Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Also calling it now: Geordie dies

I'm gonna say Beverly, Geordi, Deanna, Raffi, Seven of Nine and Worf all die because the showrunner for Picard is apparently friends with and a fan of a bunch of white supremacist misogynist chuds, so he's gonna kill all the women and black people on the show to make them happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm gonna say Beverly, Geordi, Deanna, Raffi, Seven of Nine and Worf all die because the showrunner for Picard is apparently friends with and fans of a bunch of white supremacist misogynist chuds, so he's gonna kill all the women and black people on the show to make them happy.

I was unaware of this, can you tell me more/direct me to more information about it

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cthulu Carl posted:

Frakes would be down for it because he wanted Soren to be played by a male actor:

"Clearly, the character who […] fell in love with Riker or vice versa should have been played by a man, and the people at the studio didn't have the guts to cast a man."

Every story I here about Frakes just makes him seem like the chiliest dude. Pretty sure if the show had been Riker not Picard, and Frankes had sway instead of Stewart it would of been far better for it.

At the very least their would of been a lot more tormbone.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Tighclops posted:

I was unaware of this, can you tell me more/direct me to more information about it

Big sames!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

dr_rat posted:

Every story I here about Frakes just makes him seem like the chiliest dude. Pretty sure if the show had been Riker not Picard, and Frankes had sway instead of Stewart it would of been far better for it.

At the very least their would of been a lot more tormbone.

A lot more tromboning for sho

I really don't understand jettisoning story threads between one season, or movie, and the next. These days entire seasons and trilogies are conceived together, yet Star Trek is managing to be muddled, incoherent and poorly written. The Borg queen walking around LA in a red dress singing to get a dopamine hit and drinking batteries like My Stepmother is an Alien is just... bizarre.

I've never used psychedelic drugs but the showrunners are clearly junkies.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 15, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

Terry Matalas, the showrunner for Picard Season 3 and the first couple of episodes of Season 2 before he hosed off into a closet to write all of Season 3 himself and was never seen again, is really buddy-buddy close, like simperingly close, friends with and fans of at least two known big name chuds, Robert Meyer Burnett and Gary Beuchler aka "Nerdrotic", and has been trying to woo them endlessly in the run up to tonight's premiere of Season 3 to get glowing praise out of them despite them having a long history of hating modern Star Trek, women, people of colour and LGBT+ people.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas

You can see on his Twitter account literally today that Matalas was retweeting poo poo from Nerdrotic in a cloying "please like me racist daddy" appeal to Beuchler's crusty bigoted rear end.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Oh, interesting. I know what kind of stereotypical one-name villain we'll be getting .

"And that's when I AWOKE...to the hypocrisy of the Federation, Pee-card."

(extremely feeble sounding patrick stewart voice) "You uh-are-woke to the darkness, Vadic...your heart has grown black"

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Terry Matalas, the showrunner for Picard Season 3 and the first couple of episodes of Season 2 before he hosed off into a closet to write all of Season 3 himself and was never seen again, is really buddy-buddy close, like simperingly close, friends with and fans of at least two known big name chuds, Robert Meyer Burnett and Gary Beuchler aka "Nerdrotic", and has been trying to woo them endlessly in the run up to tonight's premiere of Season 3 to get glowing praise out of them despite them having a long history of hating modern Star Trek, women, people of colour and LGBT+ people.

You can see on his Twitter account literally today that Matalas was retweeting poo poo from Nerdrotic in a cloying "please like me racist daddy" appeal to Beuchler's crusty bigoted rear end.

LMAO jesus gently caress, thanks for the info. That is loving grim.

naem
May 29, 2011

HD DAD posted:

I would argue Tuvok is showing plenty of emotion - it’s just that it’s seething rage and annoyance at all times. Same with T’Pol, whose line reads pretty much always had an undercurrent of an exasperated “jesus christ I’m on a ship full of idiots”.

I liked T’Pol calling humans idiots because she did then have a character arc and eventually fell for one

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

and the other shoe drops

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Started watching TOS from the start, and I think (so far, only like 4 episodes in so maybe it changes a lot) Nemoy's interpretation of Vulcans is much better than anyone who followed. Spock talks about making decisions based on logic, not emotions, but his line reads still have emotion to them. Everyone else who plays Vulcans in later shows plays them like they're basically robots and it's boring as gently caress (looking at you Tuvok).

I remember Spock being more of a robot Vulcan in the movies, maybe everyone playing Vulcans in later series were doing Movie Spock rather than TV Spock.

Spock is only half vulcan. That's kinda the whole point. And vulcans aren't emotionless, they just control their emotions to a degree humans mostly find impossible.

As mentioned, Tuvok and T'Pol both play full vulcans and are able to show those in check emotions in very small ways, which makes their emoting much stronger when they do it.

Actually the snooty vulcan captain who thinks humans should be locked back up on their planet in Enterprise was good about that too.

Enterprise weirdly has a lot of good vulcan characterization.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Picard is really killing any enthusiasm I could muster for a glorified TNG reunion season :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

LMAO jesus gently caress, thanks for the info. That is loving grim.

McSpanky posted:

and the other shoe drops

I've heard it rumored that Matalas might be a goon like Lower Decks' Mike McMahon is/was, and if he is :lol: gently caress him into the next universe.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Started watching TOS from the start, and I think (so far, only like 4 episodes in so maybe it changes a lot) Nemoy's interpretation of Vulcans is much better than anyone who followed. Spock talks about making decisions based on logic, not emotions, but his line reads still have emotion to them. Everyone else who plays Vulcans in later shows plays them like they're basically robots and it's boring as gently caress (looking at you Tuvok).

I remember Spock being more of a robot Vulcan in the movies, maybe everyone playing Vulcans in later series were doing Movie Spock rather than TV Spock.

Bit part Vulcans maybe, but Tuvok, T'pol, even that rear end in a top hat from Take Me Out to the Holosuite aren't just robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LTkmvBSSLs

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've never used psychedelic drugs but the showrunners are clearly junkies.

Nah, if the writers and show runners were just constantly tripping on psychedelic it would of been a lot different show. Very possibly still terrible, but at least possibly interestingly so.

I mean if we had gotten a Zardoz out of it, may not of been good Trek but at least it would of been worth a good laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSjCkISrJfQ

Seems more just a mix of thinking grimdark always equals quality and no one knowing what the fucks going on behind the scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they were capable of creating something imaginative or interesting, they wouldn't be hacks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m still on record that the Picard version of ‘Seven’ has no relation to the one on Voyager. They are almost entirely different characters.

Jeri Ryan actually talked about this in an interview. When she first got her scripts for season 1 she panicked because she couldn't find Seven's voice in there at all. She ended up figuring out how to approach it talking with Jonathan Del Arco (Hugh) and his experiences as a closeted gay man, and formulated this idea that she had to normalise in the face of society after getting back to the Alpha Quadrant and build up a more socially acceptable facade to survive. There's a few neat bits (in the first ep of season 2 in particular) where at moments of high stress she deliberately reverts Seven back towards the way she was played on Voyager.

naem
May 29, 2011

Dabir posted:

Bit part Vulcans maybe, but Tuvok, T'pol, even that rear end in a top hat from Take Me Out to the Holosuite aren't just robots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LTkmvBSSLs

HUU

MONS

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
in a better show, picard and seven being borg-induced trauma buds could have been a neat idea. they're both good actors and borg poo poo is always a ratings spike.

in picard, any good idea is there by accident and quickly removed as soon as someone notices.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

I recently started binge watching DS9 from scratch and am halfway through the series. Does Morn ever get his own episode or should I stop wasting my time?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Call Your Grandma posted:

I recently started binge watching DS9 from scratch and am halfway through the series. Does Morn ever get his own episode or should I stop wasting my time?

There's a episode called Who Mourns For Morn?, if that answers your question.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

in a better show, picard and seven being borg-induced trauma buds could have been a neat idea. they're both good actors and borg poo poo is always a ratings spike.

in picard, any good idea is there by accident and quickly removed as soon as someone notices.

(pokes head out of trashcan in picard show writers room) They know everything about each other and read each others' minds because they were both borgs once.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
"I've seen everything!" echos throughout Seven's mind at all times.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

MikeJF posted:

Jeri Ryan actually talked about this in an interview. When she first got her scripts for season 1 she panicked because she couldn't find Seven's voice in there at all. She ended up figuring out how to approach it talking with Jonathan Del Arco (Hugh) and his experiences as a closeted gay man, and formulated this idea that she had to normalise in the face of society after getting back to the Alpha Quadrant and build up a more socially acceptable facade to survive. There's a few neat bits (in the first ep of season 2 in particular) where at moments of high stress she deliberately reverts Seven back towards the way she was played on Voyager.
That’s fine but her introductory episode involves her taking weapons from the La Sirena and using them to murder an entire bar full of people

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

From episode 10 on they're being pursued by the real Admiral Janeway in a slipstream capable replica of the USS Dauntless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_cLzsgCrU

In the season 1 finale Hologram Janeway dies and they enter Starfleet training in the onboard warrant officer training program under Adm Janeway, probably aboard the Voyager-A.

"The real me is hunting us with a quantum slipstream Dauntless-class starship? Good luck with that."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"The real me is hunting us with a quantum slipstream Dauntless-class starship? Good luck with that."

I love how Holo Janeway is just like "Aw, you're all fuuuuucked:haw:" with that quote.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Holo Janeway was really rad.

Hell admiral Janeway was really rad.
Basically prodigy is good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Holo Janeway was really rad.

Hell admiral Janeway was really rad.
Basically prodigy is good.

Prodigy is probably the best Modern Trek show with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks in a knife fight for second place. Picard gets a participation ribbon that says "You Almost Tried" on it, and Discovery... I paused for a solid minute trying to think of ways to finish that sentence, so I'll just leave the thought unfinished.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I'd put LD at the top spot, with SNW and Prodigy fighting for second. LD manages to thread the needle with absurdist humor that still gets what trek is

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Prodigy is probably the best Modern Trek show with Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks in a knife fight for second place. Picard gets a participation ribbon that says "You Almost Tried" on it, and Discovery... I paused for a solid minute trying to think of ways to finish that sentence, so I'll just leave the thought unfinished.

Drove all of them to the competition then fell asleep in the car?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Twincityhacker posted:

Drove all of them to the competition then fell asleep in the car?

Yeah, that works really well. There'd be no LDS, SNW and PRO without Discovery, but it is one real shitass deadbeat parent.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If anything it's been really funny watching the abrupt shift from Discovery's initial launch into producing stuff that people who liked Star Trek might actually enjoy and fanservicey mush

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tighclops posted:

If anything it's been really funny watching the abrupt shift from Discovery's initial launch into producing stuff that people who liked Star Trek might actually enjoy and fanservicey mush

It Mr. Magoo'd its way to giving us three great Star Trek shows and one absolutely hilarious for all the wrong reasons Star Trek-ish show while never rising itself beyond the blistering heights of "Oh, it still exists? Wow."

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

MikeJF posted:

Well good for her but also yikes considering how many people Seven murders in a bar shooting.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only good thing about Seven and Raffi is that it retroactively validates the fact that Seven had way more sexual tension with Janeway than she did with any of the men.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the turbolift dimension will always be funny.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the turbolift dimension will always be funny.

Funny? Funny??? Do you have any idea how many turbolift technicians have been lost in that dimension on what was meant to be a quick mantince job, never be to be seen again???? Just go a head and tell their deeply bereaved loved ones you think it's funny!!!!!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

The only good thing about Seven and Raffi is that it retroactively validates the fact that Seven had way more sexual tension with Janeway than she did with any of the men.

Or that Chakotay was so bad for her it literally turned her gay.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Or that Chakotay was so bad for her it literally turned her gay.

I choose that to be the canon explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
That’s not how being gay works. Seven was either gay or bi or pan or whatever. Chakotay seemed like a nice enough guy she probably just got bored of him like everyone else did.