Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

homeless snail posted:

None of the buttons on the Deck do anything if they're not programmed to do it, like the A button on the deck doesn't intrinsically send an gamepad A button press to the game. On the desktop config I don't think the paddles are bound to anything by default. So you have to choose a hotkey to bind them to in Steam Input and then bind that hotkey to whatever in Dolphin.

You're gonna be better off launching it from game mode or at the very least big picture mode on the desktop, so they get their own input map you can rebind instead of changing the global desktop one just for Dolphin.

oh wow thanks! This helps a ton; i would've been troubleshooting for ages and not getting anywhere. I do need to launch from desktop mode unfortunately to get 3d working, but I didn't even think about trying big picture mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

History Comes Inside! posted:

If you’re going to save some money and crack it open anyway why not just put a 512GB SSD in

The other limitation people don’t always mention is wherever you install the games it puts a bunch of cache on the SSD and unless you want to be janitoring that forever a bigger drive will let you ignore it more effectively.

Exactly. I bought a kingston 512gb for $60 and they're only marginally more expensive now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

homeless snail posted:

None of the buttons on the Deck do anything if they're not programmed to do it, like the A button on the deck doesn't intrinsically send an gamepad A button press to the game.
The gamepad buttons should natively act as a 360 pad when Steam Input is disabled of the Steam client isn't running in desktop mode, but that's pretty rare.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The back buttons on the deck are so drat good, I’m thinking of saving up for the stupid expensive elite Dualsense.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
Ugh, my deck slipped the other week and I guess it hit on the corner. This time it was a pretty small fall too, less than a foot. Anyway for a bit the LB was mushy and now it clicks again but won't register as a press in anything, so I'm assuming I broke something internal. Haven't popped it open to look but apparently the switches for the bumpers on the daughterboards are fragile, and if that's what's wrong then I have to either solder on a new SMD microswitch or ship it to Valve.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

RandolphCarter posted:

The back buttons on the deck are so drat good, I’m thinking of saving up for the stupid expensive elite Dualsense.

I don't like that they're push on the back, instead of squeeze, because it confuses my brain. apparently there's some bumpers you can buy that makes them work like squeeze?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't like that they're push on the back, instead of squeeze, because it confuses my brain. apparently there's some bumpers you can buy that makes them work like squeeze?

Yeah this is my largest issue with them. I'm used to my Xbox Elite2 controller that has the 4 back paddles. With they were triggers on SD.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Have emulated games always shown up in the great for deck section of your library? I just noticed it last night and am pretty sure they weren’t there before.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Are there any Euros here who have installed a new SSD, and if so, where did you acquire the SSD from? I'm just thinking on whether I should just get the 256Gb model or save a bit and get the 64Gb one to tinker with it. Unfortunately none of my regular computer parts stores seem to stock good brand SSD's and I'm kinda wary of buying a hard disk from some dude on eBay.

I'm seriously considering buying this thing. Looking at the thread now it seems the kinks have been mostly ironed out and some wonderful things are now happening in this space. I'm currently in a tight living situation where a proper gaming machine or a console is not an option and I want to play through the Yakuza series while lying in my bed - it feels like I'm the ideal user case, hah.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Okay Emudeck won’t detect any of my roms over than MAME. I tried moving the files into folders, into one main folder, I tried putting them into zip files. All the parsers are on, what’s up?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Apparently Returnal is a no go on the Deck

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Thanks for the advice on NVME drives y'all. I was looking at 256 because there are a ton of 2230 drives that size available for $30 that seem fine, but 512 seems to be a wasteland right now and I don't want to spend $89 on the new Sabrent drive.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Okay Emudeck won’t detect any of my roms over than MAME. I tried moving the files into folders, into one main folder, I tried putting them into zip files. All the parsers are on, what’s up?

None of those are the ways they should be detected out of the box.

There’s a “roms” folder in the directory emudeck sets up and in that folder are a ton of other folders for the individual systems.

The roms themselves go in the relevant folder for their system.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PageMaster posted:

Do the triggers on the back only work on game mode games? I can't get Dolphin or Primehack to recognize them in the controller config (in desktop mode). I've changed back and forth between controller and desktop controls, but they still aren't recognized and I'm not sure if it's a deck issue or an emulator program issue.

You probably need Steam Input running on top for them to work.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Apparently Returnal is a no go on the Deck

Not at all surprised. Will just stream the game to Deck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It looks like its at least somewhat of a go? (please press mute before the video starts, holy poo poo)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=temntOfITRQ

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Feb 15, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It looks like its at least somewhat of a go? (please press mute before the video starts, holy poo poo)

That seems fine for a handheld?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, the graphics definitely have to be turned down a lot, but it still looks impressive and surprisingly playable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odib5u632-M

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah all Sony's first party stuff has worked fine on Deck up to now so I couldn't see any reason Returnal would be different.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I THINK everything so far has had PS4 ports whereas Returnal was PS5 only so it's likely to be a heavier port to PC

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Ooh wow, the ray-tracing on PC max settings is really impressive and has effects that the PS5 version doesnt have.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

njsykora posted:

Yeah all Sony's first party stuff has worked fine on Deck up to now so I couldn't see any reason Returnal would be different.

To be fair those were all PS4 games. Where Returnal was made to be a show piece that was exclusive to the PlayStation 5 to show off its hardware.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Vegastar posted:

No the link in the OP does actually go to the Deckmate discord. I think there may have been a mixup there.

It's because we were talking about deckmate and someone asked about discord so the deckmate guy posted the deckmate discord. A bunch of people thought it was the goon deck discord so I guess it made it into the OP too.

Dr.D-O
Jan 3, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
I just ordered the 64 GB model. I really hope I made a good choice.

For some reason the idea of relying on an SD card rather than an SSD is making me anxious.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Swap *clap* that *clap* SSD dogg!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm going to get a 64GB as well and I'm already accepting that I'm taking an MKE->CHI road trip to go to Microcenter and get the big one eventually

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Trying to figure out how to play Halo MCC multiplayer on this with the EAC still killing it. Would Moonlight do this since as I understand it, it would just be running off my PC? Will moonlight automatically wake my PC as well?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Any recommendations for chill online co-op games that work well on the Deck? Mrs Boat and I have played a lot of Astroneer together and we're looking for something to scratch that same itch. We have two PCs in the house but my dream is to be chilling on the day bed in their study playing on deck while they game on their PC

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

PageMaster posted:

Trying to figure out how to play Halo MCC multiplayer on this with the EAC still killing it. Would Moonlight do this since as I understand it, it would just be running off my PC? Will moonlight automatically wake my PC as well?

Yes and yes although you might have to enable wake on lan in your settings somewhere

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr.D-O posted:

I just ordered the 64 GB model. I really hope I made a good choice.

For some reason the idea of relying on an SD card rather than an SSD is making me anxious.

Any Steam Deck is a good Steam Deck.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Party Boat posted:

Any recommendations for chill online co-op games that work well on the Deck? Mrs Boat and I have played a lot of Astroneer together and we're looking for something to scratch that same itch. We have two PCs in the house but my dream is to be chilling on the day bed in their study playing on deck while they game on their PC

It Takes Two, We Need to Go Deeper, the "We Were Here" series come to mind. Lovers In a Dangerous Spacetime is good but I don't remember if it has online.

sigher fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 15, 2023

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It does!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heran Bago posted:

That's accurate.

The SSD must be specifically a single-sided M.2 2230 SSD.

This should go in the OP for sure.

BearPlayingGuitar
Nov 30, 2011
For all those going the 64 gb route I did recently get one and just threw a 512 gb SSD I bought off one of those eBay laptop harvesters for like 60 bucks and it went off without a hitch.

It’s not too bad to swap out the SSDs honestly but it’s definitely nerve wracking.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How are you expected to load the OS once your hard drive is swapped? Maybe years from now I'll install a 1 or 2 Tb one in there but what would I be looking at in terms of procedure?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
The easiest would be to go through the recovery image, but you'd lose all your stuff that isn't cloud saved.

If you have l33t Linux skills you could probably use a drive enclosure to repartition and copy the original disk, resizing the user data partitions as needed.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
SD cards works really well and you can hot swap them like nobody's business. SD cards are really fast for reading!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

On that point, is there a way to back up your steam deck SSD, so you could just reimage it onto another SSD and not have to redo all the configs and stuff that you had?

Does something like the free version of Macrium work?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

On that point, is there a way to back up your steam deck SSD, so you could just reimage it onto another SSD and not have to redo all the configs and stuff that you had?

Does something like the free version of Macrium work?

I just used clonezilla live usb to migrate my 256GB ssd to a 1TB a few weeks ago without issue. Used a usb c hub to plug in a keyboard and an m2 to usb adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have to keep reminding myself that the deck is literally a pc. If you can do it on a pc, the deck will do it too

It’s hard to get my brain around that after a lifetime of consoles that are anything but normal PC’s