Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Buff Hardback posted:

Yeah you’d need to be the original purchaser with the original receipt. Sorry friend.

Huh, so old hardware is basically worthless? Don't people sell used iPads all the time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

A Strange Aeon posted:

Huh, so old hardware is basically worthless? Don't people sell used iPads all the time?

You're supposed to disable activation lock and sign out of iCloud/Find My before trading them in or selling them.

If you ever buy an iPad or whatever off Craigslist or FB, you absolutely do it in a public place that has wifi so you can power it on and go through the new user setup to make sure there's no activation lock.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Well that's frustrating. Shame on me, I guess, but I'm not looking forward to just e-wasting something that's in working order.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
You can probably at least part it out or sell it for parts on eBay? I don't know if that model uses the screen that can't work without the code/thumb but that part would at least be usable if not.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Have you tried a séance to contact the deceased and get the password?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Well that's frustrating. Shame on me, I guess, but I'm not looking forward to just e-wasting something that's in working order.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It's an ancient device at this point that doesn't support iPadOS 16. The battery is probably shot too.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

If it happens to be the cellular version, there used to be a “hack” where you could unsolder a couple of components to disable the cellular chips. That would cause the iPad to report its serial number as a fresh device, where normally it would use the IMEI that carries the lock. I have no idea if it still works, or if it ever worked on the Air 2 though.

But expect any Apple or Android device to be activation locked unless you’ve gone through the activation process or watched them remove it. Some senators were getting riled up about device theft, and making stolen devices useless was the industry solution to prevent a law being made.

When I worked at a cell phone store around the time that rolled out, I had people come in, sometimes multiple times, with phones they got from Craigslist that were iCloud locked to the previous owner. Who was never the person that sold them the phone.

Bottom Liner posted:

You can probably at least part it out or sell it for parts on eBay? I don't know if that model uses the screen that can't work without the code/thumb but that part would at least be usable if not.

The Air 2’s fingerprint scanner is paired with the logic board. Ideally, you transfer it to the new screen during a repair. Worst case, you replace it and it works as a home button, but you lose Touch ID.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

You could try your luck with the auction house. They should learn about this situation if nothing else. Depending on how cooperative they are and how you paid for your purchase, you could dispute the charge too.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 17, 2023

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

A Strange Aeon posted:

When you restore your backup to a new device, one of the prompts on your old device is "hey, do you want to wipe it in preparation for giving it away? this will turn off Find My"

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Ipad stays winning

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Hi thread! I picked up a 9th Gen iPad for $250 at Best Buy. I want to get a keyboard case for it but don’t really want to pay the price for the Apple ones since I wasn’t looking to spend much on this.

The only other option I’m really seeing from reputable brands is Logitech. I see the Slim Folio case which just has a keyboard that doesn’t detach from the case, and the Combo Touch case that also has a touchpad and the keyboard acts as a cover that detaches from the case.

Any advice on these or other case recommendations?

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The combo touch is fantastic and you should get it if it works for your iPad

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Ive been using the crapple magic keyboard for a couple weeks or so now and it's doing absolute numbers. Total game changer. haters in shambles.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

The combo touch is fantastic and you should get it if it works for your iPad

I was leaning towards just getting it. How well does it work as a protective case? Is the keyboard portion floppy or sturdy?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

nom epique posted:

Ive been using the crapple magic keyboard for a couple weeks or so now and it's doing absolute numbers. Total game changer. haters in shambles.

For the price it better be good.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nom epique posted:

You mean just their wireless bluetooth kb or the ipad case one? The case one is solidly built but I found out it limited my use too much, I use portrait mode way more than I realized.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I moved the wireless magic keyboard 2 and trackpad 2 i was using with my Mac Mini to my iPad 9 after the update. Works great, and was completely intuitive to figure out.
I just have a cheapo smart folio case+cover from Amazon.
Obviously it's not an all in one solution, but I don't do serious deskwork outside of home anyway.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Buff Hardback posted:

When you restore your backup to a new device, one of the prompts on your old device is "hey, do you want to wipe it in preparation for giving it away? this will turn off Find My"

Only on ipados/ios 15+, older versions won't tell you anything.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

My M2 Pro arrived today and yeah the Magic Keyboard is real nice. Works perfect lying down as well. The Pro is a huge upgrade over my 8th gen base iPad.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if sucks , but Apple being strict on find my iPhone overall is a very good thing. There’s an insane amount of theft with Apple products on all levels, bricking it is really the best deterrent you can do. And to Apple’s credit, they set it up really well and stick to the policy.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

I was leaning towards just getting it. How well does it work as a protective case? Is the keyboard portion floppy or sturdy?

It's not as solid as the Magic keyboard, but if you set it on a desk or surface it'll be fine. It has a kickstand rather than spring to hold the ipad in place. The tradeoff is you get a detachable keyboard, easier portrait mode, and better protection around the sides of the device. The big one for me was being able to swap between landscape and portrait easily, but if you're using it as solely a laptop replacement, go for the Magic keyboard.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

It's not as solid as the Magic keyboard, but if you set it on a desk or surface it'll be fine. It has a kickstand rather than spring to hold the ipad in place. The tradeoff is you get a detachable keyboard, easier portrait mode, and better protection around the sides of the device. The big one for me was being able to swap between landscape and portrait easily, but if you're using it as solely a laptop replacement, go for the Magic keyboard.

Thanks for the input! (And everyone else who answered). I like the idea of the detachable keyboard and being able to have a case and also use it in portrait mode if I need so so I’ll probably go with the Combo Touch case.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I love my Magic Keyboard but oof at the price. I got mine open box and it is still a lot of money to pay.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I might have gotten something different but my use case of using it in bed a lot I wanted something real firm.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

I love my Magic Keyboard but oof at the price. I got mine open box and it is still a lot of money to pay.

Copped mine as an Amazon refurb $160 out the door. Been lit ever since.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nom epique posted:

Copped mine as an Amazon refurb $160 out the door. Been lit ever since.

That’s a really good deal. I think mine was $190.

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

That’s a really good deal. I think mine was $190.

It’s a rip roaring deal for sure OP

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
My Arcade games still work after my sub ended. Is that normal/temporary? Google gives conflicting answers.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

My Arcade games still work after my sub ended. Is that normal/temporary? Google gives conflicting answers.

I would imagine the games will eventually phone home and then stop working.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Quoting myself to see if anyone else has anything I can look at....

dexter6 posted:

Silly issue that I can't fix....

How do I make my iPad audibly ring when I get a phone call? Currently, it alerts, but it is silent. So unless I can hear my phone ringing in the other room or I am looking at my iPad's screen, I will miss the call. My iPad otherwise functions and plays sounds and everything perfectly as expected.

I feel like at some point I purposely silenced the sound but I want it back on now...

Things I've checked:
* Settings -> Notifications -> FaceTime (since there isn't a "Phone" option like iPhone has) -> Sounds -> On
* Settings -> Sounds -> Ringtone and Alert volume -> Set to medium
* Settings -> Sounds -> Change with buttons -> On (I've called myself and used the rocker switches to raise and lower the volume while my iPad is "ringing", and it doesn't cause any sound to be made)
* Settings -> FaceTime -> Notifications -> Sounds -> On (this looks like the same setting above)
* Focus Modes -> Whether turned on or off, make no difference
* Control Center -> Silent Mode -> Off (but also toggled it on and off to troubleshoot).
* Settings -> FaceTime > Calls from IPhone set to ON
* Settings -> FaceTime > FaceTime set to ON

On iPhone:
* Settings > Phone > Calls on other devices > Allow calls on other devices set to ON > allow calls on *devices of choice*

Short of resetting the device, any where else I can look?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Can you not disable mouse acceleration on iPad (for a BT mouse)? Because it feels awful.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Can you not disable mouse acceleration on iPad (for a BT mouse)? Because it feels awful.

That’s probably hidden under Accessibility.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arivia posted:

That’s probably hidden under Accessibility.

That’s what Google suggested, but I haven’t found a setting that actually does that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rinkles posted:

That’s what Google suggested, but I haven’t found a setting that actually does that.

I have a trackpad not a mouse attached to mine but I have settings for speed, acceleration, etc. There's like five different little preference panes under there all the way up to remapping individual buttons.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I just bought the Logitech Combo Touch case for iPad and instantly noticed how awful the pointer control on the trackpad is. The acceleration is bad and it also lets the mouse "drift" after you lift your finger from a swipe motion. It's usable but I'd certainly like to disable these things. You of course, can't, as far as I can tell.

Apple seems to go out of their way to make their mouse experiences awful. On MacOS if you want mouse acceleration that isn't terrible, you have to not use the (absolutely awful) Magic Mouse. But then you are forced with scroll acceleration on your 3rd party mouse scroll wheel which makes scrolling feel floaty and laggy. After tons of searching I had to find a little app someone made to make it scroll like a proper mouse wheel (where 1 wheel click = X number of lines no matter what).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It feels perfectly fine with the Magic Keyboard :shrug:

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

MarcusSA posted:

It feels perfectly fine with the Magic Keyboard :shrug:

Yup

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames
Don’t cop non-crapple products and expect to have a crapple experience. Keep with the path

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

nom epique posted:

Don’t cop non-crapple products and expect to have a crapple experience. Keep with the path

Whatever your gimmick is I hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nom epique
Apr 24, 2022

by VideoGames

Bottom Liner posted:

Whatever your gimmick is I hate it

Bros in here are putting big plastic 24 inch rims they copped off Ali-express on their Ferraris and wondering why it doesn’t drive good. I’m just trying to keep them with the path bro.