Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

If anyone wants a self esteem boost here's my first completed model after 10 years of not touching a brush, and I wasn't any good then either. That Blood Angel above is wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The other thing, like someone said, lots of those painters, that's their job, they only spend their whole day doing that. Also, you don't see what it looked like before the last photo they posted. Some of these guys spend hundreds of hours on a golden demon, while I'm getting bored of what I'm doing after 6 hours, feeling like there's not much more I can do at my skill level. So in that context, yeah, your two hour paint job won't look like a 20 or 200, but is it going to look fine when playing or from a smartphone? It's likely. And it does seem like the more you paint, the faster you get at doing the intro steps, even if you don't feel like you are moving faster

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Problem: I haven't painted a miniature for about eleven years when I burned out of 40k first time, and when I finish converting and assembling stuff and pick up a brush I'm probably going to have regressed and forgotten how to paint.

I'm a much better converter than I was back then though!

So slap some paint on one of your new minis to establish your new baseline. Make sure to save it and post it here in a year with your latest mini to show off your progress.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

Don't really get the guys who blast out minis in batches of dozens. At that point it's a fuckin chore, not a hobby.

It's a different skill but it's just as valid as Mr-NMM-everything-so-hard-it-hurts.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The other thing, like someone said, lots of those painters, that's their job, they only spend their whole day doing that. Also, you don't see what it looked like before the last photo they posted. Some of these guys spend hundreds of hours on a golden demon, while I'm getting bored of what I'm doing after 6 hours, feeling like there's not much more I can do at my skill level. So in that context, yeah, your two hour paint job won't look like a 20 or 200, but is it going to look fine when playing or from a smartphone? It's likely. And it does seem like the more you paint, the faster you get at doing the intro steps, even if you don't feel like you are moving faster

You really need to ask yourself what you're hoping to get out of your models. From a utility standpoint as gaming pieces a Golden Daemon paintjob isn't going to look significantly different to a Contrast job with well selected colours. In some cases it will look worse since the style is optimized for close up viewing and photography, not being seen from 3-6 feet away when all the different shades melt together to make it look like a brown blob. This is the same issue with gimmick styles like sky/earth NMM.

If you're painting because you want to flex on the internet or win a Daemon then you need to spend the time and effort perfecting all of that. If you find yourself sick of the mini after 6 hours then pick a style that produces something functional in that time frame. Better to spend 60 enjoyable hours on a squad than torture yourself making a Golden Demon out of a single figure.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

For me it's, "other people enjoyed looking at it close up with their eyeballs on the table or from arms length." and "I did better than the model before"

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Problem: I haven't painted a miniature for about eleven years when I burned out of 40k first time, and when I finish converting and assembling stuff and pick up a brush I'm probably going to have regressed and forgotten how to paint.

I'm a much better converter than I was back then though!

I took a 15 year pause in the hobby. When getting back into it, I watched a few videos to "brush up" :haw: on old skills and to pick up some new ones. I found out that in the span of time where I didn't touch a single model or pick up a single brush, I somehow became a better painter than I was before.

Before:

After:

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I seem to be getting more crap at painting as time goes on.

Circa 2007?

Need to stop drybrushing and airbrushing and contrasting and all that poo poo.

:rip:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

I seem to be getting more crap at painting as time goes on.

Need to stop drybrushing and airbrushing and contrasting and all that poo poo.

:rip:

The gently caress you on about? That's a great mech paintjob.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I need to level up my bases, mine look like garbage. Yours is good.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Stop grenade fishing for compliments and laugh/cringe at this guy's titty scenery.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Two Beans posted:

The gently caress you on about? That's a great mech paintjob.

When I look back at all my old stuff I used to do a ton of freehand on everything. Probably because I had so few toys so wanted every one to look good. These days I'm just trying to crank them out ASAP before I fall over from toddler-related exhaustion and I think it's starting to show.

:smith:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I need to level up my bases, mine look like garbage. Yours is good.

See - on the old model I hand painted that marble texture onto a piece of plasticard. On the new one I just slapped on texture paint and drybrushed the poo poo outta it before adding some turf. I think one is a better reflection of skill while the other is modelling pay2win since I can afford those fancy basing materials now.

Edit ^^^ Isn't it standard to hide some tittys in every diorama.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Feb 17, 2023

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I feel like I am finding out I'm not really excited about the heavy metal style, especially when it comes to highlights on everything, it gets tedious. My best dopamine is provided when I just Yolo the paint job

Paint How You Want shall be the whole of the law

Axetrain posted:

If anyone wants a self esteem boost here's my first completed model after 10 years of not touching a brush, and I wasn't any good then either. That Blood Angel above is wild.

this owns though???

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

When I look back at all my old stuff I used to do a ton of freehand on everything. Probably because I had so few toys so wanted every one to look good. These days I'm just trying to crank them out ASAP before I fall over from toddler-related exhaustion and I think it's starting to show.

:smith:

Intricate freehand designs on every model in an army-sized collection is going to cause anyone except for the most insane people major burnout if they want to get their poo poo done, if it ever does get done.

Also, aside from maybe shark teeth patterns once in a blue moon, no one is freehanding poo poo on battlemechs. The'ye too small, there's no room on the models, and the human eye can only make out so much detail anyways.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

Edit ^^^ Isn't it standard to hide some tittys in every diorama.

The model train community is notorious for hiding topless women, dudes hanging dong, or people loving somewhere in their layouts.

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

you're all cool and good, keep painting

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Midjack posted:

The model train community is notorious for hiding topless women, dudes hanging dong, or people loving somewhere in their layouts.

Yeah to the extent that some model train companies openly produce titty models with the assumption that people will hide them in train sets.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah to the extent that some model train companies openly produce titty models with the assumption that people will hide them in train sets.

Speaking of, I've been looking for cheap 1/35 scale tanks and these two kits keep making GBS threads up my search results

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbox-Ge...%2C159&sr=8-152

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Box-3...%2C159&sr=8-146

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Midjack posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caganer

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

aphid_licker posted:

Don't really get the guys who blast out minis in batches of dozens. At that point it's a fuckin chore, not a hobby.

Its sometimes nice to brain off and production line stuff - I'f I'm doign a rank adn file game, I find painting them all at the same time helps getting them looking more unified. it also doens't matter to much what the single model looks like when there are 20 of them in a mob. it also helps if your doing rag tag forces, as you can do 5 with blue trousers, 5 with black ect then mixed them up for the tops, and get a really mixed up unit that still looks somewhat cohesive.

I can 100% understand why some people would hate that though.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

PinheadSlim posted:

Speaking of, I've been looking for cheap 1/35 scale tanks and these two kits keep making GBS threads up my search results

Surprised they didn't label it a Battle of the Bulge set.

E: Prisoners of Phwoar!!!

Coward fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 18, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Axetrain posted:

Hey! There is nothing wrong with a simple table top ready paint scheme. All of those fine details you see in the best works are not going to be spotted in competition, or even really noticed with the naked eye. This model is very nicely painted and ready to rock. You did a good job!

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

PinheadSlim posted:

[spoiler]

:nws:
https://www.oglaf.com/rivulets/

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I heard the song in my head and I hope you did too

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkQUGojcgRU&t=93s

1:33 second mark. I don't know why it never occurred to me before that was an option. Man, gently caress pinning, I've got a new technique I'm going to master.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Coward posted:

E: Prisoners of Phwoar!!!

Goddamnit!

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Tzeentch has gone too far

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Slyphic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkQUGojcgRU&t=93s

1:33 second mark. I don't know why it never occurred to me before that was an option. Man, gently caress pinning, I've got a new technique I'm going to master.

Ive seen some old documentaries where sculpting is all done with solder, wild times

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

working mom posted:

Ive seen some old documentaries where sculpting is all done with solder, wild times

Oh man that brings back memories. When I was a teenager, I had a metal Giant Eagle model for warhammer where the wing refused to stay on even with pinning. So my dad helped me solder it on. It... did not go well. The wing stayed on, but the join had some very obvious melt damage.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

chin up everything sucks posted:

It... did not go well. The wing stayed on, but the join had some very obvious melt damage.
It's only got a couple angles, but that neck join he did looks loving seemless. I've done worse with greenstuff or filler. I guess it helps you get practice when you're a caster and can just chuck the fuckups back in the melting pot and try again.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Standard solder would probably have a melting point comparable to the mini, so a wrecked joint would make sense. Low temp solder used with good temperature control should be ok.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Only immediately :sax:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

goatface posted:

Standard solder would probably have a melting point comparable to the mini, so a wrecked joint would make sense. Low temp solder used with good temperature control should be ok.

Live and learn. I still used that Giant Eagle for years.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

GreenBuckanneer posted:

"Run away" by Sunstroke project and Olia Tira from Eurovision I assume, but I also could be "Who Can It Be Now?" from Men at Work.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gandalf sax, though I also feel like the sax solo from Last Word to the Firing Squad by RTJ would also fit

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

chin up everything sucks posted:

Oh man that brings back memories. When I was a teenager, I had a metal Giant Eagle model for warhammer where the wing refused to stay on even with pinning. So my dad helped me solder it on. It... did not go well. The wing stayed on, but the join had some very obvious melt damage.

My dad did the same thing for me with my 5th edition Slann Mage-Priest, because the contact points for the throne and its bearers were so loving small that it literally would not support its own weight with super glue

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Foolster41 posted:

"Run away" by Sunstroke project and Olia Tira from Eurovision I assume, but I also could be "Who Can It Be Now?" from Men at Work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-istquWjZ8M

e. I never knew it was from Eurovision!
vvv

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 21, 2023

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

So the first one.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
https://i.imgur.com/fH5tzkY.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

:sigh: