Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmVON4nTgdo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Nektu posted:

Holy poo poo, the fits of nostalgia that will make this kid reinstall this old-rear end game in a futile attempt to relieve her childhood a few decades down the road will be BRUTAL.
But on the other hand it will give her the perfect excuse to try out the newest morrowind mods :)

Hey she has the best chance of any of us of living until Tamriel Rebuilt is finished.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

When she's 80 the mainland will be finished in TR.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I don't think they're new to this thread but it's that time of year again:

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Can't believe Dagoth Ur would just call me out like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTA87EH7LqQ

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

aniviron posted:

I don't think they're new to this thread but it's that time of year again:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Still having a blast – we were walking back to Balmora from Fort Moonmoth and a storm started. Lots of lightning strikes around us and she is freaking out, like get inside NOW.

We get to the main gate and see Hul walking around and she gets ZAPPED by the lightning and goes down – we both absolutely cracked up. Days later and we’re still joking about that lizard that got ZAPPED!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

What mod are you using that adds lightening strikes? Sounds cool.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Hul :negative: but a simple pauper

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Poor Hul. :[ I always befriend her. Last time I played I moved into the South Wall because the uhhhh rent was cheap after certain events transpired and she made a good neighbor.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Proletarian Mango posted:

What mod are you using that adds lightening strikes? Sounds cool.

https://abitoftaste.altervista.org/morrowind/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=24&catid=43&Itemid=10&-Thunders-Lightnings

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Spent days setting up MOST of the Enhanced Vanilla list on Open MW, but I deviated at one point and pulled the list of body mods from the one-day modernization list. And I must have messed something up because suddenly my fisticuffs are purple and so are the limbs of a bunch of NPCs. Blah.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Welcome to Morrowind! Did you register your .BSAs, outlander?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The registration of bsas is real, I thought I had mine registered but I somehow did not

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
They APPEAR to be registered. My OpenMW.ini reads them as this:

quote:

fallback-archive=Morrowind.bsa
fallback-archive=Tribunal.bsa
fallback-archive=Bloodmoon.bsa
fallback-archive=PC_Data.bsa
fallback-archive=TR_Data.bsa
fallback-archive=Sky_Data.bsa

Would not be surprised if I missed something on the implementation though, I'm not really a smart techy type.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Dragomorph posted:

They APPEAR to be registered. My OpenMW.ini reads them as this:

Would not be surprised if I missed something on the implementation though, I'm not really a smart techy type.

This doesn't look right unless your ini is different than the default. It should be something like

Bsa0=morrowind.bsa
Bsa1=tribunal.bsa

Etc

Google it sorry I'm the least helpful n'wah in here

E: durr you're using OpenMW. I don't really know then. When BSAs aren't registered you'll usually see giant yellow exclamation points where meshes aren't loading. It's usually the lowest common denominator answer when you have weird model problems in this old rear end game

kazr fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Feb 18, 2023

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i had extremely weird and hosed up effects that weren't the exclamation points and people going "who's there!? Goodbye" and poo poo like that

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i had extremely weird and hosed up effects that weren't the exclamation points and people going "who's there!? Goodbye" and poo poo like that

one time i managed to get an oblivion installation into a state where everyone had two faces

like, their vanilla face, and a mod headpack face over the top. only one of the faces moved when they talked

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Jazerus posted:

one time i managed to get an oblivion installation into a state where everyone had two faces

like, their vanilla face, and a mod headpack face over the top. only one of the faces moved when they talked

Still an improvement over vanilla Oblivion faces then?

Xinlum
Apr 12, 2009

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Dark Knight

Jazerus posted:

It must be a common issue as my current collection for Oblivion includes a spell dedicated to fixing followers having double faces.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

Say, why is it ticking?
Been realizing that these blue rocks I'm seeing are also some sort of weird... thingy. I tried to register at the openmw forums to ask about it but I'm not getting the confirmation e-mail so I guess I get to try to figure this out myself. Great.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Proletarian Mango posted:

That voice synthesis has a free 1 month trial fwiw

I missed that initially. I thought to get in on the trial this weekend, but it looks like they removed it. Now instead of a 1 month free trial, it's an 80% off coupon for the first month (so $1 starting out, and $5/month from then on, which isn't bad).

-

Question: is there an ideal way of leveling magic skills? The one spell I've used the most is a healing spell, but I only need to cast it once every so often to get myself back to full health, so I'm not casting it over-and-over, and so it's not leveling very quickly. I used a combo of the starting spells I had (Chameleon, Sanctuary, Shield) to help me survive a three-on-one encounter, but for the most part, I haven't found occasions to cast spells, since I can smack enemies to death with my longsword without issue (at least at this stage in the game). Despite that, I've managed to run through a number of the Mage Guild quests.

Should I seek out some specific spells to buy and use? Majors are Alteration, Restoration, and Illusion. Minors are Mysticism and Enchanting. So far, Enchanting seems like the hardest to increase, because you need filled soul gems, and on top of those being expensive to buy, there's the chance the enchanting will fail and destroy the gem.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dragomorph posted:

Been realizing that these blue rocks I'm seeing are also some sort of weird... thingy. I tried to register at the openmw forums to ask about it but I'm not getting the confirmation e-mail so I guess I get to try to figure this out myself. Great.

Try the discord, it's very active

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I missed that initially. I thought to get in on the trial this weekend, but it looks like they removed it. Now instead of a 1 month free trial, it's an 80% off coupon for the first month (so $1 starting out, and $5/month from then on, which isn't bad).

-

Question: is there an ideal way of leveling magic skills? The one spell I've used the most is a healing spell, but I only need to cast it once every so often to get myself back to full health, so I'm not casting it over-and-over, and so it's not leveling very quickly. I used a combo of the starting spells I had (Chameleon, Sanctuary, Shield) to help me survive a three-on-one encounter, but for the most part, I haven't found occasions to cast spells, since I can smack enemies to death with my longsword without issue (at least at this stage in the game). Despite that, I've managed to run through a number of the Mage Guild quests.

Should I seek out some specific spells to buy and use? Majors are Alteration, Restoration, and Illusion. Minors are Mysticism and Enchanting. So far, Enchanting seems like the hardest to increase, because you need filled soul gems, and on top of those being expensive to buy, there's the chance the enchanting will fail and destroy the gem.

Using enchanted items and especially recharging them will give you Enchanting experience. UESP has a list of good ways to get various skills up, although basically anything about messing with trainers with spells is patched in OpenMW: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Hints#Simple_Training_Tricks

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
For other magic skills, xp is gained per spell cast so the easiest way to level is to make custom low-cost spells and cast them repeatedly while you're running around or whatever.

Once you start getting money you can bypass the tedium of leveling skills through training. Unlike later games where you can only train so much per level, in Morrowind it's only limited by your funds and the skill level of your trainer.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

Question: is there an ideal way of leveling magic skills?

Do things that make money and then pay other people to do it for you.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

A 1 second jump spell and 5~ second levitation spell is excellent for alteration

Restore stamina for restoration

10~ second invisibility for illusion

Absorb health is the god spell for mysticism

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Fortify speed for restoration. Fortify personality for 1 second when trading

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Gobblecoque posted:

For other magic skills, xp is gained per spell cast so the easiest way to level is to make custom low-cost spells and cast them repeatedly while you're running around or whatever.

Once you start getting money you can bypass the tedium of leveling skills through training. Unlike later games where you can only train so much per level, in Morrowind it's only limited by your funds and the skill level of your trainer.

yeah i just made a 1 cost spell of each school and ran around casting them when i'm not doing anything

i'm uncertain if cost of spell factors into amount of xp gained by each cast, but it works well enough for now :shrug:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I think damage health takes less spell poimts to craft than elemental damage and gets passed dark elf fire resistance. Could be opposite though I can't remember. Also subject to magic resistance

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

i'm uncertain if cost of spell factors into amount of xp gained by each cast, but it works well enough for now :shrug:

It absolutely does not.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I use a mod that does exactly this to discourage me from doing exactly what you're doing (which I've done in many playthroughs, so I'm not judging)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Next you'll be trying to tell me not to run up ramps jumping like crazy

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
The ideal way to level X is to abuse alchemy to make expensive potions and sell them to pay trainers

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

kazr posted:

A 1 second jump spell and 5~ second levitation spell is excellent for alteration

Restore stamina for restoration

10~ second invisibility for illusion

Absorb health is the god spell for mysticism

I picked up a couple of the spells mentioned. I got Righteousness (Absorb Health), Rest of St. Merris (Restore Fatigue), Charisma (Fortify Personality), and Levitate. I also got Mark, Recall, Telekinesis, Open, and Water Breathing to help with traversal and with opening locked/trapped doors and containers.

I haven't made any unique spells yet, though, because from what I've messed around with, even doing 1sec spells seems to cost a lot (though I guess it depends on the spell).

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The ideal way to level X is to abuse alchemy to make expensive potions and sell them to pay trainers

I have Alchemy as a Minor skill, but I don't how you go about making high value potions, unless you just need to focus primarily getting Alchemy level up to/near 100.

I went and grabbed the Master Alchemy tools from the tower in Caldera, but I don't know what ingredients are best to stockpile.

Schwarzwald posted:

It absolutely does not.

While having it be based on spell cost would maybe be more 'balanced', something I realized is that only four skills seem to factor into Intelligence: Alchemy, Conjuration, Enchant, and Security. Only one of those is a skill you use in combat (Conjuration), so if you didn't take that as a skill, you have to focus on enchanting or alchemy in order to raise your Magicka.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The ideal way to level X is to cast damage skill 100 pts for 1 second on self so you never have to pay trainers

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

a7m2 posted:

I use a mod that does exactly this to discourage me from doing exactly what you're doing (which I've done in many playthroughs, so I'm not judging)

What's the name of this mod? I'm playing a character specializing in summoning, or that was the idea from the start. Sort of disappointed that you don't get more leveling from a more expensive, difficult to cast spell.

Trainers are for power gamers. You have to earn that poo poo through hard work.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Max Wilco posted:

I have Alchemy as a Minor skill, but I don't how you go about making high value potions, unless you just need to focus primarily getting Alchemy level up to/near 100.

I went and grabbed the Master Alchemy tools from the tower in Caldera, but I don't know what ingredients are best to stockpile.

You find a merchant with an unlimited supply of Enhance Intelligence ingredients and brew a potion, then drink I, then brew another then drink it, etc, etc and then pretty quickly every single potion you make is insanely powerful and lasts forever.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Trainers are for power gamers. You have to earn that poo poo through hard work.

Yeah what kinda IDIOT goes to SCHOOL. Real hustlers go to THE SCHOOL of HARD KNOCKS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Except enchant. Anyone who tries to grind enchant manually in Morrowind has the patience of a saint.