Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I’m amused I bumbled into using most of the weaker characters like Lapis Etie and Anna on Hard so they got some time to shine before I take off the kid gloves for Maddening and throttle the life out of most of the game with Kagetsu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally got everything set up for my "reclass everyone" gimmick run :getin:

The rules I'm using are:
1. Every unit must change class via Second Seal at their earliest opportunity. Exception: Lythos and Firene units are allowed to reach level 10 and promote first to avoid a situation where everyone has to delay promotion a bunch because they reclassed in their base class. (This is because it impossible to class change before completing Chapter 6, so you can't just reclass immediately.)
2. When units reclass, every unit must lose access to their signature weapon type (that is, whatever weapon type they were equipped with when they joined).
3. Units must also either lose access to their other weapon type(s) or change unit type. Ideally both.
4. No more than two units in the same class across the entire roster. This includes units who end up benched. Classes with multiple weapon variants count as the same class.
5. Seadall is allowed to stay a Dancer because nobody else can take that role.

I'm using cheats that let me class change without the required weapon proficiencies and without using seals so that I can reclass anyone the moment the game allows. Notably this will help with gold economy because I don't have to buy Second Seals but this isn't a challenge run, it's a gently caress-around gimmick run, so hey.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Is not using seadall on a run just a personal handicap decision

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't think I'm ever getting over that name

I don't think anyone but Citrinne matches the color commonly associated with their name. Like technically red diamonds are a thing, but I wouldn’t say Lapis in particular stands out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

GateOfD posted:

I went a couple maps without using Seadall and didn't really miss his absence that much. My logic was I could have a unit that lets one of my units fight twice, or instead have 2 units that could fight instead.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

I don't think I'm ever getting over that name

I switched over to japanese to see if it had a better name there but it's just wille glanz in katakana.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

GateOfD posted:

I think so. Even outside the normal dancer applications of "now my chosen god unit gets to take two turns", dancing now also provides insane utility swings like being able to do two dragon veins per turn.

You can assuredly beat the game without him but it's very hard to make a credible case that he's not one of the strongest pieces in the game, and he doesn't even suck up an emblem to be that way.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

CharlestonJew posted:

I went a couple maps without using Seadall and didn't really miss his absence that much. My logic was I could have a unit that lets one of my units fight twice, or instead have 2 units that could fight instead.

a dancer is so much more than just an extra round of combat

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
learning the power of dancers is an important rite of passage for a fire emblem player

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Dancers ftw, the flexibility they allow is invaluable

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seadal can be used twice since Byleth exists, so one character can have 4 actions in a single turn.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Somewhat related to dancing, I think I want to get Reposition on more units my next playthrough. It’s easily the best movement skill in the game and it’s only 200 SP.

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.

cheetah7071 posted:

learning the power of dancers is an important rite of passage for a fire emblem player

I've played FE games religiously since I was a kid playing on game boy

I've never used a dancer because I think they're dumb

EDIT: Exception is the Herons in POR/RD because I'm fairly certain the game made me use them

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Dancers are always in the top five units in every game, no exceptions. There’s basically no excuse not to run one if you care about optimization at all. I’m not running Seadall on my first run but he’s definitely a staple I’m using on Maddening

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have noticed a trend. Every time I have had a meal at the Somniel that was so bad it put stat penalties on the diners, I was dining with Goldmary. Clearly there's a lesson here.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Never eat with someone who has incentive to sabotage the cook to make herself look better?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Shiny777 posted:

Never eat with someone who has incentive to sabotage the cook to make herself look better?

Invaluable advice

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Please. Goldmary is far too confident in her invincible superiority over the other cooks on the Somniel to lower herself to puerile sabotage. Sabotaging others would imply she didn't believe she was the best, after all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Alternatively, everyone just hates Goldmary.

Which tracks, given all of her supports I've seen so far. :v:

She's on my list to use in my next run, though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Thank you Harrow for alerting me to these amazing crits earlier today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkorBDCRlao

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Seadall is even more potent than a normal dancer because of how power is so tied to gear. When he pops up letting on of your dudes with one of your only good forges and one of your precious few emblems get a second round is incredibly potent compared to having another guy with a bond ring and near stock weapon taking a turn.

I just viewed my results from the relay I threw out after beating the game last night. We went 3/3 on players deploying and killing Annas before someone broke the trend. I had a right laugh at how the no duplicates clause only applied to living units on the board.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I decided to start my next run with fixed growths, and this has me the tiniest bit anxious because I have to actually make good decisions rather than just do silly things and see which dice land in my favor

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Boy, it is eye opening how bad maddening exp is when you pop right back to Hard and suddenly the exp bar is allowed to move again at a visible rate.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
one of my rules for my maddening run is for 'canon' cutscene people to be part of the squad.

so nicely, that includes Diamant, and Ivy.

Alfred I guess... and oh boy Vander. When does he stop being an exp hog.

and somehow Timerra seems to be allowed to randomly be there in cutscenes for a line or two here. is that it?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

inthesto posted:

I decided to start my next run with fixed growths, and this has me the tiniest bit anxious because I have to actually make good decisions rather than just do silly things and see which dice land in my favor

Almost everyone will turn out decent as long as you don't put them in a class that's the opposite of what they're good at. Fixed growths stop you from getting god units but they also stop you from getting anyone completely screwed. There's also a couple of classes that are quick fixes for specific problems - putting anyone into Warrior will almost assuredly give them a gigantic base strength buff, and putting anyone into Great Knight will almost assuredly give them an enormous base defense buff.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Moonling14/status/1618354816308350978

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

GateOfD posted:

one of my rules for my maddening run is for 'canon' cutscene people to be part of the squad.

so nicely, that includes Diamant, and Ivy.

Alfred I guess... and oh boy Vander. When does he stop being an exp hog.

and somehow Timerra seems to be allowed to randomly be there in cutscenes for a line or two here. is that it?

Citrine and Lapis.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love how over the month we've all warmed up to these complete psycho people.

Also gonna have to download that mod if it is one

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
...Of course one of Byleth's random lines when saying hi in the Somniel is "Greetings, Divine One! Nothing to report!"

Barreft posted:

I love how over the month we've all warmed up to these complete psycho people.

They're mostly hilarious and I like most of these wackadoodles.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Cythereal posted:

...Of course one of Byleth's random lines when saying hi in the Somniel is "Greetings, Divine One! Nothing to report!"

They're mostly hilarious and I like most of these wackadoodles.

I just remember the talk for months beforehand. I was one, hell Yunaka annoyed me at first! Once I realized you're the normal person in a sea of crazy people loving watching you sleep or workout it clicked for me. lol

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
There was a period of time when people didn't like Engage's cast? :psyduck:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Pungry posted:

There was a period of time when people didn't like Engage's cast? :psyduck:

Yeah, it's called "the entire period of time from the game's announcement until a couple days after it released" for a lot of people. I don't agree with them at all, but it was close to the prevailing opinion before people fell in love.

Hell, you still get the odd post talking about how the person skips all the dialogue and cutscenes because they hate the story and the cast and everything in the game except the gameplay.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Many people had already made up their minds about the game's writing before playing it and realising actualy game is cool.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Kanos posted:

Yeah, it's called "the entire period of time from the game's announcement until a couple days after it released" for a lot of people. I don't agree with them at all, but it was close to the prevailing opinion before people fell in love.

Hell, you still get the odd post talking about how the person skips all the dialogue and cutscenes because they hate the story and the cast and everything in the game except the gameplay.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I honestly don't get the thing some people say that the marketing didn't sell the game well. I feel like what I expected and what I got are almost identical.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

The marketing and early cast didn’t do the game any favours but Celine and Chloe are great and everything post them is really solid

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I watched a singular Engage trailer, and said "I'm not a huge fan of fanservice callbacks and Alear's toothpaste design, but I'll probably enjoy the game regardless"

I was correct

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Engage also had basically no advertisement or lead-up, in part because it was literally 4 months from announcement to sale, but also it didn't even get its own direct.

Consider that Fire Emblem SoV got part of its own direct, and TMS got multiple Direct advertisements before release.

A *large* amount of people outside of hardcore followers (this thread is the .001%) didn't even know what the Emblem system was or how it worked. Many thought it was just a spin-off game.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

More games should be 4 months from announcement to sale tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Another win for Fire Emblem Engage