it is insane, I try not to get mean-spirited about it.

There is a charm to his work too. I won't deny that.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Later: "Oh hey Stell! You had to go the gynecologist too, huh?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver 9: Boys Like Fun Part 1 Concludes!

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

Feeling a bit low? Look up ice cream vans on eBay. You’ll feel better. New story starts here Monday, with the whole thing going up on my Patreon then too.