Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm usually not too keen on Override, but this was satisfying as hell.

Great Knight goldmary continues to work out pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm definitely running Great Knight Goldmary next time, she's perfect for it. Looks pretty rad in the GK armor, too.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Side note, I just saw the axe Wolf Knight crit animations (both melee and ranged) and I don't know how I'm supposed to ever run a sword or lance Wolf Knight again

(there are spoiler characters in the video so warning if you haven't finished the game and decide to watch more than just the time stamp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCYyjDntrd8&t=224s

(3:44 if the time stamp didn't work)

The Tomahawk one especially is just :discourse:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
If I get a unit to max level, reclassing them will lower their stats right? (second seal, not advanced seal)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

If I get a unit to max level, reclassing them will lower their stats right? (second seal, not advanced seal)

It will not. They'll keep all their stats.

If they reclass to a different class their stats will change based on that class's bases, but if they reclass to the same class to reset their level, their stats won't change at all. They'll even keep their level 5 class skill.

Yes, this means you can theoretically level infinitely, though eventually a unit will cap their stats so levels won't do anything anymore.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So, King Morion? More like King Moron. What an idiot.

:hmmyes:

Or as bugs bunny would put it, what a maroon.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Shiny777 posted:

Meteor's enemy only. Soren's got Bolting, though, so I'd assume you could stick his bracelet and Dual Assist+ on someone in a backup class and get up to some extremely stupid poo poo for 3-4 turns if so inclined.

Dual Assist+ does nothing if you don’t independently have the ability to chain attack. You must be a backup unit or have Lucina equipped.

e: I totally misread this!

Zoran fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 15, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Side note, I just saw the axe Wolf Knight crit animations (both melee and ranged) and I don't know how I'm supposed to ever run a sword or lance Wolf Knight again

(there are spoiler characters in the video so warning if you haven't finished the game and decide to watch more than just the time stamp)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCYyjDntrd8&t=224s

(3:44 if the time stamp didn't work)

The Tomahawk one especially is just :discourse:

sweet Jesus the warrior crit, it’s just like the GBA games. Also I don’t think I ever noticed that the retainers I think all share a crit quote before now, it’s a really cute touch especially since “It’s tea time!” is probably Celine’s best delivered line in the game already.

edit: goddamn the Cupido sword crit is so extra, severely regretting my choice not to bench Anna for him

Last Celebration fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 15, 2023

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zoran posted:

Dual Assist+ does nothing if you don’t independently have the ability to chain attack. You must be a backup unit or have Lucina equipped.

I assume that's why they said "On someone in a backup class"

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I just got Leif's ring on my second playthrough, and I got the Olwen S ring on my 2nd or 3rd ring I made.

I was planning to use Citrinne anyway, so I'm just going to weld this to her finger I guess.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Where I'm at in the game, Citrinne is sitting pretty on a whopping 40 MAG before taking buffs into account.

Only one other character has better than 30 in their primary offensive stat.

Either I have an incredibly blessed Citrinne, a heavily cursed rest of the team, or a bit of both. I've cleared chapter 22 and am cleaning up paralogues before moving on.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Supremezero posted:

I assume that's why they said "On someone in a backup class"

Uh, whoops! I thought the suggestion was for a (natural) mage with Soren and Dual Assist+

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Where I'm at in the game, Citrinne is sitting pretty on a whopping 40 MAG before taking buffs into account.

Either I have an incredibly blessed Citrinne, a heavily cursed rest of the team, or a bit of both. I've cleared chapter 22 and am cleaning up paralogues before moving on.

No, that sounds about right for Citrinne. She's above her average but not by a ton. She just has a titanic Mag score.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Cythereal posted:

My Citrinne was consistently able to oneshot 2 enemies per turn on hard using Celica's echoes skill. She's good, a slightly less crazy version of Constance but Celica exists in this game so yeah

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I love this game so far, but I hate navigating the menus and the tiny interface text in handheld. I'll probably adjust to the menus (I found 3H's setup pretty cumbersome too, at least this one brought 'optimize' back) eventually.

Just got Yunaka, she's perfect in every way.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

So, King Morion? More like King Moron. What an idiot.

His voice actor also really tries to make him sound like a stupid idiot, so job well done.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Finally beat maddening, I'm glad the final stage is a victory lap because boy the last couple stages were not fun performance-wise.

Final team:

-Alear/Corrin: Was a liability on combat most of the game. By sheer power of Corrin's lockdown ability, choosable Vein, debuffs, etc. Alear being a 0 on combat was not a problem when she was probably key in most situations.

-Panette!Warrior/Ike: Was vulnerable to a lot of death due to low crit dodge since I opted for the engraving to make Killer Axe always hit. Was one of my only units without Canter, so her mobility at times was sus. Great Aether was almost never used.

-Kagetsu!Wyvern/Lyn: My ace in the hole, like Lapis was on hard. If I need an enemy deleted, I point at Kagetsu. Arrow Storm ended up being way more used for utility than hard mode, Air Raid is actually kinda busted. He used the bow way more than I thought.

-Framme!Monk/Lucina: Existed as a monk healbot. Her low HP was definitely a huge liability, would probably convert a late game recruit to monk instead so at least they have better HP to soak up stray hits.

-Ivy/Dire Ring: Was pretty much one of my best damage dealers, Flying Mage+3 range+Canto is dumb and busted when you can manipulate unpassable flames all the time.

-Fogado!Warrior: Despite being my only 30 str/30+ spd character, didn't feel like it. Mostly a silver bow guy, Radiant Bow was fine but too inaccurate for me and less damage than Silver Bow.

-Seadal

-Goldmary/Sigurd: Was a chip damage god since I gave her Dual Attack+ since she didn't need to spend on Canter. Arguably did as much or more damage than my dps per turn at times.

-Hortensia/Micaiah: Staff bot, was actually a nice attacker down the stretch since she's so goddamn fast, and I gave her Dragonic Hex.

-Merrin/Marth: Was fine, her lack of damage on the tanky enemies made her more of a chain bot initiator down the stretch.

-Veyle/Byleth: 4 way dance mostly, but did contribute with Thoron occasionally because Thoron+Canter is still good on generals.

-Remaining 3 spots were basically Hero Bots because I didn't really have other units built up since Rosado and Zelkov fell off hard due to lack of speed. Shoutouts to Saphir since she was the Roy holder, and Roy is pretty busted as far as baiting enemies out.

Major regrets is not trying to level up a Chloe harder. A second bow user would've also helped a lot, so Kagetsu can stop patching things up instead of killing other things.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm assuming so, but just to check: do the stat+ skills let a character exceed their class cap?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

I'm assuming so, but just to check: do the stat+ skills let a character exceed their class cap?

Yes

Source: I had Diamant with capped Dex (22) inherit Dex +1 and it brought it to 23

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Harrow posted:

I checked just for you :)
They do, I gave some boosters to my diamant and he’s dex capped and I had spare sp so I bought the Lucina skill to test this, and he went from 22->26 in doing so

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah, thanks :cheers:

Although now that I think about it the one stat skill I'm most likely to inherit on people is a stat most of them are probably never going to cap anyway (Speed)

Speed +4 seems like the best value for anyone who's already at least slightly fast, I dunno if I can justify 1000 more SP for one more point of speed upgrading to Speed +5.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Speedtaker can be very fun.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I loved Speedtaker on Hard. I think it probably makes sense to put it on someone who's already pretty fast and who's a reliable killer, and also not to put it on too many people (because it'll dilute its effects if the kills are spread out). Like if someone's not getting a ton of kills themselves they're probably better off with a straight Speed+ skill for the upfront bonus, while a reliable killer like Kagetsu can get a ton out of Speedtaker.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
If you don't have a slot for anything else, definitely invest in hit+ on the cheap late-game.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

It’s pretty hard to, you’d need to be at an exact speed tie to matter anyways
This is also I think why build and speed got budgeted equally even tho speed should be effectively better; 1000 can get you 3 speed and 3 build or 4 speed. Unfortunately this falls apart because you only have 2 skill slots anyways and build is only conditionally speed

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Hell yeah, thanks :cheers:

Although now that I think about it the one stat skill I'm most likely to inherit on people is a stat most of them are probably never going to cap anyway (Speed)

Speed +4 seems like the best value for anyone who's already at least slightly fast, I dunno if I can justify 1000 more SP for one more point of speed upgrading to Speed +5.

I find that as a design choice you’re not meant to fully upgrade everything. Like with forging, you’ll have a couple +5 weapons but generally speaking +3 is the best bang for your buck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ROFL Octopus posted:

I find that as a design choice you’re not meant to fully upgrade everything. Like with forging, you’ll have a couple +5 weapons but generally speaking +3 is the best bang for your buck.

Yeah there's definitely a bit of thought involved in finding the best bang for your buck with SP, which is making planning this Maddening team kind of fun weirdly. I'm assuming everyone will have a max of 3000 SP to play with by the late game (this might be underestimating, especially for prepromotes, but I'd rather underestimate than overestimate my budget) and I'm trying to plan how best to allocate that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Finally finished the game on Hard/Classic

Good stuff, story is typical JRPG cornball stuff, but whatever, that was clear from the jump. A little bummed that there's no paired endings, because what is FE if not a shipping simulator, but the game is really fun otherwise.

I'm finally gonna take a look under the hood to peep what everyone's growths are and start another run on hard to do some weird stuff this time

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
If anything, speedtaker is stronger on maddening than it is on hard because it can be pretty difficult on maddening for all but the fastest characters to reliably hit doubling thresholds without it due to enemy stat inflation.

You still can't give it to more than like, 3 people maximum or else you start to seriously dilute the effect though.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 15, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Tae posted:

Finally beat maddening, I'm glad the final stage is a victory lap because boy the last couple stages were not fun performance-wise.

Final team:

-Alear/Corrin: Was a liability on combat most of the game. By sheer power of Corrin's lockdown ability, choosable Vein, debuffs, etc. Alear being a 0 on combat was not a problem when she was probably key in most situations.

-Panette!Warrior/Ike: Was vulnerable to a lot of death due to low crit dodge since I opted for the engraving to make Killer Axe always hit. Was one of my only units without Canter, so her mobility at times was sus. Great Aether was almost never used.

-Kagetsu!Wyvern/Lyn: My ace in the hole, like Lapis was on hard. If I need an enemy deleted, I point at Kagetsu. Arrow Storm ended up being way more used for utility than hard mode, Air Raid is actually kinda busted. He used the bow way more than I thought.

-Framme!Monk/Lucina: Existed as a monk healbot. Her low HP was definitely a huge liability, would probably convert a late game recruit to monk instead so at least they have better HP to soak up stray hits.

-Ivy/Dire Ring: Was pretty much one of my best damage dealers, Flying Mage+3 range+Canto is dumb and busted when you can manipulate unpassable flames all the time.

-Fogado!Warrior: Despite being my only 30 str/30+ spd character, didn't feel like it. Mostly a silver bow guy, Radiant Bow was fine but too inaccurate for me and less damage than Silver Bow.

-Seadal

-Goldmary/Sigurd: Was a chip damage god since I gave her Dual Attack+ since she didn't need to spend on Canter. Arguably did as much or more damage than my dps per turn at times.

-Hortensia/Micaiah: Staff bot, was actually a nice attacker down the stretch since she's so goddamn fast, and I gave her Dragonic Hex.

-Merrin/Marth: Was fine, her lack of damage on the tanky enemies made her more of a chain bot initiator down the stretch.

-Veyle/Byleth: 4 way dance mostly, but did contribute with Thoron occasionally because Thoron+Canter is still good on generals.

-Remaining 3 spots were basically Hero Bots because I didn't really have other units built up since Rosado and Zelkov fell off hard due to lack of speed. Shoutouts to Saphir since she was the Roy holder, and Roy is pretty busted as far as baiting enemies out.

Major regrets is not trying to level up a Chloe harder. A second bow user would've also helped a lot, so Kagetsu can stop patching things up instead of killing other things.

This commentary reads tremendously similarly to my own experience of the game, despite different character usage.

I suspect because so much power is stacked on particular engages and because hordes of characters just fall to staffbotting since they have nothing better they can contribute.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Tae posted:

If you don't have a slot for anything else, definitely invest in hit+ on the cheap late-game.

Better off with Divine Pulse+, it's hilarious how much it triggers on someone with poo poo hit like Ivy, who doesn't even have the luck to improve the skill

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

My biggest wish for a future update is letting you change in-battle outfits. I want to run a non-Goldmary Hero one day.

Also, Lapis deserves to keep her cape on promotion.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The true power buff of the later recruits isn't their good bases, it's that they're already in promoted classes so they can keep their normal outfits in an endgame build.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

That must be why the put kagetsu in swordmaster then

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Citrinne is now reliably doubling skirmish bosses because I gave her speedtaker (I'm grinding bond fragments because I made some stupid choices).

I have loosed another monster upon Elyos, alongside her fellow retainer Lapis.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I changed Merrin's class and well I thought she was a wolf girl but her doing cosplay makes more sense lol.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Kanos posted:

The true power buff of the later recruits isn't their good bases, it's that they're already in promoted classes so they can keep their normal outfits in an endgame build.

I find that very few units keep a unique design even when they simply promote in reclass games, so that’s another reason to abolish the system.

Sometimes they’ll have a cool palette and at least keep that across everything. This is Lapis’s true power.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ROFL Octopus posted:

This is Lapis’s true power.

I still find it strange that they named her after a blue gemstone but then made her main color red.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They should've given her a cool name like Wille Glanz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I don't think I'm ever getting over that name