Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hraathgar
Jan 21, 2016

silvergoose posted:

aaaaaaa that one

Yeah, I learned about mahjong from a twitch stream and that's what they called it. I'll forever know it by that name. I also call the four winds one "windboss" for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Signed up for Mahjong Soul's Catfood Bowl tournament and made it into the initial 100 qualifiers, let's see how it goes! :toot:

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Good luck! I'm down in E1 so I'm not even close to being able to take part in such things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Every so often I think about going back into MahSoul, but I get tilted playing against *bots* with no stakes in FFXIV so maybe I just do not have the mentality for this game.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Maxwell Lord posted:

Every so often I think about going back into MahSoul, but I get tilted playing against *bots* with no stakes in FFXIV so maybe I just do not have the mentality for this game.

That is entirely plausible. It's a game that can lead to *such* mental table flipping.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Hraathgar posted:

This absolute chad of a player eventually fell to a tanyo from the west player with 6 dora. Sanbaiman and death. He kanned for our sins. I'm pretty sure the lesson here is to always kan? Yes, that must be it.

Huh? The player in West seat isn’t in Tanyao because they have a pon of Wests, and the player to your left isn’t in tanyao either because they have a pon of North and a pon of hatsu… or rather, kans of both of those.

That being said, East was tenpai for one of the single rarest Yaku of all… just having four kans is automatically a yakuman no matter what they are

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

silvergoose posted:

That is entirely plausible. It's a game that can lead to *such* mental table flipping.
I think I tilt more at riichi than when I played online poker for not-in-over-my-head-but-significant-to-me amounts of real money in the '00s. If you hit me for a few han in East 1 I'm likely to push garbage hands with complete disregard for what I'm discarding until I go negative.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
*dies in Elden Ring with 65,000 souls* whelp. I guess it's my own fault for not playing well enough. I'll get better

*gets ron'd once for 1000 points* I will end your bloodline. And I will kill you last so that you suffer the most

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Maxwell Lord posted:

Real people are significantly easier opponents than the FFXIV bots however.

I half suspect even the novice table plays perfectly and just shoots for lower scoring hands.

I thus have better luck on the higher ranked tables since I'm not having to race the bots to trash hands.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 6, 2023

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Day 1 of Catfood Bowl qualifiers done! :toot: If you're not familiar with the rules, it uses WRC rules, which is mostly the same as regular play but with some adjustments to make it less random:
  • No abortive draws
  • No nagashi mangan
  • No bankruptcy or West extension, so everyone always gets two dealerships
  • The last dealer keeps going until they're noten or someone else wins
  • Headbump is on, so if multiple players ron only the first one in seat order from the ronned player gets the win
  • Kan doras are always revealed immediately (in normal play this only applies to closed kans)
  • Max score for a hand is yakuman (i.e. no double yakumans or higher)

The metrics used to rank the players are the best 5 consecutive games, scored using a +15/+5/-5/-15 uma, i.e. you take your score/1000, substract 25 and the apply the modifiers based on your final placement. I played 10 games over 5 hours with a record of 3121231331 and ended up with +69.3 so far (nice), which put me at 15th overall. For comparison, the current top player managed to get over 200, which is an average of at least 50k points per game, more if any of them weren't 1st place. :eyepop:. That +69.3 score won't keep me in 15th for long though, since last year 16th place ended up with +114 and those games were played without red 5s; the consensus among players is that you need either a streak of five 1sts or four 1sts and one 2nd with a very high scoring 1st in order to have a chance to qualify.

The tournament playstyle is also very different from ranked, due to the rules requiring consecutive high scoring games. The general strategy is to get one high scoring 1st place and try to coast on it for the next 4 games, so players who are starting their streak will riichi more aggressively and kan more often.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

Double post to update on the qualifiers, I ended up with 113.1 which places me at 19th (possibly lower as games continue) and there's only about 2 hours left, so it's unlikely I'll be able to start a new streak. End of the line for me. :negative:

I had a really strong game yesterday with two baimans, one from a dora kan that turned into double doras, followed by a yakuhai dora 3 that turned into toi toi + three concealed triplets, which got me to 111. Then I had another decent game today which added the small bump to 113, but there was a 4th in between both games which is why it ended up just being a +2 increase. I did try to convert that game into a new streak, but that got ended by an unlucky game where the first dealer got a baiman and no one could make a dent in their score.

Still, it was fun to grind out all those matches, and I ended up with a surprisingly good record: 26 matches played, with a spread of 12/6/6/2; I just wasn't able to turn it into a streak. If I could get that kind of performance in Jade room I'd be climbing in record speed! :eyepop:

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
did a cursory search and didn't see--are there any modernish clients for chinese/international mahjong? it turns out my entire extended family has been playing that way and i don't want to get into riichi and be a dunce when it comes to hanging out with my aunts.

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009
It took me exactly one year from promoting into Expert / Gold Room, but I finally achieved entry into Master / Jade Room on Mahjong Soul.

The latter image is the full history of (South only) games from my Gold Room career. Based on my stats, I'm not really sure how things are going to go in Jade Room. My win rate is pretty low, but the average hand value is also pretty high. I'm sure a lot of that is thanks to my extremely low call rate. It feels like the result of that kind of play style is that I end up getting relatively small 1sts and 2nds and poorer 3rds and 4ths. (That busting rate feels kinda high.) I get the inkling I'll still need to improve my speed and efficiency to be able to keep up with the more advanced player pool. I can definitely tell there's still room for improvement there, if only so I can get the headspace to start putting more attention onto what my opponents are doing.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I'm just learning riichi mahjong so excuse the stupid question. Am I in furitan here because I don't have the 1-han minimum? Would I have been able to tsumo if I had a N or S triplet instead of E?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It's not furiten until you discard that six, but yeah you can't go out because you have no yaku. North or South, or dragon, or some other way to score.

Dora, notably, do not count as a yaku, and some yaku are closed hand only.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Yeah if you had a North or South triplet you'd have 1 Yaku. Easts are usually 1 Yaku because most people
play 1 round games, so the round wind is always East but if you play 2 it'll shift to South and East is only useful as a seat wind, or the uhhh color straights or other yaku that just need a general or honor triplet

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Buschmaki posted:

most people
play 1 round games

This is only true in the lower ranks. Gold and up becomes more and more 2 round favored.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Relyssa posted:

This is only true in the lower ranks. Gold and up becomes more and more 2 round favored.
And I found jumping from East to South lobbies at Gold was like moving up a skill level too

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Relyssa posted:

I'm gonna have to get out of silver fast then cause I find 2 round games avoid the "last-place avoidance syndrome" that 1 round seems to incentivize

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I'm gonna have to get out of silver fast then cause I find 2 round games avoid the "last-place avoidance syndrome" that 1 round seems to incentivize

last place avoidance is a consequence of the ranking system, instead of ranked point gain/ loss being equally balanced around placement like +20/+10/-10/-20 it's biased like +20/+10/0/-30, with the -30 getting worse and worse the higher your rank is

it's not that bad in silver but in gold and higher you need to win more than a single 1st place to make up for a 4th

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think it's also based on remaining points because I've had a Mahjong soul game where I just completed every single hand until someone went negative and even 2nd place lost points.

This will forever remain my greatest mahjong achievement

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 16, 2023

MrBlarney
Nov 8, 2009

Oldstench posted:

I'm just learning riichi mahjong so excuse the stupid question. Am I in furit[e]n here because I don't have the 1-han minimum? Would I have been able to tsumo if I had a N or S triplet instead of E?

Following up on this with an additional elaboration, that you could have shifted downwards on your bamboo sequence towards 456s, which would make up the Three Similar Sequences (sanshoku doujun) yaku. You'd still be in furiten getting there, so you wouldn't be able to win off of another player's discard, but you could still win off of a self-draw.

dragon enthusiast posted:

last place avoidance is a consequence of the ranking system, instead of ranked point gain/ loss being equally balanced around placement like +20/+10/-10/-20 it's biased like +20/+10/0/-30, with the -30 getting worse and worse the higher your rank is

it's not that bad in silver but in gold and higher you need to win more than a single 1st place to make up for a 4th

In Silver @ Adept II and Gold @ Expert I, the rank point bonus/penalty is balanced at 1st place vs. 4th place. But get up to Adept III or Expert III in the same rooms, and you'll need a 1st and 2nd to counterbalance a 4th. Or in other words, a flat placement should theoretically hold you relatively steady in rank, and you just need to do better than the room average to graduate up to the next tier. (Annoyingly, this flat placement point in Jade is at Master I, which means you don't have any wiggle room to adjust as you start playing there. I know that I'm absolutely feeling the struggle in my first two weeks there.)

Buschmaki posted:

I think it's also based on remaining points because I've had a Mahjong soul game where I just completed every single hand until someone went negative and even 2nd place lost points.

Rank points changes are also based off of your in-game points as well, based on how many (thousands of) points over or under your starting 25k you ended at. There's also a +15/+5/-5/-15 uma adjustment that is based off of placement that is independent of the rank points. The in-game points factor becomes less important as the room-based points increase, but in Silver it's still big enough where it is possible to have 2nd place lose net rank points when just one player dominates.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Placement scoring is one spot where MJS just hides a lot of the calculation from you unless you go poking around. There's several steps. First you calculate your "end score":

quote:

End score = ((End points + Oka - Target)/1000) + Uma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_mahjong_scoring_rules#Final_points_and_place
Oka is kind of like a "buy-in" - it's like if you started the game with 30k points but had to pay 5k to play. That's why someone who finishes 3rd with 25k still loses placement points. First place keeps the 20,000 points that everyone forfeited as oka. Here's a plot:

Then you add the "Rank Bonus", which varies depending on the room you play in and your current rank. For Gold room Four player South games, it's: [80/40/0/variable]. An Expert 1 player has a 4th place penalty of -40/-80 (I THINK the higher value is what you get if you place fourth in the lower ranked room you have access to).

Once you're in Gold room you need at least one 1st and one 2nd place finish to balance out a single 4th finish. it's pain.

edits: kept finding problems with the graph

SixteenShells fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 16, 2023

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
4th place penalty is directly tied to your current rank, the difference between lobbies is the reward for getting 1st/2nd.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This remains my greatest mahjong triumph

Heath posted:

Just clowned all over this group of Default-chans

In the bronze rooms of course :lofty:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Buschmaki posted:

This will forever remain my greatest mahjong achievement

This image is too small to read...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

silvergoose posted:

It's not furiten until you discard that six, but yeah you can't go out because you have no yaku. North or South, or dragon, or some other way to score.

Dora, notably, do not count as a yaku, and some yaku are closed hand only.
OK thanks. Furiten vs. "no yaku" was loving me up conceptually. I kept re-reading the furiten rule where it states that you can go out in furiten if you self draw the tile, so I was confused why I couldn't end the round. I'm pretty sure I've got it now.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Furiten was one of those rules that took me a while to grasp and until I did it felt like one of those numberwang-type rules

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Oldstench posted:

OK thanks. Furiten vs. "no yaku" was loving me up conceptually. I kept re-reading the furiten rule where it states that you can go out in furiten if you self draw the tile, so I was confused why I couldn't end the round. I'm pretty sure I've got it now.

Yep! They are separate but important reasons why someone posts "why can't I go out" positions.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Furiten is the worst. Maybe I want to Mr. Magoo my way to a hand, huh? Maybe I don't want to think about what melds I'm going to make. :colbert:

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
The furiten rules make more sense when you consider them from the perspective of skilled players in a world without furiten (which makes them weird and frustrating for beginners). It would feel kinda bullshit to lose to someone in furiten, so they decided to make that illegal.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Even if you arent that skilled but have some notion of defensive playing it really helps

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I still get mixed up once in awhile and end up in furiten if I’m trying to use a big, complicated wait to quickly advance my hand. If I have 7+ tiles near each other in the same suit, there’s a decent chance I’ll botch it, especially if I try to get clever and keep the opportunity for additional yaku available.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It can actually be worth it to go furiten if the tiles are running out quickly and it looks like an exhaustive draw so you just want to be in tenpai. It's a rare case but not quite as rare as you'd think.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Furiten riichi guarantees a tsumo yaku

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
for a very particular sense of guarantee, yes

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Gotta think positive!!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

SixteenShells posted:

Furiten riichi guarantees a tsumo yaku

I try to explain mahjong to my friends and then I read and understand sentences like this and I think maybe they're right and I just have a very specific kind of brain damage that allows me to enjoy this game

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I mean it's all Japanese words, you'd get the same blank looks if you were describing anything else ultra specific in another language's terms.

But then again I love 18xx and if I said "so you take the PRR away from the C&A player but then someone floats the B&O causing too many 2Ts to be bought" you'd probably think I'm speaking in tongues too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Mahjong is not any more complicated than something like texas hold em imo