Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Turns out the trick to trophying is 'open Vorinclex, draw him almost every game'.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/0c22cbf03d3c4f50a668c3b0375df6a2

Mostly at plat, too. Made some major misclicks/misplays int he losses, but I don't think I lost because of them, and I'm otherwise pleased with the gameplay, even if 'play Vorinclex' was the wincon at least 4 times, there was at least one game where ;play Vorinclex, but don't windmill slam him as soon as you have the opportunity even on turn 5' was still the right call and I'm pleased I thought it out well enough to see it.

28/25 on this set, first tiem I've been positive in a while and first time I've been that far positive at all!

Jazzed.

And two drafts in the bank now too.

And at least 3 possibly 4 matches (I might go back and check) where I had OP on 0 and 10 poison at the same time thanks to Vorinclex.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

MasterBuilder posted:

Changing your deck is the one way to never get paired against those decks again...but then you get paired against the next deck that hoses yours. You just have to accept that arena wants to keep you in diamond.

Hmm well, just for shits I tried a mono-black deck and for a couple games it continued to match me up to that Izzet crap so I clowned on them. Izzet Wizards run no counters so they get shredded against things like Elspeth's Nightmare. Wonder if I can keep it up, I'll try when the dailies refresh.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

A Moose posted:

I did a couple drafts that I thought went OK, but I'm sure I missed out on some pretty obvious stuff, so maybe someone could take a look and see what I could have done better? First one was r/w equipment, though I had almost 0 equipment synergy and went 5-3, which could have been better in silver

https://www.17lands.com/draft/707edecaee9346b19b1a3bfb9ccecf17

This one, i'm still playing, but currently 2-2 and I keep messing with the deck. I was r/g kind of oil synergy, but then I saw a P3P1 Vraska and thought maybe I could splash it? Or was it too greedy? The next few cards I took were pretty good black cards, but then I realized there was no way I'd have enough black to replace red. Also, I ended up with 3 Plague Nurses, and it seems weird that I'd be getting so many as such late picks. It's not that bad, is it?

https://www.17lands.com/draft/b923d4223ff845f3bd5ef70ce8f731bd

Draft 1: first up, you have 3 hoverwings, so almost 0 equipment synergy is a lie. Generally you made a few weird picks that did not really get punished (like wheeling a wings) but you still ended up with a pretty good pool. Don't know why you didn't play the 3rd wings though, that's an auto include. The injector is very bad, I might keep in the dancer just because the curve is very high but you did have the opportunity to get better cheap creatures in the draft. Specific picks:
P1p5: finisher is a great combo with the whip
P1p6: maybe you're not sure at this point if you want to be RB but the cards you have don't actually fit in the archetype (except volt charge), chorus is obviously the pick in hindsight but I think I would take it at the time as well
P2p3: fleshcutter is bad, rabble, disruption and charge are all better
P2p5: as mentioned, wings but you got lucky
P2p6: scamp is a decent 1 drop in this archetype
P3p1: slinger is maybe the 5th best card for your deck? Even if you just want a 2 drop, fist and mandible are better
P3p2: not played either in this archetype but I think lookout has to be better than zealot, plus you have lots of 4s
P3p3: reservoir does nothing for you, charge or scamp

Draft 2 was a lot more contested, the oil cards were not really there and you were pretty lost by halfway through pack 2. I think you undervalued rabble and troll a bit. Vraska is fine to splash but I think it was a mistake to take any more black cards before securing your fixing

App13
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve been playing for a week (loving it) and picked up the discounted draft token yesterday as drafting seems like a dope thing to get into.

Should I just send it and go blind into the first draft, or should I read up on any particular resources? I’ve done one sealed event (3 wins 3 losses) and the MWM event yesterday (3 wins 2 losses) and was a huge huge fan of them

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

If you have time to watch or read up it might help, at least knowing what the archetypes are for the set, what the key commons are, what's good and bad is helpful. If you can get to know it enough to know good cards by sight you'll spend a LOT less time reading cards and build a better deck as a result.

E: any advice here: https://www.17lands.com/deck/b0f74b79f62e40059df0ba2f3fa4e8f6?

It's not as good as the previous I don't think, but it's still got room for legs. I'm not sure about cutting all the big stompy topend but with how fast the format is it seems OK?

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 16, 2023

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Looking for help on cuts for this UG deck. Should I just cut all the 2 mana cantrips? I can't stop thinking how good the proliferate is with the 3 Atraxa's Skitterfang. Are 3 immobilizers too much? Predation steward doesn't do much but don't want to cut too many early creatures.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

thespaceinvader posted:

E: any advice here: https://www.17lands.com/deck/b0f74b79f62e40059df0ba2f3fa4e8f6?

It's not as good as the previous I don't think, but it's still got room for legs. I'm not sure about cutting all the big stompy topend but with how fast the format is it seems OK?

I think you could use another early creature or two. Nothing worse than having a couple fight spells and no targets. The mana rock seems not very useful in this deck as you don't need fixing or ramp? I like battlechair and incubation sac but maybe you're right that the deck doesn't need them? I'd go -skullbomb, -mana rock, -necrosquito +steward, +incubation sac, +battle chair. Maybe mantis for plague nurse too? It's a bit more midrangy as opposed to fast toxic, not sure if that works. I've not had much sucess with GB so far anyway so maybe don't listen to me!

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Fritzler posted:

Looking for help on cuts for this UG deck. Should I just cut all the 2 mana cantrips? I can't stop thinking how good the proliferate is with the 3 Atraxa's Skitterfang. Are 3 immobilizers too much? Predation steward doesn't do much but don't want to cut too many early creatures.

Cut the blue. Blue in a ONE limited is basically an automatic concession

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

App13 posted:

I’ve been playing for a week (loving it) and picked up the discounted draft token yesterday as drafting seems like a dope thing to get into.

Should I just send it and go blind into the first draft, or should I read up on any particular resources? I’ve done one sealed event (3 wins 3 losses) and the MWM event yesterday (3 wins 2 losses) and was a huge huge fan of them

If you're planning on drafting a lot, get some kind of tracker like 17lands or something. Then you can post your deck and draft here, and people can give helpful advice.

Also, get lots of 2-mana creatures, don't play blue cards.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Fritzler posted:

Blue is better than black at least.

I would cut the spellbomb, two Dose, and the tapland. Low curve, plenty of draw, Cultivator, 16 lands should be ok. Dose is worse than it looks, the white 3/4 that picks up creatures is everywhere. Don't like the tapland, you need to get to 3 and have draw already. Just give 3 power guys flying and hope it kills them?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Fritzler posted:

i'm guessing the win condition you want is playing your tainted observers and then proliferating constantly to 10 poison, but it's unlikely that your deck is going to last that long. anyone playing creatures on ramp is going to easily make it through your weak 1/2 cost creatures and rip you to pieces before you can get rolling. I would definitely cut the auguries for a start, and probably the skitterfangs as well (low stats for a 3 cost creature, and they provide nothing to a toxic win condition). If you have any ichor synthesizers or glistener seers, they're the kinds of creatures you should want in a deck like this, bulky enough to bring you to turns 4+ when you can activate your observers properly.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If this goes 1-3, so be it lol

I did go 1-3, 2 games of flooding out while the enemy built up over my defenses and i fell behind because i kept drawing lands. never saw my bombs again

At least this time I expected it but this continues to be a set from which i derive the most minimal of pleasures

14-21 (40.00%), i think the lowest my WR has ever gotten lol, time to notch one constructed win and a quest and go play something else

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

1x Augury, 1x Immobilizer, 1x Island, 1x Skitterfang.

although honestly I am not sure how this deck is supposed to win. 1x Prologue as your only poison enabler is gonna be hard and proliferate as an archetype is kinda nothing. Good luck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol, perhaps not the best decision to spend 12 rare wildcards on a deck that looked cool in a video and go 3-12 with it in testing

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Blue isn't great in draft but the one blue mana 0/3 with tap: remove an oil counter to scry 1 is a workhorse that's letting me get away with more than I should.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol, perhaps not the best decision to spend 12 rare wildcards on a deck that looked cool in a video and go 3-12 with it in testing

Never trust the YouTube decks even if they show a loss or two. Winning games gets better views.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What deck

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcZHUenHpI8

He went 4-1 in a Pioneer League with this. I tried adapting it for Explorer, knowing that there would be some powering down, but I didn't think it would be fatal to the deck concept lol. Cut it to BO1 because of my wildcards

Companion
1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths

Deck
1 Forest
1 Island
1 Swamp
2 Llanowar Wastes
3 Yavimaya Coast
4 Breeding Pool
3 Watery Grave
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Wispweaver Angel
4 Growth Spiral
4 Spark Double
2 Paradise Druid
4 Wolfwillow Haven
1 Polukranos, Unchained
3 Gyruda, Doom of Depths
1 Zagoth Triome
2 Doomskar Titan
1 Darkbore Pathway
1 Port of Karfell
1 Shipwreck Marsh
4 Mirrorhall Mimic
2 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Otawara, Soaring City
4 Undercover Operative
2 Llanowar Loamspeaker

Sideboard
1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths

I don't have access to Sylvan Caryatid so I did a split of 2 Llanowar Loamspeakers and 2 Paradise Druids for ramp creatures, knowing they were more vulnerable to disruption and Paradise Druid can't block. Doomskar Titan seemed like it had most of the functionality of Dragonlord Kolaghan, in terms of flipping that turn to crack in with the hasted board. I don't have Urborg so I subbed in a UB dual, but I also am rarely constrained on black mana anyway.

I do think I could notch up the win rate as I get better at mulligans. But I also seem to whiff a lot more when I start the combo, even more than the times Coval complains about whiffing in the video lol

Edit: lmao ran into a deck playing Elesh Norn, gently caress my life

I need more of this instead lol

Armored Scrapgorger might be the mana dork of choice here

Edit: actually... it seemed like such a small thing but Sylvan Caryatid being both hexproof and a good blocker does so much for this deck, to the point that it really is much worse without it. Loamspeaker and Scrapgorger get smoked by fatal push/strangle and Paradise Druid can't stop red or white aggro decks from chunking in on turns 2 and 3

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 17, 2023

jam643d
Dec 26, 2012
Like, I know I'm bad at Limited, but would someone be able to confirm that this sealed set I got for MWM was rough? I did eventually end up with 3 wins switching between a bunch of different decks but it wasn't a fun time in any of the wins. I did have some luck with WB but none of the games felt like I deserved to win.

https://www.17lands.com/user/deck/0eb532deab0149029254bfe43cdf0ea6/32809828/1676563323

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

jam643d posted:

Like, I know I'm bad at Limited, but would someone be able to confirm that this sealed set I got for MWM was rough? I did eventually end up with 3 wins switching between a bunch of different decks but it wasn't a fun time in any of the wins. I did have some luck with WB but none of the games felt like I deserved to win.

https://www.17lands.com/user/deck/0eb532deab0149029254bfe43cdf0ea6/32809828/1676563323

you have a phyrexian obliterator in your pile. play black/white instead of fixating on random garbage commons in your worst colors

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Is oil-gorger troll giving people value? That card looks like garbage to me.

jam643d
Dec 26, 2012

Venuz Patrol posted:

you have a phyrexian obliterator in your pile. play black/white instead of fixating on random garbage commons in your worst colors

Honestly, I did try, but I never did end up seeing it in any draws ever. Good to know I was at least on the right track when I was running the black in the deck.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

jam643d posted:

yeah that's a pretty bad pool. RG is the best deck here, I'd build it something like this https://sealeddeck.tech/u1B5HQ9fbh

Your WB pool is bad because it doesn't have enough Toxic to enable Corrupted and Phyrexian Obliterator is unplayable in Limited (and also constructed).

WB: https://sealeddeck.tech/UIke8NizWm probably would be okay on the play against greedy decks

wei fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Feb 17, 2023

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Green cards that have a fat butt, give you life, and draw a card are actually very good in limited formats. The card is definitely fine, just don't overload on top end because ONE is a fast format.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Good to know, 5 for a 3/4 just reads rough to me. I'll give it a shot if I go green though. Guessing that's a one/maybe two of in the deck if there's not much other high cost stuff.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

It doesn't really contribute to the GR or GW deck's game plan (despite having the words oil counter), so it's filler at best.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Oil Gorger troll struggles to compete with Furnace Strider in the 5 drop slot but is a serviceable replacement if you’re heavy oil

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
the card advantage is tempting but the 4/5 haste (and give your next creature haste) and the 5/5 menace reach are much better cards and you really dont want to play that many 5 drops. the life gain is fairly marginal since the only decks racing rg are trying to win with poison counters

wolfman101
Feb 8, 2004

PCXL Fanboy
Trad Sealed trip report: White Sun Twilight is nuts, Glissando is nuts. Put the two in the same deck: easy 4-1 trophy. Red Green was the hardest matchup.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have a crazy theory, but I'm not sure if I'm insane enough to try it.

I think burn decks might be back on the table in this meta.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 17, 2023

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Draft #8

https://www.17lands.com/draft/ae7b2406b3b2427dac61f954a36542d2

I unlocked my draft token from the pass today but I got all my daily wins from deck testing lol, so this is going in tomorrow.

1 1-drop but 10 2-drops so hopefully this is getting closer to playable lol.

Would Jor Kadeen and Bladehold incentivize playing more of the equipment? I could also tweak the number of helms vs splitters... bardiche seems too expensive?

Plated Onslaught seems like it could be good, especially with all the double strikers. I guess the tension is between creatures that could wear equipment well (like Flensing Raptor?) and having the critical mass of artifacts? I guess I could also cut out tricks for more creatures/artifacts...

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 17, 2023

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Bardiche has done some alright work for me, and putting it on a duelist would be nice. I always end up cutting onslaught because I'm afraid of it being dead with none or just a few creatures.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Panderfringe posted:

Cut the blue. Blue in a ONE limited is basically an automatic concession

Not true imo; W/U artifacts is very strong if you get multiple Eye of Malcator, Skullbombs and a Mandible Justicar or two. Just took one to a 5-3 finish

Tamiyo's Immobilizer also way overperforms and stacking multiples with some proliferate can lock down your opponent's biggest threats.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

ex post facho posted:

Not true imo; W/U artifacts is very strong if you get multiple Eye of Malcator, Skullbombs and a Mandible Justicar or two. Just took one to a 5-3 finish

Tamiyo's Immobilizer also way overperforms and stacking multiples with some proliferate can lock down your opponent's biggest threats.

Theres also a pretty good BU mill deck, if you can land a font or two and probably one or two of the drain on proliferate guys. Its strong but it needs its uncommons to work.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Unormal posted:

Theres also a pretty good BU mill deck, if you can land a font or two and probably one or two of the drain on proliferate guys. Its strong but it needs its uncommons to work.

This game plan only works against opponents who aren't attacking and I wouldn't want to rely on that. There's a reason font of progress is the worst uncommon on 17lands, it's just super slow and clunky. Even if you assume you manage to stabilise at turn 6 or so because you had lots of gitaxian raptors and removal + drew a font you now have to pump in quite a bit of mana to mill 4 or 5 a turn at best. Not saying it's impossible but there's probably better ways to win

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I just played a game on esper legends against a UW control deck. They eiganjo'ed an attacker while I was holding a Skrelv up, and because it's early and I'm not entirely awake, I paid 2 life to give the attacker hexproof from white without realizing that would do approximately gently caress all.

Then a couple turns later they tried to Wandering Emperor -2 a different attacker. This time Skrelv worked, haha.

One good misplay deserves another.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

5/3 with yesterday's. Still positive, still happy with that. But definitely keeping hands with no plays before turn 3 is a thing I need to do less. it's so squeaky mulling there though.

Also only found Shelly twice :(

Feels like Toxic is a lane I'm comfortable with though.

I say, opening my next one with Hexgold Slash into Volt Charge.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 17, 2023

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Emblem’d Koth into a Phyrexian Obliterator and then removed it with damage spells.

Had to sac 5 lands and go down to 1, but with Koth Emblem I would surely reload and stabilize right?

1 land in the next 8 draws lmao gg.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Is this a deck?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e3adc7fdca5d4d698f50e2e4106a493c

I definitely feel like the lane I was in was open pretty solidly (and the choice to take Slash over probably better green and black card pack 1 seems to have paid off well, my logic being 'take the only red card and red should stay open, where taking black or green and passing a bunch of other good cards in those colours makes it more likely I'll be competing for them') but my lane was blue/red so it's definitely iffy, and I have some alternative synergies I could potentially focus on more effectively?

I'm not sure about this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

thespaceinvader posted:

Is this a deck?

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e3adc7fdca5d4d698f50e2e4106a493c

I definitely feel like the lane I was in was open pretty solidly (and the choice to take Slash over probably better green and black card pack 1 seems to have paid off well, my logic being 'take the only red card and red should stay open, where taking black or green and passing a bunch of other good cards in those colours makes it more likely I'll be competing for them') but my lane was blue/red so it's definitely iffy, and I have some alternative synergies I could potentially focus on more effectively?

I'm not sure about this one.

I think you should play Immobilizer over Chimney Rabble as it'll do more to keep you in the game and triggers your chimeras and synthesizer. I'd find space for the Reservoir here; you can put oil on almost every permanent in your deck and free oil every turn will be big game if you get to the later part of the game, which the raptors are good at.