Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pathbuilder can export the stuff you can do, I think as statblock but I'll go poke and report back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, the Statblock option looks like this

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Harold Fjord posted:

Pathbuilder can export the stuff you can do, I think as statblock but I'll go poke and report back

Yeah I saw the stat block export but that wasn't really what I was looking for either. Like I don't think it matters much for online play because you can link to things and use like the foundry vtt sheet but for paper play these sheets are kinda low info compared to what we used in 5e.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I think any PF2 sheet that prints out spells like that would be overwhelmed by any middle level. A 9th-level 5e wizard might have 13 spells prepped, while a 9th-level PF2 wizard could have 19, if they don't have a spellcasting multiclass. If they do, I think that goes up to 23 (not counting cantrips).

I think the peak is at 20th level with 38 from main class, 14 from archetype, and maybe 10 from another archetype.

And that's putting aside any different actions they know, which Pathbuilder does print.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Cyouni posted:

I think any PF2 sheet that prints out spells like that would be overwhelmed by any middle level. A 9th-level 5e wizard might have 13 spells prepped, while a 9th-level PF2 wizard could have 19, if they don't have a spellcasting multiclass. If they do, I think that goes up to 23 (not counting cantrips).

I think the peak is at 20th level with 38 from main class, 14 from archetype, and maybe 10 from another archetype.

And that's putting aside any different actions they know, which Pathbuilder does print.

Shrug you should have seen what our printed 4e character sheets looked like haha. I can see what your saying but I still don't think it would be insane to have 40 spells on a sheet. The MPMB sheets (for 5e) print the known spells on small rows with descriptions and for example druids have more then 40 spells on one page from just their cantrips/1st level/2nd level spells. Its fine if the answer is no one has made a sheet like this but yeah thats kinda of a bummer.

Vire fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 16, 2023

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lamuella posted:

Skellingtons shooting people with their ribs is absolutely fantastic.

It really is. How could you not make a ranged build? You'd be a fool to go melee . . .

Well-Armed

Skeleton
Your detachable limbs offer flexibility. You Interact to remove your arm and wield it in the other one, increasing your reach by 5 feet for any one-handed weapon held in that arm. If your next action is a Strike with that weapon, creatures that were outside your reach that you can now hit are flat-footed against your first attack. You don't have a free hand while holding the arm. You can Interact to reattach the arm while holding it.
BotD

:skeltal:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Juggling my arm

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

"You don't have a free hand while holding the arm"

I mean...

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

sugar free jazz posted:

Slimes can be tripped, skeletons can bleed. as long as they’re not expressly immune it happens. If you can’t think of a way for a skeleton to bleed then you’re playing the game wrong.

They clearly do not:

PF2E Rules posted:

Bleed Damage
Another special type of physical damage is bleed damage. This is persistent damage that represents loss of blood. As such, it has no effect on nonliving creatures or living creatures that don't need blood to live.

They don't need the immunity listed because it's already a part of the damage type.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

They clearly do not:

They don't need the immunity listed because it's already a part of the damage type.

PCs get different benefits than NPCs. The stat blocks spell out what they do and do not get in terms of bonuses and penalties of the ancestry. Everyone has seen the bleed rule and it doesn’t change that PCs and NPCs are treated differently purely for balance reasons by design.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

If it bleeds we can kill it.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Are there spell cards? Like can I buy a deck of cards for my players so that they can hold their prepared spells in their hands?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I also own a cricut and glossy card stock.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boba Pearl posted:

Are there spell cards? Like can I buy a deck of cards for my players so that they can hold their prepared spells in their hands?

yep! https://paizo.com/store/pathfinder/accessories/cards pretty expensive though

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Boba Pearl posted:

I also own a cricut and glossy card stock.

https://pf2easy.com/sheets/

This is where to go if you feel like DIY’ing; you can even make cards for things like basic and trained skill actions there.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

sugar free jazz posted:

PCs get different benefits than NPCs. The stat blocks spell out what they do and do not get in terms of bonuses and penalties of the ancestry. Everyone has seen the bleed rule and it doesn’t change that PCs and NPCs are treated differently purely for balance reasons by design.

I admit I'm new to Pathfinder, and maybe there's some sidebar I missed somewhere, but I don't understand the relevance here. The rule for bleeding itself says it does not affect non-living creatures. Undead PCs, despite being PCs, are non-living creatures.

Even with the altered benefits, nothing in there says they are treated as living; quite the opposite!

Book of the Dead posted:

UNDEAD ORIGINS
You can't become undead withough dying first [...].

I mean I guess this is why games need a GM, but it seems pretty straightforward to me. It obviously isn't, as this thread and hundreds more on both the Paizo forums and Reddit (and in the Pathfinder Discord!) can attest to.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I admit I'm new to Pathfinder, and maybe there's some sidebar I missed somewhere, but I don't understand the relevance here. The rule for bleeding itself says it does not affect non-living creatures. Undead PCs, despite being PCs, are non-living creatures.

Even with the altered benefits, nothing in there says they are treated as living; quite the opposite!

I mean I guess this is why games need a GM, but it seems pretty straightforward to me. It obviously isn't, as this thread and hundreds more on both the Paizo forums and Reddit (and in the Pathfinder Discord!) can attest to.

well if you don't want to apply strict death rules "After you die, you can’t act or regain actions or be affected by spells that target creatures (unless they specifically target dead creatures), and for all other purposes you are an object. When you die, you are reduced to 0 Hit Points if you had a different amount, and you can’t be brought above 0 Hit Points as long as you remain dead. Some magic can bring creatures back to life, such as the resurrect ritual or the raise dead spell." you should probably be considered some form of alive

Serf
May 5, 2011

The basic undead benefits listed in the Book of the Dead detail what undead PCs get, which are not the same as what NPCs get. This can be changed if you like (which I do)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I appreciate that the core rules include this important sentence:

quote:

Sometimes a rule could be interpreted multiple ways. If one version is too good to be true, it probably is. If a rule seems to have wording with problematic repercussions or doesn’t work as intended, work with your group to find a good solution, rather than just playing with the rule as printed.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Chevy Slyme posted:

I appreciate that the core rules include this important sentence:

Yes, and this is probably the most important rule in any game.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
What is the opinion of allowing a first level Gnome Ranger to use their Ancestry Feat to get Animal Companion (Ranger) rather than a Familiar (Animal Accomplice)?

I feel it's a bit too powerful because they used their Class Feat for Crossbow Ace. Although they took a Heavy Crossbow so Reload 2 + choose to command the animal or shoot is gonna suck. I don't know. What do you guys think?

(I'm asking because a player did not understand the difference between a Familiar and an Animal Companion, which is honestly totally understandable).

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A human could do it with natural ambition, so I don't think it would be too too strong.

I'm not sure all the precise cross ancestry balance differences, but its not unheard of

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Maybe suggest they use a heavy repeating crossbow instead. They have proficiency and it only costs one action between shots instead of two.

Heavy crossbows aren't really meant to be used as a primary weapon. They are going to have a really bad time.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Maybe suggest they use a heavy repeating crossbow instead. They have proficiency and it only costs one action between shots instead of two.

Heavy crossbows aren't really meant to be used as a primary weapon. They are going to have a really bad time.

A heavy repeating crossbow is actually a downgrade from a regular crossbow with crossbow ace, just because you need to use the 5 bolt magazine. Crossbow ace makes a regular crossbow into a 1d10+2 weapon or a repeating crossbow into a 1d10+2 weapon.
Turning a heavy crossbow into a 1d12+2 weapon in return for reload 2 is not even like a little worth it.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

M. Night Skymall posted:

A heavy repeating crossbow is actually a downgrade from a regular crossbow with crossbow ace, just because you need to use the 5 bolt magazine. Crossbow ace makes a regular crossbow into a 1d10+2 weapon or a repeating crossbow into a 1d10+2 weapon.
Turning a heavy crossbow into a 1d12+2 weapon in return for reload 2 is not even like a little worth it.

Sorry still pretty new if I am reading repeating heavy crossbow correctly you still have a 1 reload action on every time you fire and then after 5 times you would need to use 3 actions to change mags? So if you where using a regular heavy crossbow it would take 10 actions to reload 5 shots versus this taking 8? Yikes... Is the point of this just to fire one volley then drop it?

I guess they figure the balance is that it is a martial weapon instead of advanced?

Vire fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 17, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Might be balanced for gunslingers

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Vire posted:

Sorry still pretty new if I am reading heavy crossbow correctly you still have a 1 reload action on every time you fire and then after 5 times you would need to use 3 actions to change mags? So if you where using a regular heavy crossbow it would take 10 actions to reload 5 shots versus this taking 8? Yikes... Is the point of this just to fire one volley then drop it?

I guess they figure the balance is that it is a martial weapon instead of advanced?

Well, there's a few things going on. Heavy crossbows are definitely intended generally to be a thing that someone fires the first round of combat and drops, I think there might be some other feat support that makes you reload it faster somewhere, I forget. A heavy repeating crossbow is a fine ranged weapon for martial characters(but uncommon), but Crossbow Ace benefits simple crossbows more than martial, so specifically if you have crossbow ace, a regular crossbow is the best crossbow.

ETA: maybe no feat support for heavy crossbows actually, they're just very niche.

M. Night Skymall fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Feb 17, 2023

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

crossbow aces also benefit more from picking something else to play because paizo hates crossbows

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Crossbows are generally bad, yeah, but the precision ranger can make them workable if you do it correctly, if you really want to use a crossbow

Guns are also in the same situation, but they have an entire class dedicated to making them workable

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
[quote="Piell" post=""529896675"]
Guns are also in the same situation, but they have an entire class dedicated to making them workable
[/quote]

does it make it work numbers wise?

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Bottom Liner posted:

does it make it work numbers wise?

Yes, gunslinger are fine (well, depending on subclass), they're basically fighters who are focused on a bad weapon. The subclasses focused on fighting with guns in melee and switching between shooting and melee kind of run into the question of "why don't I just focus on stabbing people, this is a lot of work to basically do the same or less damage", but fighter accuracy + fatal covers for a lot

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 18, 2023

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Actually, I'd use the new fatal crossbow and probably just skip crossbow ace. Treasure Vault has a martial crossbow called the Sukgung. That way you can spend your class feat on gravity weapon or animal companion instead.

It is common, 1d8 piercing, 200 ft range, fatal aim d12.
1 action to reload, 7 gold pieces.

Alternatively an Alchemical Crossbow with Crossbow Ace is really good and ranger helps deal with its 30 range by ignoring the first range increment.

Heavy Crossbow is trash if your goal is to shoot it more than once per combat.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 18, 2023

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

What is the opinion of allowing a first level Gnome Ranger to use their Ancestry Feat to get Animal Companion (Ranger) rather than a Familiar (Animal Accomplice)?

I feel it's a bit too powerful because they used their Class Feat for Crossbow Ace. Although they took a Heavy Crossbow so Reload 2 + choose to command the animal or shoot is gonna suck. I don't know. What do you guys think?

(I'm asking because a player did not understand the difference between a Familiar and an Animal Companion, which is honestly totally understandable).

So I personally would not allow it, mainly because it kinda does weird things with mixing Ancestry and Class feats in ways that could get confusing as future Ranger feats build on it.

Also humans on the whole are kinda bad as an ancestry, so them getting Natural Ambition is whatever.

That said, it's not going to break the game or anything, so w/e.

Vire posted:

Sorry still pretty new if I am reading repeating heavy crossbow correctly you still have a 1 reload action on every time you fire and then after 5 times you would need to use 3 actions to change mags? So if you where using a regular heavy crossbow it would take 10 actions to reload 5 shots versus this taking 8? Yikes... Is the point of this just to fire one volley then drop it?

It's actually simple proficiency is why. But yes, you don't really want to use it as a primary weapon.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Cyouni posted:

It's actually simple proficiency is why. But yes, you don't really want to use it as a primary weapon.

the heavy crossbow is simple, but the heavy repeating crossbow is martial

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Cyouni posted:

So I personally would not allow it, mainly because it kinda does weird things with mixing Ancestry and Class feats in ways that could get confusing as future Ranger feats build on it.

Also humans on the whole are kinda bad as an ancestry, so them getting Natural Ambition is whatever.

That said, it's not going to break the game or anything, so w/e.

Yes sorry I wasn't clear I was referring to the repeating version. But yeah seems like you should only take a crossbow if you are a caster with simple proficiency with strength as your dump stat and want a ranged weapon.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just checked her character sheet and she didn't max her Dex (got it to 16) because she put a boost toward Charisma, which she has no trained skills in. I feel fairly comfortable granting this player a little extra raw power. (I am also encouraging her to fix this)

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 18, 2023

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Other people have said as much already, but yeah you don't have to worry about someone being overtuned when they're using a crossbow. Rangers can actually dish out some serious fighter-tier damage, but it's always "flurry edge with Hunted Shot/Twin Takedown" rather than anything else. A weapon would need some crazy bonuses for burning an action to reload it being worth more than using a different weapon that could make a second Strike instead, even at -5.

Because conditions that lower a target's AC like flat-footed or frightened usually last for entire rounds at a time, as well as how high base Strike damage can get from Weapon Specialization and striking/property runes, you're always going to see the most damage output from making as many Strikes as possible with as high of an attack bonus plus AC penalty net as you can. I've always loved the idea of huge one-shot-kill sniper characters, but in PF2 even the most optimized version of that will land somewhere around half the output of a hasted character with a flourish action just spamming four or five Strikes while also having less flexibility.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Vire posted:

Yes sorry I wasn't clear I was referring to the repeating version. But yeah seems like you should only take a crossbow if you are a caster with simple proficiency with strength as your dump stat and want a ranged weapon.

Ah, yeah. It's mainly that you can easily stack it using things like Crossbow Ace to get up to a d12 weapon at all ranges for 5 shots. You can also use things like Precision on Ranger and stuff like Penetrating Shot to take full advantage of the limited shots, but you'll definitely want a plan for after that. I've been playing a Sniper Gunslinger with an Arquebus, and the repeating heavy can hit close to the higher ranges of its damage consistently (since you're not relying on fatal) at the full range you can accept.

Vanguard Warden posted:

Because conditions that lower a target's AC like flat-footed or frightened usually last for entire rounds at a time, as well as how high base Strike damage can get from Weapon Specialization and striking/property runes, you're always going to see the most damage output from making as many Strikes as possible with as high of an attack bonus plus AC penalty net as you can. I've always loved the idea of huge one-shot-kill sniper characters, but in PF2 even the most optimized version of that will land somewhere around half the output of a hasted character with a flourish action just spamming four or five Strikes while also having less flexibility.

I'm pretty sure my memory tells me that this is only the case when you start getting into the 4th attack from flurry ranger, and that can easily run into problems like cover.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Cyouni posted:

I'm pretty sure my memory tells me that this is only the case when you start getting into the 4th attack from flurry ranger, and that can easily run into problems like cover.

If you use the table for the expected Moderate AC of an at-level enemy as a yardstick (which is arguably higher than average since your party would outnumber an encounter composed of those), then comparing that with expected PC attack bonuses from ability score increases, potency runes, and proficiency bonuses for a typical martial character (rogues, rangers, anyone with up to master weapon proficiency) nets somewhere around a 65% chance to hit (with inclusive 15% chance to crit) against a completely neutral non-modified target all the way from 1st to 20th, only wobbling up and down by 5% at most for a few specific levels.

Because crits inflict double damage, outside of more complex stuff like deadly or fatal you'll be looking at an average of 80% (65% hit + 15% crit) of your base damage on your first Strike in a round against such a target. If you have no MAP reduction at all from agile or flurry ranger, your second Strike at -5 would be 40% hit and 5% crit (45% total) because you still crit on a natural 20 as long as that would still be a hit otherwise. Any Strikes after that at -10 MAP would be at 15% hit and 5% crit (20% total). Since a +1 bonus to your first Strike in a round boosts both your chance to crit and chance to hit, that means that even a Strike at -10 MAP without flanking or frightened or anything would be worth as much as making the target flat-footed to your first Strike under most circumstances, or weakness equal to 20% of your base damage.

That's a generic martial with absolutely no optimization, though. Add in flat-footed from flanking or someone scoring a crit with a flail, frightened from someone Demoralizing the target, agile weapons or flurry ranger edge, an active bonus from Heroism or Inspire Courage, Keen so you crit on natural 19s, or even just the flat +2 from being a fighter and the value of every extra Strike shoots through the roof no matter how deep your MAP is. Even if everyone else in your party is asleep at the wheel, you can grant half of those effects yourself without even spending extra actions with the right equipment and feats.

TLDR: -10 MAP isn't actually that bad, even if you would only hit on a natural 19 or higher that's already better than using Guidance on yourself.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Cyouni posted:

Ah, yeah. It's mainly that you can easily stack it using things like Crossbow Ace to get up to a d12 weapon at all ranges for 5 shots. You can also use things like Precision on Ranger and stuff like Penetrating Shot to take full advantage of the limited shots, but you'll definitely want a plan for after that. I've been playing a Sniper Gunslinger with an Arquebus, and the repeating heavy can hit close to the higher ranges of its damage consistently (since you're not relying on fatal) at the full range you can accept.

crossbow ace only increases the damage die of simple crossbows tho, if you have crossbow ace the only reason to use a repeating heavy crossbow over a standard crossbow is the extra range