Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

lol @ ITV news

HAVE WE EVER SEEN A POLITICIAN WALK AWAY AT A TIME OF THEIR CHOOSING

um yes jacinta arden literally just a few weeks ago

David Cameron wasn't that long ago either, despite the country going through about 50 PMs since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
tony

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OwlFancier posted:

Which they have already done a number of times to left leaning candidates so I don't think that would be an issue, there is no recourse, labour is full of people who will take absolutely no action about this (and indeed, there is no action they could take because he clearly neither needs nor wants the left to achieve his goals) so I don't think it will make any difference.

whenever increased party control over who is allowed to run comes up in Yankland to get rid of terrible conservative democrats, the UK is one of my top examples for "uh this might not work out the way you want it to"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You might possibly be able to do it with some sort of mass voting kind of centralization, the specific issue with the labour party is that it is extremely institutional and the politicians who run the party have the majority of the control and they're all garbage, but that is also the problem with every political system in general and there are reasons why there is no move to actually distribute power.

Ideally it would simply be legal to hunt politicians for sport and they would have to rely on people actually liking them but unfortunately there is no clear way to actually get to that system because a politician by definition is someone with enough institutional power to protect themselves at everyone else's expense.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Ideally, the Labour party should have a requirement that for someone to become an elected official, they should have had to have done a proper job at some point. Preferably for significantly below the median wage. It wouldn't get rid of all the wrong'uns, and would stop a few good'uns getting in, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make with sharp, pointy knives.

I keep coming back to the same point - the people running Labour don't have a clue what life is actually like for the working class, and they surround themselves with other clueless cunts so they never have to find out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

But that's again by design, that is the nature of politics, power is self accumulating, once a powerful class exists it will utilize its power to favour itself and perpetuate itself.

The issue with ideal forms of government is they require the non ideal, existing forms of government to be dismantled and they simply don't do that by themselves, and unfortunately anything that seeks to challenge them and force them to do that, usually has its own problems which simply become entrenched in the new government.

And that's thinking revolutionarily, when you're dealing with people who are already capable of getting the connections to become an MP looking to become a powerful person within the existing system, of course the likely seats are going to the shithouse mates of the guys already in seats, of course the ones in seats are going to band together to keep the gravy train running for them and theirs. That's a natural outflow of the nature of power.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Feb 16, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
our current general protocol is "if you want to register as [party] and run you can do that"

this does mean that literal actual Nazis get Republican noms in doomed seats, and Republicans in Democrats' clothing get Democrat noms in various places, but it also means the New York Democratic Party couldn't look at AOC challenging their golden boy and go "lol nope"

I believe extremely firmly this is a better model than *waves hand at Keir Starmer*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

what kind of name is Keir anyway? Is it Posh? is he hearkening back to some Cornish heritage or some poo poo?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

were his parents pretty cool and he just had to rebel by becoming a damp mayonnaise-slathered slice of mediocre bread?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Google Jeb Bush posted:

what kind of name is Keir anyway? Is it Posh? is he hearkening back to some Cornish heritage or some poo poo?

Named after Keir Hardie, presumably he's trying to solve our energy crisis by harnessing the man spinning in his grave

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's Scottish as far as I know.

There is a much better Keir who shares the name and position.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't live in the UK but I still hate Labour because its existence means I can never with honesty in my heart say that any individual Dem or the Democratic Party generally is just the worst in the world about anything. Like they must spend all their money and time on researching new ways to be lovely.

It's almost certainly because the Dems didn't need to hit the "kill the party to kill the left" button because they crushed Bernie in time, unlike Corbyn, and the stenographer corps here is - again it pains me to say - far better than there and didn't care who won once it was between the final two.

If it ever comes to it, Keith loses the media instantly and completely and loses by 20 points right?

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Raquel Welch has died, aged 1,002,022, near enough.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nah he might get in to give the Tories a rest while their next dictator in waiting makes their way up through the ranks. As soon as they're ready to resume the rulership to which they are entitled though, he'll be out on his ear like the twerp he is

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Miftan posted:

David Cameron wasn't that long ago either, despite the country going through about 50 PMs since then.

Doo do doooo

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

I forget who shared the UFO thread with me but thanks!

I spent the last hour or so catching up and holy poo poo what the gently caress is going on? Meteorites! Doomsday planes! Helicopters falling out of the sky!

This is clearly a psyop by Sturgeon to distract us from her husband felching £500k.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

I don't live in the UK but I still hate Labour because its existence means I can never with honesty in my heart say that any individual Dem or the Democratic Party generally is just the worst in the world about anything. Like they must spend all their money and time on researching new ways to be lovely.

It's almost certainly because the Dems didn't need to hit the "kill the party to kill the left" button because they crushed Bernie in time, unlike Corbyn, and the stenographer corps here is - again it pains me to say - far better than there and didn't care who won once it was between the final two.

If it ever comes to it, Keith loses the media instantly and completely and loses by 20 points right?

Pretty much. Labour's huge swing in the polls isn't credited to Labour gaining massive support but from the Conservative party collapsing, and the conservative party collapsed because the British press suddenly decided to notice the glaringly obvious corruption and incompetence that's been there since David Cameron. If they so choose, they'll turn on Keir as soon as it's convenient and it absolutely would not be difficult to destroy him.

Edit: For an example of how the British Press works

https://twitter.com/wizbates/status/1625840211514081280

Alex Salmond has been accused of sexual assault by ten women.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 16, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

lol put a name to it you loving cowards
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/15/the-guardian-view-on-labour-and-antisemitism-two-cheers-for-keir-starmer

e: Assisted death of Tories? First loving good idea they've come up with! Ofcourse they want to discuss killing people off. Wankstains.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 16, 2023

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mugsbaloney posted:

This is clearly a psyop by Sturgeon to distract us from her husband felching.

drat.

I'm never gonna be able to listen to "Like A Sturgeon" the same way again.

E: oh wait it was "Like A Surgeon". Dangit

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Be careful about posting libel about Alex Salmond, those rape charges were not proven.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

british gas owner centrica profits tripled in 2022

luv a good british success story
luv liz qween
luv liz truss
'ate remoaners
'ate affordable lecky

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Miftan posted:

he was forced into it because he'd just hosed the country, op

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

he was forced into it because he'd just hosed the country, op

By any reasonable metric he was forced, but Johnson would absolutely have stayed if he were in that position.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Diet Crack posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/feb/15/the-guardian-view-on-labour-and-antisemitism-two-cheers-for-keir-starmer

e: Assisted death of Tories? First loving good idea they've come up with! Ofcourse they want to discuss killing people off. Wankstains.

Eh, with our dystopian governments I wouldn't put it past it being morphed into another inheritance loophole.

Pay to die with dignity, get 100% inheritance tax relief.

Meanwhile a similar state funded assisted death will be rolled out for the plebs.

The later will then transform to mandatory assisted death for [insert quantifiable metric that isolates non tory voters], and then further extended to the unemployed, homeless, asylum seekers and whatever other nebulous poo poo they'll gradually introduce.

Death of society literally by a thousand jabs.

Note, I'm for assisted death. I'm not for a country run by selfish idiots voted in by selfish idiots.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Diet Crack posted:

momentarily had me excited for a new series of league of gentlemen

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

It's totally not part of the "get everyone working to rescue the economy" bailout plan
the quiet bit out loud is get rid of all the 'freeloaders'

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Be careful about posting libel about Alex Salmond, those rape charges were not proven.

So they believe he's not innocent, but they didn't have enough evidence to prove him guilty?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ah nivur tuched

*points at royal doulton ladies in the press room behind camera*

them weemin

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
(*is still lying*)

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/churnwell/status/1626134693530804224?s=46&t=SN6OeZuFE-fqxpq7s57deQ

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

He sleeps nude in an oxygen tent , which he believes gives him anti-Semite powers

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mugsbaloney posted:

I forget who shared the UFO thread with me but thanks!

I spent the last hour or so catching up and holy poo poo what the gently caress is going on? Meteorites! Doomsday planes! Helicopters falling out of the sky!

This is clearly a psyop by Sturgeon to distract us from her husband felching £500k.

It was me, and you're welcome/I apologise profusely

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Epic High Five posted:

tony blair, praise be upon him, in 97, was a straight up cultural movement. There are some parralels with the Hope and Change era if you ignore absolutely all of the specifics and also imagine Obama is a dead eyed serial killer who, even at the time, was "charismatic" only in the sense that he was doing an overly-literal read of the roman guide on how to talk to commoners, but otherwise there's the similar vibe of everyone going "oh thank gently caress someone who is saying perhaps things should improve somewhat". He also only won because a decent chunk of the population, the "tory swing", hosed off and stayed at home. He then caused the most spectacular collapse of vote turnout in british history that wasn't literally a coup by generally being tony blair. So he's the big saviour they are trying to make keef rip off and he got 13m, 10m, and 9m votes. Turnout went from high 70s to 50s.

Gordon Brown, 8m votes. Turnout recovers to 60s. Really not popular. CLEGG!

Ed Miliband. The anecdote about the press team screaming at Racism Stone is a lie - if anyone tells you it wasnt the press teams idea they're a liar and an idiot. Antisemtic sandwiches, dad a communist, no thank you, and gently caress off nick clegg. 9m given straight up HAHA GLOBALISTS CANT EAT BACON headlines, seems a nice lad himself.

Something that might have actually been a cultural movement happened but we forgot to win and everyone ran out of money shortly before covid. nearly 13m people turned up in 2017, best since blair 1, in a completely hostile public environment. So shocking that the tory peer who runs yougov and had spent a year calling corbyn a sad desperate loser told his staff that it'd be too embarassing to ever let them work anywhere again if they posted their (completely accurate) exit poll when it disagreed so strongly with everything else they'd published and also coincidentally while it had a chance to alter the outcome. Unfortunately the tories came out for it because he's a spy for like seven countries and absolutely a terrorist of some description and dated a black woman and called vienna poo poo. Could keef surprise everyone and pull out a shock big win with or without turnout in his favour solely at the whims of the press, who are usimg him as a reminder of exactly what leverage they have and how it works? no, he's poo poo

If you started the next GE tomorrow I don't see how youd have anything other than record low turnout, which does actually favour starmer, whose ceiling is definitely not above 10m votes for labour. I'd be shocked if it broke 8 in the face of an actual fascist military insurgency or something along those lines that actually got the labour base as frightened as the tories were for a few years there, because he's just irrelevant. He won't even let people project mindless nonsense onto him, he so desperately wants to be loved by the right wing scum press that people either dont know who he is or don't like him. Sunak just needs to give an impassioned speech about how he saw a trans migrant in a small boat and have boris give a thumbs up and he destroys him. There are several year old guardian articles pre-emptively blaming the left from one of the usual suspects, because we dont support him enough and clearly arent going to vote for him. And it's like, you've obviously had no contact with anyone left of thatcher since you cut off family members for singing white stripes antisemitically, you block comments on your mind-bending opinion pieces, it's not just us that can see he's a sad poo poo little alchy divorcee who looks as natural with "a pint" as gove does with water. It's going to be brutal unless Sunak (assuming it's him) personally offends the entire press team.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Google Jeb Bush posted:

our current general protocol is "if you want to register as [party] and run you can do that"

this does mean that literal actual Nazis get Republican noms in doomed seats, and Republicans in Democrats' clothing get Democrat noms in various places, but it also means the New York Democratic Party couldn't look at AOC challenging their golden boy and go "lol nope"

I believe extremely firmly this is a better model than *waves hand at Keir Starmer*

The problem with the US system is that you've created a system where everyone has to fundraise constantly for the primary/main election cycle and our system has significant issues, but ultimately I prefer a system where a party's success at getting into government is based partly on its ability to balance localism, talent, ideological unity and diversity, with one where 99% of the legislature is there because of their ability to routinely raise a hundred million dollars every couple of years from people who definitely don't want anything specific for their investment.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Check out the smug interns in this pic. I'm not sure they could look any more Tory

https://twitter.com/twocitiesnickie/status/1625885327305936896/

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

The Question IRL posted:

I saw they were saying that "social media speculation wasn't helping."
What is happening with the story? Are people investing in some QAnon style conspiracy theory, and the police are trying to stamp down on it.

Yeah, apparently it's gone full-bore "she's been kidnapped by 4-D lizard people and is being held underground" poo poo on the more barking end of social media, which is why the police were telling people to stop breaking into derelict houses last week; it was conspiracy theorists looking for secret tunnels....

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Barry Foster posted:

It was me, and you're welcome/I apologise profusely

It's ok, I am just weirding my friends and family out by telling them I love them, no harm done.

Love you too thread

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve finally caught covid. This is horrible. Why did no one tell me it’s bad? I really thought someone would have mentioned this. Glad I’ve got my four jabs. My mad friend who still firmly sits on the “there is/was no covid virus” is insisting on coming round to see me later and is getting increasingly tetchy that I keep declining.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Sanford posted:

I’ve finally caught covid. This is horrible. Why did no one tell me it’s bad? I really thought someone would have mentioned this. Glad I’ve got my four jabs. My mad friend who still firmly sits on the “there is/was no covid virus” is insisting on coming round to see me later and is getting increasingly tetchy that I keep declining.

I mean you could totally go and prove it does exist to him once and for all. Although your mate could be one of those very few people who seem to be immune. I had a friend who (not a covid denier) has been in extremely close proximity to people who have covid and coughing basically in his face well over five separate times and he's never got it once.

if it's any consolation the second time you get covid is usually fine :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Sanford posted:

Cough in his face repeatedly