Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lucina's intro/battle version is the best :colbert:

That piano send off is so hot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I decided to make Etie a Swordmaster this time through because, why not? She has natural strength, and I assume Swordmaster will give her speed, and what else do you need?

I'm also using Pannette this time after benching her last time. I put her on a wyvern, and she's a flying death machine.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Natural 20 posted:

The +4 is because of the double damage on flying. To me as that widens to a +8 on enemy pieces that you absolutely cannot double unless you're using Lyn, Anna becomes far more valuable.

My archers doing physical damage on Maddening is basically not something I care about since they're not one rounding anything grounded no matter what and almost everything I have kills in two rounds. They're there to cause backup attacks and to shoot down fliers.

Unless they changed the formula specifically for this game for the first time since Path of Radiance, you don't double your final attack value for effective weapons, you triple the weapon's mt. The character's stats do not get multiplied. Anna with 10 magic shooting a 19 might radiant bow at a flyer is 10+(19x3) damage before res. Fogado with 8 magic shooting a 19 might radiant bow at a flyer is 8+(19x3) damage before res. The power of the weapon has a much more significant effect than the character doing the shooting.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm reasonably certain that the formula for effective weapons is that the might of the weapon triples, not that atk doubles. Multiplying weapon might has been the formula in every game except heroes. (It's possible I'm misunderstanding what you're saying)

Oh well then I'm just an arsehole who's wrong. Yeah alright, Anna's not justifiable because my understanding of the weapon formula was from heroes. 2 MT might make the difference but loving just give Fogado a spirit dust and move on with your life.

Christ alive. I feel like an idiot.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Natural 20 posted:

Oh well then I'm just an arsehole who's wrong. Yeah alright, Anna's not justifiable because my understanding of the weapon formula was from heroes. 2 MT might make the difference but loving just give Fogado a spirit dust and move on with your life.

Christ alive. I feel like an idiot.

You're not an idiot

Intsys are idiots for maintaining a mechanic for over 30 years and NEVER ACTUALLY EXPLAINING IT

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
I'm slow as hell and got distracted by other stuff so I'm still playing the game's campaign for the first time on Hard Classic. Hit Chp 21 today and oh my christ

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How is Alear surprised by the revelation that there are other worlds? It's chapter 20+ you've had emblems this whole time and bracelets telling you "in my world...." It's so not a spoiler I'm not even going to spoiler tag it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Supremezero posted:

You're not an idiot

Intsys are idiots for maintaining a mechanic for over 30 years and NEVER ACTUALLY EXPLAINING IT

If you wanna be pedantic the modern effective damage formula is only twenty years old. FE1-5 use the far simpler Effective Damage = autocrit and critical hits were far more potent since they were Attack x 2.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That's just genealogy

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well, Gaiden and echoes also have unusual (and different) systems for weapon effectiveness because of their unusual weapon systems but neither of them are autocrit, and the marth games and thracia just use tripled weapon mt.

Doubling attack on a crit instead of tripling damage is in both jugdral games but everything else in the series uses triple damage

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 18, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

That's just genealogy

Oh, my bad. Guess it’s been a janky and obtuse mechanic for 30 years after all!

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I don't know who decided that chapter 13's fliers should be entirely axe and sword, but that does let a base level Kagetsu changed over to Wyvern Knight solo the entire waterfront for free even on Maddening. It would have taken every single incoming attack over the course of the entire chapter hitting him to kill, assuming that the ones with Smash weapons could even survive long enough to attack him.

Amazing comedy. I'm looking forward to getting Roy to Bond level 15 again so I can see whether Wyvern Knight Kagetsu with the Sword of Seals is still the utter juggernaut he was on Hard.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Einander posted:

I don't know who decided that chapter 13's fliers should be entirely axe and sword, but that does let a base level Kagetsu changed over to Wyvern Knight solo the entire waterfront for free even on Maddening. It would have taken every single incoming attack over the course of the entire chapter hitting him to kill, assuming that the ones with Smash weapons could even survive long enough to attack him.

Amazing comedy. I'm looking forward to getting Roy to Bond level 15 again so I can see whether Wyvern Knight Kagetsu with the Sword of Seals is still the utter juggernaut he was on Hard.

It's Kagetsu

He could probably do that to lance fliers too.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Einander posted:

Well, to be fair, that’s impossible without DLC.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Perhaps they should have waited on Maddening and figured out the balance for it including the DLC.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

Zoran posted:

Well, to be fair, that’s impossible without DLC.

Hmm, true, you can't get the staff affinity for Griffin Rider either until chapter 14. Chloe could do the same as a Wyvern Knight with a sword and Lyn, though, it would have taken just a little more support.

(And have been much less funny.)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, my bad. Guess it’s been a janky and obtuse mechanic for 30 years after all!

Easily the most hosed up localization change in human history is when the international version of Blazing Blade changed effective damage from triple to double

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

Perhaps they should have waited on Maddening and figured out the balance for it including the DLC.

Nah, DLC being OP is fine and balancing Maddening under the assumption that you have it means that it would probably suck to play without it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

WrightOfWay posted:

Nah, DLC being OP is fine and balancing Maddening under the assumption that you have it means that it would probably suck to play without it.

Instead, provide a Maddening+ as part of the dlc that's just maddening rebalanced for dlc :eng101:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Natural 20 posted:

The DLC just kinda seems goofy in this game, like having extra engage rings sounds pretty cool but in practice it doesn’t seem to jive well with the game considering what it’s going for mechanically/narratively.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

Easily the most hosed up localization change in human history is when the international version of Blazing Blade changed effective damage from triple to double

To be fair I think that change ended up being universally applied to POR if I’m reading Serenes right, but still a weird change that doesn’t feel super well thought out with stuff like just shrugging off effective damage as an inconvenience and making Lyn/Eliwood worse. Otoh, thinking of how strong Wolf Beil would be in FE7 JP is kinda terrifying.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The DLC is implemented in a way that you're free to use exactly as much of it as you want to. If you're worried about the DLC making it too easy, don't do the stages or get the bracelets. Probably the only annoyance is having to keep track of the gold/weapons they hand you, which I would agree should be shuttled off into a box you have to open instead of just dumped in your inventory.

Maddening with all DLC enabled is still definitely substantially harder than Hard with no DLC. Most of the insanely earth-shatteringly powerful stuff like Corrin/Byleth/Micaiah is vanilla - the only current DLC emblem that compares to that level of raw "the game is owned now" power is the Edelgard bracelet specifically because of her ability to spam out additional turns to one round bosses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If I look back at my maddening run, DLC would help with some extra exp and sp, but also some pure raw stats help from early game tiki would help alongside edelgard just being a top 5 emblem (because a lot of Emblems fall off late game offensively).

My horror when I realized Boucheran can only promote to zerker since bow prof doesn't exist until the start of 12.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I.... I think this might be my least favorite Fire Emblem game that I've played so far? I've played 14 chapters so far, so I'm a little over halfway into the game storywise. The story and the characters are practically nonexistent at this point. And unfortunately, I think the switch to using all 3-D models really exacerbates how dull the plot is. The VN-esque style of the previous games at least let you fill in the gaps with your imagination, but here you are stuck seeing characters stand next to each other while they exposit--oftentimes 5 feet away from each other, only to teleport to opposite ends of the map for battle. Something about this really rubs me the wrong way, especially because Alear is constantly hanging out with Alfred and Diamant in these cutscenes and they have no personality when they're not in their supports.

I know that technically, Fates and Three Houses had gigantic casts, but they gated them behind different routes, so you still at least felt like you had a squad that was close-knit with each other. Engage tosses so many characters at you that they only relegate the crown royalty to cutscenes. The problem with this is that the crown royals have no chemistry with each other in cutscenes. So the game feels completely lobotomized as characters talk ceaselessly about magic rings. And the loving magic rings are worst of them all, because they are literally, by design, one-dimensional cutouts of actual characters. So it's a game about two-dimensional characters fretting over one-dimensional characters.

The Somniel is worse than the Academy to me, because it feels completely superfluous and yet is also where 90% of the extended gameplay mechanics are located. The fact that it is just kind of some floating castle disconnected from the world really doesn't do it any favors. The Academy was too much for subsequent playthroughs, but at least in the first run it was novel and had a good sense of being a part of the world. In retrospect, I think that Fates actually did the "My Castle" mechanic perfectly, by virtue of being a breezy 2D interface that you can navigate quickly and easily, while still having charm.

I think the way class changing and skill inheritance works is really lopsided and wonky. Each step is easy in itself, but they're gated behind so many menus and loading screens that I just never want to interact with them. I also personally really prefer for characters to feel some connection to their classes. In my opinion, the class structure in this game is like, just one step too freeform (while still being really tedious and arbitrarily gatekept), to the point that characters feel like kind of nebulous collections of stats and abilities.

I also am not a fan of the character designs, which are cute on their own, but that I think really highlight the sense of nebulousness of the setting and its characters. I'm sure that the grab-bag of clashing aesthetics was a deliberate choice since the whole game is a grab-bag tribute to the older games, but I don't think it works for me.

Getting Byleth's emblem and hearing the little intro fanfare of Seasons of Warfare was a bit of a shock, because I was like oh, a game that made me feel something! In Three Houses, being 14 chapters in means you've almost finished Crimson Flower. It just feels like there's no comparison between the two games as far as their characters and stories are concerned.

I think playing Triangle Strategy kind of really helped me figure out what qualities I like most in strategy RPGs (interesting character dynamics and characters who have to navigate political quagmires), and Engage basically leans as far away from those qualities as possible. Gameplay-wise it's mostly above-average I guess.

Of the Fire Emblems I own, I still have to play Shadows of Valentia and finish Sacred Stones, so maybe those will be more my speed.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

I'm consciously not using the Engage mode on the Edelgard Bracelet in this Maddening playthrough. There are a lot of gimmicks in the stages that just shatter like glass when you give a fast flier access to a high-attack Killer Longbow and +12 to their attack damage, and that's not even getting into all of the extra turn nonsense or the benefits of having another good Engage attack on tap. Even without Engaging it's providing pretty big Str, Dex and Def boosts and full SP gain, so it's still incredibly good.

Also the proficiencies. Extra sources of proficiencies are nice.

Last Celebration posted:

The DLC just kinda seems goofy in this game, like having extra engage rings sounds pretty cool but in practice it doesn’t seem to jive well with the game considering what it’s going for mechanically/narratively.

Even ignoring those aspects, the DLC is somewhat awkwardly placed because you have continual mechanical pressure to just do the main story instead, in part because the DLC chapters tend to be big experience pinatas. Before chapter 10, there's a very limited number of Master Seals and Second Seals, so you're risking ramming the level 20 cap if you gain too many levels from the DLC; after chapter 10, there's a ring crunch, and gaining a bunch of levels is going to be bad for your SP gain. Plus, a lot of the characters later in the game are better than the ones before, so if they're going to be on your team, don't you want to grab them before you do stages that'll get you a bunch of levels?

I keep thinking of when it'd be most useful to do them and ending up at "after chapter 16, 17 or 19," which is pretty crazy considering how strong extra Emblems are.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The divine paralogs break the game both mechanically with powerful emblems you can get early (Tiki) and thematically. oh no the divine dragon lost all his emblem rings! Well, except those bracelets. And oh no you're corrupted and can't use the emblems... Well, except...

Unrelated but I just finished chapter 22, the expo dump and:

No! Don't trap me in the ring nooooooo

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Kanos posted:

The DLC is implemented in a way that you're free to use exactly as much of it as you want to. If you're worried about the DLC making it too easy, don't do the stages or get the bracelets. Probably the only annoyance is having to keep track of the gold/weapons they hand you, which I would agree should be shuttled off into a box you have to open instead of just dumped in your inventory.

Maddening with all DLC enabled is still definitely substantially harder than Hard with no DLC. Most of the insanely earth-shatteringly powerful stuff like Corrin/Byleth/Micaiah is vanilla - the only current DLC emblem that compares to that level of raw "the game is owned now" power is the Edelgard bracelet specifically because of her ability to spam out additional turns to one round bosses.

I just kinda prefer Maddening to be the no holds barred punch each other in the face version of the game rather than a mode where I actively have to hold a bunch of poo poo back otherwise I'm not getting the real experience.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I think it would be lame and scummy to design the hardest difficulty around the dlc power lol. Although I remember when awakening came out people thought Lunatic was impossible without the grinding dlc but it sure was a noticeable step up to have right next to the free exp map

The DLC skews on the side of powerful to make sure it gives you some cool toys worth the money, but let’s not fool ourselves it’s also a way to get a power boost for money and intentionally so

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There's nothing stopping them from making maddening+ in a later patch

We didn't even have maddening at launch of FE3H

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'm glad that the difficulty which came in the base game is not designed around paying an extra thirty dollars

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
it's too bad that fire emblem's first ever translation (the main character's name) accidentally missed a significant thematic point, which would have been neat in engage particularly

there's a pretty big distinction between summoning a guy named Mars, after the roman god of war, and a guy named Marth, from super smash bros melee

which is to say, i think that if Marth was Mars then Engage would be more explicit about treating the Emblems as representatives of a pantheon of gods rather than Some Guys

(this is also why Archanea and its associated games have so much greco-roman stuff in them)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I haven't brought the dlc yet because I want the proper difficulty experience and am having a great time.

Will probably get it for run 2, hyped to have Soren and the 3h kids.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

in more positive news I beat this today
really enjoyed it, only 2 real complaints are that the difficulty on hard fell off after chp 11 and never really came back (although it wasnt a boring pushover like 3h at least) and the early story/character stuff really makes a bad impression. But i think it really nailed feeling like the older style games
i'll move onto a maddening run eventually but the anniversary juice worked and i wanna try and beat the tellius games next games, so that will be a bit of a break before i come back

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Cephas posted:

I.... I think this might be my least favorite Fire Emblem game that I've played so far? I've played 14 chapters so far, so I'm a little over halfway into the game storywise. The story and the characters are practically nonexistent at this point. And unfortunately, I think the switch to using all 3-D models really exacerbates how dull the plot is. The VN-esque style of the previous games at least let you fill in the gaps with your imagination, but here you are stuck seeing characters stand next to each other while they exposit--oftentimes 5 feet away from each other, only to teleport to opposite ends of the map for battle. Something about this really rubs me the wrong way, especially because Alear is constantly hanging out with Alfred and Diamant in these cutscenes and they have no personality when they're not in their supports.

I know that technically, Fates and Three Houses had gigantic casts, but they gated them behind different routes, so you still at least felt like you had a squad that was close-knit with each other. Engage tosses so many characters at you that they only relegate the crown royalty to cutscenes. The problem with this is that the crown royals have no chemistry with each other in cutscenes. So the game feels completely lobotomized as characters talk ceaselessly about magic rings. And the loving magic rings are worst of them all, because they are literally, by design, one-dimensional cutouts of actual characters. So it's a game about two-dimensional characters fretting over one-dimensional characters.

The Somniel is worse than the Academy to me, because it feels completely superfluous and yet is also where 90% of the extended gameplay mechanics are located. The fact that it is just kind of some floating castle disconnected from the world really doesn't do it any favors. The Academy was too much for subsequent playthroughs, but at least in the first run it was novel and had a good sense of being a part of the world. In retrospect, I think that Fates actually did the "My Castle" mechanic perfectly, by virtue of being a breezy 2D interface that you can navigate quickly and easily, while still having charm.

I think the way class changing and skill inheritance works is really lopsided and wonky. Each step is easy in itself, but they're gated behind so many menus and loading screens that I just never want to interact with them. I also personally really prefer for characters to feel some connection to their classes. In my opinion, the class structure in this game is like, just one step too freeform (while still being really tedious and arbitrarily gatekept), to the point that characters feel like kind of nebulous collections of stats and abilities.

I also am not a fan of the character designs, which are cute on their own, but that I think really highlight the sense of nebulousness of the setting and its characters. I'm sure that the grab-bag of clashing aesthetics was a deliberate choice since the whole game is a grab-bag tribute to the older games, but I don't think it works for me.

Getting Byleth's emblem and hearing the little intro fanfare of Seasons of Warfare was a bit of a shock, because I was like oh, a game that made me feel something! In Three Houses, being 14 chapters in means you've almost finished Crimson Flower. It just feels like there's no comparison between the two games as far as their characters and stories are concerned.

I think playing Triangle Strategy kind of really helped me figure out what qualities I like most in strategy RPGs (interesting character dynamics and characters who have to navigate political quagmires), and Engage basically leans as far away from those qualities as possible. Gameplay-wise it's mostly above-average I guess.

Of the Fire Emblems I own, I still have to play Shadows of Valentia and finish Sacred Stones, so maybe those will be more my speed.
idk this just sounds like you don't like fire emblem much at all?

seeing characters stand next to each other while they exposit is just the same as three houses? not sure how not having the portraits makes that big of a difference. fates' total cast is about twice the size of engage's, with each version having a similar sized cast to engage, so i have no idea what your comparison there is about. i agree that it'd be better if the royals got to contribute to the main plot a bit more & that they don't really add much to most of the main plot cutscenes they appear in, but that side of things isn't much of a step down from three houses where most characters barely contribute to the main plot either (which is just standard for fire emblem due to the awkwardness of large casts + permadeath). it's pretty standard for fire emblem to have all the interesting character stuff in the supports, that's also how it was in three houses for the most part, and there are still interesting character dynamics there in engage too.

the class structure is a lot more restrictive than three houses or fates so again, i'm largely not sure what you're talking about. i don't know why you'd want it to be more restrictive - if you don't want to change classes then just don't, you can get away with that fine except probably on maddening? i do agree that the menus for all that stuff are pretty clunky though, with the relevant menus split across too many different areas.

idk what you mean by the clashing aesthetics - the game has a distinct style and sticks to it, it doesn't feel like a grab-bag of different styles. you can dislike that style if you want of course

crimson flower, while compelling, is also a gigantic mess in terms of storytelling and unusually short for a fire emblem game due to three houses biting off way more than it could chew.

if you want interesting character dynamics, that's all in the supports. if you want 'characters who have to navigate political quagmires' then that's pretty particular and obviously this game doesn't have it, but neither do most fire emblems. if you want stories with a fair bit of depth to them then you're going to be out of luck with most fe games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

lih posted:

idk this just sounds like you don't like fire emblem much at all?

I think we need to stop this, Engage is also an outlier. And so is SoV, and conquest, etc.

As someone that played the other srpgs, SoV would definitely be up your ally Cephas. Because characters are more close-knit and give introspective updates after each major story beat in a way Engage doesn't really.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This game is extremely good and da best and everything but its kinda weird to say if you don't like it you don't like or understand fire emblem. Not sure i'd really call this game a big outlier for the series either or whatever but sometimes you just don't vibe with a game.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
sorry if this statement is too controversial for the fanbase, but I think it's okay to let people have opinions

Engage does a bunch of things differently. You are allowed to like or dislike each thing separately, and form an impression of the game based on the sum of those. That is not an indictment of the quality of the game, and doubly not an attack on people who have different opinions.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I know they want to show off all their pretty models, but can we go back to map sprites? Anyone who says the can tell paladins, royal knights, and great knights apart at a quick glance is lying their rear end off and the infantry classes are just as bad. At least the color coded weapon icons from heroes ontinue to exist and are awesome

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

I know they want to show off all their pretty models, but can we go back to map sprites? Anyone who says the can tell paladins, royal knights, and great knights apart at a quick glance is lying their rear end off and the infantry classes are just as bad. At least the color coded weapon icons from heroes ontinue to exist and are awesome

idk, this just kinda sounds like maybe you don't like Fire Emblem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We cannot go back to map sprites, but we can have more obvious model differentiation. I hope.