Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

T-Bone posted:

Yeah it seems like Washington actually made some really solid depth moves on F (Milano/Strome specifically), but that their core outside of Ovi just isn't good enough anymore (or at least this season). Kind of the opposite problem that the Pens are having, interestingly enough.

Yeah Pittsburgh theoretically has the much easier path to becoming contenders again. Getting good depth players is doable over the course of an offseason and TDL.

Washington is in a much worse position going forward. Their prospect pool stinks and their star players stink (relative to other teams’ cores). How exactly are they supposed to bring in a 1C and like two more top 6 wingers? They really don’t have any way to do that.

They also can’t really rebuild because they want to get Ovechkin to 895 and they need some decent talent around to help get him there.

The future is bleak but hey it’s been a fun ride and 895 should be one more big accomplishment before years of sucking. It’s been worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

WeaponX posted:

Devils fans have a massive persecution complex so whenever someone doesn’t sign with them it’s interpreted as some sort of personal slight and a massive indictment of the entire state of New Jersey instead of a reasonable thing like, “guy wanted to play with people he knows” or “likes some people in management.”

Your honor, Exhibit A

mcmagic posted:

It wasn't just that he wouldn't sign here. It was that it was heavily implicated that he would rather play literally anywhere but jersey and he went and signed with a poo poo tier franchise. IDK why you would be surprised that devils fans didn't like that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I remember at the time and everything in I'm finding now had the Devils' offer at 9 per.

hmmm you know I'm thinking of the NYPost https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/johnny-gaudreau-neared-devils-deal-before-game-changing-phone-call/ thing that says they offered 10m, but there's also stuff on Twitter that says it was 9m, and then there's also stuff on the Athletic that says once Columbus got involved he basically stopped negotiating with the Devils so who knows

Let's instead talk about the embarrassment of riches that the Devils have on D in their system:

https://twitter.com/matt_NJD/status/1625868437775060995

https://twitter.com/gulogulohockey/status/1602077212051644416

Like it's not out of the question that you could make a legitimate top 4 NHL D from those two + Luke/Nemec at some point in the future. Says the man who was super hyped on Ty Smith.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
don’t give a gently caress about johnny gaudreau, personally

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Golden Man posted:

Boo whoever you want for any reason. Throw food on them too

I recommend not throwing bananas on the ice.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I feel like the media heavily leaned into the narrative of "he's from New Jersey, he wants to go play there, he's not going to sign anywhere else!" when that was never the case. NJ pursued him, so did other teams, but the media was all in on "it's a sure thing it's definitely going to happen he doesn't want to go to another team" so when he did sign with Columbus then NJ fans were super pissed at him because they were all told that he was definitely coming to NJ

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

T-Bone posted:

hmmm you know I'm thinking of the NYPost https://nypost.com/2022/07/19/johnny-gaudreau-neared-devils-deal-before-game-changing-phone-call/ thing that says they offered 10m, but there's also stuff on Twitter that says it was 9m, and then there's also stuff on the Athletic that says once Columbus got involved he basically stopped negotiating with the Devils so who knows

Let's instead talk about the embarrassment of riches that the Devils have on D in their system:

https://twitter.com/matt_NJD/status/1625868437775060995

https://twitter.com/gulogulohockey/status/1602077212051644416

Like it's not out of the question that you could make a legitimate top 4 NHL D from those two + Luke/Nemec at some point in the future. Says the man who was super hyped on Ty Smith.

They never all pan out and even if they do salary cap wise you usually can't ice an entire D corps of guys who are talented enough to be 1st pair players

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

salary cap wise you usually can't ice an entire D corps of guys who are talented enough to be 1st pair players

when it reaches that point you trade them for Sammy Blais

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

And then, for some inexplicable reason, Edmonton* and Vancouver. ( I can't remember if he did in Philly or not, though they may realize their own GM is to blame there.)

Bread didn't take that kind of heat for passing on Florida and the Islanders.

e- "*YT or it didn't happen":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XlP-tWHVeQ&t=434s

I'd assume Edmonton and Vancouver are booing Gaudreau as the former Flame they still hate rather than FA silliness.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

corn on the cop posted:

don’t give a gently caress about johnny gaudreau, personally

It would be cool if he was on the Devils lol

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I always thought it was funny that people were convinced that Gaudreau was going to sign with the Devils just because he was born there even though he lived right across the river from Philly and the Devils play on the other side of the state by New York City. I don't remember Flyers fans being like "he's gonna sign here actually" but I assume they were doing it too.

Anyway Columbus is probably fine. Whatever. Maybe he's not a city guy. I bet you can get a gaudy mansion for cheap there if you're a millionaire athlete.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
He grew up a Flyers fan and everyone assumed he wanted to go there for years but in typical Flyers fashion they were extremely cap hosed

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-flames-johnny-gaudreau-open-to-joining-philadelphia-flyers-someday/c-290470170

Pretty sure he goes there if they make a competitive offer which would have been even funnier

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 15, 2023

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

mcmagic posted:

It wasn't just that he wouldn't sign here. It was that it was heavily implicated that he would rather play literally anywhere but jersey and he went and signed with a poo poo tier franchise. IDK why you would be surprised that devils fans didn't like that.

Because Johnny Hockey, being from New Jersey already, knew that New Jersey is scum and would much rather be pretty much anywhere else than back in New Jersey. Who can blame him?

Edit: ^^^ Chuck Fletcher was busy stocking the worst and one of the most expensive 4th lines in hockey along with extending Risto. What a great GM.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I always thought it was funny that people were convinced that Gaudreau was going to sign with the Devils just because he was born there even though he lived right across the river from Philly and the Devils play on the other side of the state by New York City. I don't remember Flyers fans being like "he's gonna sign here actually" but I assume they were doing it too.

Anyway Columbus is probably fine. Whatever. Maybe he's not a city guy. I bet you can get a gaudy mansion for cheap there if you're a millionaire athlete.

He lives like an hour from Newark and there are TON of really nice areas where you can buy a pretty sweet mansion within 20 mins of Newark on a 10 million per year paycheck too.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Johnny is from Cherry Hill which is a suburb of Philadelphia. Living in McMansion hell North Jersey is not appealing either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Johnny is from Cherry Hill which is a suburb of Philadelphia. Living in McMansion hell North Jersey is not appealing either.

There is literally no difference between Cherry Hill and like Summit or South Orange or Bedminster. Actually Cherry Hill is more urban.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

It was reported that NJ was his choice until he went with Columbus, making them a close number 2. That is very far from him saying he would play anywhere else but NJ, as much as I wish that was true. He had multiple offers and went with one.

Most of the time players play for a team because they have friends on the team or some other connection. Didn’t he say some guys reached out and vouched for the Columbus org? Maybe it was the better move for his family. Maybe some guys don’t want to play for a team near their hometown and dealing with that stuff. He explicitly said he likes not being as recognized/pestered in public the way he was in Calgary. But no its because he is a big meanie who would rather die than play in NJ because they smell that last part is true

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
booing people is so much fun. it's my fuckin God given right

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

WeaponX posted:

It was reported that NJ was his choice until he went with Columbus, making them a close number 2. That is very far from him saying he would play anywhere else but NJ, as much as I wish that was true. He had multiple offers and went with one.

Most of the time players play for a team because they have friends on the team or some other connection. Didn’t he say some guys reached out and vouched for the Columbus org? Maybe it was the better move for his family. Maybe some guys don’t want to play for a team near their hometown and dealing with that stuff. He explicitly said he likes not being as recognized/pestered in public the way he was in Calgary. But no its because he is a big meanie who would rather die than play in NJ because they smell that last part is true

He has every right to play wherever he wants and devils fans have the right to boo him, even for dumb reasons.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Never said don’t boo him, booing is fun and good, just don’t get salty when ppl point out you are acting like the jilted ex-lover of a person that doesn’t even know who you are

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think what was kinda lame about the situation was that Gaudreau was in the middle of signing his terms with the Devils and it was reported. Then, the next morning, Columbus announces a deal with him.

So for me it was the "oh poo poo we're getting Gaudreau" to "COLUMBUS????"

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
lmao that people want sports fans to be rationale.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Jonathan drouin had a 3 point night come on playoff teams line up for an elite playmaker*

*not an elite playmaker*

**do not look at his goal totals or AAV

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

There is literally no difference between Cherry Hill and like Summit or South Orange or Bedminster. Actually Cherry Hill is more urban.

All of these are vastly different places yes. This might be one of the wrongest opinions you've ever had outside of DnD.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Flyers fans got trolled even harder in some ways because the Flyers apparently never even tried to sign Gaudreau at all

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

if I was rational about sports I wouldn't cheer for the mother loving flames

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/EvolvingWild/status/1576805045907378176?s=20

Every leafs fan in my feed is predicting a regulation loss based on this information

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

All of these are vastly different places yes. This might be one of the wrongest opinions you've ever had outside of DnD.

You are right. The northern towns are nicer. My mistake.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

mennoknight posted:

if I was rational about sports I wouldn't cheer for the mother loving flames

The flames suck rear end dude.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/EvolvingWild/status/1576805045907378176?s=20

Every leafs fan in my feed is predicting a regulation loss based on this information

Who is Chicago’s EBUG?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

mcmagic posted:

You are right. The northern towns are nicer. My mistake.

Wrong again and Johnny, being from (technically) New Jersey knows these things 'cause he played against all the douchey high dollar public schools and prep schools growing up. Living in Pompton Lakes? F that. Commuting from Red Bank? Get out. Westfield/Wayne/West Milford? Foooogggeeeettabboooootttttitttttttt. Bedminster is all well in good. If you like golfing or horses. Morristown? Lol. Dump. Plainfield? Dump. Bridgewater? Half dump. Bergen? Sure gross not. At that point just go live in the Great Swamp.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Wrong again and Johnny, being from (technically) New Jersey knows these things 'cause he played against all the douchey high dollar public schools and prep schools growing up. Living in Pompton Lakes? F that. Commuting from Red Bank? Get out. Westfield/Wayne/West Milford? Foooogggeeeettabboooootttttitttttttt. Bedminster is all well in good. If you like golfing or horses. Morristown? Lol. Dump. Plainfield? Dump. Bridgewater? Half dump. Bergen? Sure gross not. At that point just go live in the Great Swamp.

So you're saying that rich hockey players don't want to send their kids to high dollar public schools or prep schools? lol

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

I'm saying Gaudreau grew up playing around those areas and they suck so why go back.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

WeaponX posted:

Who is Chicago’s EBUG?

I think its still their accounting guy Scott Foster.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah Pittsburgh theoretically has the much easier path to becoming contenders again. Getting good depth players is doable over the course of an offseason and TDL.

Washington is in a much worse position going forward. Their prospect pool stinks and their star players stink (relative to other teams’ cores). How exactly are they supposed to bring in a 1C and like two more top 6 wingers? They really don’t have any way to do that.

They also can’t really rebuild because they want to get Ovechkin to 895 and they need some decent talent around to help get him there.

The future is bleak but hey it’s been a fun ride and 895 should be one more big accomplishment before years of sucking. It’s been worth it.

Which is why they probably don't make any moves outside of maybe shuffling Eller on. I think they just keep Ovi's buddies (Backstrom, Oshie, Orlov) on the team and ride it out this season. Unclear what the future holds though for a dude like Orlov who deserves $$.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

The Golden Man posted:

The flames suck rear end dude.

I know! it's not fun to follow them but my lizard brain told me I have to be loyal to a red c even though I have been to Calgary like 4 times in my life and I didn't even like it

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gonna need JFresh to make some plots of xQOL for NJ vs Ohio before I can make up my mind on where Johnny Hockey should live.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

eXXon posted:

Gonna need JFresh to make some plots of xQOL for NJ vs Ohio before I can make up my mind on where Johnny Hockey should live.

Split the difference and live in Pittsburgh and just commute to games. Torts pulled it off in Vancouver just fine!

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Point to me on the doll where North Jersey hurt you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mennoknight posted:

I know! it's not fun to follow them but my lizard brain told me I have to be loyal to a red c even though I have been to Calgary like 4 times in my life and I didn't even like it

The Flames
The Reds
The Guardians
The Cubs
The Rockies sometimes
The Cavs had Lebron for a while?

Your brain has cursed you