Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

that mig monument in the background is boss

Yeah, MiG-17 from the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

lol

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also lol going to war with a country that makes your nuclear missiles.

Maybe that would give some perspective on how loving stupid this whole thing is.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Lmao if they heard the Ukrainians extolling the virtues of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salo_(food) and thought they were talking about the Italian fascist puppet microstate

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's like you're playing Victoria 3 and decide to leave a customs union, then suddenly watch your economy crater because all of your input goods are gone and there's no market for your outputs.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm genuinely curious what they think the domestic reaction would be to the economic shock of trade with China being suspended, in a neoliberal state that promises less than nothing to the citizenry for their privations and sacrifices.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

Also lol going to war with a country that makes your nuclear missiles.

Maybe that would give some perspective on how loving stupid this whole thing is.

it's called haggling

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Any hardships incurred from a trade war with China will be blamed on the chinese.

And the Jews.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Endman posted:

It's almost as if this war is a direct result of stoking far-right nationalism in Western Ukraine to the point where they began outright attacking the majority Russian-speaking parts of the country, pushing them straight into the arms of Moscow.

that was the plan all along

the US discovered long ago that the most radical people(usually as of the far right persuasions like the Mujahideen or anti-commy death squads in Latin America) are generally the most effective fighters because they're exactly that, radical. So naturally, stoking far right nationalism and Nazism in Ukraine was the way to go. What we've done in Ukraine is classic American foreign policy.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BadOptics posted:

between 15, 17, and 19, aesthetics on the 17 are just right.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Honest Thief posted:

look we didnt even had access to fertilizers up until the 50s, please be nice to us

Is there any meaningful anti-NATO sentiment in Portugal? I know they have a left government right now, and they had an actual Marxist revolution in the 70s unlike spain, but also much more of an Atlanticist history

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.ft.com/content/32d00213-e954-45b3-8cd6-71c0b814aa6b

quote:

In a further indication of international differences on Ukraine, Emmanuel Macron, president of France, acknowledged the west had failed to win backing from countries ranging from Africa to Latin America and Asia.

“I am struck by how we have lost the trust of the global south,” Macron said to an audience made up of top officials from both developed and developing countries. He argued that the world’s response to the war showed the need to rebalance the global order and make it more inclusive.

Macron called Russia’s invasion of Ukraine a “neocolonialist and imperialist” attack that “broke all taboos” and called on leaders of the global south to join the west in condemning the war.

While western countries have rallied to help Ukraine, many Asian, Latin American and African countries have been at best lukewarm in their support for Kyiv in what they see as a European war that is far from their daily concerns. The French president insisted that was not the case.

They ain't wrong Monsieur le President.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I dunno some of these bakhmut trenches are looking kind of shallow

https://twitter.com/CaliJournalism/status/1626658523118723072

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mlmp08 posted:

with posting like this you might grab that up for grabs mod star

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

mlmp08 posted:

non-controversial and objectively correct :hai:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Gresh posted:

that was the plan all along

the US discovered long ago that the most radical people(usually as of the far right persuasions like the Mujahideen or anti-commy death squads in Latin America) are generally the most effective fighters because they're exactly that, radical. So naturally, stoking far right nationalism and Nazism in Ukraine was the way to go. What we've done in Ukraine is classic American foreign policy.

They said as much when reflecting on Georgia or the Ukrainian military in Crimea being content to turn over the keys instead of fighting a doomed battle.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

It doesn't really seem like those guys need god, they are having a blast.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

That's a pretty shallow trench, without revetment too.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Рыбарь posted:

🐱 It's just amazing: the head of Bellingcat organization, which is undesirable in Russia, Hristo Groziev complains about the London police, which forbade him and his family to attend the BAFTA award ceremony.

The irony is that this award nominated a film about Alexei Navalny, in the creation of which the odious journalist was directly involved. But the British law enforcement authorities called Grozev's appearance at the event a "threat to public safety."

What happened is not a coincidence: even for his handlers, old Christo became too toxic.

▪️ In Bellingcat Grozev initially did dirty work - from black market data trade to terrorist defense in court (https://t.me/rybar/22671). He could not boast of professional abilities, being remembered for his inability to handle facts (https://t.me/rybar/22594) and working off "orders" for the Bulgarian arms mafia (https://t.me/rybar/21535).

▪️ Back in 2021 an unfit journalist was appointed the head of Bellingcat, having sent Eliott Higgins to honorary retirement. Since then the structure made a qualitative leap downwards: the most vivid example is the extremely incompetent investigation (https://t.me/rybar/40608) about the Main Computer Center of the Russian Armed Forces.

▪️ As a result, the "investigative group" previously replicated by the Western media has finally turned into a "dumping ground" for British intelligence MI6, whose only task is to process the necessary narratives.

Under these conditions, Grozev's value to the client was reduced to almost nothing. He became not only useless, but also frankly inconvenient because of his reputation as a performer of dirty orders, connections with criminal circles and his own sloppy forecasts (https://t.me/pezdicide/1026).

And now the once self-appointed "Sherlock Holmes of the XXI century" is not even allowed at the film academy ceremonies, and he himself cannot return home to Vienna and has to hide (https://t.me/pezdicide/2759) in the United States.

Now the only question is when Hristo Grozev will be finally consigned to oblivion.
#Bellingcat
@rybar

*Support us: 5536 9141 9147 4885
*** Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version) ***
(from t.me/rybar/43706, via tgsa)

posting grudge between rybar and bellingcat is funny ngl

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Real hurthling! posted:

I’m just talking airplanes, not trying for aatrek’s star

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

Is there any meaningful anti-NATO sentiment in Portugal? I know they have a left government right now, and they had an actual Marxist revolution in the 70s unlike spain, but also much more of an Atlanticist history

The communist party is opposed to otan but Ukraine made it everyone circle their wagons and tons of people already had a bad opinion on Russians even before this
Also the current gov isn't left wing but regular socdem progressive gov

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I'm sure it's really hard to dig trenches in frozen ground, which I assume generally benefits the attacker up until he has to dig new trenches on ground taken.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
you're only there for four hours, how deep do they need to be?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

mlmp08 posted:

It also has a much nicer NATO reporting alias than the 15

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lol

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

88 seems like itd be the right number for you

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

One of Hersh’s claims I’ve found suspect was when he argued that Hillary Clinton is a hawk due to Jewish money and influential Jews.

I think Clinton would be a hawk anyway. Hersh argues that Jews and their money turned her into a hawk. Hersh argues that there is no other explanation for Clinton being a hawk, because she’s too smart to be such a hawk without Jewish moneyed influences.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mlmp08 posted:

No, I think Hersh oversimplifies and sees connections where he wants to and sources poorly. I don’t think Hersh is antisemitic. He’s Jewish himself. I think he misunderstood Clinton and assumes without evidence that she favored a hard line with Iran due to, in Hersh’s words, “Jewish money.” I think he’s wrong, and Clinton would still be anti-Iran absent any influence from any pro-Israel lobby and absent her being elected in New York, specifically.

He said (emphasis added):

https://www.democracynow.org/2007/10/2/seymour_hersh_white_house_intensifying_plans

I can think of a lot of reasons, from Clinton’s pretty hawkish background and history, why she would be anti-Iran even without being of a senator from New York.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Endman posted:

lol

BadOptics posted:

front end could be a mig17, but that back end sets off my mig15-dar :gay:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'm sure it's really hard to dig trenches in frozen ground, which I assume generally benefits the attacker up until he has to dig new trenches on ground taken.

You can light a fire over the ground but nowadays there's all sorts of engineering equipment. Ukraine's engineering arm is not something that comes up often, so I don't know if they had the option to have it dug by machine.

Otherwise, breaking up frozen ground is extremely difficult with ordinary entrenching tools, and even with pickaxes and engineer shovels available it might take a man more than three hours to excavate a cubic metre. However, if digging is not urgent and is carried out in a well camouflaged location well away from the enemy, fires can be lit to thaw frozen ground first. Where possible, field works are dug in accordance with the usual regulations, but they can also be constructed on the surface from snow and ice, provided that the thickness was varied to suit the material. Loose snow isn't effective at stopping small-arms fire and splinters, so has to be formed into banks at least 3m thick. Well packed snow can be reduced to 2m thickness, and ice 1.5m. Timber or frozen earth are slightly more resilient, but still need to be over 90cm thick. All surface works require camouflage, usually in the form of heaped snow front and rear.

It's all about managing the man hours, really.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Real hurthling! posted:

nah i dont think the second m stands for minor

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

you should apply, id vote for you as mod. this is completely serious and not a joke

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

trust, leverage, c'est la meme chose

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Frosted Flake posted:

That's a pretty shallow trench, without revetment too.

Maybe we should be sending them our ww1 surplus. Just uh, maybe not the shovels.

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

one time i freed some dumbass's corrola from the snowbank on which he high centered himself with a few swift blows from my east german entrenchment tool. he was so shocked by my skills that he didnt even think to thank me, but that's okay. i was doing it for me

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Lostconfused posted:

i'm glad they're having a good time :stare:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

you should apply, id vote for you as mod. this is completely serious and not a joke

Beyond the obvious reasons why that would be a terrible idea and not happen, I cannot imagine how many obnoxious loving PMs people send, mad about sixers and counting probes in one forum vs another. It must be the most annoying unpaid job out there.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
surely make you lose your mind
(life in the ukraine) yeah
(life in the ukraine) everything, all the time
(life in the ukraine) a-ha

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Endman posted:

The 15 is named after the musical instrument but yes, It's an unfortunate name and the 17 beats it in that regard as well.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

speng31b posted:

it may sound cordial, but this is an ancient c-spam curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Delta-Wye posted:

lol

front end could be a mig17, but that back end sets off my mig15-dar :gay:

Nah, the longer fuselage is definitely a -17. The -15's exhaust is shorter and the wings have the distinctive -17 shape.

the front is the part that they basically are the same.