Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

HootTheOwl posted:

I did hear it second hand, but also isn't there agacha mobile game?
To be fair I'm not too plugged into the Nintendo hype machine and didn't even know it was out until I was seeing ads on you tube

there is. It's completely unrelated to engage, though that didn't stop some very bad dooming from people who completely misread the trailers and would confidently claim it was a port of the mobile game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Supremezero posted:

Sure.

Except that that +3 steel sword costs you a lot more than the +3 liberation. And going from +3 to +5 on liberation is just kind of dirt cheap in general, whereas doing so on a steel sword is ridiculous. The cost of a +5 liberation is the same as a +3 steel sword, except 1 more steel.

Yeah, every time you go up a material level, forging becomes exponentially more materials-intensive. The Liberation is sort of an in-between track between Iron and Steel, being a little better and more expensive than the former but notably cheaper than the latter, which makes it very efficient to upgrade early to carry yourself with.

There's a lot of weird sweet spots for forging returns relative to cost. Silver weapons ram incredibly hard into diminishing returns after +2, for example, because the cost jumps from 1 silver per level to 3 and then 5.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Male Alear has a similar problem to male Corrin where he looks like he’s in toddler clothes despite being a grown man and (at least in the dub) has an annoying whiny voice. So they’re cringy and their naïveté comes off more like being a titanic moron with zero social skills. The girl versions come off a lot better because they look a lot younger so them being naive doesn’t feel like idiocy and more like being young. and they have much better fashion sense that doesn’t immediately make you cringe (well FemAlears hair color still does but what can you do?).

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Male Alear has real good VA though?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alear is a teenager who cares a lot, perhaps a little too much, and both actors are pretty good at getting that across. Good casting for both VA imo

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The big reason to keep Libération as Alear's main weapon, other than the Engage bonus, is that it's a solid weapon that can be upgraded for cheap, while everything else you forge can be given to other units.

I never bothered giving them anything else, because I didn't even have one forged weapon per unit until like the third act, at which point Alear's most important combat skill was their avoid.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Einander posted:

It feels weird as hell to drop a Prf in a no-durability game, but... There's really no reason to keep using Alear's Liberation sword after they promote, is there? Compared to Liberation+3, a Steel Sword+3 is +3 Might, -5 Hit and +5 Crit in exchange for 7 Weight, and if you stick one of the -Weight engraves on it then Alear hits that 7 Build requirement on promotion even without forges. The ability on Liberation isn't that good, either, or at least I never noticed it making a serious difference on my Hard playthrough.

I thought meter was "number of turns until they can re-engage" which made Liberation's special ability look a lot stronger. The meter's more discrete than that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Just to confirm, there's nothing I can do with all the reject gacha rings, is there?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Suddenly I'm seeing why so many people called Alear a meh combat unit. They're force deployed every map, toss em a forged killing edge and let them shred bad guys like you would with any other unit that you want to one round with. Their personal sword doesn't scale well at all. Yeah, it's cheap to upgrade, by why not spend that cheap tossing a couple weapons worth using a +1 instead?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm playing the early game of my reclass everyone run and every time Boucheron crits I keep saying "the bouche is loose" to myself

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Just to confirm, there's nothing I can do with all the reject gacha rings, is there?

You can technically fuse them together to make higher ranks of that particular ring but it's too expensive and there's no point.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Harrow posted:

I'm playing the early game of my reclass everyone run and every time Boucheron crits I keep saying "the bouche is loose" to myself

dafuq

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Bruceski posted:

You can merge duplicates to upgrade to higher tiers, but that gets expensive quickly, and unless you are looking for specific S ranks it's a dubious investment since you will probably get enough decent ones as-is.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
More like Doucheron.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Harrow posted:

lol

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

FoolyCharged posted:

Suddenly I'm seeing why so many people called Alear a meh combat unit. They're force deployed every map, toss em a forged killing edge and let them shred bad guys like you would with any other unit that you want to one round with. Their personal sword doesn't scale well at all. Yeah, it's cheap to upgrade, by why not spend that cheap tossing a couple weapons worth using a +1 instead?

Forged Liberation holds up for a very long time, and as said above it costs a bit cheaper to forge to similar Mt as a Steel Sword. Even when you start getting Silver Swords Liberation's low Wt keeps it relevant.

Also Divine Dragon is mediocre as a combat class, but when reclassed to something like Griffin or Wyvern Alear performs well, on the same level as Chloe. As a Divine Dragon you're basically committing to a support role the longer the game progresses.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alear has more strength than any of my units except for Panette and top 5 in speed.

Very strong dude.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Harrow posted:

Been saying this for a while

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

galagazombie posted:

Male Alear has a similar problem to male Corrin where he looks like he’s in toddler clothes despite being a grown man and (at least in the dub) has an annoying whiny voice. So they’re cringy and their naïveté comes off more like being a titanic moron with zero social skills. The girl versions come off a lot better because they look a lot younger so them being naive doesn’t feel like idiocy and more like being young. and they have much better fashion sense that doesn’t immediately make you cringe (well FemAlears hair color still does but what can you do?).

Also this is weird, MAlear is great

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Would I be a terrible person if I just didn't Second Seal Alear when they hit 20 to keep skirmish scaling managable?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

No, but you would be a coward. :colbert:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
sucks that a lot of the s-rank weapons are boring vanilla sticks with almost no exciting crit or avoid or at least a small unique feature

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Maybe it's not viable on maddening but on hard Alear with Tikki tanks good and tears up stuff good as a dragon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Would I be a terrible person if I just didn't Second Seal Alear when they hit 20 to keep skirmish scaling managable?

My Alear hit 10/20 after chapter 20 and the skirmish I got was Advanced Level 10, so I feel like there must be a cap of some sort

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Avalerion posted:

Maybe it's not viable on maddening but on hard Alear with Tikki tanks good and tears up stuff good as a dragon.

Pretty much anyone can with Tiki early on. +5 to all stats is pretty absurd and for Alear at least its basically pure upside since if you're keeping them as a Divine Dragon they're functionally melee locked anyways.

Tiki does fall off towards the end of the game even on hard though, enemies and effective weapons scale up a lot.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

blizzardvizard posted:

My Alear hit 10/20 after chapter 20 and the skirmish I got was Advanced Level 10, so I feel like there must be a cap of some sort

yes, the cap being that that your Alear stopped leveling after 10/20, which corresponds to Advanced Level 10, because it scales off Alear's internal level and assumes that you promote at level 20

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

FoolyCharged posted:

There are a half-dozen other swordies that can do everything Alear would do with a Sword but on par/better, but there're only two units in the game that can abuse Dragon Vein/Max Range Dreadful Aura and Spectrum Rally Dance, and Alear is one of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Roughly comparative resource investments:

Liberation +5 is 12 mt, 115(!) hit, and 5 crit for 5 wt for a total of 250 iron, 10 steel, and 3 silver. If you skip the final upgrade, you lose 1 mt, 5 hit, and 5 crit but save 70 iron, 4 steel, and 1 silver.

Steel Sword +4 is 13 mt, 95 hit, and 10 crit for 7 wt for a total of 260 iron, 10 steel, and 2 silver.

Silver Sword +2 is 14 mt, 95 hit, and 0 crit for 11 wt for a total of 150 iron, 15 steel, and 2 silver.

Killing Edge +4 is 13 mt, 75 hit, and 45 crit for 10 wt for a total of 150 iron, 15 steel, and 2 silver. This one's a little deceptive because the game doesn't give you the ability to straight up buy a killing edge for a little while, so if you want one early you need to tack on the cost of upgrading a steel to it.

The difference in weapon power for the same investment is not big even if you completely ignore Liberation's passive. Liberation's accuracy is also a huge boon on maddening.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 16, 2023

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Their personal sword doesn't scale well at all. Yeah, it's cheap to upgrade, by why not spend that cheap tossing a couple weapons worth using a +1 instead?

The Liberation doesn't scale as well as other weapons into the late game, but it's fairly cheap to upgrade and the +5 is the same damage as a Silver Sword at less than half the weight, with more accuracy and crit, and I had a Liberation+5 very early in the game, I'm pretty sure well before I even had frequent access to steel weapons. Since Alear is the one mandatory deployment on every map, it makes a lot of sense to upgrade their special sword when it's that cheap, IMO.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Why not just forge a Steel Sword +3 instead of the Liberation +5, though? Because you can do that just as soon as you can forge the Liberation, and the Steel Sword can eventually go to +5 for 15 Might and you can hand it off to someone else. The Hit is useful on Maddening, but handing off the sword when Alear gets to the part where they start doing dragon things most turns is even more useful.

I guess immediately forging up the first Steel Sword does delay you getting the Levin Sword, but you don't really need that before post-chapter 8, when Diamant shows up carrying a second Steel and the third one pops up in the shops.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I assume you're still going to want your Alear to have an actually functional weapon for turns where they're required to actually fight, so you'd need to budget the cost of whatever weapon you replace the steel sword with when you hand off the upgraded steel into the equation.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

It's the hit rate for me personally, and also because I actually planned to make Alear into a combat unit. If you're just gonna make them do dragon emblem stuff though then yeah there's no real need to forge up a Liberation

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I just engraved Liberation with something that gives them more evasion because that's mostly when i need Alear to do - not die.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm gonna be honest, I only realized until the third playthrough where I'm using all the rejects that Micaiah actually does let non-healers use staves because I always put her on a natural staff user.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

My Alear was massively blessed but she did some work with Liberation. I probably should've swapped to a silver sword, but I like using prfs tbh, and it's not like Silver weapons look particularly good aside from the axe. Still Alear was easily my mvp in my hard run.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tae posted:

I'm gonna be honest, I only realized until the third playthrough where I'm using all the rejects that Micaiah actually does let non-healers use staves because I always put her on a natural staff user.

Did you think Yunaka was a trickster or something?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Hellioning posted:

Did you think Yunaka was a trickster or something?

I never healed with her outside of great sacrifice until this run when I can't use Framme or Jean

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Could have sworn her intro chapter made her heal....

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hellioning posted:

Could have sworn her intro chapter made her heal....

It focuses on the only “who gives a poo poo” part of her kit: the fact that Shine works like a torch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
My Alear didn't need healing then
:fyadride: