Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

my problem with geordi's uniform there is that it's just a leather jacket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My problem with Picard's is that it's suede, the least appropriate material for extraplanetary exploration.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

Or that he was cooked up and named in a lab in India but pieced together with gene samples from all over the world.

For some reason, I always figured that the Augments came in two flavors: Soviet Supermen to Prove the Greatness and Vision of the Revolution and American Supermen because We Need Them to be Fight Soviet Supermen.

So basically Superman: Red Son.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snorb posted:

I know the late 2380s (Season 1 flashback) and 2390s (Season 1 proper) uniforms, but what's the difference between the Season 2 and 3 uniforms? (I honest to God don't remember what the PIC Season 2 uniform looks like.)

Upon closer inspection, it appears the Season 2 and 3 uniforms are the same. I just though the Season 3 ones looked off, but I just checked Memory Alpha and it's the same as the ones Rios and Raffi are wearing in Episode 1, that mix of the Voyager coloured shoulderpads and the Battlestar Galactica double-breasted front flap uniform design.

So yeah, there's the 2380s and 2390s uniforms from Season 1, the 2400s standard uniforms from Season 2 and 3, the Ace Custom all leather uniforms that Geordi, Deanna, Will, and Worf are sporting in Season 3, another custom uniform that only Riker seems to sport in Season 3, and then the brainscape mishmash uniform that's half First Contact uniform and half Season 2/3 uniform that James Callis wears as Head Maurice Picard.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
There's an episode of DS9 where Keiko opens a school and a kid says a vulcan stole his ethics homework. I choose to belive it was just trolley problem stuff.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Auralnauts once again proving that they can spin gold out of any old tired poo poo. Because holy poo poo does this look like tired old poo poo. (I had not seen the trailers for this before because why would anyone?)

https://youtu.be/9Mu1TMZZZrY

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Prurient Squid posted:

There's an episode of DS9 where Keiko opens a school and a kid says a vulcan stole his ethics homework. I choose to belive it was just trolley problem stuff.

Is that the space version of "my dog ate it"?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My targ ate my datapadd

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

So yeah, there's the 2380s and 2390s uniforms from Season 1, the 2400s standard uniforms from Season 2 and 3, the Ace Custom all leather uniforms that Geordi, Deanna, Will, and Worf are sporting in Season 3, another custom uniform that only Riker seems to sport in Season 3, and then the brainscape mishmash uniform that's half First Contact uniform and half Season 2/3 uniform that James Callis wears as Head Maurice Picard.

I think the custom uniform only Riker is seeming to wear is just the leather jacket worn weirdly. And I expect that the Ace Custom all leather is just the excursion jacket: we've often seen those. Basically these.

They have very similar leather ones over on SNW, albeit without colors:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 16, 2023

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
DSC even had tactical vests (with body armor!!! On Star Trek!!!) in its second episode; I know Burnham and Georgiou were wearing them when they went onto the Sarcophagus.

My guess is the Starfleet colored leather jacket Geordi was wearing was an excursion jacket, and it's an option for the 25c. Starfleet uniform. (If I had to rate the uniforms, my top three are First Contact, Lower Decks, and Picard Seasons 2/3.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I'm hoping someone makes a sewing pattern for the Lower Decks uniforms. Bonus points if I'm able to adapt it into a skant. I love a good skant.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Snorb posted:

DSC even had tactical vests (with body armor!!! On Star Trek!!!) in its second episode; I know Burnham and Georgiou were wearing them when they went onto the Sarcophagus.

There's kind of a weird precedent for this in Search For Spock, I think, but the armour was chunky orange plastic or something with matching helmets because a lot of the costume design in that movie is loving wild

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It was TMP, they showed up again in ST:VI when a potato pot was murdered.

ST:III had the security officers in the puffy felt baseball caps which had Sulu just humiliating them with his stylish leather cape.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Who wore it better?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ah, I forgot about the guy guarding Spock's door.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Snorb posted:

My guess is the Starfleet colored leather jacket Geordi was wearing was an excursion jacket, and it's an option for the 25c. Starfleet uniform. (If I had to rate the uniforms, my top three are First Contact, Lower Decks, and Picard Seasons 2/3.)

Yeah, they use body armor on all away-team missions in the first two season of Discovery, if they aren't in complete environmental suits. Which, judging by all the injures that could have been at least partially midigated by body armor in TOS and TNG, seems like a good idea.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Discovery/SNW tactical vests and environment suits for away missions is one of those things that should just be ported to everything from now on, same as Medical having it's own division colour

Also Janeways winter uniforms with hoodies from Prodigy. I'm down with those.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snorb posted:

Combadge aside, I might actually put the Prodigy uniforms at the top, they're a really good update. (The general Starfleet ones, not the special Protostar uniforms) Basically an update to the lower decks uniforms to be more live-action-like.

The PIC 2/3 uniforms are also very similar, although with the black and colours flipped.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Combadge aside, I might actually put the Prodigy uniforms at the top, they're a really good update. (The general Starfleet ones, not the special Protostar uniforms) Basically an update to the lower decks uniforms to be more live-action-like.

The PIC 2/3 uniforms are also very similar, although with the black and colours flipped.

Yeah, the Protostar-specific uniforms, and honestly, every "cadet" uniform they've put the kids in look like moldy rear end. They need to get them into the normal Starfleet uniforms that Janeway and co. are sporting ASAP.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Seemlar posted:

Discovery/SNW tactical vests and environment suits for away missions is one of those things that should just be ported to everything from now on, same as Medical having it's own division colour

Also Janeways winter uniforms with hoodies from Prodigy. I'm down with those.
I would greatly prefer returning the environment belts from TAS. You could even make 'em invisible and have simple rules for them. And you can still get ambushed if you left them off, you have tension if they break or they can't run forever...

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Finished season 1 of Picard, and on the whole, I didn't really hate it. It's certainly not great, but it's not outright terrible. I think the biggest problem it has is that they started out with things they definitely wanted to include, like Data, the Borg, 7/9, Romulans etc and then retroactively tried to fit all those pieces into a coherent story, which didn't really work. I think having a whole storyline about synth life and then only making the borg some tertiary plot device instead of integrating them into the story better, as well as bringing back Data just to kill him again was a big waste, and "killing" off Picard only to reveal it being a fakeout and him getting a brand new synth body identical to his old body was also A Choice. But at least I sorta liked that Picard was all about hope and optimism carrying the day in the end (even if I groaned a bit at the "Picard maneuver" because of course they'd bring that up)

All in all I expected way worse.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It was TMP, they showed up again in ST:VI when a potato pot was murdered.

ST:III had the security officers in the puffy felt baseball caps which had Sulu just humiliating them with his stylish leather cape.

Geordi is absolutely going to Sulu's tailor for his custom flag uniform...

https://twitter.com/MicaBurton/status/1625567332306386945

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I choose to believe that Takei wore his own clothing for those films.

Also Chekhov though…

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I keep seeing a black apron on Geordi. Like he's catering.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Brawnfire posted:

I keep seeing a black apron on Geordi. Like he's catering.

“Are we having a coolant leak yet?” :heysexy:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Best to worst 23rd century drip from left to right

Chekov, buddy, come on man

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

I choose to believe that Takei wore his own clothing for those films.

Also Chekhov though…

Takei I can buy, Koenig's looks too overdesigned "future clothes" to be something he'd wear in real life. DeForest Kelley is the one who who showed up on set wearing whatever the gently caress he walked in off the street wearing that day. Multiple times:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat got to Measure of a Man in my rewatch. It gets me EVERY drat TIME. So good and that loving ending with Riker and Data in the ready room with Data saying he'll never forget what Riker did , so loving good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Hollismason posted:

drat got to Measure of a Man in my rewatch. It gets me EVERY drat TIME. So good and that loving ending with Riker and Data in the ready room with Data saying he'll never forget what Riker did , so loving good.

I'd argue it's TNG's first great episode. The first season had some good episodes (off the top of my head, Where No One Has Gone Before, The Battle, The Big Goodbye, 11001001, Heart of Glory, Conspiracy, The Neutral Zone), but The Measure of a Man is the first time the series showed that it could be really, really special.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The original Star Trek uniforms are iconic, but also they're kind of cheap-looking since they're loose sweaters. The movie uniforms are nice and military-looking, but they lose something from all being red instead of a variety of colors. (aside from the first movie where the uniforms didn't look very good and also were ludicrously expensive) TNG's spandex suits were also iconic, but demented in their own way, since skintight spandex bodysuits are hard for most actors to look good in, and they were destroying Patrick Stewart's spine. The later uniforms lacked color, but at least they fit.

I think my favorite uniforms might be Lower Decks, since it brings back the color, but also has a stylized jacket flap to give a more military look and also look more like a piece of clothing that can be put on. They even maintain the whole shoulder motif that uniforms had been getting into. And since they didn't physically exist, there's no actual worries about fitting. The Bajoran uniforms were also pretty nice.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It doesn’t help that the newer Picard uniforms also darkened the red and blue to a deep maroon and a very dark teal/blue-green. Coupled with the darker lighting in just about every set, nothing about about the uniforms pops at all unless you’re wearing the somehow-unchanged mustard/gold.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

McCloud posted:

Finished season 1 of Picard, and on the whole, I didn't really hate it. It's certainly not great, but it's not outright terrible. I think the biggest problem it has is that they started out with things they definitely wanted to include, like Data, the Borg, 7/9, Romulans etc and then retroactively tried to fit all those pieces into a coherent story, which didn't really work. I think having a whole storyline about synth life and then only making the borg some tertiary plot device instead of integrating them into the story better, as well as bringing back Data just to kill him again was a big waste, and "killing" off Picard only to reveal it being a fakeout and him getting a brand new synth body identical to his old body was also A Choice. But at least I sorta liked that Picard was all about hope and optimism carrying the day in the end (even if I groaned a bit at the "Picard maneuver" because of course they'd bring that up)

All in all I expected way worse.

You didn't find the Space Legolas, aimed to cater to the "I studied the blade"-crowd, annoying or just blatant attempt to make Trek have Jedi knight equivalent? That was to me by far the most stupid thing that has no excuse stemming from either prior series writing (Picard is incurably ill) or COVID-19 messing with the production (last episode fleet scenes and tentacle monsters).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I thought I'd hate Elnor but the actor somehow managed to make him actually kinda endearing in spite of literally everything.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
The Qwat Milat are one of my favorite additions to the Trek universe from the new series - giving the Romulans their own order of knight/samurai badasses was long overdue.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

I thought I'd hate Elnor but the actor somehow managed to make him actually kinda endearing in spite of literally everything.

Yeah, Elnor was great because he was so earnest that it wrapped back around to being (as you said) endearing.

Too bad they just decided to jettison him out of the show completely to make room for *checks notes* the showrunner’s buddy and half a dozen new bridge characters who’ll never get a single line of dialogue.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, Elnor was great because he was so earnest that it wrapped back around to being (as you said) endearing.

Too bad they just decided to jettison him out of the show completely to make room for *checks notes* the showrunner’s buddy and half a dozen new bridge characters who’ll never get a single line of dialogue.

But don't you see, Picard is all about the Next Generation...! No, the other one. ...Not that one either.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, Elnor's actor playing the part 100% sincerely keeps the character from being awful in my opinion.

Now, the fact that I can never remember if the character is actually named Elnor or if that's just a joke about how much of an out of place LOTR elf he is is another matter.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

8one6 posted:

Yeah, Elnor's actor playing the part 100% sincerely keeps the character from being awful in my opinion.

Now, the fact that I can never remember if the character is actually named Elnor or if that's just a joke about how much of an out of place LOTR elf he is is another matter.

Yes, his name is Elnor and it's intentional because "El Nor" means "Star Trek" in one of Tolkien's elven languages. He was literally meant to be Space Legolas from page 1 of the first draft.

And yes, he was carried entirely by Evan Evagora's wonderful acting and I hope the guy gets a better role on a better show or movie soon because he got cocked over by Star Trek turbo hard.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yes, his name is Elnor and it's intentional because "El Nor" means "Star Trek" in one of Tolkien's elven languages. He was literally meant to be Space Legolas from page 1 of the first draft.

And yes, he was carried entirely by Evan Evagora's wonderful acting and I hope the guy gets a better role on a better show or movie soon because he got cocked over by Star Trek turbo hard.

It's like the first two seasons of Picard were a writers room contest to see who could gently caress over the characters the hardest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I agree Elnor was charming and welcome as a personality. I'd drop the whole sword elf angle and just make him a young Romulan coming to grips with what being Romulan means after everything that's happened to Romulus. Having him join the Federation was somewhat intriguing and I'd have liked to see more of one of the first Romulans in Starfleet after centuries of mistrust and tensions reaching an inflection point like that.