Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wait, seriously? How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

The one where half the Kanto Gym Leaders are part of Team Rocket?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

Ah yes, I remember now. This might be our first reoccurring plot relevant legendary to appear in an actual series though (unless Ultra Beasts and Melmetal count that is)

Guess you're not watching Ash's last hurrah, since he's been followed by a Latias he saved in the first episode the entire time. Also there was the mini-arc in BW with Meloetta, and Zygarde, or Squishy, was in like 40 episodes of XY. And yeah basically every legendary or UB for Alola, though it made sense as an ensemble series.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Crosspeice posted:

Guess you're not watching Ash's last hurrah, since he's been followed by a Latias he saved in the first episode the entire time. Also there was the mini-arc in BW with Meloetta, and Zygarde, or Squishy, was in like 40 episodes of XY. And yeah basically every legendary or UB for Alola, though it made sense as an ensemble series.

Oh right, nevermind then (and yes I have been watching the current miniseries)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

the anime is not canon. but, get this—the friggin manga is.

In what respect?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Some interview with Satoshi Tajiri mentioned that he thought the Pokespe Manga was the closest to his original vision of Red and Green.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

Some interview with Satoshi Tajiri mentioned that he thought the Pokespe Manga was the closest to his original vision of Red and Green.

The characters or the games?

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I’ve been watching some of Journeys with my toddler and I noticed that they were basically remaking old episodes, like the one where Team Rocket kidnaps a Ditto that can’t transform right. Then there was an episode with a fake Ho-Oh where Ash says that Ho-Oh is real because he saw one on the day he started his Pokémon journey. A reference to the very first episode, over 20 years ago!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Nessa posted:

I’ve been watching some of Journeys with my toddler and I noticed that they were basically remaking old episodes, like the one where Team Rocket kidnaps a Ditto that can’t transform right. Then there was an episode with a fake Ho-Oh where Ash says that Ho-Oh is real because he saw one on the day he started his Pokémon journey. A reference to the very first episode, over 20 years ago!

TBF that Ditto ep from season 1 was really good IIRC

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Larryb posted:

Wait, seriously? How so?

oh no, not seriously. I’m talking poo poo. I just meant the manga is, as previously mentioned, closer to ~Tajiri’s vision~ (for whatever that means) than any of the other media, and I just think it’s sort of the most interesting depiction of the Pokémon world with the most variety of people and Pokémon doing the most variety of things

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

I’m talking poo poo.

Pretty sure that one's in the off-model comics you're talking about

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Canonically Lt. Surge is a Team Rocket admin and is also eight feet tall and talks like he does in the dub and also fought in Vietnam.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

oh no, not seriously. I’m talking poo poo. I just meant the manga is, as previously mentioned, closer to ~Tajiri’s vision~ (for whatever that means) than any of the other media, and I just think it’s sort of the most interesting depiction of the Pokémon world with the most variety of people and Pokémon doing the most variety of things

Ah ok. Speaking of, was it just the Kanto arc that pulled the “most of the gym leaders (and I think possibly the Elite Four) are in league with the villains” twist or did it happen again in later game adaptations as well?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Larryb posted:

Ah ok. Speaking of, was it just the Kanto arc that pulled the “most of the gym leaders (and I think possibly the Elite Four) are in league with the villains” twist or did it happen again in later game adaptations as well?

Later game adaptations were both more tame and more insane with their stories, often going off into completely unique directions with the characters and story - probably to avoid having to deal with the complication brought on by third games/sequels/remakes

BW2 started in 2013
It ended in 2020

XY, ORAS, and the SM/U chapters all came and went in that time

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Later games also having much more elaborate stories also probably made it more difficult for the manga to come up with creative stories that don't go wildly off-canon.

RSE was probably the last time they really managed to kinda do something creative. After that they lean more into character gimmicks, like manzai or being really into money or science or something.

The RBY and GSC arcs were really fun though. Gold remains the best protagonist, and the gym leader tournament was great.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

As far as I recall RSE was also the only time the remake got a manga adaptation of its own (manga ORAS was essentially treated as a sequel to the original story as well)

Edit: Oh yeah, Yellow got adapted as well

Was all of Special from Kanto to present done by the same person as well or has the manga changed hands a couple times?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 19, 2023

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Larryb posted:

“most of the gym leaders (and I think possibly the Elite Four) are in league with the villains”

I have no recollection of this whatsoever, what was the deal with that storyline?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

indigi posted:

I have no recollection of this whatsoever, what was the deal with that storyline?

I forget what the deal with the Elite Four was but several Gym Leaders such as Surge, Sabrina, and Koga were all members of Team Rocket in the manga (and Blaine was the scientist who created Mewtwo)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

oooh ok, I thought I was misremembering the original games' plotline

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Kanto E4 were also villains for the Yellow arc, Pokemon supremacists due to Lance having empathy powers because Viridian.

Meanwhile Gold & Silver have Pyrce as the big bad and Will/Karen as his child soldiers.

And BW went with the theory that the Striaton Trio were the Ninja Triad all along.

Can't remember anyone else besides Malva being openly with Team Flare after a point, I kinda binged all of PokeSpe and it's a blur.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Malva? :jerry:

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

The Kalos Fire E4 and Holocaster newslady, who openly admits to you she was a Team Flare member before her battle. In the manga she ends up helping TF during the plot.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I still LOL every time I see this word. Incredible work for a children's game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The Kalos Fire E4 and Holocaster newslady, who openly admits to you she was a Team Flare member before her battle. In the manga she ends up helping TF during the plot.

So much backstory and yet so forgettable, just like everything else connected with Team Flare.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Lux Animus posted:

TBF that Ditto ep from season 1 was really good IIRC

I had the VHS tape with this episode on it!

It also had the one where Ash leaves Pikachu with all the other Pikachu because he thinks he'll be happier that way and that's a real gutpunch of an episode when you're 9

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

The Kanto E4 were also villains for the Yellow arc, Pokemon supremacists due to Lance having empathy powers because Viridian.

Meanwhile Gold & Silver have Pyrce as the big bad and Will/Karen as his child soldiers.

And BW went with the theory that the Striaton Trio were the Ninja Triad all along.

Can't remember anyone else besides Malva being openly with Team Flare after a point, I kinda binged all of PokeSpe and it's a blur.

I didn't get deep into the GSC arc, but I have a deeply engrained memory of Lance having his Dragonair use hyper beam to level Vermillion City.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

One of the antagonists in Pokemon GoldJerry. Along with Sue Ellen, the heiress to the RageCandyBar fortune.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I banged my head up against the wall on Ultra Wormholes for years. It didnt matter motion controls turned off or on, I thought it handled like utter handcramp rear end and I could never get it right. So! I found an obscure post somewhere, and am sharing it here. Bc why not?

If you have a hacked 3DS, you can use Checkpoint to add these cheats into Rosalina Menu. They might work on Citra too? Anyway, Ive had some crashes with these. I save, activate the code, get the Wormhole, deactivate, save. I have so many new Legendaries now and soft reset for Shiny is so so easy.

Youre looking at the Pokemon Master of a Shiny Groudon and a Shiny Lugia. Shiny Legendaries, yay! They do exist!

[Ultra Wormhole White & Type 4 v1.2]
005BBFA0 B5076860
005BBFA4 99054804
005BBFA8 D1044288
005BBFAC 46682100
005BBFB0 77012203
005BBFB4 BD077742
005BBFB8 006EAAD0
003FD4EC FA06FAAB

[Ultra Wormhole Red & Type 4 v1.2]
005BBFA0 B5076860
005BBFA4 99054804
005BBFA8 D1044288
005BBFAC 46682101
005BBFB0 77012203
005BBFB4 BD077742
005BBFB8 006EAAD0
003FD4EC FA06FAAB

[Ultra Wormhole Blue & Type 4 v1.2]
005BBFA0 B5076860
005BBFA4 99054804
005BBFA8 D1044288
005BBFAC 46682102
005BBFB0 77012203
005BBFB4 BD077742
005BBFB8 006EAAD0
003FD4EC FA06FAAB

[Ultra Wormhole Yellow & Type 4 v1.2]
005BBFA0 B5076860
005BBFA4 99054804
005BBFA8 D1044288
005BBFAC 46682103
005BBFB0 77012203
005BBFB4 BD077742
005BBFB8 006EAAD0
003FD4EC FA06FAAB

[Ultra Wormhole Green & Type 4 v1.2]
005BBFA0 B5076860
005BBFA4 99054804
005BBFA8 D1044288
005BBFAC 46682104
005BBFB0 77012203
005BBFB4 BD077742
005BBFB8 006EAAD0
003FD4EC FA06FAAB

If you are doing Ultra Moon change the last line from 003FD4EC FA06FAAB to 003FD4F0 FA06FAAA

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kickass, that'll come in handy for someone!

Favourite thing I noticed today is how if the wind gets up and there are Jigglypuffs around, they just blow away

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
If anybody wants a tournament winning Garganacl use the mystery gift password 1STCHAMPSV before it expires tomorrow.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Shneak posted:

If anybody wants a tournament winning Garganacl use the mystery gift password 1STCHAMPSV before it expires tomorrow.

Thanks!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

That one is news to me, the wiki doesn't seem to mention any of that either (and in fact says that they fought the Triad in BW).

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

what do going to classes at the academy do? worth going to?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

what do going to classes at the academy do? worth going to?

Some of them are necessary to advance teacher stories, which can be important. (Raifort for the legendaries, Salvatore for Galarian Meowth)

But overall? Ehh. Your mileage may vary.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

they teach you about features, give hints at hidden stuff, and let you advance the storylines about building rapport with your teachers (at least one of which has a great reward in the form of an otherwise unobtainable Galarian Meowth)

they also give experience candies when you pass your midterms and finals.

despite knowing an absurd amount about Pokémon I found them worth taking because I think the teachers are really likable and fun. and even then I learned stuff, like what the base critical hit rate is. they’re only about 90 seconds each with minimal participation to test your reading comp

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

They're good for explaining things that have previously needed outside knowledge to understand. Shiny odds, that kind of thing. I'm impressed they're openly discussing that in the games now. But yeah there are some rewards for following the stories but mostly it's just cute background stuff.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

history class is my favorite because it’s pure worldbuilding

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Warmachine posted:

Some of them are necessary to advance teacher stories, which can be important. (Raifort for the legendaries, Salvatore for Galarian Meowth)

But overall? Ehh. Your mileage may vary.

Salvatore is great dedicates half of his language classes to deciphering Pikachu noises and then gives you his cat.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

sounds good, ima go do em. Ty everyone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

As someone new to the Pokémon series, taking the classes really helped me understand the game a whole lot better. And taking the midterm and final exams also made me feel like I was in school again, but in a good way?

I dunno, but I enjoyed all of it!