Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Diabetic posted:

I'm a big food guy (Being diabetic makes you both love and hate food a lot) and I love stuff that is food referenced in different movies/shows. Is there some amazing food at WDW any of the resorts that has a movie connection? I heard about the "Grey Stuff" at the Beauty and the Beast restaurant but I had heard it's not that great. Post your favorite dishes and their connections!

Please.

The Grey Stuff is a panna cotta. It's not bad but not worth seeking out or anything.

Plus you'd have to reserve the fixed price $70 restaurant to get it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Diabetic posted:

I imagine though most of them being cloned soldiers eating some type of synthetic gruel this would be like meeting Jesus in taste for them.
I guess? They have other options though.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Sweet. The wife and I got our passholder previews for Tron.

I'm a little concerned since there aren't any park reservations for MK that day, but the Tron email with the link explicitly says we don't need an additional park reservation that day, soooo-

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah you just show that instead of scanning in like normal. We’re doing the cast one Sunday, very excited.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nanigans posted:

Sweet. The wife and I got our passholder previews for Tron.

I'm a little concerned since there aren't any park reservations for MK that day, but the Tron email with the link explicitly says we don't need an additional park reservation that day, soooo-

You 100% don't need a reservation, it comes with the booking. That's why you have to follow your blockout calendar for your pass type. It's a totally normal reservation too, so you can go to the park for opening on it if you want and hop after 2 regardless of your Tron time.

It's believed Disney reduces the number of available passes in the AP pool for the preview days so that they can keep their numbers where they want them.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I'm super bummed because I'm going with some friends in March and we thought we might get a DVC preview, but that's running for just three days that don't overlap with us. So our trip will fall after all the previews but before the actual opening. I'm not seething with envy, please don't put in the newspaper that I'm seething with envy.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Aphrodite posted:

The Grey Stuff is a panna cotta. It's not bad but not worth seeking out or anything.

Plus you'd have to reserve the fixed price $70 restaurant to get it anyway.

Did they change it? Last time I had it it was mousse. I’ve only ever eaten breakfast and lunch there so maybe it’s different at dinner.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Braksgirl posted:

Did they change it? Last time I had it it was mousse. I’ve only ever eaten breakfast and lunch there so maybe it’s different at dinner.

Oh yeah oops, I forgot the word mousse there.

It's a cookies and cream (Specifically Oreos, supposedly) panna cotta whipped into a mousse.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Diabetic posted:

I'm a big food guy (Being diabetic makes you both love and hate food a lot) and I love stuff that is food referenced in different movies/shows. Is there some amazing food at WDW any of the resorts that has a movie connection? I heard about the "Grey Stuff" at the Beauty and the Beast restaurant but I had heard it's not that great. Post your favorite dishes and their connections!

We had both milks the first time we went to Galaxy's Edge and thought neither were good, exactly, but also you get to drink it while scowling so it really feels like you're immersed in the universe.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 16, 2023

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I like the green one way more than blue, but they're both pretty good. They're rice milk based fruity flavored drinks. Just know that ahead of time, otherwise the consistency might throw you off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I had the one with the chili in it and it was undrinkable.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I had the green and it was just ok. I wanted to really like it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like both of them well enough, but they're not really worth the premium. Not having the little milk jugs on sale anymore makes them even less interesting to get too.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The blue version in Oga's is slightly different and a little better imo

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had them put rum in my blue milk. It was fine. But it looked like jizz

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

CelticPredator posted:

I had them put rum in my blue milk. It was fine. But it looked like jizz

Well, it IS canon in Galaxy's Edge, to be fair.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

To (not) answer the original question though, outside of the Grey Stuff and the milks I can't think of any other in universe re-creation food at Disney.

You have Butterbeer over at Universal, and the Simpsons food court has a bunch of them. That place is hell on earth though, I'd never go in there again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Aphrodite posted:

To (not) answer the original question though, outside of the Grey Stuff and the milks I can't think of any other in universe re-creation food at Disney.

You have Butterbeer over at Universal, and the Simpsons food court has a bunch of them. That place is hell on earth though, I'd never go in there again.

I was really surprised they didn't build or convert a place at the Epcot France pavilion into a Gusteau's. On the other hand it's nice they did show SOME restraint and not do IP everything.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Aphrodite posted:

The Simpsons food court is shittily laid out, but the crappy burgers are the best crappy burgers in Universal. They're not good, but at least they're acceptable.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
They aren’t selling the milk jugs anymore? Oh man, I’m glad I got one when it was still around - I rarely buy souvenirs but I love that one.

Blue milk is the only way.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Arquinsiel posted:

The Simpsons food court is shittily laid out, but the crappy burgers are the best crappy burgers in Universal. They're not good, but at least they're acceptable.

I agree with this, but I still need to eat at the Captain America diner just to say I did.

My family stayed at universal for a 5 day vacation w couple years ago and we ate either delivery or at the park and I remember almost crying because we ate vegetables for like the first time in day 4 at the 3 Broomsticks, it wasn't good but you'd think it was the second coming to eat just something with greens in it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Restaurant and food quality is one area where Universal is desperately behind Disney in offerings and quality. Beyond that, the quick service locations are typically slow and frustrating.

Mythos is good but like, they banked on that “best theme park restaurant” award from the early 00’s for so long that it’s regarded as better than it actually is.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
When I went to Universal for four days in 20...13 I wanna say? They had an unlimited meal deal for a relatively reasonable price. We abused it to get so much terrible crappy quick service food for our entire family that I tend to believe we were the reason they got rid of it.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

After starting to plan our first Disney trip about a year ago, we have our restaurant bookings open in a couple weeks. We have two little kids so we’re not going to do much sit-down dining, but it’s exciting that the trip is getting closer!

Quick question about Ohana character breakfast- is it just Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Minnie? My kids are more into the Mickey Mouse & friends characters than Lilo and Stitch, so even though Ohana would be more convenient, we might go with the AK character breakfast.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

BadSamaritan posted:

My kids are more into the Mickey Mouse & friends characters than Lilo and Stitch,

Get better kids

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Diabetic posted:

I agree with this, but I still need to eat at the Captain America diner just to say I did.

My family stayed at universal for a 5 day vacation w couple years ago and we ate either delivery or at the park and I remember almost crying because we ate vegetables for like the first time in day 4 at the 3 Broomsticks, it wasn't good but you'd think it was the second coming to eat just something with greens in it.
You should visit Dublin so. You can enjoy eating in one not owned by Disney which put the entire MCU into legal jeopardy.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Aphrodite posted:

Ordering Duff at Moe's is a fun experience. And the beer is actually good!

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
The new terminal at MCO weirds me out. And I was at the last gate…. So much walking

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I totally missed the existence of Terminal C. I guess I'll get to see it next time I fly from Dublin, which will be cool.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Restaurant and food quality is one area where Universal is desperately behind Disney in offerings and quality. Beyond that, the quick service locations are typically slow and frustrating.

Mythos is good but like, they banked on that “best theme park restaurant” award from the early 00’s for so long that it’s regarded as better than it actually is.

The HHN food is so much better than the regular year-round stuff.

It's still garbage, but it's different fun garbage.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

DC Murderverse posted:

Get better kids

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."

BadSamaritan posted:

After starting to plan our first Disney trip about a year ago, we have our restaurant bookings open in a couple weeks. We have two little kids so we’re not going to do much sit-down dining, but it’s exciting that the trip is getting closer!

Quick question about Ohana character breakfast- is it just Lilo, Stitch, Mickey, and Minnie? My kids are more into the Mickey Mouse & friends characters than Lilo and Stitch, so even though Ohana would be more convenient, we might go with the AK character breakfast.

You are correct on characters for Ohana breakfast.

And me personally, I’d rather do Tusker as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Another vote for Tusker over O’hana for breakfast.

O’hana is cool, especially if you love Stitch or you want to stay on the monorail loop

Tusker is the only character dining we still pay for these days. The fab 5 in their safari outfits is fun as well.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Good fast breakfast at Epcot?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Always the French bakery.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

skipdogg posted:

Another vote for Tusker over O’hana for breakfast.

O’hana is cool, especially if you love Stitch or you want to stay on the monorail loop

Tusker is the only character dining we still pay for these days. The fab 5 in their safari outfits is fun as well.

Tusker and Artist Point are the two character dinings I legitimately think the food is worth it.

Book a 10:25 or so Tusker reservation and you’ll get breakfast and lunch foods at the breakfast price, at least pre-covid.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Tried to ride Tron today with my friend's CM preview. Got all the way to just before the launch and... we broke down and I had to be evac'ed. We waited for almost two hours and gave up. It didn't return to operation for five more hours. Oh well. The exterior of the ride is really cool, especially at night. I appreciated that the queue setup was very basic with no long pre-show setup or anything like that. They handled this breakdown very poorly, I suspect because it was a CM invite so they didn't feel obligated to do anything for them.

Anti-Bunny
Mar 14, 2007
word

Doronin posted:

Actually, wtf ever happened to Be Our Guest? It's a little more than a decade old now, but I remember when it first opened it was really drat good. Reservations were insanely hard to come by early on, but we ran into a small miracle on my wife's birthday in 2013 and ate there. It was exceptionally good. The next time we went, which was 2015 I think, it was terrible. We got in one more time in 2022 (almost a year ago to the day today), and it was even worse.
My partner and I when it was new and thought it was.. fine. Went a month ago with larger family and yeah, it's absolutely terrible. Just a terrible value, especially if you're going for young kids when compared to someplace like Tusker House.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

couldcareless posted:

The blue version in Oga's is slightly different and a little better imo

And it comes with a cookie! (or it used to, I haven't been to Ogas in a while)

The stuff in the park is a slush, where the Oga's version is actually like a milk beverage, consistancy wise and I think the flavors jam better with it than the slush, although the slush is good too (and better with rum)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Nanigans posted:

Always the French bakery.

Can't stress this enough.

Also, bring back Garden Grill breakfast you loving cowards.