Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

The cave fish man mangled my dwarf so badly he's being buried one tooth at a time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Tuna-Fish posted:

Of course, in very few situations will you actually need *that much* magma.
Sounds like you haven't found a sufficiently big megaproject, OP.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
If a visitor change to a werebest in my tavern and yet continue to recite poetry, are there any reason not to discreetly surround him with 20 armed dwarves and chop him up once they are all in place?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

If he turns back before he's done, you can probably just let 'em go. If you want to kill him without traumatizing everyone in your tavern, pin some unsolved case on him and execute the werebeast-to-be in his chains or drop the cage down a magma chute. Of course, you can only do that if you have the justice system active.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Sometimes things just get so hot they won't stop burning. I had a few diamonds that burned forever, it was weird.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I think burning diamonds eventually deteriorate to nothing but it takes months or years

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
Takes about three seasons for them to be destroyed. Had that issue when one fell in lava.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I've had things burst into flames on a load. they were on fire before probably.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Burning gems is particularly obnoxious trying to get down through gem spires in the endgame, randomly blocking important spots either entirely or being a bad-thought generator for years.

You can deal with them by judiciously dumping/storing gems as you mine down, or doing little construction projects to dump water where it needs to go, but really gems just shouldn't smolder that long

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
So, turns out cutting large gems out of things is probably the way to go when making crafts. Dwarves will still claim them and take them for happy thoughts, but they cannot wear them and will store them in their rooms so you can forbid them and reclaim them for merchanting. My fortress with nothing but large gems and serrated disc crafting has thus avoided the pitfalls of 30 years of accumulated rings and bracelets and the poor sods trapped under them.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

How do I protect my surface from burning in the future in case another head explodes?

It burned down my water wheels and windmills and now my fortress doesn't have the mist machines or waterfall and is flooding a bit :smith:

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Throw up (non-wood) walls around important areas, or alternatively pave 2-3 tiles around

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Constructed wooden walls burn now?

I used to make walls out of ice blocks just for the effect

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Feb 16, 2023

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
I had a teal fiend kill a puppy and the puppy burned for months. Nothing else in the tile, just a perpetually burning dog in my tunnels.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Constructed wooden walls burn now?

I used to make walls out of ice blocks just for the effect

actually probably not, you're right, but I still always think to use non-wood for that purpose because of the ~immersion~

CuriousSymptoms
Jul 18, 2004

Those Goddamn Rainbows Are At It Again

I am going to make my first forays, as a fortress novice, into trying to get a waterfall to spray mist into my tavern; how long will it be in game seconds before I flood the entire fort

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Pickled Tink posted:

So, turns out cutting large gems out of things is probably the way to go when making crafts. Dwarves will still claim them and take them for happy thoughts, but they cannot wear them and will store them in their rooms so you can forbid them and reclaim them for merchanting. My fortress with nothing but large gems and serrated disc crafting has thus avoided the pitfalls of 30 years of accumulated rings and bracelets and the poor sods trapped under them.

This is good info. My fort is going on 30 years now and a bunch of my dwarves can barely move under the pile of crap they’re wearing and carrying around.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

CuriousSymptoms posted:

I am going to make my first forays, as a fortress novice, into trying to get a waterfall to spray mist into my tavern; how long will it be in game seconds before I flood the entire fort
“I see wet people”

It was flooded the whole time

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Flavahbeast posted:

You can eventually turn monster slayers into regular citizens by going Labor -> Locations on their unit sheet and clicking the red X next to Monster Slayer. They'll no longer perform their monster slayer duties, but they'll no longer be prevented from petitioning citizenship, so after a while they'll just ask to become a full member of your fort. You can also use the Labor->Work Details tab on their sheet to assign non-citizen residents labors even though they don't show up on the main labor screen. Is this functionality intended, iunno

huh, this gives me a reason to go back to the game. most of the monster slayers in my old fort spent all their time hanging out in guildhalls and grinding skills they couldn't use up to legendary

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

After 300hrs in the Steam version I've only heard them sing the little drink & industry song one time and it was just by chance while I was watching a tavern or something. I've made all the instruments in my current world gen and I keep all my taverns/religious halls stocked up on them. Is it just random or is there a trick to it? I see them dancing and singing and stuff regularly. I guess it doesn't matter I'm just wondering.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

mst4k posted:

After 300hrs in the Steam version I've only heard them sing the little drink & industry song one time and it was just by chance while I was watching a tavern or something. I've made all the instruments in my current world gen and I keep all my taverns/religious halls stocked up on them. Is it just random or is there a trick to it? I see them dancing and singing and stuff regularly. I guess it doesn't matter I'm just wondering.
Having the cursor/screen over the tavern when a party is held is the trigger for hearing Drink & Industry - it shouldn't be that in-frequent.

If your dorfs are too busy with completing jobs, which'll eventually lead to a tantrum spiral because of mood, it may be they're not holding parties - if so, you should probably take some weeks each year where you stop all their jobs and chores, and let them do what they want.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Has Dwarf Therapist updated for the latest version?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
To own things do dwarfs have to have a bedroom and cabinet or chest? Or can they just own things now matter what? Was thinking of following that one bit of advice and saturating my fortress with gems to alleviate some sadness

Also if multiple people are living in one bedroom do they need multiple beds? I didnt account for that

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Spouses share bedrooms and offices iirc, beds included

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Can't seem to get any of my militia to use or even pick up an artifact wavy singing metal spear I found in one of the big obsidian towers. I've tried multiple dwarves including a fresh recruit so it's not that they're all attached to their current weapons. I've tried setting their uniform to use "singing metal spears" "wavy spears" and "wavy singing metal spears". I tried assigning it as a captain's badge item. The dwarves will pick it up to stash it or put it on display so it's not that they can't touch it for some reason.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

To own things do dwarfs have to have a bedroom and cabinet or chest? Or can they just own things now matter what?

In my experience still hoard bunches of useless crap even if they don’t have any storage units, they’ll just leave it all over the floor instead of putting it away.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Fun Shoe

resistentialism posted:

Can't seem to get any of my militia to use or even pick up an artifact wavy singing metal spear I found in one of the big obsidian towers. I've tried multiple dwarves including a fresh recruit so it's not that they're all attached to their current weapons. I've tried setting their uniform to use "singing metal spears" "wavy spears" and "wavy singing metal spears". I tried assigning it as a captain's badge item. The dwarves will pick it up to stash it or put it on display so it's not that they can't touch it for some reason.
You can select the item specifically on the weapon list from the assign uniform screen.

Also, I found one of my dwarves carrying around ten large gems in his left hand. Son of a bitch. I guess that means I am back to making jugs for metal stuff.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Guy's just taken up juggling, why you gotta judge his hobbies :colbert:

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Anyone ever had an issue where your entire military has shields equipped but they just don’t use them? They are all legendary dudes (no crazy weapons) and dodge everything anyways but use the shields guys cmon, I let you guys name them crazy poo poo and everything!

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.

mst4k posted:

Anyone ever had an issue where your entire military has shields equipped but they just don’t use them? They are all legendary dudes (no crazy weapons) and dodge everything anyways but use the shields guys cmon, I let you guys name them crazy poo poo and everything!

Your military adheres to the souls-borne doctrine of combat I see.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Having the cursor/screen over the tavern when a party is held is the trigger for hearing Drink & Industry - it shouldn't be that in-frequent.

If your dorfs are too busy with completing jobs, which'll eventually lead to a tantrum spiral because of mood want.

I think this may be the case. My dwarves are super loving happy (mist) but never have time off really. I’ll give it a go … I have 4 taverns now!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

mst4k posted:

Have you checked their inventories? I noticed that sometimes when a shield gets named, the sprite bugs out and doesn't display properly, so it looks like they don't have their shields equipped.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Appoda posted:

Have you checked their inventories? I noticed that sometimes when a shield gets named, the sprite bugs out and doesn't display properly, so it looks like they don't have their shields equipped.

Yeah their inventory has the shields (all named) but in my most recent siege that brought legendary bowman my military didn’t block a single shot and just dodged them all. The siege was ALL bowman/crossbow dudes no melee so maybe they are working they just prefer to dodge.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I think creatures in a fight will prefer dodging over blocking, and block when they can't dodge. I have no evidence for this tho, just seems like the general trend in combat logs are dodge -> block/parry -> deflect or absorb with armor -> take a damage-dealing hit.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

:ohdear:

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Hey check out these rat pants, "Venomcults"

moller fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Feb 18, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

moller posted:

Hey check out these rat pants

Those are pretty great pants

Fish Appreciator
Nov 25, 2021
Dwarven Tripp pants.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've done it before but making a multi-story central stair waterfall mist generator work still generates such a huge feeling of accomplishment. Look! I did a thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I almost had some Fun this morning when a forgotten beast with fire spawned. I watched it for a few seconds and realized that it was just sitting in an ever expanding pool of blood. Checked the combat logs and I guess it was fighting like 25 ratmen I couldn't see. Handy!